• Dwarf Fortress - DF2012 released
    10,001 replies, posted
Devlog, because nobody posted it yet. We might see this update soon. [QUOTE]I've finished the rewrite of the code, but now I have to debug it -- right now civilizations don't appear to be spreading in world generation. On the other hand, "sites changing hands during play" is now peaking up at the bottom of the first page of my notes, so that's good.[/QUOTE]
I will not bear to see this thread die, so read a sad dwarven story. [url]http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=112791.0[/url]
[QUOTE=Dogchow33;36633291]Devlog, because nobody posted it yet. We might see this update soon.[/QUOTE] I have a feeling that he'll add at least one more thing before we see this one.
He is working really fast it seems. Was the last update really difficult or what?
[QUOTE=Neo Kabuto;36649143]I have a feeling that he'll add at least one more thing before we see this one.[/QUOTE] I would think only bugfixes and a few minor improvements, maybe two weeks tops, do you think?
[QUOTE=Dogchow33;36649327]I would think only bugfixes and a few minor improvements, maybe two weeks tops, do you think?[/QUOTE] I'm expecting something big to come up like minecarts did before.
Can I stop my dwarves from cancelling designation upon finding damp stone? For science.
[QUOTE=Vita;36653673]Can I stop my dwarves from cancelling designation upon finding damp stone? For science.[/QUOTE] Nope. You can make it so it doesn't pause or recenter your camera: data\init\announcements.txt [DIG_CANCEL_WARM:A_D:D_D:P:R] [DIG_CANCEL_DAMP:A_D:D_D:P:R] Remove P and R for that. There's been hacks to remove it but I don't think there's any for the current version.
[QUOTE=Vita;36653673]Can I stop my dwarves from cancelling designation upon finding damp stone? For science.[/QUOTE] Probably via mod, I can't think of any other way. You can stop it from pausing the game as well, go into the raws, the file is called announcements I believe.
Ah well, was hoping there'd be a way to do it in vanilla. Guess I'll just have to put up with it. In other news, my fledgling fortress (no military, no traps) has a weregecko to deal with. I've sealed everyone underground and at the moment its just rampaging around topside. How do I kill it?
[QUOTE=Vita;36655424]Ah well, was hoping there'd be a way to do it in vanilla. Guess I'll just have to put up with it. In other news, my fledgling fortress (no military, no traps) has a weregecko to deal with. I've sealed everyone underground and at the moment its just rampaging around topside. How do I kill it?[/QUOTE] Were-animals are usually not too hard to deal with, if you can send some archers to some sort of vantage point to get a good shot at the werebeast, alternatively send a strong melee dwarf or two up to get him, you could do both.
So I started a fortress in a serene biome, and I have to say, it's not the most Fun you can have. Absolutely nothing remotely traumatic has happened. I've had about 7 or 8 migrant waves, about 1,500 food, almost everyone is ecstatic, and I haven't even sustained a single injury or anything. I just keep slaughtering unicorns forever. At least I understand all of the gameplay mechanics, as far as I can tell. Annoyingly, there's no iron ore, that I can find.
I haven't played since 40d, so I decided to give the latest version a try last night. The game seems to crash randomly during embark. I never got past assigning skills because the game would crash after a few minutes. Other games work fine on my computer, and nothing else crashes, so I doubt it's my memory. Anyone have any ideas? I'd really like to get back into it.
[QUOTE=Robbobin;36656577]So I started a fortress in a serene biome, and I have to say, it's not the most Fun you can have. Absolutely nothing remotely traumatic has happened. I've had about 7 or 8 migrant waves, about 1,500 food, almost everyone is ecstatic, and I haven't even sustained a single injury or anything. I just keep slaughtering unicorns forever. At least I understand all of the gameplay mechanics, as far as I can tell. Annoyingly, there's no iron ore, that I can find.[/QUOTE] Produce more wealth.
[QUOTE=Robbobin;36656577]So I started a fortress in a serene biome, and I have to say, it's not the most Fun you can have. Absolutely nothing remotely traumatic has happened. I've had about 7 or 8 migrant waves, about 1,500 food, almost everyone is ecstatic, and I haven't even sustained a single injury or anything. I just keep slaughtering unicorns forever. At least I understand all of the gameplay mechanics, as far as I can tell. Annoyingly, there's no iron ore, that I can find.[/QUOTE] Best have a well-trained military of 10+ dwarves.
Masterwork is just way too damn unstable.... crashes about every hour or so...
so i have a stable fort with about 57 dwarves, and i have about 8 enlisted into a military with 3-4 ready to make another separate squad of crossbowdwarves. my biggest problem is that i can't find any good metals, what is a good way to find them other than using cheats?
[QUOTE=Fremontsmith;36658784]so i have a stable fort with about 57 dwarves, and i have about 8 enlisted into a military with 3-4 ready to make another separate squad of crossbowdwarves. my biggest problem is that i can't find any good metals, what is a good way to find them other than using cheats?[/QUOTE] Check the site before embark, you want shallow and deep metalS. Try mining in different areas, or if your site spans biomes, then dig over to them to explore them. Also, goblin Christmas should be soon. I'd explain more, but my docks upstairs.
Changelog. [QUOTE][URL="http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=100851.msg3432279#msg3432279"]Here's a Future of the Fortress[/URL] reply with various information about what we're working on. I'm now having civilizations decide to attack other sites in play, starting with some straightforward examples that should lead to the complete destruction of cities.[/QUOTE]
[QUOTE=_jesterk;36657494]Best have a well-trained military of 10+ dwarves.[/QUOTE] Uhoh :( Since there was nothing happening I never really bothered producing any military. I just have 4 dwarves which I use to help slaughter unicorns. They're really badly trained, too. I'm scared. :c
[QUOTE=Terminutter;36658943]Check the site before embark, you want shallow and deep metalS. Try mining in different areas, or if your site spans biomes, then dig over to them to explore them. Also, goblin Christmas should be soon. I'd explain more, but my docks upstairs.[/QUOTE] if i recall correctly it had deep and shallow metals, but it looks like i am going to have to dig deep because all the ones near the surface are zinc and gold
[QUOTE=The Jman Wik;36657431]I haven't played since 40d, so I decided to give the latest version a try last night. The game seems to crash randomly during embark. I never got past assigning skills because the game would crash after a few minutes. Other games work fine on my computer, and nothing else crashes, so I doubt it's my memory. Anyone have any ideas? I'd really like to get back into it.[/QUOTE] Try deleting the Dwarf Fortress folder and reinstalling if you just installed over 40d(replaced all the files through installation), are you using any mods? Also it shouldn't be your memory I wouldn't think. [editline]7th July 2012[/editline] [QUOTE=Fremontsmith;36658784]so i have a stable fort with about 57 dwarves, and i have about 8 enlisted into a military with 3-4 ready to make another separate squad of crossbowdwarves. my biggest problem is that i can't find any good metals, what is a good way to find them other than using cheats?[/QUOTE] The easiest way to find a good site is to use the "find desired location"(f) key. Make sure and turn aquifers off(it really sucks to deal with them and you can't get a steady supply of stone), flux stone on if you want a large supply of pig iron/steel, shallow and deep metals, a river if you want a clean water source, and however much soil you want. The rest is up to you. If a site does not fit your needs but you feel others may in the vicinity, feel free to look. I find some of my sites that way(i.e in a forest)
How do I dig down levels? I want to expand my base further downward but idk how.
[QUOTE=cdr248;36662332]How do I dig down levels? I want to expand my base further downward but idk how.[/QUOTE] Go down one level (with the view) and designate an upward ramp or stairway.
Designation-downward stairs/ramp/channel
[QUOTE=Robbobin;36656577]So I started a fortress in a serene biome, and I have to say, it's not the most Fun you can have. Absolutely nothing remotely traumatic has happened. I've had about 7 or 8 migrant waves, about 1,500 food, almost everyone is ecstatic, and I haven't even sustained a single injury or anything. I just keep slaughtering unicorns forever. At least I understand all of the gameplay mechanics, as far as I can tell. Annoyingly, there's no iron ore, that I can find.[/QUOTE] The most traumatic event for me in a serene biome was my damn animals that for some stupid reason always fought each other. The climax was when an alpaca died after being kicked in the head or something, so I butchered them all.
[QUOTE=Swebonny;36662846]The most traumatic event for me in a serene biome was my damn animals that for some stupid reason always fought each other. The climax was when an alpaca died after being kicked in the head or something, so I butchered them all.[/QUOTE] How big was your pasture/meeting area?
[QUOTE=Swebonny;36662846]The most traumatic event for me in a serene biome was my damn animals that for some stupid reason always fought each other. The climax was when an alpaca died after being kicked in the head or something, so I butchered them all.[/QUOTE] The only time i ever tried to settle a good biome or whatever, i left my booze out and gnomes (i didn't know they posed such a threat) drank ALL of it. Then my river froze I stick to normal biomes now
[QUOTE=Dogchow33;36663192]How big was your pasture/meeting area?[/QUOTE] It was quite small, held 15-20 animals I think. I assume that caused the fight.
[QUOTE=Swebonny;36663315]It was quite small, held 15-20 animals I think. I assume that caused the fight.[/QUOTE] Yes, when you stack too much animals into a single pasture it tends to turn the pasture into a gory moshpit. Just be glad you didn't put a dragon in there, it did not end well for my livestock when I made that mistake.
Sorry, you need to Log In to post a reply to this thread.