• The Super Friendly Social and Love Advice Thread v3 - February
    10,002 replies, posted
[QUOTE=E1025;37474330]A tip I like to remember is if you think you should go over and say something to someone you should do it within a few seconds of having that thought. You can't over-think it or miss the chance. Then you end up doing it automatically without worrying.[/QUOTE] God damn, this is probably the most true thing I've ever read in this thread. The importance of this cannot be overstated.
[QUOTE=D0C H.;37475677]Is it wrong of me to want my girlfriend to take pictures of her last relationship and her off of her facebook? Normally I would think so, but he passed away and it's still a touchy subject. Normally that might add an exception, but he treated her about as bad as you can treat a woman without killing her. I just get filled with so much anger whenever I see his picture and it bothers me that he's still up there. I feel that he doesn't deserve to be recognized as being in her life at all. I know it's not really my place to force anything, I guess, but it doesn't seem right. To see a picture of us in the same album that has pictures of him. I haven't said anything to her about it yet, I thought it might be a good idea to get some anonymous advice here first....... (Some might think that she is having trouble letting go, and maybe, but he was also the father of her children, so that's understandable to an extent. My question is, am I justified in wanting him gone?)[/QUOTE] I can see your angle on this, and I am sympathetic to your feelings on the matter since I have been in a vaguely similar situation. A girl I dated last year had a child by a different ex (who threatened her, attacked her, was arrested and sectioned). It was damn difficult, because no matter how much you want it otherwise he is still the father of those children and as far as I'm concerned they have a right to know that (eventually). That doesnt mean you have to live in his shadow as it were though. Be patient and sympathetic for your lady, even if you cant be understanding. You cant rewrite the past and forcing her to remove the photos will only cause upset. Just be good to her and be satisfied knowing youre doing a better job of looking after her and the children than he ever would.
[QUOTE=E1025;37474330]A tip I like to remember is if you think you should go over and say something to someone you should do it within a few seconds of having that thought. You can't over-think it or miss the chance. Then you end up doing it automatically without worrying.[/QUOTE] But then the funny and conversational part of my brain stops working. How do I think of something to say?
She cant answer my text but always calls me... what. This is weird.
Here's a fucked up situation I could honestly use advice or just plain sympathy on. My best friend is suing my girlfriend. He lent her his car so her band could tour in a neighboring state. They made it halfway before the car broke down. From a layman's perspective, the transmission was fucked to begin with and I actively watched (and cringed at) him making it worse by driving and shifting poorly. Here's where it gets worse. For whatever reason, the car wouldn't start. My girlfriend was stuck in a shitty small town just outside of the city they were going to play in and they made a stupid decision. They somehow managed to hotwire the care. I don't even know how that works or why they thought it would help but they did. This caused another $500-1000 in damages which was obviously their fault and not related to the transmission problem. All the while I was out of the country. I got back and stayed with both of them while searching for an apartment. Then my friend told me he was suing her. It's hurt my relationship with both of them. It sucks.
Holy-moly, that's some junky jazz. How's he planning to sue her, though? I mean, lawyers work off a retainer, and $1000 is pretty small potatoes, in the grander scheme of lawyerosity. Unless he's going for a big bite, even winning the case would end up with your friend deep in the hole for lawyer fees. Either way, the proper thing to do would be for your girlfriend to just pay for the extra damages she caused. If they were her fault, then why wouldn't she? I can get not paying for the transmission, that's just an unfortunate mishap type of thing, but she made the conscious decision to damage the vehicle, so the right course of action seems pretty clear-cut! [editline]31st August 2012[/editline] [QUOTE=areolop;37478548]She cant answer my text but always calls me... what. This is weird.[/QUOTE] Probably hates texting! I kinda do, too! Texting feels so dang forced, and it's so easy to mistake one message for another without the nonverbal cues to accompany. For instance, I kinda fucked myself over a while back when a lady mistook something I meant in a text! She asked me why I had asked her out, on account of us having never really talked before, and I said, "You just seemed like a good person! Wanted to get to get to know you better." I meant it as, "You seem like a quality lady," but she took it as, "It was just a whim." I always prefer talking on the phone to texting because of dumb stuff like that!
But the thing is with me, I would rather get a text message if its non-emergency. I prefer phone calls if you are in trouble, need a sober-cab, or something just happened and you dont know what to do next. I still smile though whenever I get a phone call from her.. mostly because its unexpected. Such as last time she called... I was knee deep in grease tearing apart my front end of my truck. Still put a smile on my face though.
I prefer texts if it's something like, "did I leave my fritos in your car?" or "what time are we meeting for the [I]Even Stevens[/I] marathon?" But for talkin'? Just call me. It's better anyway, because if I have the freedom of a blank screen, you're gonna be getting ten page essay texts from me. I need verbal, so they can tell me to shut it when my hamster-brain gets stuck in its wheel.
i prefer text because i think phones are super-awkward for me, i can't gauge people's facial expressions and that scares me for some reason.
[QUOTE=Big Dumb American;37478664]I prefer texts if it's something like, "did I leave my fritos in your car?" or "what time are we meeting for the [I]Even Stevens[/I] marathon?" But for talkin'? Just call me. It's better anyway, because if I have the freedom of a blank screen, you're gonna be getting ten page essay texts from me. I need verbal, so they can tell me to shut it when my hamster-brain gets stuck in its wheel.[/QUOTE] I use my phone for work too so thats why I cant be having phone calls for small things. I would much rather have a text if its non-important but I'm all for the phone if its something I should know about immediately. (and I hate it when people read the text wrong)
[QUOTE=Kommodore;37478573]Here's a fucked up situation I could honestly use advice or just plain sympathy on. My best friend is suing my girlfriend. He lent her his car so her band could tour in a neighboring state. They made it halfway before the car broke down. From a layman's perspective, the transmission was fucked to begin with and I actively watched (and cringed at) him making it worse by driving and shifting poorly. Here's where it gets worse. For whatever reason, the car wouldn't start. My girlfriend was stuck in a shitty small town just outside of the city they were going to play in and they made a stupid decision. They somehow managed to hotwire the care. I don't even know how that works or why they thought it would help but they did. This caused another $500-1000 in damages which was obviously their fault and not related to the transmission problem. All the while I was out of the country. I got back and stayed with both of them while searching for an apartment. Then my friend told me he was suing her. It's hurt my relationship with both of them. It sucks.[/QUOTE] Your friend is retarded. How can you sue someone for something that that, jesus. Tell him how retarded he's being.
[QUOTE=thisispain;37478674]i prefer text because i think phones are super-awkward for me, i can't gauge people's facial expressions and that scares me for some reason.[/QUOTE] I'm exactly like this too, dunno why. so doing webcam chatting is still perfectly fine for me, but when it's just voice it always seems strange.
"I dunno why, I just express emotions with no reason!!"
A girl on facebook keeps poking me. She wants to fuck :v:
act in favor of that future please
[QUOTE=metallics;37478458]I can see your angle on this, and I am sympathetic to your feelings on the matter since I have been in a vaguely similar situation. A girl I dated last year had a child by a different ex (who threatened her, attacked her, was arrested and sectioned). It was damn difficult, because no matter how much you want it otherwise he is still the father of those children and as far as I'm concerned they have a right to know that (eventually). That doesnt mean you have to live in his shadow as it were though. Be patient and sympathetic for your lady, even if you cant be understanding. You cant rewrite the past and forcing her to remove the photos will only cause upset. Just be good to her and be satisfied knowing youre doing a better job of looking after her and the children than he ever would.[/QUOTE] I am...... I'm actually in the process of getting her to open up to me and finally be able to cry to me about it. I'm not expecting her to immediately be over him. I know it will take time to heal, and I'm more than willing to be there for her. I just hate the man after hearing what he did....... I also know I need to wait for her to be ready and bringing it up would do nothing good.... I guess I just wanted vindication on me [I]wanting[/I] the pictures gone...........
[QUOTE=W0w00t;37467703]Jeffersons a p. bad school I go to Brennan tho[/QUOTE] Huh, why do you say that? It's difficult to get a proper feel of a school unless you go to it (reviews are really useless sometimes), and I've never had any experiences with any other schools in San Antonio, so I really can't relate to why you say that.
[QUOTE=thisispain;37478674]i prefer text because i think phones are super-awkward for me, i can't gauge people's facial expressions and that scares me for some reason.[/QUOTE] I think using texts or voice calls for anything remotely important is rubbish with the exception of things you must remember. Then text all the way.
So, got a quick one. There's this girl that I kinda have a bit of a crush on. She's part of my friendship group but when we all hang out, she's not there that much. I don't really know her too well but I want to get to know her. We were both at a friends 18th last night and I tried to talk to her a little bit but some of her friends came over and started to talk to her so all I got to ask was if she recovered from Reading yet (British Festival) Throughout the night we kinda both caught each other looking at each other a few times. later on in the night I was playing snooker with a friend and she was around too. I was about to go for my shot and she decides to take the ball and run off with it. so we had a bit of a joke with that. I have her number and I want to have a chat with her, think I might ask her if she enjoyed last night and see where conversation carries of from there. I just don't know if I should or not, we don't really talk that much and I don't really want to come out like a creep or something. At the same time I don't want to fool myself thinking that something will happen and then it not. I've not had the greatest of luck with relationships. something always goes wrong and I never really get into one so I guess this is why I'm so doubtful. What should I do FP, Go ahead and text her later on and see if it sparks a conversation? or should I take a different approach?
Just do it, text her... Make it interesting.
Also, I'd like to say that I dislike people knowing things to do with this. People talk and I find it can become a bit of a problem. So when out with friends I'll find it hard to "make a move" so to speak, because they'll all pick up on it from how I normally act. [editline]31st August 2012[/editline] automerge :P
[QUOTE=Rusty100;37478794]Your friend is retarded. How can you sue someone for something that that, jesus. Tell him how retarded he's being.[/QUOTE] It's beyond me. I can't say anything to change their minds. I just got back from visiting my family abroad and two of my besties suing each other is the ultimate American homecoming. [QUOTE=Big Dumb American;37478594]Holy-moly, that's some junky jazz. How's he planning to sue her, though? I mean, lawyers work off a retainer, and $1000 is pretty small potatoes, in the grander scheme of lawyerosity. Unless he's going for a big bite, even winning the case would end up with your friend deep in the hole for lawyer fees. Either way, the proper thing to do would be for your girlfriend to just pay for the extra damages she caused. If they were her fault, then why wouldn't she? I can get not paying for the transmission, that's just an unfortunate mishap type of thing, but she made the conscious decision to damage the vehicle, so the right course of action seems pretty clear-cut! [/QUOTE] Both of them have lawyers representing them[I] pro bono[/I]. It's insane. Money may have been at stake to begin with but now it's just an arms race/ship headed for rocks. One of them wants way too much money-- she could never pay it anyway. But she doesn't want to pay anything. This suit will fucking ruin her life for years. The debt, I mean. But my friend isn't any more wealthy than she is. Whatever, there's no simple answer to this. I think just needed to share it with people outside of the circle of bias.
-snip-
[QUOTE=W0w00t;37467330]oohhhhhhhh rip[/QUOTE] He's in San Antonio, it's RIP to begin with regardless of district.
Well, thanks for the encouragement I guess :|
[QUOTE=ScoutKing;37486400]He's in San Antonio, it's RIP to begin with regardless of district.[/QUOTE] i highly disagree jeffersons way closer to downtown, more ghetto and shit
Very nice and cute girl now sits next during chemistry, how do I initiate interesting conversation?
[QUOTE=RoastedSagets;37487307]Very nice and cute girl now sits next during chemistry, how do I initiate interesting conversation?[/QUOTE] Gotta do an awesome chem pick up line. "Are you made of copper and tellurium? because you are Cu-Te!" She will want to exchange electrons with you after that one for sure
If I recall correctly there is some good advice on the past page about starting conversation. It's really not that hard. Or you could just utter chem pick up lines, victory is assured.
[QUOTE=RoastedSagets;37487307]Very nice and cute girl now sits next during chemistry, how do I initiate interesting conversation?[/QUOTE] As long as you don't act like the guy in your avatar you'll be fine.
Sorry, you need to Log In to post a reply to this thread.