• The Super Friendly Social and Love Advice Thread v3 - February
    10,002 replies, posted
Isn't stereotyping and assuming stuff on people on the basis of their beliefs ignorant?
[QUOTE=MakoSkyDub;35888991]I wouldn't even be friends with someone who was religious That shit is just ignorant[/QUOTE] I've gotten into a few unwanted arguments with religious friends. Needless to say we aren't that close anymore. It's just gonna blow up eventually. [editline]9th May 2012[/editline] [QUOTE=Seith;35889013]Isn't stereotyping and assuming stuff on people on the basis of their beliefs is ignorant?[/QUOTE] There is a correlation between if someone is religious and how they behave socially. In my experience knowing if someone's religious is usually a good basis to know how they'll interact with you.
[QUOTE=Protocol7;35889015]I've gotten into a few unwanted arguments with religious friends. Needless to say we aren't that close anymore. It's just gonna blow up eventually.[/QUOTE] Blow up eventually? You're saying it's invetiable? [editline]9th May 2012[/editline] [QUOTE=Protocol7;35889015]I've gotten into a few unwanted arguments with religious friends. Needless to say we aren't that close anymore. It's just gonna blow up eventually. [editline]9th May 2012[/editline] There is a correlation between if someone is religious and how they behave socially. In my experience knowing if someone's religious is usually a good basis to know how they'll interact with you.[/QUOTE] Again, that's assuming. You two, the religious guy and you, choose to argue about what was taught to you as children, it's absurd. I have a religious friend, we are worlds apart in beliefs (I am an atheist) and yet we never argue about these kind of things.
Well if you don't argue then it's going to be awkward as hell when he mentions anything religious.
[QUOTE=Seith;35889013]Isn't stereotyping and assuming stuff on people on the basis of their beliefs ignorant?[/QUOTE] There's no assumption if all I'm going off is that someone has convinced themselves of creationism theory or some similar bullshit Almost certainly they have other traits, but if one of them is ignorance that is enough for me to not respect them
[QUOTE=MakoSkyDub;35889118]There's no assumption if all I'm going off is that someone has convinced themselves of creationism theory or some similar bullshit Almost certainly they have other traits, but if one of them is ignorance that is enough for me to not respect them[/QUOTE] Yeah. You can't say "but that's assuming" because they either accept creationism or they don't, then it gets into "are they really religious or are they just saying it for whatever reason" and, more often than not, it boils down to "individual who I can't respect."
I do not see a problem when you date someone who is more religious than you, it is rather interesting and a change. But if they force you to believe it and become religious to, it gets out of hand.
Religion's just volatile. I tend to not interact with it.
[QUOTE=Protocol7;35889088]Well if you don't argue then it's going to be awkward as hell when he mentions anything religious.[/QUOTE] What? It sounds as if you are just looking for reasons to argue with him. He never pushes his beliefs on me. And even if he did, I wouldn't be bothered by it, I have no need to prove what I believe in.
[QUOTE=CheeserCrice;35888602]less weird than being a moderator of an obscure internet forum.[/QUOTE] be careful, Rusty, you've made the christians angry
[QUOTE=junker|154;35889140]I do not see a problem when you date someone who is more religious than you, it is rather interesting and a change. But if they force you to believe it and become religious to, it gets out of hand.[/QUOTE] Hah yes, I can see it now "Hey, look at that bird! God put that there!" >"haha, you crazy bitch, this sure is a novelty" *The next day* "Hey, look at that bir-" >"THIS ISN'T GOING TO WORK"
[QUOTE=zerotwelve;35889241]be careful, Rusty, you've made the christians angry[/QUOTE] good maybe theyll start a war and wipe eachother out
[QUOTE=MakoSkyDub;35889250]Hah yes, I can see it now "Hey, look at that bird! God put that there!" >"haha, you crazy bitch, this sure is a novelty" *The next day* "Hey, look at that bir-" >"THIS ISN'T GOING TO WORK"[/QUOTE] Well, I had a different religion in mind, for instance Buddhism. But I get your point, I live in Tyrol and generally the people here are a lot more relgious than where I used to live. People even stare at you when you kiss in public. My girlfriend comes from a pretty relgious family, but they treat you no different and do not shove their beliefs down your throat or anything. I am fine with that.
[QUOTE=MakoSkyDub;35888991]I wouldn't even be friends with someone who was religious That shit is just ignorant[/QUOTE] wow [editline]9th May 2012[/editline] i dunno what religious people are like where you guys live but i went to secondary school with a few people who were pretty staunch protestants and i grew up with those guys and girls for 7 years and i never knew they were religious; they went out and got drunk and had fun just like most other people i knew i have a very close friend who is a pretty staunch prod but you'd never know. he has never brought up his beliefs or talked to me about religion. actually, i'm not even sure how i found how he's religious in the first place. the only time it ever seems to be mentioned is when people light-heartedly take the piss out of him for it (wait. what's that? it's the atheists who are always being mildly confrontational about someone's beliefs... but not the religious guy? yep that's always what i've seen in my life other than on internet forums) my grandad goes to church every sunday, sometimes other days of the week. tbh i think it's just a social thing for him because he'd be bored and barely talk to anyone else if he didn't (he gets out of the house very little; he's 86 i think and his legs are bad). if i tell people my grandad is catholic they assume he's a conservative nutjob but he's actually one of the most liberal people i know; he really doesn't read much more into christianity than believing that he should be a fundamentally good person by being nice to others and accepting the beliefs of others. i don't have to keep my relationships or my sex before marriage or my gay friends or anything like that a secret from him. he's the most catholic but also one of the most liberal people i know
[QUOTE=Rusty100;35888946]yeah. the difference is a passive cult, or an aggressive cult. [editline]10th May 2012[/editline] they still get together and mindlessly worship an omnipotent being and eat crackers but we dont have to get into that [editline]10th May 2012[/editline] seriously, what the fuck? girl you got some problems why is every one of your exes abusive the common denominator is you. you probably hate yourself and are subconsciously attracted to men who mistreat you or something. because it's not possible to just be that unlucky.[/QUOTE] wow. thanks a lot. [editline]9th May 2012[/editline] I'm actually very nice IRL and try to make everyone happy, but I guess I hate myself so much that I let people walk all over me. You've got me so figured out!
[QUOTE=HookerVomit;35889840]wow. thanks a lot. [editline]9th May 2012[/editline] I'm actually very nice IRL and try to make everyone happy, but I guess I hate myself so much that I let people walk all over me. You've got me so figured out![/QUOTE] i dunno it seems like he hit a nerve I mean he's right, with your track record of abusive exes, there's one thing that was present in every one of your relationships, and that's you whatever the problem is, if one exists, it's subconscious, that's why it's not immediately obvious
[QUOTE=Rusty100;35888946]seriously, what the fuck? girl you got some problems why is every one of your exes abusive the common denominator is you. you probably hate yourself and are subconsciously attracted to men who mistreat you or something. because it's not possible to just be that unlucky.[/QUOTE] i'd say 2 abusive partners could easily be bad luck?? or are there more i dunno the whole story
[QUOTE=ChestyMcGee;35889936]i'd say 2 abusive partners could easily be bad luck?? or are there more i dunno the whole story[/QUOTE] I've only had two guys to do that to me. [editline]9th May 2012[/editline] [QUOTE=Protocol7;35889935]i dunno it seems like he hit a nerve I mean he's right, with your track record of abusive exes, there's one thing that was present in every one of your relationships, and that's you whatever the problem is, if one exists, it's subconscious, that's why it's not immediately obvious[/QUOTE] [img]http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m3grm0tBUO1rsscuxo3_250.gif[/img]
i'm just saying it's a possibility and you shouldn't rule it out so quickly
[QUOTE=Protocol7;35890074]i'm just saying it's a possibility and you shouldn't rule it out so quickly[/QUOTE] I do love getting abused. When I'm in the heat of the moment of casual sex and his angry cock is staring at me, I love when the guy chokes me and slams me hard into a wall and slaps my ass so hard that I bleed. Oh, and when he calls me a filthy whore and smushes my face head first into the floor and rams his dick in me. Bruising the fuck out of my skin, I love it.
I'm having a speech this friday and I'm so nervous. As a bonus, it keeps me from finishing it. :(
I had once a speech infront of like 700 people, with spotlights in my face, everyone was looking at me. I had to present a social project that a few classmates and I did. It was so fucking nervous, believe me. I had to know my speech by heart and it was like 10 minutes or so. But when I stood there, the spotlights were so bright that I could not even notice the crowd, I spoke in the mic and everything went fine. Just do not try to rush the words out. Be calm and such, yes easy to say but there is not much that you can change.
[QUOTE=HookerVomit;35890124]I do love getting abused. When I'm in the heat of the moment of casual sex and his angry cock is staring at me, I love when the guy chokes me and slams me hard into a wall and slaps my ass so hard that I bleed. Oh, and when he calls me a filthy whore and smushes my face head first into the floor and rams his dick in me. Bruising the fuck out of my skin, I love it.[/QUOTE] something tells me you don't understand the words "subconscious" or "possibility"
[QUOTE=Protocol7;35890195]something tells me you don't understand the words "subconscious" or "possibility"[/QUOTE] I do. I'm just ignoring you.
A better argument would be that it is insane to even bother drawing such conclusions on incomplete anecdotal evidence. It is just as insane as claiming you know EXACTLY why breivik did what he did because you read a tabloid article. Anyway I need some advice on how to stop being a hermit. To sum up my life story quite quickly I have not had acquaintances in my town in 4 years I know absolutely nobody. While I have a couple of friends at school it is 40KM away and to be frank we don't have much in common. It probably doesn't help that I don't have anyway to be contacted really as I pretty much only have my email account. My only two hobbies are video games and weightlifting but I am losing interest in both of them and aren't really useful for getting to know anybody. So how should I go about changing this?
To say religious people are generally different to non religious people is ignorant, my friendship group consists of mostly non-religious people, but we have a fair few Christians, Buddists, Sikh and Pagans and we all get on well, generally ignoring each others personal beliefs. I'm non religious myself, but it helps in life generally to respect peoples beliefs.
I seriously struggle to see how you guys can tolerate anything, not having religious friends? Bit unfair don't you think?
we had a formal debate about religion vs. cults in my psychology class cults are interesting
[QUOTE=Murky42;35890776]A better argument would be that it is insane to even bother drawing such conclusions on incomplete anecdotal evidence. It is just as insane as claiming you know EXACTLY why breivik did what he did because you read a tabloid article. Anyway I need some advice on how to stop being a hermit. To sum up my life story quite quickly I have not had acquaintances in my town in 4 years I know absolutely nobody. While I have a couple of friends at school it is 40KM away and to be frank we don't have much in common. It probably doesn't help that I don't have anyway to be contacted really as I pretty much only have my email account. My only two hobbies are video games and weightlifting but I am losing interest in both of them and aren't really useful for getting to know anybody. So how should I go about changing this?[/QUOTE] If you're at school, volunteer. Also if you can get a job, that's a good way to get to know some people by seeing them every day.
[QUOTE=Murky42;35890776]A better argument would be that it is insane to even bother drawing such conclusions on incomplete anecdotal evidence. It is just as insane as claiming you know EXACTLY why breivik did what he did because you read a tabloid article. Anyway I need some advice on how to stop being a hermit. To sum up my life story quite quickly I have not had acquaintances in my town in 4 years I know absolutely nobody. While I have a couple of friends at school it is 40KM away and to be frank we don't have much in common. It probably doesn't help that I don't have anyway to be contacted really as I pretty much only have my email account. My only two hobbies are video games and weightlifting but I am losing interest in both of them and aren't really useful for getting to know anybody. So how should I go about changing this?[/QUOTE] Start talking to people in your classes or work even if you think they're assholes/don't have anything in common. People know people and one connection can lead you to an excuse to talk to hundreds of different people, and you can build a friendship group that way.
Sorry, you need to Log In to post a reply to this thread.