• Black Mesa: Source V3 - Released September 14th, 2012
    10,000 replies, posted
[QUOTE=Konti;35050526]There is an old rumor that BM team has to send the build to Valve before releasing it on the Internet. Valve supposedly asked for this when they told them about dropping "Source" from the title. That explains a lot. I can understand that they don't want to send an unpolished beta version to Valve... just because we want to help "testing" it.[/QUOTE] No they don't. It is a mod, why would valve care.
[QUOTE=Maestro Fenix;35050473]I´m disappointed about making the sentrys being aimed like HL2 and not like HL1 when it can aim 360º. Those type of things ruins the gameplay.[/QUOTE] You know what else ruins gameplay Turrets that fall over with a single pistol shot
It's almost as if Half-Life 1 gameplay is outdated and over the 10 years since it's been introduced, other more superior mixes of intensity and far more marketable linear storytelling have been introduced.
[QUOTE=The freeman;35050686]You know what else ruins gameplay Turrets that fall over with a single pistol shot [/QUOTE]Sentries do not fall over from a single pistol shot in the original Half-Life. If the BMS team are incapable of mimicking this behavior over 12 years later on a much more advanced engine and instead must lazily parrot a Half-Life 2 design to counteract their ineptitude, then perhaps they're not doing all that great of a job at what they're doing. One of the big fears about Black Mesa is that it's simply going to feel like a Half-Life 2 map pack rather than a true remake of Half-Life 1. Well here's a hint: blatantly shoehorning Half-Life 2 designs into the mod isn't going to help break that stigma.
That the old turret kept falling over is probably the most ridiculous excuse I've ever heard. It's one simple ai that a child could program and a seperate model to assign a locked physics prop to parent the ai to. There. perfect HL1 turrets
[QUOTE=kaskade700;35051088]That the old turret kept falling over is probably the most ridiculous excuse I've ever heard. It's one simple ai that a child could program and a seperate model to assign a locked physics prop to parent the ai to. There. perfect HL1 turrets[/QUOTE] Or they found out that the turrets from HL2 worked just as well, and didn't involve any workarounds to make it function properly.
So you're going with a "Why fix what isn't broken?" mentality? By that logic, the BMS dev team should never have set out to make BMS in the first place, because HL:S isn't broken.
[QUOTE=WillerinV1.02;35045722]thanks man Now I have like 16 tv tropes tabs open you knew this would happen screw you buddy[/QUOTE] Read this post. Clicked the link. It happened to me too. EVERY SINGLE TIME
[QUOTE=kaskade700;35051088]That the old turret kept falling over is probably the most ridiculous excuse I've ever heard. It's one simple ai that a child could program and a seperate model to assign a locked physics prop to parent the ai to. There. perfect HL1 turrets[/QUOTE] Why would you do something as ass backwards as that when you can just change the legs on the fucking turret Seriously why are you complaining about something so fucking insignifigant It's even fucking more realistic I can't understand your logic
He's not complaining, he's showing how that can be fixed because other people besides him were complaining about it.
[QUOTE=kaskade700;35051088]That the old turret kept falling over is probably the most ridiculous excuse I've ever heard. It's one simple ai that a child could program and a seperate model to assign a locked physics prop to parent the ai to. There. perfect HL1 turrets[/QUOTE] They could even just tweak the physics model a bit to make it more stable without having to do any real work.
[QUOTE=Tacosheller;35051860]Why would you do something as ass backwards as that when you can just change the legs on the fucking turret Seriously why are you complaining about something so fucking insignifigant It's even fucking more realistic I can't understand your logic[/QUOTE] Ass backwards? In case you haven't realised modding and game development requires workarounds and lots of them, and adding a few *'s to a couple of names in a setup of 3 entities and then creating a prefab is probably the easiest solution. [QUOTE=Neo Kabuto;35052778]They could even just tweak the physics model a bit to make it more stable without having to do any real work.[/QUOTE] Agreed, but having recently replayed Half-Life 1 there's fundamental changes that makes the two different takes at a turret suitable for different gameplay. The hl2 sentry is frail and tied to the physics of the engine, providing gameplay elements that lets the player re arrange turrets and use them to his advantage, or bash them out of his way with the gravity gun. But the hl1 sentries, coming from another era of computational capabilities and thus gameplay were static, areal denial obstacles that had to be overcome for the player to progress. Either trough classic 90ties videogames explosives, or if you just had your HEV recharged; good old bullets, there was no sneaking your way outside the turrets FOV in hl1. The devs said they are trying to recreate hl1 on source, and I find this new sentry disappointing because it's not only a hl2 asset, but also a hl2 gameplay element replacing an easily recreated sentry gun with completely different role. And to be frank, seeing Half-Life 2 content undeniably takes away from what most mods could have been, be it vanilla source sounds or butt ugly terrain textures.
how is it a HL2 asset? its a completely new model and textures.
It's a hl2 asset because they've decided to go with the coding of the Half-Life 2 sentry and then subsequentially reworked their model to work with it. Also, I'm not really against this new sentry, I just can't seem to make sense of it. Because if they have functional ceiling sentries working they should be able to easily create static floor-level sentries, and since that apparently doesn't seem to have worked out for them maybe they don't even have those :I I honestly don't know what I think of it but I can't help but think it's just sheer laziness.
My ideal sentry would be one that will rotate around when idle, but it can only see what is infont of them. That'd add a possible stealth element as you can sneak around behind it while it's 'scanning', as long as you stay on the opposite side from the camera. And when you knock it over, it can make a repeated error noise (as a signal to nearby troops that it needs to be picked up) instead of shutting off right away.
The Atomic review on medium settings [img]http://i.imgur.com/7p4qK.jpg[/img] The same area with higher graphics settings [img]http://i.imgur.com/0C4zt.jpg[/img] Didn't know if this was old or not.
Looks great [editline]8th March 2012[/editline] Only problem with the metal texture is that one patch thing that would repeat very badly.
[QUOTE=kaskade700;35053465]It's a hl2 asset because they've decided to go with the coding of the Half-Life 2 sentry and then subsequentially reworked their model to work with it. Also, I'm not really against this new sentry, I just can't seem to make sense of it. Because if they have functional ceiling sentries working they should be able to easily create static floor-level sentries, and since that apparently doesn't seem to have worked out for them maybe they don't even have those :I I honestly don't know what I think of it but I can't help but think it's just sheer laziness.[/QUOTE] Doesn't seem like they wanted the static ground sentries, and it only seems natural to want them to be physics based now that they're on the Source engine. [editline]8th March 2012[/editline] And I think that was the plan all along, but it didn't work out with the old sentry model
[QUOTE=Jedi_Rayne;35053964]The Atomic review on medium settings [img]http://i.imgur.com/7p4qK.jpg[/img] The same area with higher graphics settings [img]http://i.imgur.com/0C4zt.jpg[/img] Didn't know if this was old or not.[/QUOTE] Medium graphics set that scientist in the back on fire it seems
[QUOTE=Chrille;35054994]Doesn't seem like they wanted the static ground sentries, and it only seems natural to want them to be physics based now that they're on the Source engine. [editline]8th March 2012[/editline] And I think that was the plan all along, but it didn't work out with the old sentry model[/QUOTE] Very possible, All I want is for them to to be able to turn 360 degrees anyways :v:
[QUOTE=kaskade700;35055166]Very possible, All I want is for them to to be able to turn 360 degrees anyways :v:[/QUOTE] If their lead programmer has his way the source code will be released alongside the mod anyway, making it possible :v:
[QUOTE=Tacosheller;35051860]Why would you do something as ass backwards as that when you can just change the legs on the fucking turret Seriously why are you complaining about something so fucking insignifigant It's even fucking more realistic I can't understand your logic[/QUOTE] Except that HL2 turrets can't rotate?
[QUOTE=CakeMaster7;35058385]Except that HL2 turrets can't rotate?[/QUOTE] You can almost taste the speculation How do you know they didn't, hm, fucking code in rotation? Even if they don't rotate at least they wouldn't be as annoying as fuck as they were in Half-Life. EDIT: Why is this being rated dumb? you can easily see the pivot joint thing on the sentry. [img]http://wiki.blackmesasource.com/images/6/66/Ground_sentry.jpg[/img]
I want them bolted to the ground. Anything else about them, I don't care about.
Who said anything about it using the HL2 AI or falling over easily? They just stole the leg configuration [i]to make it fall over less[/i] and changed the sensor array to look like the combine turret. (Which I'll admit is stupid) Look at the top section. It's nearly the same as the old one with largely just details changed. Also, I suspect that [quote]wasn't directional and was impossible to aim and stand upright.[/quote] means that we'll be able to sneak up directly behind the new ones, pick them up and then carry them around as a portable minigun. This may not be canon, but it sure is fun. [t]http://images.wikia.com/half-life/en/images/f/f5/Combine_Sentry_Gun.jpg[/t][t]http://wiki.blackmesasource.com/images/6/66/Ground_sentry.jpg[/t] [t]http://wiki.blackmesasource.com/images/4/4c/Sentry.jpg[/t]
[quote]Our zombies' animation set mostly uses HL2 animations. They worked much better than the custom ones we made ourselves[/quote] From Raminator (again). HL2 turrets, HL2 headcrab zombies... This is turning into BlackMesalf-Life 2...
[QUOTE=sarevokh;35062184]From Raminator (again). HL2 turrets, HL2 headcrab zombies... This is turning into BlackMesalf-Life 2...[/QUOTE] I don't know, but zombies in HL2 (both animations and models) are not rly good, so I'm not happy to hear this...
[QUOTE=sarevokh;35062184]From Raminator (again). HL2 turrets, HL2 headcrab zombies... This is turning into BlackMesalf-Life 2...[/QUOTE] I dont see it as a bad thing
Zombies are the same in half-life 1 and 2.I mean that it's a headcrab doing it thing.No difference between hl1 zombie and hl2 zombies.
[QUOTE=Sub-Zero;35062783]No difference between hl1 zombie and hl2 zombies.[/QUOTE]That is not true. The walk animation of zombies in the original Half-Life is significantly faster in terms of speed than its HL2 counterparts, making the HL1 zombie a much more immediate threat to the player. And besides, the sight of a zombie with its long, outstretched tendril-like fingers very briskly striding their way towards you is a much spookier sight than a knock-kneed, hunched over sissy clumsily hobbling its way in your direction. [img]http://img833.imageshack.us/img833/8677/zombiesq.jpg[/img] I hope the BMS team is doing their homework because HL1 zombies also do [i]far[/i] more damage with their swipes than their HL2 cousins.
Sorry, you need to Log In to post a reply to this thread.