• Firearms VI - Mosin McNuggets and Tokarev Tartare
    10,000 replies, posted
My dad has a bushmaster AR-15 from like '03, I like the gun.
[QUOTE=ubertaco;35868581]My dad has a bushmaster AR-15 from like '03, I like the gun.[/QUOTE] I don't understand all the hate on Bushmaster. I have one and it works just fine. Very accurate and has never jammed or malfunctioned on me, even with crappy ammo. It outshoots my buddy's M&P as well.
So FP Firearms thread, I was wondering, is there any connection between fully automatic rifles and pistol grips? Popped into my head and I couldn't think of any rifles which were automatic by design which didn't use the traditional pistol grip. Do they exist? Or is it just really dumb to fire a weapon automatic without a pistol grip for some reason I wouldn't know of because I am not very knowledgeable of firearms?
[QUOTE=Raijin;35866278]Guys, I'm designing an FPS and would like a bit of inspiration. But to prevent this thread to be spammed with non-IRL stuff I suggest you add me on Steam.[/QUOTE] those funny ratings hurt my feelings :( [editline]7th May 2012[/editline] I'm serious.
[QUOTE=cardfan212;35867866]Are the Hi-Point Carbines any good?[/QUOTE] The pistols are heavy and bulky. The carbines are fairly light. Any of them will eat whatever ammo you feed it.
[QUOTE=DChapsfield;35869444]So FP Firearms thread, I was wondering, is there any connection between fully automatic rifles and pistol grips? Popped into my head and I couldn't think of any rifles which were automatic by design which didn't use the traditional pistol grip. Do they exist? Or is it just really dumb to fire a weapon automatic without a pistol grip for some reason I wouldn't know of because I am not very knowledgeable of firearms?[/QUOTE] I may be wrong, but when you use the traditional rifle grip (like an M1 or M14), when the rifle recoils instead of going straight back, it goes up on a semi-auto or bolt action its not that big a deal, but with a full auto one burst and you're way off target. When the M14 was introduced at full auto, it was completely uncontrollable due to it's recoil. but the M16 with it's pistol grip was more manageable because the recoil went straight back instead of up.
Yeah, because you're effectively just using your thumb to hold it down, and down near the pivot point. Not really great if you understand physics and dynamics. The M1 carbine, when made full auto, they even added a pistol grip to it. Same for the M14. [IMG]http://www.imfdb.org/w/images/c/ca/M14E2SAW.jpg[/IMG]
[QUOTE=Ridge;35869797]The pistols are heavy and bulky. The carbines are fairly light. Any of them will eat whatever ammo you feed it.[/QUOTE] Ugly things, though.
[QUOTE=massn7;35870425]Ugly things, though.[/QUOTE] I kinda (just barely though) like the look of the Carbine, but I'll most likely get a non-tacticool stock for it.
The ATI stock makes it look much better. [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/UxmvV.jpg[/IMG]
It still looks absolutely horrible though.
Looks like it wants to be a Beretta Cx4. This is sadder than "assault weapon" bodykits for 10/22s...
A lot of BARs shoot without pistol grips and I believe they shoot .30-06.
It also weighed 20 pounds empty.
[QUOTE=Ridge;35876552]It also weighed 20 pounds empty.[/QUOTE] I think we can all agree that the BAR was a heavy beast.
So I'm stuck on what to get for my next purchase. I'm looking at one of the three following bits/sets/things Set 1: $500 Romanian AK-47 Import, AK-MV with wooden stock Set 2: $400, JW-2000 Norico Coach 12 Gauge dual barrel shotgun + Type 53 Chinese Nagant Set 3: $400, Round Receiver 91/30 Sniper with original 3.5x PU Scope manufactured in Tula I'm leaning towards either the second or third set, because I need an excuse to buy another 440 rounds of 7.62x54mmR but at the same time I'd LOVE to have an AK-47. Can you guys offer some advice? Also do any of you guys know reputable places to get cans/tins of surplus 7.62x39mm ammunition? Classic Firearms HAD some but they pulled it. I guess they went OOS. [editline]8th May 2012[/editline] Also. Can you load/fire 7.92x57mm Mauser from a Steyr-Mannlicher M1895?
[QUOTE=Ven Kaeo;35879862]So I'm stuck on what to get for my next purchase. I'm looking at one of the three following bits/sets/things Set 1: $500 Romanian AK-47 Import, AK-MV with wooden stock Set 2: $400, JW-2000 Norico Coach 12 Gauge dual barrel shotgun + Type 53 Chinese Nagant Set 3: $400, Round Receiver 91/30 Sniper with original 3.5x PU Scope manufactured in Tula I'm leaning towards either the second or third set, because I need an excuse to buy another 440 rounds of 7.62x54mmR but at the same time I'd LOVE to have an AK-47. Can you guys offer some advice? Also do any of you guys know reputable places to get cans/tins of surplus 7.62x39mm ammunition? Classic Firearms HAD some but they pulled it. I guess they went OOS. [editline]8th May 2012[/editline] Also. Can you load/fire 7.92x57mm Mauser from a Steyr-Mannlicher M1895?[/QUOTE] Go with 3. And no, different ammo.
Not trying to question your knowledge, but are you sure? When I look up the Steyr Mannlichter 1895 under the list of cartridges it fires, it has 7.92x57mm. Is that with, like, a modification or a specific version of the rifle? If so, which one?
How cheap can I get an FN FAL (semi auto) in the US?
[QUOTE=Ven Kaeo;35880064]Not trying to question your knowledge, but are you sure? When I look up the Steyr Mannlichter 1895 under the list of cartridges it fires, it has 7.92x57mm. Is that with, like, a modification or a specific version of the rifle? If so, which one?[/QUOTE] What are you smoking? The M1895s uses 8x50R. Two foreign variants use 8mm Mauser. M95/24, Greek, and M95M, Yugoslavian. [editline]9th May 2012[/editline] And get the M91-30
[QUOTE=Ven Kaeo;35880064]Not trying to question your knowledge, but are you sure? When I look up the Steyr Mannlichter 1895 under the list of cartridges it fires, it has 7.92x57mm. Is that with, like, a modification or a specific version of the rifle? If so, which one?[/QUOTE] That was a modification done by the germans, Most are chambered in 8x56R
[QUOTE=faze;35880094]How cheap can I get an FN FAL (semi auto) in the US?[/QUOTE] I've seen the Century Arms FAL's go for usually around $600-$700. They're hard to find in general.
[QUOTE=Gubbinz96;35880412]I've seen the Century Arms FAL's go for usually around $600-$700. They're hard to find in general.[/QUOTE] Well I want a good SHTF weapon. Good for long range, tons of attachments, cheap ammo, etc. I already have an AK but I'd like longer range but still in the assault rifle format.
the FAL is a battle rifle the FAL isn't inherently accurate what do you mean by attachments? if you want a reliable and good battle rifle then get an enfield and rechamber it for 7,62x54r .308win/7,62x51 is a dumb choice for a "shtf" rifle
[QUOTE=PrusseluskenV2;35880475]the FAL is a battle rifle the FAL isn't inherently accurate what do you mean by attachments? if you want a reliable and good battle rifle then get an enfield and rechamber it for 7,62x54r .308win/7,62x51 is a dumb choice for a "shtf" rifle[/QUOTE] What makes .308 a bad shtf round? There's plenty of it in the civilian population, not to mention the military supplies. Ballistically speaking it's compairable to 7.62 russian, and the majority of surplus does not contain corrosive primers. Not to mention the brass is reloaded much easier than surplus russian/eastern bloc ammo.
I'm looking for a good weapon with cheap/practical ammo. Not a debate on which is better.
[QUOTE=UncleJimmema;35880519]What makes .308 a bad shtf round? There's plenty of it in the civilian population, not to mention the military supplies. Ballistically speaking it's compairable to 7.62 russian, and the majority of surplus does not contain corrosive primers. Not to mention the brass is reloaded much easier than surplus russian/eastern bloc ammo.[/QUOTE] Because it's heavy, it's high drag and it'll be gone within a day if "shtf" (stores won't remain stocked for months allowing you to browse at your leisure picking out your favourite loads)
[QUOTE=PrusseluskenV2;35880572]Because it's heavy, it's high drag and it'll be gone within a day if "shtf" (stores won't remain stocked for months allowing you to browse at your leisure picking out your favourite loads)[/QUOTE] I can stock up now. I have a 2 car garage with one car in it.
and if you want a long range rifle then get a tikka/sako, sauer, blaser or s&l a decent fal does 2moa on a good day if you decide to use a 2 moa @ 100 yrd rifle on a target 800 metres away you'll be in for a rough ride
[QUOTE=PrusseluskenV2;35880611]and if you want a long range rifle then get a tikka/sako, sauer, blaser or s&l a decent fal does 2moa on a good day if you decide to use a 2 moa @ 100 yrd rifle on a target 800 metres away you'll be in for a rough ride[/QUOTE] How reasonably priced are they in the states?
Sorry, you need to Log In to post a reply to this thread.