• Dwarf Fortress - DF2012 released
    10,001 replies, posted
oww. I decided I'd make things a bit more exciting and embark in a haunted biome. A skeletal moose just kicked my leader in the head a hundred times so sufficed to say he's dead. :(
I've been wanting to try the 2D version for a while now. I have to say, Toady sure has come a long way in optimization alone.
[QUOTE=Robbobin;34510485]oww. I decided I'd make things a bit more exciting and embark in a haunted biome. A skeletal moose just kicked my leader in the head a hundred times so sufficed to say he's dead. :([/QUOTE] I never cared much about the dwarfs head cracking up so easily, but when a skeletal hen headbuted and broke 5 out of my 10 militia dwarfs heads i had to get that damn fix.
Right, I have an Idea: [img]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/29626006/dwarf%20fortress%20stuff/MASTUR-PLAN-DONUT-STEEL.png[/img] 1) Hatch (wooden, locked.) 2) Caged shit stockpile 3) Shambling horde of fun and profit basically, this is a trap for sieges, using the undead in the new evil areas. Stupid troll/minotaur/enraged bumble bee comes along, and sees the hatch and goes, "Raaaa, me smash!" The ravening hordes of irate not quite deceased flood out of hole, only contained before by virtue of being unable to destroy things on another z-level. Murder time, with Fun, profit, and GLORIOUS SLAUGHTER OF GOBLIN BASTARDS. Undead run to fort for [del]supper[/del] super fun time. They are then recaptured and disposed of / re-pitted in reset trap. Thoughts? my apologies for the sketchiness.
Siegers will always take the shortest possible route into your fort. In practice this means that you can lure them into any death trap.
[QUOTE=Falchion;34511837]Siegers will always take the shortest possible route into your fort. In practice this means that you can lure them into any death trap.[/QUOTE] but building destroyers will go for the first construction they see, not including walls and floors.
[IMG]http://filesmelt.com/dl/screenie_1.png[/IMG] a milk quartz worth 798k? that's pretty unusual. i bet it has some real badass engravings or so- [img]http://filesmelt.com/dl/screenie_2.png[/img] oH FUUUUUUUUCKKKKKKK
[QUOTE=Bobie;34512422][IMG]http://filesmelt.com/dl/screenie_1.png[/IMG] a milk quartz worth 798k? that's pretty unusual. i bet it has some real badass engravings or so- [img]http://filesmelt.com/dl/screenie_2.png[/img] oH FUUUUUUUUCKKKKKKK[/QUOTE] Calling Planepacked style burrowing or a bug. Also, that one has some recursion, which is always nice with artifacts.
[QUOTE=Terminutter;34512514]Calling Planepacked style burrowing or a bug. Also, that one has some recursion, which is always nice with artifacts.[/QUOTE] my (now legendary) gem cutter took about 4 pages of gems with him into the gem workshop, it took him about half a year to get all of them from the mines. its pretty much doubled my fort worth and the royal guys should be arriving soon now
Wow, you might have actually got the greatest legitimate unbugged artifact ever, then! Mine are always boring as hell, as I don't often do heroic things that get good stuff on artifacts (I have too heavy defenses like traps) Also, planepacked. [url]http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Planepacked[/url]
I keep putting off starting a new fortress until the new version. needless to say it's been a while since i've played.
[QUOTE=Parakon;34512732]I keep putting off starting a new fortress until the new version. needless to say it's been a while since i've played.[/QUOTE] I have to play fast, but updates too slow. Well it's really close now, so no point starting over in 2011. Maybe just one.. little adventure session
[QUOTE=Parakon;34512732]I keep putting off starting a new fortress until the new version. needless to say it's been a while since i've played.[/QUOTE] Just start up a fortress, make a separate file to check out DF2012 when it comes out, and then continue with the old fort until Toady releases a few patches to fix the bugs that'll be apparent in the first release.
[QUOTE=Teh Zip File;34507769]Holy shit I haven't seen you in forever. Forever being 2008.[/QUOTE] yeah, that's probably about how old my version was
[QUOTE=Robbobin;34509311]So I just decided to spawn a new world, without aquifers, and there seems to be very deep soil almost everywhere. Are the two related? [editline]2nd February 2012[/editline] Is very deep soil avoidable, or do I want or, it does it even matter?[/QUOTE] Deep soil is good for easily making large rooms when you first start out.
[QUOTE=Rotinaj;34514216]yeah, that's probably about how old my version was[/QUOTE] Download newest version, install the balance fix from the OP and generate a new world.
[QUOTE=Canuhearme?;34506792]Feed him a constant supply of Elves, if possible make him go insane and unleash him on goblin prisoners in an elaborate yet terrifying maze designed specifically for him.[/QUOTE] i fed him an elf and two war dogs nothing can kill this guy (he BIT the elf to death)
Is there a way to embark with only one dwarf? I want to have a single dwarf survive on his own.
[QUOTE=FalconKrunch;34514885]Is there a way to embark with only one dwarf? I want to have a single dwarf survive on his own.[/QUOTE] Well 6 of your dwarfs can have an accident.
[QUOTE=Tampong;34514999]Well 6 of your dwarfs can have an accident.[/QUOTE] You can get quite creative with this too; set a meeting location above a frozen murky pool, have the survivor be a miner and cause a cave-in on the other six, wall them into the caves and let them either starve to death or get consumed by the various cave critters, and that's if you're in a hurry.
[QUOTE=Canuhearme?;34515064]You can get quite creative with this too; set a meeting location above a frozen murky pool, have the survivor be a miner and cause a cave-in on the other six, wall them into the caves and let them either starve to death or get consumed by the various cave critters, and that's if you're in a hurry.[/QUOTE] Or [B]DWARVEN CAVERN EXPLORERS![/B] That's right, in the very first month, you can have a unique, professional team of Cave Explorers! Safety gear totally unnecessary. Oh, and my fort just got raped by skeletal elephants. Fuck.
[QUOTE=Terminutter;34515198]Oh, and my fort just got raped by skeletal elephants. Fuck.[/QUOTE] you might say they were... boned.
one of my dwarves gave birth at a party it was one of [i]those[/i] parties
[QUOTE=Sector 7;34515267]you might say they were... boned.[/QUOTE] It really raises questions as to "why the fuck did I choose a terrifying tropical forest."
Frightening pineapples?
Is there any lava anymore? I dig around in the whole fucking world when I embark but I can't find some precious lava. Since I can't choose Lava when embarking I don't know how to find it? Any tips?
[QUOTE=GeneralFredrik;34515590]Is there any lava anymore? I dig around in the whole fucking world when I embark but I can't find some precious lava. Since I can't choose Lava when embarking I don't know how to find it? Any tips?[/QUOTE] Build on a volcano
[QUOTE=Waluigi;34515781]Build on a volcano[/QUOTE] Either this, or dig really far down.
[QUOTE=Neo Kabuto;34515926]Either this, or dig really far down.[/QUOTE] How far?
[QUOTE=Conscript;34517187]How far?[/QUOTE] Keep going. Trust me.
Sorry, you need to Log In to post a reply to this thread.