• Musicians Off-topic Discussion Thread v2 - Now with 250% more dubstep
    1,001 replies, posted
[QUOTE=Croix;35002566]Macs don't support vst plugins[/QUOTE] They do. Logic exclusively uses AU though.
[QUOTE=T.F.W.O.;35000098]Has this section ever had any competitions?[/QUOTE]I don't think so. I've thought about doing a "bad samples, good song" kind of competition, but I've never gotten around collecting a bunch of samples :/
[QUOTE=Tezzanator92;35003535]If you are serious about music production you won't be using the onboard audio anyway and if you know your stuff you'll buy a laptop with a firewire chipset that works well with your interface, for most interfaces this is one made by Texas Instruments. But this is not always the case (Macs have Ti) Using a properly designed professional audio interface will: Allow you to push your sample rate up and your buffer sizes down. Decreasing Latency Give you better AD/DA Conversion than any integrated audio could [i]ever[/i] give you Give you PROPER +4db balanced outputs, [i]Which if you are playing a laptop through a professional sound system is a good thing[/i] In the case of a laptop this will have to be external. I suppose, then, that the people I have done work for are completely deaf, because I keep getting work. Seriously, where did you hear this? The noise level is completely dependent on the interface and what you have plugged into it, your software should never introduce noise into your audio. Ok at a push, a poorly grounded computer could send some electrical noise down the firewire cable but this is a problem you could face with ANY audio set up. Even if there is no computer. Completely subjective. I have personally used it and I think it's a load of crap, but hey each to their own. All of the above is mostly platform agnostic. Don't buy a mac "Just because it's a mac". It's not going to be advantageous in any way on the hardware side of things. If the OS works for you and your software is compatible with a mac then that is what you will buy. I don't care if you use a mac, a windows/linux PC, an old Atari with Cubase 1 or an array of switches that you hand toggle to attain samples. Stuff like this does nothing but cause problems for people when they are building their system up. I get 6ms total delay (Equal to standing roughly 6 feet from a sound source) through my system (In and back out) running at 48khz sample rate on my i5 windows system. This is Low enough to use a software mixer to create cue mixes. And yes I have used a mac, extensively, with pro tools.[/QUOTE] god i admitted i was wrong did you really feel the need to write out a page on why i was wrong though i completely disagree about using an interface if you want to be professional.
Sorry for providing concise explanations so others can learn? I was purposefully non-hostile towards you, I have no interest in pissing people off. I suppose that is hard to get across in text form.
Anybody know how to make wubs in FL Studio 10?
[QUOTE=Bobie;35008034] though i completely disagree about using an interface if you want to be professional.[/QUOTE] Why? I don't mean to be hostile or anything, I'm just genuinely interested.
you can be 'professional' no matter what hardware you use to create or mix down music
My monitors arrived in the mail today. They sound AMAZING. [IMG]http://i42.tinypic.com/ao01gh.jpg[/IMG]
Nice. I have the 8 inch version of those. They sound great, but they do kinda colour your mix. Looking into getting some Adam AX7's after hearing some good things about them/listening to them.
[QUOTE=Neat!;35008290]Anybody know how to make wubs in FL Studio 10?[/QUOTE] look up about 10 posts
[QUOTE=healthpoint;35011388]Nice. I have the 8 inch version of those. They sound great, but they do kinda colour your mix. Looking into getting some Adam AX7's after hearing some good things about them/listening to them.[/QUOTE] I have the first generation 5's and I love 'em. My dream tier speakers are definitely Genelecs.
[QUOTE=Slowbro;35011243]My monitors arrived in the mail today. They sound AMAZING. [IMG]http://i42.tinypic.com/ao01gh.jpg[/IMG][/QUOTE] you could have gotten a nice MA-15D set for like $20 more. just saying [editline]5th March 2012[/editline] dream tier for me is a nice set of JBL LSR6332s spending $3500 on speakers though is wild to me but after I first listened to them I knew I had to have them some day
When you guys have those nice studio monitors, do you use them exclusively for music production or do you also use them for everyday use?
Both, I listen to music on them all the time. I switch between them, and my headphones.
[QUOTE=T.F.W.O.;35012934]When you guys have those nice studio monitors, do you use them exclusively for music production or do you also use them for everyday use?[/QUOTE] I use them for everyday use except for playing games which I use my headphones for
[QUOTE=Pal13;35004226]They do. Logic exclusively uses AU though.[/QUOTE] Ah, I must have misunderstood this then. Thanks for correcting me. [editline]6th March 2012[/editline] [QUOTE=Bobie;35009390]you can be 'professional' no matter what hardware you use to create or mix down music[/QUOTE] But monitors and an interface make it a lot easier. Also you can't make music on 12 dollar speakers and 5 dollar headphones. I want my damn headphones back.
Does anyone know of a VST that works like a loop station? Preferably one that can be controlled with midi pads.
What kind of condenser mic would be good to purchase for a reasonably low price range? (50-100 pounds) I'm looking at recording vocals, acoustic guitar, flute, maybe drums, so a nice crisp sound would be good.
[QUOTE=CheeserCrice;35040491]What kind of condenser mic would be good to purchase for a reasonably low price range? (50-100 pounds) I'm looking at recording vocals, acoustic guitar, flute, maybe drums, so a nice crisp sound would be good.[/QUOTE] your best bet is shure sm57, you wont get a mic that can handle all that for lower price though unless you want really crappy quality on mic.
[QUOTE=Skeeter;35040627]your best bet is shure sm57, you wont get a mic that can handle all that for lower price though unless you want really crappy quality on mic.[/QUOTE] He asked for a condensor mic. And you're wrong, anyway. I've personally got a behringer c3, very nice.. great for guitar and vocals but it can be used for most things.
I've heard praise for the MXL 990, but I'm worried vocals might sound a bit nasal through it. Could this be solved by mixing on the recording?
[QUOTE=CheeserCrice;35040685]I've heard praise for the MXL 990, but I'm worried vocals might sound a bit nasal through it. Could this be solved by mixing on the recording?[/QUOTE] I doubt there'd be an issue, looking at the frequency response, but yes with a little EQing that'd be fine anyway.
cheers for the advice
[QUOTE=chaz13;35040668]He asked for a condensor mic. And you're wrong, anyway. I've personally got a behringer c3, very nice.. great for guitar and vocals but it can be used for most things.[/QUOTE] oh true i just saw good microphhone for all that, good it can handle guitar and vocals, he asked for mic that can handle drums too, and flute, and have a mic that can handle drums is going to be really, really hard on budget he has if he wants it to record guitar and vocals too [editline]7th March 2012[/editline] [QUOTE=CheeserCrice;35040685]I've heard praise for the MXL 990, but I'm worried vocals might sound a bit nasal through it. Could this be solved by mixing on the recording?[/QUOTE] i dont think nasal vocals can be fixed with mixing, not how i think you mean atleast :smile: if you sing nasal you sing nasal, only way to change is by fixing singing technique i think.
you [I]can[/I] fix it by EQing, but of course proper technique is preferable. im pretty sure the shure (lol) mic is a dynamic one, not condenser.
I'm trying to learn songs by ear, it's not going that well.
[QUOTE=KillerTele;35048475]I'm trying to learn songs by ear, it's not going that well.[/QUOTE]Your avatar syncs with the song I'm listening to
[QUOTE=Skeeter;35041461]oh true i just saw good microphhone for all that, good it can handle guitar and vocals, he asked for mic that can handle drums too, and flute, and have a mic that can handle drums is going to be really, really hard on budget he has if he wants it to record guitar and vocals too [editline]7th March 2012[/editline] i dont think nasal vocals can be fixed with mixing, not how i think you mean atleast :smile: if you sing nasal you sing nasal, only way to change is by fixing singing technique i think.[/QUOTE] I don't mind if the mic isnt perfect for drums, my main concern is the more melodic instruments. I don't sing nasally i'm just worried the mic might give that impression, should be fine though.
Thinking about getting the Korg nanoPad2, but I've heard the pads stick easily. Is it a good idea to get this? Or are there any good, cheap pad controller alternatives? I was also considering the Akai LPD8 but I'm not sure
anyone know how to create custom drumbeats or so to say using ezdrummer + dfh? i'm guessing using a midi keyboard is the easiest?
Sorry, you need to Log In to post a reply to this thread.