• I returned an envelope containing $300 today: Feeling very good about myself
    109 replies, posted
:love:
ITT: kids tell OP to act hardcore
[QUOTE=N0 WAR;21380315]ITT: kids tell OP to act hardcore[/QUOTE] OP needs to kick the door in execute the guy in front of his 12 year old son and wife, torture them with red hot metal coat hangers kill them, buy coke and snort it all at once.
[QUOTE=freighter014;21380297]Have you ever heard of "altruism?" Like maybe how it doesn't exist? Search it up. For every donation, every act of good will, every anonymous aid there is a selfish motive behind it. Example: I donated $10 to the Salvation Army today. Why? Because it makes me feel "selfless," it makes me feel that I'm a benevolent, kind-hearted member of society. My peers will look at me and say, "Wow, that guy is pretty cool, he's willing to give money to children in Africa because he cares!" Wrong. I don't care. Why would I care about some kid I don't know? I'm doing it for myself, and myself only. [url]http://bartwilson.blogspot.com/2005/10/does-altruism-exist.html[/url] ^ Interesting Article. Go write an essay on it.[/QUOTE] [URL=http://img15.imageshack.us/i/20070910.jpg/][IMG]http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/2356/20070910.jpg[/IMG][/URL] On-Topic: OP did the right thing. It could be considered that he did the lesser of two selfish evils :P But good job.
[QUOTE=freighter014;21380297]Have you ever heard of "altruism?" Like maybe how it doesn't exist? Search it up. For every donation, every act of good will, every anonymous aid there is a selfish motive behind it. Example: I donated $10 to the Salvation Army today. Why? Because it makes me feel "selfless," it makes me feel that I'm a benevolent, kind-hearted member of society. My peers will look at me and say, "Wow, that guy is pretty cool, he's willing to give money to children in Africa because he cares!" Wrong. I don't care. Why would I care about some kid I don't know? I'm doing it for myself, and myself only. [URL]http://bartwilson.blogspot.com/2005/10/does-altruism-exist.html[/URL] ^ Interesting Article. Go write an essay on it.[/QUOTE] That's not always true. I like to help people, I don't expect any kind of reward from doing that.
Damn man, giving back $300 that you've found must be really hard, I applaud you sir. :golfclap:
I would of just given him $50 and keep the rest
[QUOTE=freighter014;21380219]Wow really, if the only reason you did that was to receive a pat on the back, then why not just keep the money? Fact: OP is not a good person. He is only did this so he can feel better about himself. In other words, he really didn't give a shit about the old man. All he cared about was himself, and how the old man treated him afterwards.[/QUOTE] This goes along with my hypothesis that all human actions are based on self needs. If you think about it, everything we do is our choice. If you chose to do it, then it is satisfying your gratification in some way or form, whether you realize it or not. It gets kind of confusing, especially with things like "I didn't want to go to school, but I did." Well that person chose to go to school because they found that it will benefit them more than not going, probably in the sense that their parents punishment is not worth it, keeping up with school work, or simply for their own education. If you see any flaw in this idea, please say so. I feel it is very iffy but find it difficult to point out any errors. [editline]01:51AM[/editline] [QUOTE=freighter014;21380297]Have you ever heard of "altruism?" Like maybe how it doesn't exist? Search it up. For every donation, every act of good will, every anonymous aid there is a selfish motive behind it. Example: I donated $10 to the Salvation Army today. Why? Because it makes me feel "selfless," it makes me feel that I'm a benevolent, kind-hearted member of society. My peers will look at me and say, "Wow, that guy is pretty cool, he's willing to give money to children in Africa because he cares!" Wrong. I don't care. Why would I care about some kid I don't know? I'm doing it for myself, and myself only. [URL]http://bartwilson.blogspot.com/2005/10/does-altruism-exist.html[/URL] ^ Interesting Article. Go write an essay on it.[/QUOTE] OH SON OF A FUCKING BITCH THIS ALWAYS HAPPENS. Oh well. At least I know I was onto something. Not to sound all-mighty but this does happen a lot with ideas of mine. But I'd rather have found it to be true than to be false. Odds are I'm not the only one to think of my ideas, or to have thought of it first. [editline]01:52AM[/editline] [QUOTE=Natrox;21380443]That's not always true. I like to help people, I don't expect any kind of reward from doing that.[/QUOTE] You like doing it. You [I]like[/I] doing it. You are selfish because you only help people to make yourself feel better.
Honestly, I'd have kept every penny without thinking twice.
[QUOTE=Zoo;21380523]You like doing it. You [I]like[/I] doing it. You are selfish because you only help people to make yourself feel better.[/QUOTE] I would help people, even if it did not make me feel better.
+7 Paragon.
i would of kept it
I would of kept it, i would have been much more happyer if i spent it on hookers...
[QUOTE=freighter014;21380297]Have you ever heard of "altruism?" Like maybe how it doesn't exist? Search it up. For every donation, every act of good will, every anonymous aid there is a selfish motive behind it. Example: I donated $10 to the Salvation Army today. Why? Because it makes me feel "selfless," it makes me feel that I'm a benevolent, kind-hearted member of society. My peers will look at me and say, "Wow, that guy is pretty cool, he's willing to give money to children in Africa because he cares!" Wrong. I don't care. Why would I care about some kid I don't know? I'm doing it for myself, and myself only. [url]http://bartwilson.blogspot.com/2005/10/does-altruism-exist.html[/url] ^ Interesting Article. Go write an essay on it.[/QUOTE] How about this: You meet a girl (or a guy if you're a girl, or gay), and you become really close and eventually you develop strong feelings for her. You really like her, but it turns out she's liked somebody else for a while now. Weighing the situation you realise that she'll probably be happier with the other guy, and knowing fine well that you could convincer her that you're better than him and you could 'have her to yourself' you decide not to because in the end you want her to be happy. Where's the selfishness? You see a car crash and flip over. It catches on fire. You rush over to the crash and pull the occupant of the car out from the wreckage risking your own life in the process knowing that you're the only help around and that by the time anyone else gets there: they'll be dead. How about there? Sure, a lot of 'good deeds' have ulterior motives behind them, but a lot of them are just because... well, why not? Why not help someone who's in trouble?
[QUOTE=Natrox;21380576]I would help people, even if it did not make me feel better.[/QUOTE] So you would rather help people than not help them? You are satisfying your own greed. It's tough to get around, but there may be some ways. The only way to act out in a complete non-selfish manner would have to be something like this: You take a hammer and decide you are going to knock your teeth out. You don't decide that you [I]want[/I] to, you decide that you are [I]going[/I] to. You are in no way doing this to prove anything to anyone including yourself. Mentally you always have two options: What you want to do and what you don't want to do. The only way to do the second option is to not choose it, but perform it. Nothing is [I]physically[/I] stopping you from performing it. If you in no way, shape, or form want to punch yourself in the face, you can still perform it physically, therefore completing the act of doing what you don't wish to do. It's very complicated and requires you to think deep about it. I'm not sure if I've ever performed a non-selfish act in my life. I'm going to try it. I have to mentally tell myself that I do not want to pick my keys off my desk. But it was my idea to do it in the first place and I had the idea only to achieve performing a non-selfish act. This is near impossible folks. You try it.
[QUOTE=sltungle;21380719]How about this: You meet a girl (or a guy if you're a girl, or gay), and you become really close and eventually you develop strong feelings for her. You really like her, but it turns out she's liked somebody else for a while now. Weighing the situation you realise that she'll probably be happier with the other guy, and knowing fine well that you could convincer her that you're better than him and you could 'have her to yourself' you decide not to because in the end you want her to be happy.[/QUOTE] I was just about to say this ^
[QUOTE=sltungle;21380719]How about this: You meet a girl (or a guy if you're a girl, or gay), and you become really close and eventually you develop strong feelings for her. You really like her, but it turns out she's liked somebody else for a while now. Weighing the situation you realise that she'll probably be happier with the other guy, and knowing fine well that you could convincer her that you're better than him and you could 'have her to yourself' you decide not to because in the end you want her to be happy. Where's the selfishness?[/QUOTE] [quote]you [B]want[/B] her to be happy.[/quote][QUOTE=sltungle;21380719]You see a car crash and flip over. It catches on fire. You rush over to the crash and pull the occupant of the car out from the wreckage risking your own life in the process knowing that you're the only help around and that by the time anyone else gets there: they'll be dead. How about there?[/QUOTE] I chose to help them. I chose to because I would rather help them than not help them, therefore I am satisfying myself by choosing the option that I would rather choose. [QUOTE=sltungle;21380719]Sure, a lot of 'good deeds' have ulterior motives behind them, but a lot of them are just because... well, why not? Why not help someone who's in trouble?[/QUOTE] In a "why not?" decision when one chooses to perform the action in question, one chooses to do so because one feels it is more productive and effective than doing nothing. [editline]02:37AM[/editline] Stop thinking of it as what you know selfishness of being currently. This is different. This kind of selfishness is only relative to one's self. One is always picking the choice that he would rather choose. By doing so, he has chosen the choice that he wanted to. He wanted to choose that. One got what one wanted, relative to choosing which choice, not what the choices are or represent. I love this shit. It's a real brain exercise.
I was going to argue this but I get the feeling you're going to keep highlighting singular words and make them seem like big deals. Suffice it to say sometimes people DO do good things to help others without it being an ultimately selfish deed. Maybe not many people, but it does happen. Try letting somebody go who you care about because you know they'll be happier with someone else and then come back and tell me that you made a selfish decision. Given how shit you feel about not being with them I think it's safe to say you DIDN'T make a selfish decision.
My friend found $2,400 in the parking lot once. New HD-TV > warm and fuzzy feeling inside.
op was expecting a hot chick to open the door. Better luck next time.
It sounds like that someone already took some of the money and took it(since the envelope was torn), so he probably thought "aww that fucker stole some of my money!" afterwards, so you could have took some anyway :v:
[QUOTE=sltungle;21381007]I was going to argue this but I get the feeling you're going to keep highlighting singular words and make them seem like big deals. Suffice it to say sometimes people DO do good things to help others without it being an ultimately selfish deed. Maybe not many people, but it does happen. Try letting somebody go who you care about because you know they'll be happier with someone else and then come back and tell me that you made a selfish decision. Given how shit you feel about not being with them I think it's safe to say you DIDN'T make a selfish decision.[/QUOTE] You are still thinking of selfishness as to relating to ethics and morals. This is completely different. You have to look at it in a different way. It's all psychological. [editline]03:27AM[/editline] [QUOTE=B-hazard;21381323]It sounds like that someone already took some of the money and took it(since the envelope was torn), so he probably thought "aww that fucker stole some of my money!" afterwards, so you could have took some anyway :v:[/QUOTE] Nah, it was probably some European tourist that found it and ripped open a hole to get a looksie then said "What the fuck is this shit? Worthless." Then threw it back on the ground.
If you really were a 'good person' and did this because you're so holy, you wouldn't have created a thread to get all this recognition...
Reminds me of when I found $200 at a skiing place. Just 2 $100 bills on the ground. I picked it up and didn't even think of returning it. I mean there was nothing to use to return it with, and anyone I would ask would claim it...
Well, I was at a waterpark and lost my wallet, it only had $90 in it. But, all the other stuff (license/SS card/debit cards) would be annoying to replace. I was shitting bricks all day, dreading leaving it, but I stopped by the lost and found right before I left hoping it was there and I was pleasantly surprised that it was there and nothing was missing. I def. wouldn't a large sum of money ($2,000+) if I found it. Never know who could be missing it.
[QUOTE=freighter014;21380219]Wow really, if the only reason you did that was to receive a pat on the back, then why not just keep the money? Fact: OP is not a good person. He is only did this so he can feel better about himself. In other words, he really didn't give a shit about the old man. All he cared about was himself, and how the old man treated him afterwards.[/QUOTE] Ever single action that anybody will ever take is the one that they think will make them feel better. There are no good people. So there's no reason to say he should have taken the money has he was merely taking the action that would make him feel better.
Isnt mailing money illegal?
[QUOTE=TheForeigner;21382067]Isnt mailing money illegal?[/QUOTE] He should have kept the money and report the old guy. Set his house on fire too.
I would have kept it. Why? because I'm a evil bastard and could buy new tires for my truck with 300 dollars
[QUOTE=MR-X;21382212]I would have kept it. Why? because I'm a evil bastard and could buy new tires for my truck with 300 dollars[/QUOTE] those are some cheap tires
Sorry, you need to Log In to post a reply to this thread.