• Dwarf Fortress - DF2012 released
    10,001 replies, posted
I don't think its a coincidence that priced games that extremely similar to Dwarf Fortress are coming out lately.
[QUOTE=Captain_Crazy;35192393]Beekeeping isn't working for me. I've got 6 beehives, all of them ready to be split, a screw press, and a dozen jugs, yet the option to press a hive is reddened out. I heard it's a glitch, and that jugs can't be stockpiled for use. Can someone help me out in my noble quest for mead?[/QUOTE] Are the jugs earthenware? If so, are they glazed?
[QUOTE=Canesfan;35192669]Are the jugs earthenware? If so, are they glazed?[/QUOTE] Jugs are basalt, microcline and other rocks. No earthenware to speak of. If it helps, each hive has a couple dozen thousands of honeybees.
[QUOTE=Squid Rofel;35190970][video=youtube;dDCJkqtiBbQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDCJkqtiBbQ[/video] Oh hell no... This is almost a direct ripoff without the complexity...[/QUOTE] Remember "Dwarfs?!" [img]http://dwarfs-game.com/bild/comic/comic04.jpg[/img] Actually I just learned that the developers of this game are working on the new one as well. They just became part of a bigger team now.
god, those eyes they bulge like an anencephalic's
[QUOTE=Teh Zip File;35185813]That's... awful. I play my DF in a window like this: [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/dGWp0.png[/IMG][/QUOTE] This is how my window looks 99% of the time. [img]http://horobox.reager.org/u/Orkel_1332173865.png[/img] [editline]18th March 2012[/editline] Fort is 9 years old, currently 125 dwarves and a steady 150 FPS.
Dat cluster of workshops
[QUOTE=Loofiloo;35193230]Dat cluster of workshops[/QUOTE] Most of my forts end up being clusterfucks because I don't design them at the start, just expand as it goes on.
[QUOTE=Orkel;35193243]Most of my forts end up being clusterfucks because I don't design them at the start, just expand as it goes on.[/QUOTE] That's what I do
I got a vampire in my fort, what am I supposed to do?
[QUOTE=GeneralFredrik;35193473]I got a vampire in my fort, what am I supposed to do?[/QUOTE] wait until the offending vampire blames a goose and then throw said vampire into a lava spa
Ok so my miners have an annoying habbit of going deep underground to dig something I set out for them, and then decide NOT to return to the surface and let themselves starve. The ramps are perfectly fine for them to get up and down but they just aren't having it...
[QUOTE=RagamuffinIIII;35193662]Ok so my miners have an annoying habbit of going deep underground to dig something I set out for them, and then decide NOT to return to the surface and let themselves starve. The ramps are perfectly fine for them to get up and down but they just aren't having it...[/QUOTE] Are you sure the ramps are functioning correctly? Miners shouldn't starve themselves unless they're honestly having trouble making their way back up to the Fortress.
[QUOTE=RagamuffinIIII;35193662]Ok so my miners have an annoying habbit of going deep underground to dig something I set out for them, and then decide NOT to return to the surface and let themselves starve. The ramps are perfectly fine for them to get up and down but they just aren't having it...[/QUOTE] I think you need to be digging up/down staircases
[QUOTE=RearAdmiral;35193731]Are you sure the ramps are functioning correctly? Miners shouldn't starve themselves unless they're honestly having trouble making their way back up to the Fortress.[/QUOTE] It should be working, I dig the ramps in a sort of spiral staircase fashion - kinda like this: [code]-x --[/code] Z Level 1 [code]x- --[/code] Z Level 2 [code]-- x-[/code] Z Level 3 [code]-- -x[/code] Z Level 4 etc... That should work right, I mean it worked for a while.
[QUOTE=RagamuffinIIII;35193825]It should be working, I dig the ramps in a sort of spiral staircase fashion - kinda like this: That should work right, I mean it worked for a while.[/QUOTE] I've had enough trouble with ramps that these days I just stick to digging staircases, but I'll admit I can't actually see anything wrong with your setup.
[QUOTE=Loofiloo;35193819]I think you need to be digging up/down staircases[/QUOTE] Staircases had me completely stumped but I'm 'gonna try and find a tutorial...
I keep my forts organized. Possibly obsessively compulsively so. I spread my fort over 4-6 zlevels. Each floor's main hallway is the exact length of the others. On the workshop floor, each workshop room is exactly the same size, and exactly the same length apart. Rooms are always equal length on both sides of the door ways.
[QUOTE=Captain_Crazy;35193581]wait until the offending vampire blames a goose and then throw said vampire into a lava spa[/QUOTE] But how do I trap the vampire if it's part of my civilians? The traps won't spring for them.
[QUOTE=GeneralFredrik;35193914]But how do I trap the vampire if it's part of my civilians? The traps won't spring for them.[/QUOTE] Assign them a lovely new bedroom with suspiciously warm walls and magma-safe floodgates built into the walls.
I got loads of cages, containing goblins, and elf, and a couple of horses. How do i make an arena where the goblins can fist fight the elf for my dwarves entertainment?
[QUOTE=RearAdmiral;35194061]Assign them a lovely new bedroom with suspiciously warm walls and magma-safe floodgates built into the walls.[/QUOTE] Then I only need to learn how to pump up the magma first. And I'm stuck at the power part of the operation.
[QUOTE=GeneralFredrik;35194351]Then I only need to learn how to pump up the magma first. And I'm stuck at the power part of the operation.[/QUOTE] You could also draft them into a squad and have them move into a Danger room, just swap out the wooden training spears for actual spears. Or have them stand on a bridge over a spike pit, then retract the bridge.
[QUOTE=RagamuffinIIII;35193841]Staircases had me completely stumped but I'm 'gonna try and find a tutorial...[/QUOTE] It's just a little mind-trick. Think of up staircases as something that goes from the floor to the roof - that's it, it doesn't actually penetrate the ceiling. ---- / ---- Then a down staircase is a hole in the floor that lets you use the up staircase. --^- ---- So, when combined, you get this: --^- / ---- Then, an up/down staircase stack would be like this --^- / / ---- The drawings probably broke in the post, though, and I'm to retarded to know the correct BB code.
[QUOTE=GeneralFredrik;35193473]I got a vampire in my fort, what am I supposed to do?[/QUOTE] Vampires are tougher, stronger, faster and can not tire. Also he is most probably very old with lots of kills and possibly quite good in combat. Make him a soldier, not like dwarves are hard to come by.
[QUOTE=Terminutter;35194383]It's just a little mind-trick. Think of up staircases as something that goes from the floor to the roof - that's it, it doesn't actually penetrate the ceiling. ---- / ---- Then a down staircase is a hole in the floor that lets you use the up staircase. --^- ---- So, when combined, you get this: --^- / ---- Then, an up/down staircase stack would be like this --^- / / ---- The drawings probably broke in the post, though, and I'm to retarded to know the correct BB code.[/QUOTE] I sort of get it, but when I try to put it into practise I always end up confusing myself and trapping some poor miners. However I got a few bigger problems on my hand, seems I wasn't ready to pierce the bottom caverns and a giant spider-forgotten beast is coming to fuck me up.
[QUOTE=RagamuffinIIII;35194642]I sort of get it, but when I try to put it into practise I always end up confusing myself and trapping some poor miners. However I got a few bigger problems on my hand, seems I wasn't ready to pierce the bottom caverns and a giant spider-forgotten beast is coming to fuck me up.[/QUOTE] Can it climb up the ramps?
[QUOTE=RearAdmiral;35194707]Can it climb up the ramps?[/QUOTE] Nope but I got my miners 'outta there by designating them to dig somewhere else - the spider is at the lowest cavern which I haven't actually pierced but can somehow see? Doesn't matter anyhow 'cause all the FUN is hitting at once, just found out I've got a vampire infestation, one of my dwarves is demanding body parts and leather and theres a bunch of pissed off goblins outside. Everything was going so well.
[QUOTE=fantafuzz;35194164]I got loads of cages, containing goblins, and elf, and a couple of horses. How do i make an arena where the goblins can fist fight the elf for my dwarves entertainment?[/QUOTE] IIRC stripping prisoners is a bit tedious as it requires using the stocks menu. But otherwise you can just place the cages (b --> j) and then connect them to levers using mechanisms.
A spearmaster got nasty injuries in the last siege. Most arrows that hit him were deflected by steel plate, but two of them hit the "weak spots" aka upper arms which are only protected by chainmail, and chipped the bones, resulting in two unusable arms and a massive amount of "cannot do X, too injured" message spam after the doctors patched him up. Also two infections even when soap was used, this guy is prone to them apparently, shall see if he survives. The other soldier that got infections that I posted about a couple of days ago, he survived them.
Sorry, you need to Log In to post a reply to this thread.