• Photo Offtopic Thread v.2012.1
    4,005 replies, posted
The poundworlds/lands near me are still stocking it, gonna go clear them out tomorrow
£1 film is the best thing. Now they need poundland film developing.
Yeah, I'd noticed they weren't selling the Kodak film any more. Good to see they might have a replacement. I think they sell enough to warrant keeping some sort of 35mm in stock.
excuse me i'm mentally challenged and posted in the wrong thread
ASDA do development for £1? then 15p per any 6x4 print you want and £2 for a cd [editline]21st July 2012[/editline] much better than boots forcing you to develop for £4.49 and that includes all the shots developed onto 6x4 but if you don't want the prints it is still £4.49 and then an extra £4 to put it to CD.. and it takes 3 days where as ASDA is in under an hour
Is this true? ASDA developing for £1? If so, I need to get down to a store soon.
yeahh man! i rang them up a few days ago to find who was cheapest, off down later so i'll let you guys know the dealio with them
Where do you guys normally post your photos to reddit? Just r/pics or r/photography ? I wanna try. :v:
there's /r/itookapicture it's not really that great though
[QUOTE=Ohfoohy;36872054]Where do you guys normally post your photos to reddit? Just r/pics or r/photography ? I wanna try. :v:[/QUOTE] r/photocritique seems like a good place to get feedback
[QUOTE=iWumbo;36849344] [editline]20th July 2012[/editline] Why are Leica range finders so expensive?[/QUOTE] Because rangefinders are the most calculated pieces of camera machinery that exists
It's amazing how nice and civil people who come into this subforum are, even people who make threads as their first posts
[QUOTE=Trogdon;36878407]Because rangefinders are the most calculated pieces of camera machinery that exists[/QUOTE] What do you mean by most calculated?
[QUOTE=iWumbo;36879824]What do you mean by most calculated?[/QUOTE] I assume he meant complex or something along those lines
[QUOTE=Trogdon;36878407]Because rangefinders are the most calculated pieces of camera machinery that exists[/QUOTE] lol what
I've never really taken part in any other subforums, what are they like?
dont do it man
well i only browse here, read the lmao pics thread and that video section.. whats wrong with the others?
oh in that case you've already hit ground zero as far as a blue is concerned
well for me the lmao pics does have some pretty decent content sometimes purely because i never go anywhere else for funny
read sensationalist headlines if you want to be infuriated daily
[QUOTE=Roll_Program;36881015]lol what[/QUOTE] pretty much every part of a rangefinder is precision engineered. The rangefinder mechanisms are MUCH more complicated and complex to assemble than an SLR camera. The parts have to be durable because if any slight thing goes wrong with a part, the whole system won't work. There's a reason why the cheapest of rangefinder M bodies (Voigtlander Bessa's) are still about $1000 new, and have an absolutely terrible reputation. RF coupling systems are intricate and prone to errors. Leica's are expensive because they are very durable. That is that all of these parts are made to last as long as possible, which brings up the price. Though they still run into far more problems than an SLR ever will. Basically the rangefinder technology was an overcomplicated way to shoot. RF coupling mechanisms were required in order to get the viewfinder to adapt to the type of lenses used (which the mechanisms themselves are very expensive. SLR magic sells an M mount lens for $4200 with RF coupling, and $2000 without) and focus properly. The focusing system is much more intricate than merely seeing what the lens would see, because you physically can't. The system is very intricate in order to mimic focusing. it's kind of like how mirrorless cameras simplified the process of the SLR system. Rangefinders were a concept that worked for the time, but aside from a few quirks don't really have an advantage over an SLR system. The technology is dated and expensive to produce, and very few people would actually prefer to use it. Thus it is a niche product, though still produced in the same high quality standard that leica has always done. but basically high quality standards (hand made, very durable parts used in lieu of cheap ones), niche, and lack of competitors drive up leica prices. they aren't on top as they used to be, and if it wasn't for a dedicated fanbase they would not be a company at all.
[QUOTE=Trogdon;36884585] long ass post [/QUOTE] I still think "calculated" is the wrong word for that
[h2]cal·cu·lat·ed/ˈkalkyəˌlātid/[/h2] [b]Adjective:[/b] 1. (of an action) Done with full awareness of the likely consequences. 2. Carefully planned or intended: "vicious and calculated assaults".
[QUOTE=latin_geek;36889769]I still think "calculated" is the wrong word for that[/QUOTE] [QUOTE=bopie;36892823][h2]cal·cu·lat·ed/ˈkalkyəˌlātid/[/h2] [b]Adjective:[/b] 1. (of an action) Done with full awareness of the likely consequences. 2. Carefully planned or intended: "vicious and calculated assaults".[/QUOTE] [B]Calculated[/B][B]:[/B] Proven wrong; Served; Treated. [url]http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=calculated[/url] :v:
[QUOTE=Trogdon;36884585]pretty much every part of a rangefinder is precision engineered. The rangefinder mechanisms are MUCH more complicated and complex to assemble than an SLR camera. The parts have to be durable because if any slight thing goes wrong with a part, the whole system won't work. There's a reason why the cheapest of rangefinder M bodies (Voigtlander Bessa's) are still about $1000 new, and have an absolutely terrible reputation. RF coupling systems are intricate and prone to errors. Leica's are expensive because they are very durable. That is that all of these parts are made to last as long as possible, which brings up the price. Though they still run into far more problems than an SLR ever will. Basically the rangefinder technology was an overcomplicated way to shoot. RF coupling mechanisms were required in order to get the viewfinder to adapt to the type of lenses used (which the mechanisms themselves are very expensive. SLR magic sells an M mount lens for $4200 with RF coupling, and $2000 without) and focus properly. The focusing system is much more intricate than merely seeing what the lens would see, because you physically can't. The system is very intricate in order to mimic focusing. it's kind of like how mirrorless cameras simplified the process of the SLR system. Rangefinders were a concept that worked for the time, but aside from a few quirks don't really have an advantage over an SLR system. The technology is dated and expensive to produce, and very few people would actually prefer to use it. Thus it is a niche product, though still produced in the same high quality standard that leica has always done. but basically high quality standards (hand made, very durable parts used in lieu of cheap ones), niche, and lack of competitors drive up leica prices. they aren't on top as they used to be, and if it wasn't for a dedicated fanbase they would not be a company at all.[/QUOTE] my bessa doesn't like it when you make fun of it :(
vicious and calculated serving of focus couplings
my yashica frowns at trogdon.
Shooting friends senior pics this week. I need tips. My class president did some, and I don't like them that much [IMG]http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/487969_4068088614157_948632278_n.jpg[/IMG] and I want to crush him.
My Zorki-4 angrily disintegrates at trogdon.
Sorry, you need to Log In to post a reply to this thread.