• Rate the last movie you watched - February
    10,003 replies, posted
Coincidentally Dr.Strangelove was on free to air tv today. I give it a 6/10 It wasn't horrible and i found some bits quite humorous (particularly the phone conversations between the president and demetri). But it wasnt amazing either.
[QUOTE=junker|154;38107115][b]Mullholland Drive[/b] That was by far one of the best movies that I ever saw, my mind was blown and I was simply stunned by everything. It has such a deep and interesting story, the movie plays with your mind. It does not simply give to story away right from the start. The acting is topnotch, so is the soundtrack. At the end everything makes sense. I definitly recommend this movie to anyone who is interested in psychedelic movies. 10/10[/QUOTE] you used the words deep, top notch, psychedelic and mind blown in the same review. :v: It's too bad they're all cliched, but I doubt anyone understood that movie on a first watch...
Magic Mike - ohgodwhy/10 The acting... I don'- w- just nope.
Safety Not Guaranteed 9/10 Great, simple movie. I love how they kept it so simple and honest when they could have so easily gone too 'indie' or hipster-y, especially with the time travel. Also, Aubrey Plaza is my spirit animal
Today is Bela Lugosi's 130th birthday. Maybe I should watch Dracula again.
21 Jump Street 9/10 I fucking love Jonah Hill, made me laugh hard.
[QUOTE=AK'z;38110528]you used the words deep, top notch, psychedelic and mind blown in the same review. :v: It's too bad they're all cliched, but I doubt anyone understood that movie on a first watch...[/QUOTE] Well a friend of mine suggested that we should watch it, we were classy in a lounge at his home while drinking some good ol' whiskey. After the movie we had like a discussion about the movie, he asked us what the movie is all about. Later on he explained some of the things and then it all made sense.
[QUOTE=junker|154;38112072]Later on he explained some of the things and then it all made sense.[/QUOTE] if you could tell us a few things you found out, it'll be helpful. :)
Men in Black 3 8/10 Was fairly standard in its plot but eh it's got Will Smith being Will Smith, something that I've been waiting for for far too long. And it redeemed the god awful MiB2.
Well, my english skills are not the best ones but I will try to do my best. Anyway the movie is about jealousy, envy, treason and despair. The movie has many little details and there are still some things about it that I do not understand. Basically the story is about the girl Betty, she arrives in Los Angeles and wants to be a great actress. Her life seems like a complete dream, she has an awesome flat, a great casting, she looks good etc. Few days after her arrival in the city she met a woman in her own flat, her name is Rita. Rita had a car accident and well lost all of her memories. Betty and Rita try to work out what happened to her and investigate the whole incident. This movie is really hard to describe due to all the details. So I just write it down in a few sentences :v: Betty is dreaming all the time and only imagining the whole story, nothing is true. It is only her imagination, due to drug use and major depression she imagines that her life is great and that all the other ones are evil. In her dream she is like an angel, almost perfect. In reality she lost touch with everything, she failed as an actress in Hollywood. Succumbing to the pressure and superficial society. Furthermore Rita was a sexual interest of Betty, both are lesbians until Rita decided to stop their romance to be together with some director. Betty is unable to accept such a thing and slowly dies in the inside, she cannot believe it. Rita had been successful all the time and managed to actually be a star in Hollywood. So after all, all the persons that you meet in the movie are characters that she meets at the very end of the movie where she is at a dinner with that director and Rita. She only inversed the whole story in her mind to deal with all the problems that she has. It is some real psychological stuff right there, she simply supersedes the whole story. In her jealousy and despair she finally hires a contract killer to kill Rita. After a while she becomes insane and is unable to cope with the guilt, thus killing herself. The thing is that this movie mixes a lot of different things together without any chronological order. 2/3 of the movie is her dream, there are also many indications for it. Then at the very end you actually see how her life is. Then sometimes it switches back to her dreams, where everything is perfect. In reality it is the opposite. I hope this made any sense at all.
[QUOTE=junker|154;38112208] Betty is dreaming all the time and only imagining the whole story, nothing is true. [/QUOTE] first of all, i'd spoiler tag your whole post. secondly... calling it JUST a dream is the easiest thing to do for a movie like this. Your conclusions, albeit intriguing haven't helped me, sorry. :)
[B]Prometheus [/B]8.2/10 [editline]20th October 2012[/editline] Holy shit forgot about [B]Killer Joe[/B]; 8/10 Really amazing acting from Matthew McConaughey (damn his fucking last name is annoying to spell out) and I liked the story. It felt a bit cheap from time to time, though. [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxpvzmvFHTM[/media] The trailer makes it out to be a lot funnier/more action filled than it is. It's pretty weird, dark and slow-paced, which I liked a lot.
[QUOTE=junker|154;38112208]Then at the very end you actually see how her life is. Then sometimes it switches back to her dreams, where everything is perfect. In reality it is the opposite. I hope this made any sense at all.[/QUOTE] you realise all of what you said could be the other way round? That's the messed up aspect of this movie that bends my mind.
Just realized I've only seen Twin Peaks from Lynch, yet I absolutely adore his directing. Getting Blue Velvet and Mullholland Dr. right now
[QUOTE=AK'z;38113437]you realise all of what you said could be the other way round? That's the messed up aspect of this movie that bends my mind.[/QUOTE] Well, why would a person imagine that his life is bad and absolutely horrible. If your life is great you do not necessarily think of your life in a bad way. Perhaps it is not a dream, but a simple imagination of her. Anyway when the movie starts, you can see a bed, perhaps hinting at a dream. Also she wakes up on her bad in that flat. Humans tend to superseed or supress something if something goes bad, they percieve the whole situation different than it really is and try to look the best as possible. Also there are more indications that this might be a dream. There is the scence where 2 guys are sitting in the Twinkies dinner, one said that he was dreaming about the place. Anyway he seems insecure and takes the role of the "dreamer". The other one is firm and more confident. Anyway the the "dreamer" talks about his dreams and dies in the end due to that creature. Also it is suggested that both are homosexual. When Rita and Betty sit in the dinner, Betty sits on the same place as the "dreamer", it might hint that she is only dreaming. Also both are homosexual in a way, thus creating a similiar situation than with the two males. Also the scence where Rita and Betty are at the Club with that show, the music still continues despite that the singer is knocked out. Thus making it unrealistic and supernatural in a way. Also in the Dinner, the waitress is the exact same person as Betty. They both are the same person, hinting at the true destiny of Betty. Not some famous actress, but a waitress in some shitty Diner. [editline]20th October 2012[/editline] Either way, the whole story is a dream or a imagination, perhaps even a daydream of some sort. Always when she switches to that great life, everything looks great. In her real life everything looks miserable and cold. There is a scence where she wakes up and makes some coffee, Betty looks like shit and a zombie. The flat looks dark and grim. Then she walks to the couch where Rita is lying naked. At that point she has a whiskey in her hands, the furniture looks absoluetly different. She looks a lot better. Well, it could also be a wish, that this whole story became truth or that her life should be that way. The mafia being involved in such that particular movie or the cowboy, both ideas are ridiculous and pulled by the hair.
You've only seen it once and managed to analyse it to that much detail? I'll have to see it a few more times to confirm some of your observations.
I watched The Possession. Trashier than I expected, but also not that bad. I wouldn't say it's worth to rent it (if people still do that) or watch it in the movies, though.
[QUOTE=junker|154;38107115][b]Mullholland Drive[/b] That was by far one of the best movies that I ever saw, my mind was blown and I was simply stunned by everything. It has such a deep and interesting story, the movie plays with your mind. It does not simply give to story away right from the start. The acting is topnotch, so is the soundtrack. At the end everything makes sense. I definitly recommend this movie to anyone who is interested in psychedelic movies. 10/10[/QUOTE] If you dug Mullholland Drive that much you'd probably get a kick out of Blue Velvet, Lost Highway, Inland Empire and Twin Peaks as well.
Monster's Inc- 8/10 I praise it for it's originality, but it's not as good as I remember it being. That being said, it's not bad either. It's still very good.
[QUOTE=Cathedral;38113808]If you dug Mullholland Drive that much you'd probably get a kick out of Blue Velvet, Lost Highway, Inland Empire and Twin Peaks as well.[/QUOTE] Might give them a shot, although Twin Peaks is a series, no? I really dislike that, although I heard only good stuff about it.
[QUOTE=junker|154;38114250]Might give them a shot, although Twin Peaks is a series, no? I really dislike that, although I heard only good stuff about it.[/QUOTE] Yeah, it's a series. But what is it in particular that you dislike about series/shows, if I might ask?
Well, I am not really a guy who finds patience in sitting down and watching a movie. I rarely crave for a movie. It is just at times that I really want to see a good movie, so series require a lot of time and patience to watch. It might sound dumb but I do not have the patience to sit down and watch all the episodes. The only series I liked so far is How I met your mother, I never watched a series so religously than that show. I tried watching some but I usually loose interest really fast. Also a lot of series have intentional cliffhangers, which are highly annoying to me. Then you have to wait 2 fucking weeks or so to watch the next episode. This is the case in Game of Thrones, I disliked that so much.
the machinist (2004) what the fuck/10
[QUOTE=junker|154;38114339]Well, I am not really a guy who finds patience in sitting down and watching a movie. I rarely crave for a movie. [/QUOTE] dude, you've just proved how much you analyse complex movies. All this is a lie to yourself. :)
Well, then there are to many shitty movies that are not worth watching. If a movie is great, I kind spent hours on analyzing and rewatching it again.
The Sunset Limited. 10/10 Saw someone else on here had posted about it, really glad I picked it up.
Paranormal Activity 4 "How Did This Get Greenlighted"/10
one hour photo 7/10 fuck theres something wrong with me i couldnt help but enjoy seeing the husband nude that was so hot and what the fuck his wife is actually hot unlike the chick hes out with why would you do that man
[QUOTE=G71tc4;38116865]Paranormal Activity 4 "How Did This Get Greenlighted"/10[/QUOTE] Paranormal Activity 4: Nothing happens for the 4th time
[b][i]God Bless America[/i][/b] What an uncomfortable, crazy movie. I think the presentation of the problem with our "modern" world in this film is bit polarized though. Anyway I don't know what to think of these fucking films, do they want to strike a deep political message or not? Or am I supposed to take it as just violent entertainment, even though the whole film had some sort a point to it, pointing at the people's way of life these days.
Sorry, you need to Log In to post a reply to this thread.