• Black Mesa: Source V3 - Released September 14th, 2012
    10,000 replies, posted
dear esther's caves is pretty much what I expect from xen
[QUOTE=CaLeB-;34774172]It was, until they began modifying the crap out of the gameplay.[/QUOTE] i dont mind some of the behind the scenes tweaks they did early on (like get rid of that dumb minigun overheat system from the first version) but now they're doing stupid shit like replacing the nail grenade with one that fires lasers because it's like less scary to newbies for some dumb reason like that and making the heavy's minigun have a secondary fire that lets it bounce people around like the tf2 flamethrower. they also like doing millions of tweaks to make the sentry worthless against medics and scouts because some "pros" were Q_Qing over how "it was too fast" or some shit like that. you guys have nailguns to easily blow sentries up; USE THEM.
[QUOTE=Hell-met;34830177]dear esther's caves is pretty much what I expect from xen[/QUOTE] Remembers me from an old screenshot of Xen: [img]http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-vB3FhV1kfho/TaUkRaeJQoI/AAAAAAAABcc/SYhJVBKvn40/s1600/Freeware%2BPC%2BFirst-Person%2BShooter%2B%2528FPS%2529%2BMod%2BBlack%2BMesa%2BSource%2BXen.jpg[/img]
I remember reading somewhere they said that their current version of Xen shits all over that picture.
[QUOTE=skyms2663;34831358]I remember reading somewhere they said that their current version of Xen shits all over that picture.[/QUOTE] Cool, i can't wait until the mod comes ou- oh, wait.
[QUOTE=skyms2663;34831358]I remember reading somewhere they said that their current version of Xen shits all over that picture.[/QUOTE] Yep. This one is from 2006. The Xen now looks completely different.
[QUOTE=Antimuffin;34831857]Yep. This one is from 2006. The Xen now looks completely different.[/QUOTE] The BM:S team seem to have an obsessive perfectionism with these kinds of things. Like an artist endlessly carving and adding to build a statue, then deciding the position is slightly off and starting all over again. Quite frankly, I feel these aren't the best traits to have in marketing.
[QUOTE=Cone;34831946]The BM:S team seem to have an obsessive perfectionism with these kinds of things. Like an artist endlessly carving and adding to build a statue, then deciding the position is slightly off and starting all over again. Quite frankly, I feel these aren't the best traits to have in marketing.[/QUOTE] Or like George Lucas constantly tinkering with movies to match his original vision
Except for the fact that, well, Lucas already released his movies.
Xen better be fucking terrifying.
[QUOTE=Cone;34831946]The BM:S team seem to have an obsessive perfectionism with these kinds of things. Like an artist endlessly carving and adding to build a statue, then deciding the position is slightly off and starting all over again. Quite frankly, I feel these aren't the best traits to have in marketing.[/QUOTE] Sort of like Duke Nukem Forever.
[QUOTE=Megafan;34823297]This stood out in particular. Hopefully they realize they're not making it any easier or better for them or their mod by insisting that they can't say anything. Everyone already knows the story to HL1, there's nothing to spoil, the only things to tell are development progress, or more specifically, why it's taken so long. But rather, I expect them to continue with the 'when it's done' model of interacting with their fanbase.[/QUOTE] They're probably not stating why they haven't made progress because it's probably really, really stupid and embarrassing.
[QUOTE=.FLAP.JACK.DAN.;34843173]Sort of like Duke Nukem Forever.[/QUOTE] Duke kept shifting studios and shifting engines if I remember correctly
[QUOTE=CakeMaster7;34843487]Duke kept shifting studios and shifting engines if I remember correctly[/QUOTE] It went from 3D Realms to Triptych (ex-3DR guys) to Gearbox Software. Engines: Quake 1 to Quake 2 to Unreal to Unreal 1.5 to Unreal 2 to Unreal 2.5 to heavily modified Unreal 2.5. In short, 3D Realms doesn't know how to make games in the 21st century.
They seemed to switch their MP-5 model from the one that had a laser sight to a much, much uglier one. I don't get why, the laser version was pretty fucking cool to me. From what I remember, they switched a lot of weapon models. Only one I haven't been a fan of is the shotgun, they just can't make it look slim enough.
[QUOTE=Tuskin;34828637]when the mod comes out.[/QUOTE] Ha ha ha! Good one!
[QUOTE='[Green];34843878']They seemed to switch their MP-5 model from the one that had a laser sight to a much, much uglier one. I don't get why, the laser version was pretty fucking cool to me. From what I remember, they switched a lot of weapon models. Only one I haven't been a fan of is the shotgun, they just can't make it look slim enough.[/QUOTE] I like the new MP5 over the old one, personally.
One day left before sarevokh comes back. QUICK HIDE!!
[QUOTE=CakeMaster7;34843487]Duke kept shifting studios and shifting engines if I remember correctly[/QUOTE] I don't know what the turnover rate was for their devs, but they only really switched studios once. Switching engines multiple times definitely had a big impact on the development, but from what I've heard the biggest problem was bad management, in particular the management's decision to make the developers redo perfectly good assets over and over again. They wanted everything to be perfect, which is funny considering the results.
Micheal Tannock - BMS Prop modeler. (From Moddb page) I've returned from my holiday to the Canary Islands. I wish I could say I enjoyed myself there, but it was cold for the first time ever, and I'd only packed shorts and t-shirts. Still, I did miss the snow in England, just. @Disturbulator - sorry for not getting to your question before I left. [B]We really are planning something big[/B], but apparently not as soon as people were expecting. @Cybertrance - I know you want me to ditch my signature, but it forces doppelgängers into a catch-22 situation; If they don't use it, then people will know they aren't me. But if they do use it, it advices people to check if they're me. "Check my join date to make sure I'm legit."
[QUOTE=relinquish;34862633]Micheal Tannock - BMS Prop modeler. (From Moddb page) I've returned from my holiday to the Canary Islands. I wish I could say I enjoyed myself there, but it was cold for the first time ever, and I'd only packed shorts and t-shirts. Still, I did miss the snow in England, just. @Disturbulator - sorry for not getting to your question before I left. [B]We really are planning something big[/B], but apparently not as soon as people were expecting. @Cybertrance - I know you want me to ditch my signature, but it forces doppelgängers into a catch-22 situation; If they don't use it, then people will know they aren't me. But if they do use it, it advices people to check if they're me. "Check my join date to make sure I'm legit."[/QUOTE] Something big = release 20 new screenshots
They have said long time ago, that they aren't going to release any new media updates.
[QUOTE=skyms2663;34831358]I remember reading somewhere they said that their current version of Xen shits all over that picture.[/QUOTE] Knowing the Dev´s perfectionism (suffering from that on here too :v: ), the quality could be close to the esther´s caves.
[QUOTE=killer89;34865634]Knowing the Dev´s perfectionism (suffering from that on here too :v: ), the quality could be close to the esther´s caves.[/QUOTE] No, it'll be even better, because the developers will spend so long making them that there'll be a new "must-have" technology that they'll scrap the level to implement. Then by the time they're done with that, there'll be even more new things that they will have to implement, then more, then more, then more. A vicious cycle of perfectionism > critisism > perfectionism.
[QUOTE=Antimuffin;34864924]They have said long time ago, that they aren't going to release any new media updates.[/QUOTE] They also said a long time ago that it would be released in 2009
I am a hardcore half-life 1 fan.Been playing half-life 1 my whole life and I actually have lost my hype for this.Seriously it's been such a long time.
[url]http://www.planetphillip.com/posts/operation-black-mesa-and-guard-duty-interview/[/url] 2 of the remakes, Operation Black Mesa (aka Opposing Force Source) and Guard Duty (Blue Shift Source) join together to increase their quality. On a side note, this thread should change onto "the Source remakes", where we could talk about BMS, OBM, Guard Duty, and the less known Hazard Team (a Source remake of Half Life Decay).
[QUOTE=Sub-Zero;34866831]I am a hardcore half-life 1 fan.Been playing half-life 1 my whole life and I actually have lost my hype for this.Seriously it's been such a long time.[/QUOTE] oh hey another one "I care so little now about black Mesa that I came into the thread and took the time to post about how little I care about it"
[QUOTE=relinquish;34862633]Micheal Tannock - BMS Prop modeler. (From Moddb page) I've returned from my holiday to the Canary Islands. I wish I could say I enjoyed myself there, but it was cold for the first time ever, and I'd only packed shorts and t-shirts. Still, I did miss the snow in England, just. @Disturbulator - sorry for not getting to your question before I left. [B]We really are planning something big[/B], but apparently not as soon as people were expecting. @Cybertrance - I know you want me to ditch my signature, but it forces doppelgängers into a catch-22 situation; If they don't use it, then people will know they aren't me. But if they do use it, it advices people to check if they're me. "Check my join date to make sure I'm legit."[/QUOTE] Sounds like a vague, half-hearted response to me.
[QUOTE=Sub-Zero;34866831]I am a hardcore half-life 1 fan.Been playing half-life 1 my whole life and I actually have lost my hype for this.Seriously it's been such a long time.[/QUOTE] Half-life was the first video game I ever played. Finished it when I was 5 or 6 :v:
Sorry, you need to Log In to post a reply to this thread.