• Dwarf Fortress - DF2012 released
    10,001 replies, posted
[QUOTE=Radiosquid;34854373]So I'm playing Adventure Mode and I come across this guy sitting in a fort's throne room called "The First Gloss." When I ask him what his profession is he just says, "I am first gloss. I was once a cheese maker." I tried searching for it, but nothing relevant showed up. What the hell is a first gloss?[/QUOTE] Well, obviously within that person's culture, gloss is valued and obviously has high importance within their society. Thus, someone with the title 'first gloss' must be someone of importance.
I swear I can never embark somewhere with flux. This embark location says it has flux, and lo and behold it doesn't. I hate how 2010 doesn't tell you what sort of sedimentary rock there is like the previous version that would tell you (it would show 'dolomite' or 'limestone' instead of 'flux stone').
[QUOTE=ZestyLemons;34855429]I swear I can never embark somewhere with flux. This embark location says it has flux, and lo and behold it doesn't. I hate how 2010 doesn't tell you what sort of sedimentary rock there is like the previous version that would tell you (it would show 'dolomite' or 'limestone' instead of 'flux stone').[/QUOTE] DFHack can let you prospect before embarking
[QUOTE=lord0war;34852671]So are leather works useless, or what?[/QUOTE] Waterskins, Backpacks and Quivers.
While designated some trees for my dwarves to chop down, I noticed a group of three dwarves standing still on one corner of my site. They're from the first dwarf caravan that came to my fortress, and have been sitting there motionless for almost a year.
[QUOTE=ZestyLemons;34855429]I swear I can never embark somewhere with flux. This embark location says it has flux, and lo and behold it doesn't. I hate how 2010 doesn't tell you what sort of sedimentary rock there is like the previous version that would tell you (it would show 'dolomite' or 'limestone' instead of 'flux stone').[/QUOTE] when it says it has flux it does but it might be 10 rocks on -100 z level
[QUOTE=Mandrith;34855808]While designated some trees for my dwarves to chop down, I noticed a group of three dwarves standing still on one corner of my site. They're from the first dwarf caravan that came to my fortress, and have been sitting there motionless for almost a year.[/QUOTE] Use Dwarf Therapist to assign their labors, as dwarves that migrate to your fortress do not have labors enabled by default.
[QUOTE=woolio1;34855915]Use Dwarf Therapist to assign their labors, as dwarves that migrate to your fortress do not have labors enabled by default.[/QUOTE] They're not migrants, but traders. Sorry I didn't clarify that. Also, it seems that none of my militia is gaining combat experience from training. My militia commander is still only "dabbling" in his combat skills. The only real effect I've seen is one dwarf migrant that had combat skills already no longer is [rusty]. I've set them to train in the barracks with at least 3 people, and I've seen them sparring and doing demonstrations in there.
[del]I went to reclaim one of my forts after a cave-in occurred, leaving both miners unable to work, and the replacement miner refused to pick up the pick in the stockpile, so I abandoned. Everything was going fine in the reclaim, we gathered up all the scattered things, and rebuilt what was messed up. But for some reason, even after removing the caravan, and setting the dining room as a meeting hall, everybody just stands outside when not working. And they also refuse to use the workshops for some reason. They just say they have no job when there is a task set up at a workshop of their trade. I even tried giving the task in the manager, but they still wouldn't do it. Any advice?[/del] EDIT: Figured it out. I had to press t, move the selector thing over the workshop, then un-forbid the materials the workshops were made out of. An easier way to do this for multiple things, is to press d-b-c, then select all of the things you want to reclaim.
So a popup message told me that "Rakul Cocuzar Zih Bekat the Human has come!" it was in the same style as notifications for forgotten beasts etc. So i set my military to attack him and during the fight he got caught in a cage trap. In the unit screen it says that he is friendly<caged>. So does that mean letting him out would be fine or is it tricking me. I'm really just confused as to why I got the big popup message about him. Also all of my bonecrafters crafts are being left lying around in random places and occasionally i get a notification saying some have gone missing. How do i stop that? [editline]25th February 2012[/editline] Ok Rakul escaped from his cage while i tried to move him to the trade depot. He has changed in to a werelizard. Things are starting to make sense now. Hopefully he doesnt murder my entire military Edit: we got him with only minor injuries (I think)
God damn it I can't get into the adventure mode Every time I start a game I instantly try to dismember as many people as possible
[QUOTE=superstepa;34856642]God damn it I can't get into the adventure mode Every time I start a game I instantly try to dismember as many people as possible[/QUOTE] I don't see a problem
[QUOTE=Dacheet;34856693]I don't see a problem[/QUOTE] I don't usually walk more than 10 tiles from the starting location I just see a person, try to kill a person, die When I actually try to play I can't get anyone to join me and die from some random mule in the mountains
[QUOTE=superstepa;34856720]I don't usually walk more than 10 tiles from the starting location I just see a person, try to kill a person, die When I actually try to play I can't get anyone to join me and die from some random mule in the mountains[/QUOTE] Try visiting Forts, the soldiers there will join you even if you have no reputation whatsoever.
[QUOTE=superstepa;34856720]I don't usually walk more than 10 tiles from the starting location I just see a person, try to kill a person, die When I actually try to play I can't get anyone to join me and die from some random mule in the mountains[/QUOTE] [QUOTE=Dacheet;34856693]I don't see a problem[/QUOTE]
So many fucking children. Must atomsmash...
[QUOTE=superstepa;34856720]I don't usually walk more than 10 tiles from the starting location I just see a person, try to kill a person, die When I actually try to play I can't get anyone to join me and die from some random mule in the mountains[/QUOTE] If they have a military occupation they're guaranteed to join you if your party isn't already full. Unless they just happen to be of outrageous skill, way above your level
So my crossbow dwarves will not train in the archery range but are quite happy to do solo training... I have no idea what I am doing wrong.
[QUOTE=Chevron;34857469]So my crossbow dwarves will not train in the archery range but are quite happy to do solo training... I have no idea what I am doing wrong.[/QUOTE] Nothing, its a bug.
[QUOTE=Jax Strife;34857667]Nothing, its a bug.[/QUOTE] Oh that is lovely, any work around?
[QUOTE=Chevron;34857696]Oh that is lovely, any work around?[/QUOTE] Goblin prisoner target practice?
I have only now found out that you can control fighters at the testing arena I was playing as a Maxed everything vampire elf for an hour, killing enemies by throwing random corpses at them
I'm getting really sick of the game crashing while saving, or save files getting corrupted. Autosave helps, but it only goes so far.
So I closed all exits to my fort, walled the food supply and watched 80 dwarfs die. Here it is when about 40 of them dropped. [img]http://uppix.net/1/8/a/d04649c3b7c23fd412fbcdde72b12.png[/img]
Mmmm~ miasma~
Well this is fun, Dwarf Therapist is only picking up the Dwarves that arrived in the latest migrant wave.
Quite a challenging spin from normal gameplay.
I just started a new fortress, and I'm not sure what industry I want it to go into. My last fort made stone crafts, and other useless trinkets. What should I make this fort make?
[QUOTE=lord0war;34859011]I just started a new fortress, and I'm not sure what industry I want it to go into. My last fort made stone crafts, and other useless trinkets. What should I make this fort make?[/QUOTE] Dead children factory? Dead children factory.
[QUOTE=lord0war;34859011]I just started a new fortress, and I'm not sure what industry I want it to go into. My last fort made stone crafts, and other useless trinkets. What should I make this fort make?[/QUOTE] How about some kind of dead children factory?
Sorry, you need to Log In to post a reply to this thread.