• Photo Offtopic Thread v.2012.1
    4,005 replies, posted
You know guys, if people ever tell you to enjoy yourself because you could be gone in the morning they are right even though you won't think about, come a time you'll understand I suppose. My dad suffered a severe heart attack on Saturday night and he's gone, it didn't seem real till I began to accept it last night and sometimes it still doesn't register with me. Funeral today and it was tough but we as a family were able to cope. I always thought about doing a montage style photo project with my family members and I thought about it a lot on the Friday before I left starting with dad, but he came home late so I never got the chance. Defiantly gonna start it soon with the rest of my family as you really notice how powerful photographs are when you look and think about the memories they hold.
[QUOTE=MisterM;34166377]You know guys, if people ever tell you to enjoy yourself because you could be gone in the morning they are right even though you won't think about, come a time you'll understand I suppose. My dad suffered a severe heart attack on Saturday night and he's gone, it didn't seem real till I began to accept it last night and sometimes it still doesn't register with me. Funeral today and it was tough but we as a family were able to cope. I always thought about doing a montage style photo project with my family members and I thought about it a lot on the Friday before I left starting with dad, but he came home late so I never got the chance. Defiantly gonna start it soon with the rest of my family as you really notice how powerful photographs are when you look and think about the memories they hold.[/QUOTE] <3 Feel for you man, losing your father must be awful :(
[QUOTE=Him1411;34165107]Sorry to sound like a complete dick but what is this? I've never seen one before[/QUOTE] BlackRapid RS-4 camera sling, it's great because instead of having my camera resting on my chest it rests on my hip with the lens pointing behind me. Plus, it's really fast to bring my camera up to take a shot as well compared to the kit strap that came with the camera. The only thing I don't really like about it is the fact that it's fastened to the camera with the tripod socket as roll_program stated, which will get a little annoying having to unscrew it just to attach my camera to a tripod.
I've heard you guys talk about "bokeh" before, and I was rummaging through DC and NY pictures and I'm curious.. Is this considered "good" bokeh, or is it something else entirely? [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeremy_miller/6681684641/][img]http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7027/6681684641_c8e11a3648.jpg[/img][/url] [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeremy_miller/6681684641/]day 2 nik (212)[/url] by [url=http://www.flickr.com/people/jeremy_miller/]Johnbooth2[/url], on Flickr
so this site still hasn't sent me back my 7D, so i've made a decision. I'm going to ask for a refund. And purchase a 5D MKII instead, i'd be upgrading in the end anyway.
[QUOTE=BlazeFresh;34170057]I'm going to ask for a refund.[/QUOTE] Hopefully they'll grant you the money back. I think with all your 35mm experience, you'll really appreciate a 5D. [editline]11th January 2012[/editline] Off topic: Almost predictably, I'm starting to see the Brenizer method being abused to hell. It's not too bad here, but it's catching on fast all over flickr and tumblr. I'll admit I'm directly a part of this, but it's disappointing to see something turn into a ~trend~ like that so quickly. I thought it may have had potential as an interesting technique, but it's really more of a cheap trick. Such is life on the internet.
[QUOTE=bopie;34170102]Hopefully they'll grant you the money back. I think with all your 35mm experience, you'll really appreciate a 5D. [editline]11th January 2012[/editline] Off topic: Almost predictably, I'm starting to see the Brenizer method being abused to hell. It's not too bad here, but it's catching on fast all over flickr and tumblr. I'll admit I'm directly a part of this, but it's disappointing to see something turn into a ~trend~ like that so quickly. I thought it may have had potential as an interesting technique, but it's really more of a cheap trick. Such is life on the internet.[/QUOTE] Well it was bought on a credit card and they still have the camera with them so I'm sure i'll just be able to refund it soon enough. I think i will too, it was the full frame sensor that did it for me, i started to resent the thought of the 7D having a 1.6 crop factor. And i've noticed that, actually. I'm finding it a lot more on flickr and tumblr, I'm hoping it dies down a little because it seems like it has potential. People call it expanding too, just realised it was the same.
what's the image quality like using an older lens on a newer body? for example: canon fd 50mm f/1.8 on a rebel t3 body.
You guys know the best, surefire way to keep my camera lens and sensor clean?
[QUOTE=Slippery-Q;34172057]what's the image quality like using an older lens on a newer body? for example: canon fd 50mm f/1.8 on a rebel t3 body.[/QUOTE] You need an FD -> EF mount, and it wouldn't be able to focus to infinity (unless you buy a correction lens with the expense of some quality). But old lenses tend work to work nice on new bodies. Don't know much about canon's old lenses but Nikon's old AI lenses work great.
[QUOTE=gaboer;34172388]You need an FD -> EF mount, and it wouldn't be able to focus to infinity (unless you buy a correction lens with the expense of some quality). But old lenses tend work to work nice on new bodies. Don't know much about canon's old lenses but Nikon's old AI lenses work great.[/QUOTE] Alrighty, thank you. Another question, to change the aperture on an older lens, you just use the ring around the older lens. On the newer body, would it still work the same way?
The aperture should continue to stop down. Oh, and your camera might not be able to meter due to it being an old lens.
[QUOTE=Slippery-Q;34172057]what's the image quality like using an older lens on a newer body? for example: canon fd 50mm f/1.8 on a rebel t3 body.[/QUOTE] [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/onesizeonly/6674056349/][img]http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7155/6674056349_1f54b8f614_b.jpg[/img][/url] [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/onesizeonly/6674056349/]twigs[/url] by [url=http://www.flickr.com/people/onesizeonly/]onesizeonly[/url], on Flickr This was taken with a very old Auto Chinon 50mm lens on a Panasonic G2 body, I reckon that the only thing that could affect it is if the lens is in good nick or not :)
My d5100 only takes 3 shots in 'continuous' mode. I thought it was a writing speed issue with my memory card so I went out today, paid 50 bucks for a Sandisk Extreme 8gb, up to 30mb/s write speed hoping it would stop the issue. It's an issue with the camera itself. In auto mode regardless of the memory card it will keep firing off shots, in M, A and S mode it only takes 3 shots before 'hanging' until I release the shutter button. I've lost so many opportunities without 'real' continuous shooting. And now I'm out 50 bucks. Wut do?
I remember hearing about the d5100 having an HDR auto bracketing thing that takes a burst of 3 shots at different exposure levels, maybe you have it set to that inadvertently? If you're using flash, the recycle time of the built in flash is probably not fast enough to keep up with continuous shooting, so maybe that's causing it?
Bopie do you have the 50mm 1.4 or the 1.2?
Cool, thanks
Just found this photography forum and came by to say hello! Hopefully, i'll be posting things around here someday.
[QUOTE=bopie;34174615]I remember hearing about the d5100 having an HDR auto bracketing thing that takes a burst of 3 shots at different exposure levels, maybe you have it set to that inadvertently? [/QUOTE] You're a champ! Tell me where you live and we'll make out.
They returned the money! I'll hopefully be purchasing a 5DMKII this weekend! So excited. Would you guys suggest taking out a repair plan/insurance?
Oh man just saw the most beautiful sunset in my life, panorama soon.
[QUOTE=BlazeFresh;34177321]They returned the money! I'll hopefully be purchasing a 5DMKII this weekend! So excited. Would you guys suggest taking out a repair plan/insurance?[/QUOTE] If it's relatively cheap, I don't see why not. It's a nice camera, would be nice to protect it. On another note, I have an old folding camera, and I'm really itching to use it. The problem is, it looks like it either had some fungus or the cement is coming apart; I don't know, but it covers a lot of the little lens. You guys think I should just go stick a roll in there and see what happens or wait and get it cleaned/repaired? (Forgot, the shutter sticks at 1/25th, and probably is slow at the slightly faster speeds. Not at 1/125th, the fastest speed, so far as I can tell.)
[QUOTE=Killerelf12;34177956]If it's relatively cheap, I don't see why not. It's a nice camera, would be nice to protect it. On another note, I have an old folding camera, and I'm really itching to use it. The problem is, it looks like it either had some fungus or the cement is coming apart; I don't know, but it covers a lot of the little lens. You guys think I should just go stick a roll in there and see what happens or wait and get it cleaned/repaired? (Forgot, the shutter sticks at 1/25th, and probably is slow at the slightly faster speeds. Not at 1/125th, the fastest speed, so far as I can tell.)[/QUOTE] Well to get a further 2 year cover it's £150. Not sure how much insurance is though.
[QUOTE=BlazeFresh;34177321]They returned the money! I'll hopefully be purchasing a 5DMKII this weekend! So excited. Would you guys suggest taking out a repair plan/insurance?[/QUOTE]Defiantly do man, if you can afford that beast then you should have measures in place to protect it. If you have any luck with finding out about insurance for it, please do share! Ordered a 35 1.8G. Sent it to the wrong address but still in this suburb. Doh!
[QUOTE=MisterM;34179890]Defiantly do man, if you can afford that beast then you should have measures in place to protect it. If you have any luck with finding out about insurance for it, please do share! Ordered a 35 1.8G. Sent it to the wrong address but still in this suburb. Doh![/QUOTE] Hmm but i think these extended shop warranties are a bit of a rip off like, the cameras have a long life span and parts are probably going to be cheaper than £150. If not, i can still afford to get it fixed. But it's dropping it and stuff which would be the main concern, which i just wouldn't do. I think i have to have insurance linked to my household, which i don't have anyway.
[QUOTE=dirtydirtypanda;34174539]My d5100 only takes 3 shots in 'continuous' mode. I thought it was a writing speed issue with my memory card so I went out today, paid 50 bucks for a Sandisk Extreme 8gb, up to 30mb/s write speed hoping it would stop the issue. It's an issue with the camera itself. In auto mode regardless of the memory card it will keep firing off shots, in M, A and S mode it only takes 3 shots before 'hanging' until I release the shutter button. I've lost so many opportunities without 'real' continuous shooting. And now I'm out 50 bucks. Wut do?[/QUOTE] Probably just the fact your camera's cache is small? not really sure about how large it is on the D5100, but on my D80 i can shoot 5 RAW photos before i have to wait for the images to be transferred. Gives me like 1.66 seconds of cont fire :v:
turn to jpg and see how it performs says [url=http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond5100/page11.asp]here[/url] that you should be able to maintain a burst of raw photos in continuous for 16 straight frames, might be a defect in your camera alternatively, check your menu options. For some reason I think I remember there being something for max continuous shots, but I don't have either my D5000 or 7000 to see if either have that
[QUOTE=bopie;34174615]I remember hearing about the d5100 having an HDR auto bracketing thing that takes a burst of 3 shots at different exposure levels, maybe you have it set to that inadvertently? [/QUOTE] No it's alright, bopie got it straight up. Had auto bracketing on for some reason. With it off I can shoot in RAW format indefinitely
Sent a email to 500px for help over a week ago, as I didn't get an activation email. They still haven't given any word back,:suicide:
Sorry, you need to Log In to post a reply to this thread.