• Automotive Addicts Lounge V6 - Follow The Leader
    5,004 replies, posted
[QUOTE=Aetna;52621968]The stock chrome that comes on e36/46 kidney grilles drives me insane since it always gives the optical illusion that one is larger than the other. Always end up painting them black.[/QUOTE] Holy shit I always just thought I was going crazy but now I know why they look different!
I love chrome but I've always thought the same on those grilles. It looks great on the showroom floor, not so much outside.
Gonna paint them black!
[QUOTE=Strontboer;52622055]Gonna paint them black![/QUOTE] I just dipped mine and called it a day. DDM Tuning used to sell black pairs for $30 which was nice, along with e36 M3 kits.
Dashcams are pretty neat. Action happens at 1:15. This happened on the way to my friends house. [video]https://youtu.be/KgY8aTE7V_U[/video] I like how the guy in the corvette stingray misses disaster by a few seconds and eventually comes back.
[QUOTE=ToastedBread;52623299]Dashcams are pretty neat. Action happens at 1:15. This happened on the way to my friends house. [video]https://youtu.be/KgY8aTE7V_U[/video] I like how the guy in the corvette stingray misses disaster by a few seconds and eventually comes back.[/QUOTE] god. fucking retarded on both sides. you never turn left across incoming traffic unless you are 100% sure there is either a gap or that they are coming to a stop at the light and the incoming traffic should have been coming to a stop at that light, not trying to cut it close like that. public roads are a fucking war zone. it is absolutely cancerous and something needs to be done about it.
some grade A stupid drivers out there used to being babied by their fancy cars, not knowing what to do when something happens
I, too, recently recorded a crash on my dashcam. Not as dramatic as ToastedBread's, though! [video=youtube;6ZEEQ1YVmLU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZEEQ1YVmLU[/video]
Last week there was some really heavy rain and I noticed my headliner was a bit damp in one spot when I went out for lunch during the storm. The car is just over a year old, so wtf. I brought it to VW and they said there was a TSB out for it and mine had the same symptoms, which was "Stress cracks in the sunroof frame". According to the tech, they had a customer who also had a Mk7 Golf with a similar problem that came back three times with the same issue and eventually traded the car in for a Tiguan. The dealer shipped back the busted part and later issued the TSB with a part / kit for an updated frame. I didn't want a sunroof since I live in Northern Ontario and most of the year isn't exactly sunroof friendly anyway, but I ended up with one since they had a car on the lot with all the options I wanted, in the color I wanted with the only extra thing being the sunroof... It's fixed now and it didn't cost anything, but fuck sunroofs.
I've owned one car with a sunroof, and in heavy rain it would leak and pool in the frame, and when I turned to the right, it would all pour down on me.
[QUOTE=Ridge;52623911]I've owned one car with a sunroof, and in heavy rain it would leak and pool in the frame, and when I turned to the right, it would all pour down on me.[/QUOTE] Why didn't you clean your sunroof drains?
[QUOTE=Slithers;52624026]Why didn't you clean your sunroof drains?[/QUOTE] Didn't have anything like that. 1989 Pontiac Sunbird
[video=youtube;k8Aa0uzSIBQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8Aa0uzSIBQ[/video]
someone fucking kill me brough 2 bags full of color samples, spent an hour comparing them against the paint on my chassis. Picked a color that was seemingly 100% identical. Sprayed some parts..... yep, fuck me
[QUOTE=Strontboer;52626386]someone fucking kill me brough 2 bags full of color samples, spent an hour comparing them against the paint on my chassis. Picked a color that was seemingly 100% identical. Sprayed some parts..... yep, fuck me[/QUOTE] Auto paint matching is the biggest bitch. But isn't your chassis white?
[QUOTE=Aetna;52626553]Auto paint matching is the biggest bitch. But isn't your chassis white?[/QUOTE] Yeah it's like SUPPOSED to be Alpine White 3 from a E30 M3. But I guess the first company fucked up and didn't specifically make that color. Since I went to 3 other company's (including them) and asked for the exact same color. But they were all different from the first color. So yeah fuck
[QUOTE=Ridge;52623911]I've owned one car with a sunroof, and in heavy rain it would leak and pool in the frame, and when I turned to the right, it would all pour down on me.[/QUOTE] When I had my Saab the cabin would leak under the passenger side dashboard. I could only park it in my driveway backwards, so that the front of the car was downhill and couldn't leak and flood my carpet. The best part is, the amp in the car was (stock) under the passenger seat :v:
managed to borrow a go pro for one session from my HPDE this past weekend. hopefully i'll get the photo set from the photographer soon and I can share some of those too [media]https://youtu.be/fsADnUznlss[/media]
Haha, I requested vacation for Wednesday and Thursday because I couldn't get my birthday off yesterday and my boss gave me today and tomorrow off instead. Showed up for work, saw my name on the vacation calendar and wasn't on the crew sheet so I turned right around and walked out the door. [editline]29th August 2017[/editline] I think it's beer'o'clock
[QUOTE=Strontboer;52626644]Yeah it's like SUPPOSED to be Alpine White 3 from a E30 M3. But I guess the first company fucked up and didn't specifically make that color. Since I went to 3 other company's (including them) and asked for the exact same color. But they were all different from the first color. So yeah fuck[/QUOTE] I don't know how car painting really works, but when we'd either spray houses or do large rooms, we'd order all the paint at once and then mix them all together for a consistent color. It's not going to be perfect, but it's the best way. Even paint mixed in the same batch is never exactly alike.
Car colors are supposed to be standardized, but cheap and/or lazy places still mess it up
Yeah.... oh well everything paint related has been fucked on this project from the start. Kinda getting used to it. Gonna go at it tomorrow again. Gonna finish the damn car next week. It's been too long since I've been behind the wheel and I need my fix.
[QUOTE=Zombii;52627289]managed to borrow a go pro for one session from my HPDE this past weekend. hopefully i'll get the photo set from the photographer soon and I can share some of those too [media]https://youtu.be/fsADnUznlss[/media][/QUOTE] I almost started thinking that was VIR. But I believe it's not. What track was that again? Seemed fairly simple as a track, but lots of good corners to teach a person how to take kerbs. I also really liked that downhill section, looked like some dramatic elevation change.
[QUOTE=Strontboer;52626386]someone fucking kill me brough 2 bags full of color samples, spent an hour comparing them against the paint on my chassis. Picked a color that was seemingly 100% identical. Sprayed some parts..... yep, fuck me[/QUOTE] Around here we have paint shops (including basic auto parts stores) that can mix based on a fancy camera. You set it on a clean panel and it makes a mix based on that. Any chance you can find something like that around your area?
[QUOTE=cNova;52625311][video=youtube;k8Aa0uzSIBQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8Aa0uzSIBQ[/video][/QUOTE] There are so many R32s around here now, maybe 3 or 4 at the late night street racer meets, I can't see them as special, rare cars anymore. I still admire them, but more like a Mk4 Supra.
[QUOTE=NO ONE;52628028]I almost started thinking that was VIR. But I believe it's not. What track was that again? Seemed fairly simple as a track, but lots of good corners to teach a person how to take kerbs. I also really liked that downhill section, looked like some dramatic elevation change.[/QUOTE] it's NCM motorsports park in KY. facepunch track day when?
[t]http://i.imgur.com/JidPdXG.png[/t] oops I tripped and bought it dang. it's really too bad.
[t]https://puu.sh/xn14i/9ae8299ca5.JPG[/t] I don't know what this is, or how it happened, but i'm pretty sure it ate through the clear coat and possibly the top layers of paint This is one of two cars ever sold in this color, and i'm pretty sure the other one doesn't exist any more. And the color's got 30 years of aging on it, so color matching will be basically as hard as it can possibly be. Fucking kill me.
Didn't that jag dealership detail it recently?
No that's happening on october. Which means i may have to have the hood repainted before then. Because i have no idea how to do this on my own, let alone have all the kit. Although i do have a friend who's a professional panel beater for multi milllion dollar car restorations, might run it by him and see what he thinks. If anyone would know what to do it'll be him.
Sorry, you need to Log In to post a reply to this thread.