• Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
    5,001 replies, posted
[QUOTE=Chekko;27640714]I hope there will be fire arrows and you can arm your bow with multiple arrows at once. Oh and rope arrows, just like in Dark Messiah. That feature was godlike. Or you can make traps, or threaten someone like "If you report me to the guards, i will kill you!" or something like that. Argh, I'm so psyched for this game.[/QUOTE] Well the guys from Dark Messiah are most likely working on the combat for Skyrim, so there's hope.
[QUOTE=Chekko;27640714]or threaten someone like "If you report me to the guards, i will kill you!" or something like that. [/QUOTE] i'd love to be able to go into someone's shop, walk behind the counter, then suddenly thrust a daedric dagger under their throats, silencing their scream for help, calmly bringing them into a back room, taking the keys from them, locking them inside, then stealing from the place and unlocking the door after i'm done too bad games don't let you do that ...and now i want a csi: skyrim questline complete with one-liners
I hope you get the ability to mug/knock people unconscious instead of killing them. After they regained consciousness, if they had seen you, they'd report you to the guards, and if they hadn't, they'd just go "Well, damn" and go on with their lives. I hope to god they have a blackjack in vanilla game, I would literally squeal with joy. It would make sense as well, since I'd expect crime to be a little more frequent, both because of its rural location and because of the decline of the empire. Knocking them out, dragging them into a back alley, and making a scan of their pockets... urglllgglel
I can't wait! I am now working on a time machine to make the date 11/11/11. Hopefully I make it before the release date or I'll have to scrap the time project
[quote="Game Informer website"]One of the more alluring changes to the spellcasting in Skyrim is how you can employ spells in different ways. [B]For instance, you could blast enemies with a flame ball from afar, hold the button down to wield the spell like a flame thrower, place a rune on the ground to create an environmental trap that spontaneously combusts when an enemy steps on it, or equip the spell with both hands to deliver high damage fireball attacks that drain your magicka reserves quickly. The shock and frost spells give players an equal amount of flexibility.[/B] The Havok Behavior technology gives the spells more visual flair than we've seen in past Elder Scrolls games as well. [B]If you cast a frost spell, you'll see the effects on the enemy's skin. If you're wielding the flame spell like a flame thrower, the environment will catch fire for a short while and burn anything that comes into contact with it.[/B][/quote] Other things confirmed: Bows will one-hit kill, but arrows are going to be a LOT rarer in Skyrim than they were in Oblivion. When you get caught while in sneak mode, enemies won't automatically detect you and instead will go into 'alert' mode until they fully see you. Daggers do more damage for sneak attacks than any other weapon (besides the bow), but that may change in the future (A dev was talking about how it feels like you should kill someone if you sneak that close with a dagger, so here's hoping to a kill animation?) Link: [url]http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2011/01/24/skyrim-building-better-combat.aspx?PostPageIndex=1[/url] Holy shit, this game is sounding better and better. [editline]24th January 2011[/editline] late, shower with clocks, but still holy shit the spells effect system omg :gizz:
[QUOTE=Lolthanio;27641872]Other things confirmed: Bows will one-hit kill, but arrows are going to be a LOT rarer in Skyrim than they were in Oblivion. When you get caught while in sneak mode, enemies won't automatically detect you and instead will go into 'alert' mode until they fully see you. Daggers do more damage for sneak attacks than any other weapon (besides the bow), but that may change in the future (A dev was talking about how it feels like you should kill someone if you sneak that close with a dagger, so here's hoping to a kill animation?) Link: [url]http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2011/01/24/skyrim-building-better-combat.aspx?PostPageIndex=1[/url] Holy shit, this game is sounding better and better. [editline]24th January 2011[/editline] late, shower with clocks, but still holy shit the spells effect system omg :gizz:[/QUOTE] How do they explain the rarity of bows though? It's not like Skyrim is devoid of trees. To me it just seems like they're kind of taking the easy way out/making a super weapon. Also, if bows are one hit kills, I don't think there's much of a chance for a crossbow. *sigh*
What if the enemy uses a bow?
Bows are one hit kills... that's a bit shite, I like putting a few into the enemies, before they die, [editline]25th January 2011[/editline] [QUOTE=BmB;27641992]What if the enemy uses a bow?[/QUOTE] I guess you'll have to quick save just before you start attacking ;) herp.
It would be nice to see the enemy stagger violently and try to attack you even with an arrow poking out of his chest. Then put him down with a second one.
[QUOTE=Melon_Mapper;27641995]Bows are one hit kills... that's a bit shite, I like putting a few into the enemies, before they die, [editline]25th January 2011[/editline] I guess you'll have to quick save just before you start attacking ;) herp.[/QUOTE] It's not really all that realistic either, which makes me wonder why they did that. They aren't getting rid of realism to help gameplay, or vice versa. They're just completely throwing away both.
[QUOTE=Achilles123;27642047]It's not really all that realistic either, which makes me wonder why they did that. They aren't getting rid of realism to help gameplay, or vice versa. They're just completely throwing away both.[/QUOTE] Then again, they did say that they're sorting the AI out so they can dodge your spells easier, so I guess they'll do the same with bows.
[quote]Ranged weapons could be effective in Oblivion once you improved your skill level, but you had to pierce enemies with several arrows to take them down. After playing an Oblivion mod that turned the bow and arrow into a formidable weapon capable of one-hit kills, Bethesda decided to adopt that approach. It now takes a lot longer to get off a shot, but the arrows are much more powerful than before. As in Oblivion, you can zoom to aim, and the longer you keep the bow drawn the more powerful your shot will be. Unlike Oblivion, the arrows now violently impact enemies with a satisfying thud. To keep players from coasting through the world plucking enemies from afar, Bethesda has significantly altered the arrow economy to make them a valuable but limited option. You won't be rolling into combat stacked with 50 Daedric arrows anymore. Though you don't have much defense when using the bow and arrow, if an enemy gets too close for comfort you can still execute a bash move, which knocks your foe off balance and gives you time to create distance between you and your target.[/quote] Here's the proof
[QUOTE=Melon_Mapper;27642078]Then again, they did say that they're sorting the AI out so they can dodge your spells easier, so I guess they'll do the same with bows.[/QUOTE] Arrows travel kinda very fast.... at least in real life they do Plus, it doesn't really say that they will be 1 shot 1 kill wonder weapons, they just say it will be a lot more powerful., I don't think it should be taken too literally when it says they're adopting the oblivion mod's approach.
[QUOTE=Lolthanio;27641872]Other things confirmed: Bows will one-hit kill, but arrows are going to be a LOT rarer in Skyrim than they were in Oblivion. When you get caught while in sneak mode, enemies won't automatically detect you and instead will go into 'alert' mode until they fully see you. Daggers do more damage for sneak attacks than any other weapon (besides the bow), but that may change in the future (A dev was talking about how it feels like you should kill someone if you sneak that close with a dagger, so here's hoping to a kill animation?) Link: [url]http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2011/01/24/skyrim-building-better-combat.aspx?PostPageIndex=1[/url] Holy shit, this game is sounding better and better. [editline]24th January 2011[/editline] late, shower with clocks, but still holy shit the spells effect system omg :gizz:[/QUOTE] It never explicitly stated that bows and arrows are going to OHK, it just said they're taking inspiration from mods that did that. Bows will probably be more unwieldy, but much more powerful... just not OHKs.
[QUOTE=White Rabbit;27642119]Arrows travel kinda very fast.... at least in real life they do[/QUOTE] You must never have used bow and arrow on Oblivion then :P, they were pretty slow, compared to real life.
It definitely makes it sound like bows have a big chance to one hit kill enemies though, especially if shot at vital parts. (head, lung/heart maybe?)
[QUOTE=Melon_Mapper;27641995]Bows are one hit kills... that's a bit shite, I like putting a few into the enemies, before they die, [/QUOTE] I hope they don't just turn into ragdolls after hitting them with an arrow, well depending if you hit them in the head. i'd like to see an animation where they try to pull the arrow out before dying. [editline]25th January 2011[/editline] Realistically, you don't die from a hit in your leg..
[QUOTE=Melon_Mapper;27642156]You must never have used bow and arrow on Oblivion then :P, they were pretty slow, compared to real life.[/QUOTE] Bows and Arrows were fucking ridiculous in Oblivion.
[QUOTE=Chekko;27642184]I hope they don't just turn into ragdolls after hitting them with an arrow, well depending if you hit them in the head. i'd like to see an animation where they try to pull the arrow out before dying. [editline]25th January 2011[/editline] Realistically, you don't die from an arrow hit in your leg..[/QUOTE] Hopefully the arrows will actually go into their head instead of you getting a headshot and the arrow sticking in their neck/upper body. Gamebryo :rolleyes: [editline]24th January 2011[/editline] Also, I wish I could say I'll play oblivion again to get back in the spirit. I just can't I've played it too much in my lifetime to get anymore enjoyment out of it.
They're buffing bow damage and increasing the draw time It's not going to be one hit kill, that's just stupid
[QUOTE=aridpheonix;27642230]Hopefully the arrows will actually go into their head instead of you getting a headshot and the arrow sticking in their neck/upper body. Gamebryo :rolleyes: [editline]24th January 2011[/editline] Also, I wish I could say I'll play oblivion again to get back in the spirit. I just can't I've played it too much in my lifetime to get anymore enjoyment out of it.[/QUOTE] I actually can't believe how much I've played Oblivion. I've beaten every quest and all that on at least 4 separate characters, and that doesn't count how much I spent with mods.
[QUOTE=Jund;27642302]They're buffing bow damage and increasing the draw time It's not going to be one hit kill, that's just stupid[/QUOTE] not really if driven with enough force to penetrate armor (based on marksman skill, quality of bow and arrow) any shot to the head or organs would be a killshot, same with any major artery. a bleeding effect when applied to shots that don't kill would also be pretty sweet.
Would be badass if you could shoot other arrows in mid-air.
Would be awesome if your beard could absorb arrows and add them to your inventory. Actually, your bow should be strung with your beard hair. Or maybe your beard stiffens into a bow. [QUOTE=redBadger;27642847]Would be badass if you could shoot other arrows in mid-air.[/QUOTE] The dragon shout that freezes time. Oh god the potential.
I wonder if you can craft arrows, it would certainly be a big help seeing as arrows are going to be rarer.
Not rarer, just cost much more then before. They won't make it hard to find them, since that be stupid to have lack of arrows in a medieval/fantasy world. And bows have been made to shoot slower, be stronger, and be tougher to use on opponents in close range combat. Since there will be staggering and all that.
[QUOTE=redBadger;27642847]Would be badass if you could shoot other arrows in mid-air.[/QUOTE] My "Would be badass " thoughts: -Would be badass if you could pull the arrow out of your body and use it to kill the guy that fired the thing at you, WBB if you could take it out of time stasis as well. -WBB if your agility was high enough and had a hand free you would have a chance to pluck the arrow out of midair like a shaolin monk. -WBB If your strength governed how fast you pull it back, strength should be a major attribute for every non-magic character. -WBB If you could use crossbows, but they wouldn't be the stronger than bows, since in Skyrim bows would be made out of the more springy/strong wood and the stronger cords and a particularly strong person with the right wood/metal bow would be able to fire it better than a crossbow would. -WBB If you could kick down an opponent and stamp his head flat if you are wearing heavy grieves. -WBB If animals that can get skinned/butchered will look skinned/butchered after you take whats there and the smell would attract carnivores like bears, wolves, trolls, maybe even [B]bear[/B]ds. Finally, I would like a quest to inquire on the origin of the ebony arrows of slaying. After all they can be used to kill a pretty much everything that moves, at least that's what I used for them against Almalexia and Hircine.
Will be even more badass if you could use Telekinesis to throw arrows at your opponents. :v:
[QUOTE=Rong;27645173]Will be even more badass if you could use Telekinesis to throw arrows at your opponents. :v:[/QUOTE] Would be much more [B]BEARDLIKE[/B] to just throw the arrows where you please. Or keep a giant ballista in your [B]BEARD OF HOLDING[/B]
I think what they mean with arrows being harder to come by is just that they will be more expensive. Thus you will not see bandits with a buttload of them and stuff. And I am pretty sure the OHK aspect will only be if you sneak, but might seem like it will be viable for normal Ranger like characters as well. As for beards, we need four slots in the character creator. Left side, right side, lip and chin. Then you can mix and match beards to make either the most badass beard possible, or the most crazy looking.
Sorry, you need to Log In to post a reply to this thread.