• Dwarf Fortress - DF2012 released
    10,001 replies, posted
Best thing to do with bored Dwarves is make them all take masonry and metalcrafting, then proceed to mass-produce a block factory for endless megaprojects. Metalcrafting is so they can add metal (if you're into that) into your megaprojects faster, and you tend to only use metalcrafting 4-5 times before generally forgetting about it (unless you're a fan of metal cups and such, in which case you just have to assign your master crafter via manager screen to some forges.)
[QUOTE=Canuhearme?;34503422]Best thing to do with bored Dwarves is make them all take masonry and metalcrafting, then proceed to mass-produce a block factory for endless megaprojects. Metalcrafting is so they can add metal (if you're into that) into your megaprojects faster, and you tend to only use metalcrafting 4-5 times before generally forgetting about it.[/QUOTE] Why are blocks better than regular stone?
[QUOTE=Dacheet;34503450]Why are blocks better than regular stone?[/QUOTE] Besides being worth 1.5x more then your average boulder, there actually isn't any other noticeable difference. It's fun to use them because they're the construction equivalent of smooth stone with natural rock; it implies a smooth, well-polished/worked surface as opposed to the more haphazard boulder walls. Not to mention it's an easy way to boost your masonry skills (or metalcrafting, just get a couple magma forges, a few aspiring metalcrafters and an endless supply of shit metal, and you'll get people making legendary chains and cups in no time.)
Plus they can be put in bins
So, when I redownloaded DF, I added my dinosaur custom creature file, which included the crocospiders I made. I didn't want them in the game, so I just broke their file, IE removed some brackets. Apparently that did not work, as not only did I encounter them in-game (elven caravans brought them), they had wings for some reason. Eventually I discovered that the crocospider entry just merged with the pterodactyl one. So now they can shoot webs, have venomous bites, are amphibious, and can now fly. What the fuck have I done.
I read somewhere on the wiki that farm plots can only be accessed if they are 2x(whatever) but i'm pretty sure that's a crock of shit because i keep seeing screenshots of people doing otherwise successfully. Also why do half of the wiki pages download a .gz file instead of opening the page?
My militia leader has the title "The Ace Genius of Distractions."
[QUOTE=Walrus.;34505081]I read somewhere on the wiki that farm plots can only be accessed if they are 2x(whatever) but i'm pretty sure that's a crock of shit because i keep seeing screenshots of people doing otherwise successfully. Also why do half of the wiki pages download a .gz file instead of opening the page?[/QUOTE] Problem with chrome, pretty weird.
It worked in Pearls Before Swine, maybe it will work for me: [IMG]http://i43.tinypic.com/2w7lgyx.jpg[/IMG]
Does anyone here have experience with embarking on locations without any other civilizations (whether it be a closed in mountain range or an island?) Do you still get immigrants?
[QUOTE=Mingebox;34505625]It worked in Pearls Before Swine, maybe it will work for me: [IMG]http://i43.tinypic.com/2w7lgyx.jpg[/IMG][/QUOTE] Even when I see a picture of a duck with it, I think of a "drake" as being a dragon...
I think you still get dwarfs, but no elves or humans. Not sure about goblins.
5 minutes into my first heavily-modified embark (to make things tougher) and my hunter drowns in a river attempting to acquire an alligator body. He was so young. [IMG]http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c29/kalamari13/emot-911.gif[/IMG]
captured a goblin leader had him fight every spare animal I had(from cougars to bears), eventually one of his legs got heavily injured and he had to fight sitting down he has never lost a fight yet
[QUOTE=Funion;34506639]captured a goblin leader had him fight every spare animal I had(from cougars to bears), eventually one of his legs got heavily injured and he had to fight sitting down he has never lost a fight yet[/QUOTE] Feed him a constant supply of Elves, if possible make him go insane and unleash him on goblin prisoners in an elaborate yet terrifying maze designed specifically for him.
Mmmmm... that new thread smell... it's divine. Started a new fort: the Caverns of Funk. We've gotten really big now and have this count who's decided he's going to bitch and whine about being offended by a gem cutter's accommodations. Everything in this douche's chambers is of masterwork quality- with everything (except the bed) forged from the absolute finest steel, a material he claims he likes. His dining room has got a fucking marble statue that commemorates his promotion from baron to count. All common dwarves have basic quality beds, a wooden cabinet, and a wooden chest for their shit- including the gem cutter in question. The mayor's got everything furnished with brass, accented with glass. No dwarf in this fortress has a more elegant, comfortable abode. Yet he will not shut the fuck up and stop his complaining.
I'm trying to embark with a saved preparations list but it's saying that iron anvils, cave lobsters, and oaken buckets are not available. Is this new or something? I don't remember it ever happening before.
[QUOTE=LunchboxOfDoom;34506844]Mmmmm... that new thread smell... it's divine. Started a new fort: the Caverns of Funk. We've gotten really big now and have this count who's decided he's going to bitch and whine about being offended by a gem cutter's accommodations. Everything in this douche's chambers is of masterwork quality- with everything (except the bed) forged from the absolute finest steel, a material he claims he likes. His dining room has got a fucking marble statue that commemorates his promotion from baron to count. All common dwarves have basic quality beds, a wooden cabinet, and a wooden chest for their shit- including the gem cutter in question. The mayor's got everything furnished with brass, accented with glass. No dwarf in this fortress has a more elegant, comfortable abode. Yet he will not shut the fuck up and stop his complaining.[/QUOTE] I think it's time for an unfortunate accident.
[QUOTE=LunchboxOfDoom;34506844]Mmmmm... that new thread smell... it's divine. Started a new fort: the Caverns of Funk. We've gotten really big now and have this count who's decided he's going to bitch and whine about being offended by a gem cutter's accommodations. Everything in this douche's chambers is of masterwork quality- with everything (except the bed) forged from the absolute finest steel, a material he claims he likes. His dining room has got a fucking marble statue that commemorates his promotion from baron to count. All common dwarves have basic quality beds, a wooden cabinet, and a wooden chest for their shit- including the gem cutter in question. The mayor's got everything furnished with brass, accented with glass. No dwarf in this fortress has a more elegant, comfortable abode. Yet he will not shut the fuck up and stop his complaining.[/QUOTE] I had a noble that kept complaining about that too. Wouldn't stop no matter what. You know what I did? I locked her in a room with a dragon, hoping she'd go berserk and punch the dragon. She ended up starving to death, but I threw her body into the magma.
[QUOTE=TrafficMan;34507062]I'm trying to embark with a saved preparations list but it's saying that iron anvils, cave lobsters, and oaken buckets are not available. Is this new or something? I don't remember it ever happening before.[/QUOTE] Nope, pretty common. Your chosen civ just doesn't have access to iron, oak or lobster. Choose a different civil when choosing the area with tab, or go with a steel anvil and willow or some other wood. There are two types of cave lobster, they might have the other
oh that's fantastic, it starts to rain and the entire caravan of dwarves melts. well.
I need to learn how to play better, all I know is the basics and I've forgotten most of those
[QUOTE=ZenX2;34507668]I need to learn how to play better, all I know is the basics and I've forgotten most of those[/QUOTE] Use the wiki, read the OP a billion times, watch Captain Duck or Sippycup.
[QUOTE=Rotinaj;34507483]oh that's fantastic, it starts to rain and the entire caravan of dwarves melts. well.[/QUOTE] You are using the most up-to-date dwarf fortress, right?
[QUOTE=Rotinaj;34507483]oh that's fantastic, it starts to rain and the entire caravan of dwarves melts. well.[/QUOTE] Holy shit I haven't seen you in forever. Forever being 2008.
Is it just me, or does anyone else find the combat in DF to be more satisfying than current-gen games? (especially with soundsense)
school's started again so I wont have much time for dwarf fortress... i'll probably pick it up again once the new version is released though [editline]2nd February 2012[/editline] [QUOTE=Robbobin;34500583]How do you use butchery? I have someone designated to butchery, my squad just killed a badger boar, but it says there's no corpse to butcher. Am I missing something?[/QUOTE] how I do it is put all my hunters on small animal dissection as well as butchery; also for some reason they don't want to return kills unless I have gather refuse from outside on.. in the o r menu.. only problem is they'll collect dead shit from outside, thankfully you can choose whether or not they collect vermin from outside. Butchery only works for me if I designate an animal to be butchered from the z menu, or if I have my hunters as hunters/small animal dissectors and butchers, don't know why or if i'm just being silly about it, but yeah.
So I just decided to spawn a new world, without aquifers, and there seems to be very deep soil almost everywhere. Are the two related? [editline]2nd February 2012[/editline] Is very deep soil avoidable, or do I want or, it does it even matter?
I found an awesome embark spot in the haunted territory so far only spooky skeleton hens and zombie foxes
[QUOTE=Rotinaj;34507483]oh that's fantastic, it starts to rain and the entire caravan of dwarves melts. well.[/QUOTE] Ahaha, you must be playing on a really old version.
Sorry, you need to Log In to post a reply to this thread.