• CYMA CM048 AK74 Review
    96 replies, posted
I love it when I get to go to your house and handle your wood, felix.
I've got the CM042. Was a couple quid cheaper. Should have gone for the CM048 to be honest. My sights and everything is in good nick though.
My sight didnt actually break until I leant my gun to a friend to use in a movie, so I'm fairly certain that if I hadn't it would still be in good shape [editline]10th July 2011[/editline] [QUOTE=mysteryman;30971781]wait, you weathered this yourself? Do tell, also how did you restain the wood so nicely? Being real wood the stock is usually too skinny to sand or else it may crack into the battery well.[/QUOTE] It was really easy actually. Just use a sanding sponge and take off all the cheap orange paint they used. It's not very thick. and staining is the same as you would do for any other piece of wood, just stain, let dry, and repeat until it's as dark as you want it. For the weathering I just looked at a ton of Russian military photos to get an idea of how much to do, and theres also some good guides on red-alliance
[QUOTE=deathmog;30979187]I hate getting morning wood and waking up on my stomach. It fucking HURTS LIKE FUCK.[/QUOTE] I'd like to repost this for emphasis. They should have public service announcement commercials about this shit.
They really should. MORNING WOOD IS DANGEROUS FOR YOUR HEALTH
I had one of these for my first AEG. Agreed on all counts, OP.
I think this thread has one of the highest percentages of gaybows in this forum. In in case, I love your wood. On the AK.
Does anyone know where that thread is that teaches you how to stain AK hand guards?
[url]http://chairsoft-press.com/articles/guides/guinness-weathering-guide-part-i/[/url] ?
Thats an amazing job stressing that AK. I would do it but I still like how new my 74 looks.
[QUOTE=felix the cat;30965383]you can make yours have OD furniture and dirty it up :D[/QUOTE] [IMG]http://i469.photobucket.com/albums/rr52/SurfmanDD/Ak-74M.jpg[/IMG] Like this?
you know you can ungroup the tape right lol
[QUOTE=Sonydude;31039375]Thats an amazing job stressing that AK. I would do it but I still like how new my 74 looks.[/QUOTE] Thats how I was for the first few months of having the gun. I was determined to let it weather itself, but I got impatient. lol
Answers kinda obvious ;) How do you do it?
PS we used 60+ year old wood stain on it.
How does one make the wood look like that?
Steps for making wood stocks look sexy: 1) Got to the hardware store and buy wood stain of your chosen color (preferably Minwax brand) 2) Sand off the cheap chinese paint/stain with a fine grit sanding block 3) Wipe down stock/handguard with damp rag 4) Shake the can of wood stain before opening, and open can 5) Dip a rag into wood stain and wipe the stain onto the stock/handguard 6) Repeat step five until you've stained the whole piece 7) Allow time for stain to dry 8) Once dry to touch, repeat steps 5-7 until the piece is as dark as you would like it to be 9) Let sit in a clean dry area for up to 48 hours to allow stain to cure 10) Put sexy ass stock and handguard back on your gun
You should have mention when wiping the stain on the wood, brush with the grain of the wood.
[QUOTE=metal man;32845552]when wiping the stain on the wood, brush with the grain of the wood.[/QUOTE] Yes this is important. Thank you :)
Cool, thanks for the answer. I have a 7.2v lipo laying about... will it do well with this gun? (Im not expecting you to be able to answer that question, but hey)
I would take the gearbox down and give it a good shimming and regreasing before I ran a lipo in it. Also, I'd probably replace the cylinder and the piston
[QUOTE=felix the cat;32850065]I would take the gearbox down and give it a good shimming and regreasing before I ran a lipo in it. Also, I'd probably replace the cylinder and the piston[/QUOTE] Aw, nuts, i'm too much of a noob to get into any of that. I'd definitely fuck things up :(.
In that case stick to a 9.6v
Hmm... Well, okay. If i were to get into changing out the cylinder and piston, what should I get?
[url]http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_info.php?cPath=31_52&products_id=1132[/url] [url]http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_info.php?cPath=31_52&products_id=147[/url] [url]http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_info.php?cPath=31_148&products_id=1636[/url] [url]http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_info.php?cPath=31_148&products_id=5793[/url] You could get away with just the piston and cylinder, but if you're doing it you might as well get all of it
Hmm.. Right.. Excuse my ignorance, but why is it recommended to upgrade to these parts? Is it because the lipo will not deliver optimal performance with the CM048 by default or is it because it will damage the internals of the CM048, if not upgraded?
It's because the CM048 internals, while good, are not the best and will wear out quickly on a lipo. Also, with these parts you will get better performance out of the gun in general. Shim the gearbox though. I cannot stress how important this is. Even with the better internals, nothing wears out a gearbox faster than improperly shimmed gears
[QUOTE=felix the cat;32850683]It's because the CM048 internals, while good, are not the best and will wear out quickly on a lipo. Also, with these parts you will get better performance out of the gun in general. Shim the gearbox though. I cannot stress how important this is. Even with the better internals, nothing wears out a gearbox faster than improperly shimmed gears[/QUOTE] Right, i'll do the shimming thing regardless of what battery i go with, i guess. I can't find any of those parts you linked, on danish websites though. Is there anything special about these exact parts or is it possible to just get some that share the same specifications, of some sort?
I was under the impression that 7.4s were slightly less powerful than 9.6s
lipos in general have alot higher output than NiMH iirc [editline]18th October 2011[/editline] [QUOTE=BlakByte;32850922] I can't find any of those parts you linked, on danish websites though. Is there anything special about these exact parts or is it possible to just get some that share the same specifications, of some sort?[/QUOTE] I just picked those because they're really good quality parts.
Sorry, you need to Log In to post a reply to this thread.