• What did you work on today? (DIY pros ITT)
    5,879 replies, posted
[QUOTE=ThermalArc;37474301]retorqued the flywheel when I torqued the pressure plate bolts I heard one snap, opposite to the one I was torquing. so fuck it, i'm rocking 5/6 bolts on the PP[/QUOTE] What did you torque them to? Also, almost bought a 4AGE silvertop for $500 but the guy sold it out from under me. Sigh.
[QUOTE=bradley;37475385]What did you torque them to? Also, almost bought a 4AGE silvertop for $500 but the guy sold it out from under me. Sigh.[/QUOTE] torqued them to like 18-20ft-lb small 3/8 not bulkystrong tight like I normally do but I guess one had stretched already or something. 5/6 will trow it offbalance but only by a bolt weight (3-4 gram or something). the clamping force will be ok still
Yeah clamping force should be fine, just crazy that a bolt snapped under so little torque. Which reminds me, the last time I put a clutch in my Civic I lost a PP bolt, and needed it together. I ground down a similar-threaded bolt to the appropriate length and then shaved the head until it weighed as much as the other bolts. It's been at ~8k and I've had no problems. Good stuff.
[img]https://dl.dropbox.com/u/5698103/1996%20Cobra/IMG_20120830_222351.jpg[/img] threw in some of those silly $50 sylvania lights that i got from a friend for $10. going to try and get inspected tomorrow! let's hope those MIL eliminators save me and they don't look under the car.
I gotta go through emissions tomorrow after work too. :\ I'll be shocked if I pass. Driver side exhaust flange leaks a little, and my muffler has a hole in it. Should be nice and noisy on the dyno thing in the shop.
[QUOTE=Del91;37477004]I gotta go through emissions tomorrow after work too. :\ I'll be shocked if I pass. Driver side exhaust flange leaks a little, and my muffler has a hole in it. Should be nice and noisy on the dyno thing in the shop.[/QUOTE] Leaky muffler? Try not having one. I can't even legally get my truck inspected right now.
Inspection, ha.
[QUOTE=bradley;37477453]Inspection, ha.[/QUOTE] Seriously, is it just my state or something that doenst have inspections? They dont care about your car unless your a drug dealer. In that case, they'll take it.
Family lisenced mechanic master race, had my truck inspected for free, and the coronet was inspected for free and labeled as "unmodified" haha. I don't know if we have emmisions or anything like that.
[QUOTE=Del91;37477004]I gotta go through emissions tomorrow after work too. :\ I'll be shocked if I pass. Driver side exhaust flange leaks a little, and my muffler has a hole in it. Should be nice and noisy on the dyno thing in the shop.[/QUOTE] over here they don't even try to do emissions if your exhaust is leaking
[QUOTE=bradley;37476603]Yeah clamping force should be fine, just crazy that a bolt snapped under so little torque. Which reminds me, the last time I put a clutch in my Civic I lost a PP bolt, and needed it together. I ground down a similar-threaded bolt to the appropriate length and then shaved the head until it weighed as much as the other bolts. It's been at ~8k and I've had no problems. Good stuff.[/QUOTE] I think if I unbolt the PP I can separe it through the inspection cover, the rest of the thread will be unscrew-able with vicesgrips. but 5/6 will do in the meantime
Yeah. 5/6 should be fine. Man, have you any idea where to find a bellhousing for a SC300 or Mk4 Supra 5 speed gearbox? I've been looking everywhere.
so a JZ W58 bellhousing? everywhere (search supraforums in the forsale) edit: I took the time to think about it, I'll drop by at toyota and buy a new set of pressure plates bolts, I can change them with the trans on without much hassle and I think I'll be able to easily remove the broken one.
Yes, for the w58. How much do they usually run? I can never find one for sale. [editline]31st August 2012[/editline] Registration on supraforums is disabled and guests can't view for sale section. Ugh.
Celicasupra.com has em too. :v:
[QUOTE=areolop;37478562]Seriously, is it just my state or something that doenst have inspections? They dont care about your car unless your a drug dealer. In that case, they'll take it.[/QUOTE] Indiana is awesome, no inspections of any kind except one or two counties near Chicago. I run long tube headers and no cats on my Chrysler and nobody has ever given me a word of grief about it. My exhaust has so many hydrocarbons it probably drifts with the wind and sets off false positives for emissions tests on the East Coast.
No inspection, no smog here. All you have to do is have proof of minimal insurance and tag the car on time and you can drive a rotting heap of shit.
NH lets you get away with a lot of things (no emissions test or title required after like 15 years, custom/kit cars etc can be registered as long as they've got lights and all that jazz) but they've got 50 pages (well, like 35 of them apply to regular street cars) of inspection laws. If your vehicle CAME with an OBD system, it has to be intact and working, things like that. All kinds of stuff doesn't really get enforced, though. Usually cops just pull you over for minor vehicle infractions because they figure they can get you on something more major than a little slap-on-the-wrist "fix it" ticket and most shops will basically give anything a ticket as long as it's not painfully rusted out and just pull the old "hey, it was legal when it came through here" card if anyone comes a-knockin'
Spent 4 hours yesterday tearing down the whole intake manifold and electrical system on the car ('96 BMW 730iL for those not in the know) only to be thwarted by one tiny little bastard bolt on the throttle body. Couldn't believe it. The standard practice seems to be to cut a sensor wire that runs down to the alternator and just patch it back up when you're done, but I'm simply not going to do that... if I could have removed the bowden cables from the throttle body harness I could have done some trickery to hang the e-boxes off to the side and rip the whole intake manifold and throttle body out as one unit, when I could then have at the bolts any way I see fit. But no. This prick of a bolt stripped, shattered my T30 torx bit, and refused to budge even with a healthy dose of WD40 and some persistent tapping with a screwdriver and hammer. It's like it's welded in there, the bastard. So tomorrow night I'm going to have to tear it all down again, and drill that bitch out. I'll be replacing all the torx bolts on the throttle body with hex heads after this, because this is just a woeful oversight in design! I've got new intake manifold gaskets, a throttle body gasket and fuel injectors to go in, and I want this done by Wednesday as it's going in then to get new mufflers and cats installed, and I want the intake to behave properly by then. Holy moly /vent /rage
I'm glad my car doesn't have any torx. use a oxyacetylene torch and heat that bitch up
Fack, the guy I had weld up my rad mount welded it to my fucking crossframe. Tomorrow I've gotta get the grinder after it to try and lean my rad past my downpipe since I ordered too thick of a radiator. I could also go to LKQ and snag a rad from a Civic... But I don't have a ride. Maybe Jap will see this and offer me one. :P Aside from that, I need to go pick up a couple of clamps, a tube of high temp RTV for my oil return, and a gallon of oil + filter.
[QUOTE=bradley;37516598]Fack, the guy I had weld up my rad mount welded it to my fucking crossframe. Tomorrow I've gotta get the grinder after it to try and lean my rad past my downpipe since I ordered too thick of a radiator. I could also go to LKQ and snag a rad from a Civic... But I don't have a ride. Maybe Jap will see this and offer me one. :P Aside from that, I need to go pick up a couple of clamps, a tube of high temp RTV for my oil return, and a gallon of oil + filter.[/QUOTE] I rated you "tool icon" because you need to grind some shits. hope it make you feel better brah
Spent nearly 2 hours fighting to get the stupid console out of the way to repair 1 stinking wire on my shift-interlock.... [img]http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-2OVgquRGbJE/T8eafj6DmpI/AAAAAAAALps/eNc3ufqsCXA/s1600/DSC07000.JPG[/img] [img]http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee46/MaImpala/Shifta.jpg[/img] Which took all of 4 minutes to repair once the console was out.
I changed the spark plugs, fuel filter, and Air filter on a 2003 Ford Escape, from New York. Why do the spark plugs have to be hidden under the intake manifold? Why? Oh, and I snapped a rusty bolt on one of the Coil packs. Second turn of my wrench, and it popped. :v: So much rust, It's got more rust than my 88 Pickup, and my 85 Supra combined. D:
Day before yesterday I replaced the steering box on my dads "new" 2001 Dodge ram van, after FINNALY getting the damn thing off to which I had to practically pull the whole front of the van off, I threw that fucker in the vice and took a 5lb sledge to the pitman arm. Fuck pitman arm pullers and fuck 90 dollar tool rental/tools. Then today I helped my towtruck bud work on his dads 2000 Honda 1000vt Shadow. Had to pull the carbs and clean those gummed up fuckers, so much bad gas gummed in there the float valve and all the jets were clogged and stuck so naturally it wouldn't start-to-run, only with some starter fluid. Then after numerous adjustments to the carbs and cables, I was nearly defeated by a FUCKING KICKSTAND SAFETY SWITCH. Me ~= Retarded/Absent minded.
[QUOTE=ThermalArc;37516636]I rated you "tool icon" because you need to grind some shits. hope it make you feel better brah[/QUOTE] Thanks brah <3 I might just go back to N/A since I don't really have the tools to finish the turbo install, half of my shit is still at my old shop. Going to fuck with the rad for a few minutes today and if it doesn't work properly I'm going to just yank off my boostjunk.
I de-greased my engine yesterday and it turns out that the oil pan and the intake manifold were once blue
Guiz. Guiz. My engine, ITS OUT. [T]http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/426715_468434596521901_975623175_n.jpg[/T]
Had a look at my cabin air filter today, was a little tricky to get to as it was behind the engine under the windscreen. As I expected, it was covered in leafs and dirt, and it was also installed back to front. Where do you guys usually get these kind of parts?
What did I do today. hmmm. I opened my garage door in my shop. Pulled up a chair. And stared at it. Mindlessly staring at it. So in the end I got noting done.
Sorry, you need to Log In to post a reply to this thread.