• Star Trek (no not 2009 movie)
    1,001 replies, posted
alright chumps time to get learned about star trek. Look beyond the nerd conventions, My thoughts, to your thoughts. Basically this thread is dedicated to the star trek television series, including all the other versions (such as TNG) [b]Star trek: The original series[/b] [img]http://rimworlds.com/theclassicsciencefictionchannel/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/startrekoriginalseries.jpg[/img] Created by Gene Roddenberry. This was the first star trek ever released, it was extraordinary when it was released. you can easily tell this was made in the 1960's (1966 to be exact), from the sounds not matching any of the effects to the 3 foot star ship model held on fishing line, you can see that any sort of special effect was in it's infancy, and that any and all cgi simply didn't exist. [b]Star trek: The Next Generation[/b] [img]http://screencrave.frsucrave.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/next_generation_crew04.jpg[/img] This was the second incarnation to be released, and personally, I think of it as the best. Just like the first one, it was created by gene roddenberry, Who sadly passed away during this series in 1991 (4 years after it first aired in 1987). This series had it's fair share of connections to the original series. Towards the end of the third season the show's whole theme somewhat shifted a little. Prior to the third season finale the show was quite episodic, where plot lines didn't really transfer over, however after the showing of the season 3 finale the show shifted to a more streamlined plot and included a lot more drama. [b]Star trek: Deep Space Nine[/b] [img]http://images.starpulse.com/Photos/Previews/Star-Trek-Deep-Space-Nine-p01.jpg[/img] This was the third incarnation of star trek, first debuting in 1993 (during star trek: The next generation), and consequently had many crossovers, such as the characters from The next generation meeting up with characters in Deep space nine. It was the first to not be created by gene roddenberry, but instead created by Rick berman and michael piller. This series wasn't based on a star ship, but instead based on a starbase. Unline star trek: The original series, and Star trek: the next generation, Deep space nine had long story arcs over multiple episodes, and very complex character development, such as characters having more inter-personal conflicts, something that gene roddenberry forbid. [b]Star Trek: Voyager [/b] [img]http://images.dvdcollectionsale.com/domain/B153360E/images/upload/Image/star-trek-voyager1_complete_seasons_boxset_1(1).jpg[/img] This was the fourth incarnation of star trek, first debuting in 1995 (during the airing of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine) It was created by Rick Berman, Michael Piller, and Jeri Taylor. It was the first Star Trek series to feature a Female Captain as well. This series has more of a familial crew, and has much more engaging action sequences and light humor. The whole series has one big plotline, but each episode tends to have it's own little story with parts that carry over in to the next episode. This is based on the Voyager starship Trying to find an enemy vessel, when suddenly both voyager and the enemy vessel are forced in to the delta quadrant over 70,000 lightyears away, by a powerful being named the caretaker. During the transit many of the crew died, and now the enemy vessel and Voyager have to work together on a 70,000 lightyear trek back home, which would take approximately 70 years. [b]Star Trek: Enterprise [/b] [img]http://www.grouchoreviews.com/content/films/2413/1.jpg[/img] This series first debuted in 2001, and was created by Rick Berman and Brannon Braga. Enterprise is a prequel to Star Trek: The Original Series. Enterprise ran only 4 seasons before it's cancellation in 2005. Sorry I can't provide more information as I do not want to watch this series. GB calls it a shit stain on the star trek franchise, but I'm sure it has some hidden gems in it. Timeline wise - Star Trek: Enterprise - 2151 - 2155 Star Trek: The original Series - 2265 - 2269 Star Trek: The Next Generation - 2364 - 2370 Star Trek: Deep Space Nine - 2369 - 2375 Star Trek: Voyager - 2371 - 2378 I personally recommend to everyone watch Star Trek: The Next Generation and Star Trek: Voyager. Both are AMAZING. Star Trek Voyager is VERY close to star trek: The Next Generation in my books, season 4 blew me away at how good it was as a whole, and almost made me reconsider my top spot. So, what do you all think of star trek?
why no 2009 movie? it was a great movie
[QUOTE=bepassley;25430647]why no 2009 movie? it was a great movie[/QUOTE] cuz the 2009 movie has some other thread or somethin, idk. that being said the 2009 movie was probably the best star trek movie ever made. also it was on a different timeline
woot star trek .. `take us to warp 10`
the original Star Trek was pretty decent but overrated as fuck I'm so tired of people liking old things just because they're old
[QUOTE=Nathax;25430686]woot star trek .. `take us to warp 10`[/QUOTE] nathaz ur so banned [editline]15th October 2010[/editline] [QUOTE=cccritical;25430695]the original Star Trek was pretty decent but overrated as fuck I'm so tired of people liking old things just because they're old[/QUOTE] agreed. It really hasn't held up to time.
Next Generation is best generation. DS9 and Voyager are pretty good but TNG will always be my favourite. The original is alright if you can just ignore how stupid it actually is (in a good way). Some of the fight scenes are ridiculously bad even for the time which makes it more enjoyable to watch.
I love DS9, been watching it a lot lately since my uncle(who is a massive Trekkie) recently bought every Star Trek series on DVD after having them on VHS for so long. He let me borrow DS9 since he was cramming through TOS. I'm in the middle of season 2 and I'm really digging it, feels somewhat similar to Babylon 5 but not quite. Before DS9 my only Star Trek experiences were through all of the movies and occasionally catching Voyager(recently bought the first season on DVD but I'm going to finish DS9 first) at 1 or 4 or in the morning. Oh yeah and I watched most of Enterprise but the extremely hammy acting and boring characters(except for Archer) put me off from ever finishing it even though the Temporal Cold War seemed like a cool idea. Of the movies I saw I loved Undiscovered Country, Wrath of Khan, First Contact, and the 2009 Star Trek. I also got my hands on a few old TOS comics from the 80s at a flea market and I got Elite Force 1 & 2 and Bridge Commander at Gamestop a few years ago. I really love Star Trek even though I've barely even scratched the surface of any of the series.
holy shit, he has all of them on DVD? I really want to get voyager and TNG on dvd but each set is like $400 I also loved first contact, IMO anything dealing with borg is so god damn cool. I watched the entire TNG series in order (season 1 - 7) over the course of probably a year, and I'm on voyager (already at season 5 like 2 months in haha), after I finish voyager I'm moving to DS9 cause I hear good things about it too. [editline]15th October 2010[/editline] I remember watching all of the star trek movies with my dad in one night (not including TNG movies and 2009), we borrowed them from a friend a long time ago, and it was cool, but it was also so long ago that I can't remember much
Yeah, he bought them all brand new. Called me over to check out the collection and I nearly shit myself.
[QUOTE=M2k3;25430979]Next Generation is best generation. DS9 and Voyager are pretty good but TNG will always be my favourite. The original is alright if you can just ignore how stupid it actually is (in a good way). Some of the fight scenes are ridiculously bad even for the time which makes it more enjoyable to watch.[/QUOTE] oh god some of the fight scenes in ToS are so bad, I honestly would find myself laughing at ToS more than actually taking it seriously.
TNG is great, I think Voyager did awesome in bringing out the best of what TNG had done. DS9 charater and drama does great, though I never really got deep into it [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIjOifRG-u8[/media] The doctor owns, so does 7 of 9.
There seems to be universal hate for Voyager amongst the hardcore Trekkies though, I never understood why. It's a very fun show from what I've seen.
[QUOTE=Craptasket;25431596]TNG is great, I think Voyager did awesome in bringing out the best of what TNG had done. DS9 charater and drama does great, though I never really got deep into it [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIjOifRG-u8[/media] The doctor owns, so does 7 of 9.[/QUOTE] The best thing to ever grace star trek [editline]15th October 2010[/editline] [QUOTE=The_Marine;25431615]There seems to be universal hate for Voyager amongst the hardcore Trekkies though, I never understood why. It's a very fun show from what I've seen.[/QUOTE] I don't know why, it did what TNG did in terms of the theme behind it (exploration, morals, etc), and didn't butcher anything, and had a great underlying storyline.
I've been watching TNG for 2 months now (the first time I've watched Star Trek) and I love it. The characters are greatly made, they have chemistry with each other and are amusing. Every episode has a good and exciting plot and the way they reference an episode that happened 2 seasons ago is just a nice touch.
I can't believe how old TNG really is, it doesn't even seem like that old of a show, but here's a somewhat recent picture of some of the cast. [img]http://aljaud.com/pics/public/startrek.jpg[/img] dunno who the fatso in the middle is.
The Next Generation is fucking incredible. I dressed up as Data for Halloween last year
[QUOTE=Captain Proton;25432830]I can't believe how old TNG really is, it doesn't even seem like that old of a show, but here's a somewhat recent picture of some of the cast. [img_thumb]http://aljaud.com/pics/public/startrek.jpg[/img_thumb] dunno who the fatso in the middle is.[/QUOTE] thats craptasket
Voyager is my favorite of all the series.
[QUOTE=bepassley;25432975]thats craptasket[/QUOTE] I was going to ironically post that it was me but damn you beat me
[QUOTE=Agent_Wesker;25434925]Voyager is my favorite of all the series.[/QUOTE] It def rivals TNG in terms of quality
Next Generation has always been my favorite. Picard is an awesome character and reminds me a ton of my grandfather.
I remember once having Deep Space Nine once on TV at 2am at night. I decided what the hell, may as well watch it It absolutely sucked, was dissapointed
The Star Trek Universe as a whole is awesome. I am on the 6th season of Deep Space 9, I never really started in the correct order of watching them. But after DS9 I only have TOS left to watch. And I don't see why people hate Star Trek Enterprise, it was a good series maybe not the best compared to the others but it wasn't bad in any way (except finale episode, those that have watched probably understands...). And for those that say it sucks and "I read that people says it sucks" without having even watched it, go have a look for yourself before you judge it. I really like TNG because of the really awesome characters, but I also enjoy DS9 because of it being totally different. Garak is amazing with his sarcastic jokes. And how can you not love Dr.Bashir and Miles O'Brien AKA Chief. Then we have Quark and Odo and their disputes, but deep inside they like each other.
Most people seem to have disliked it because it was too much like a soap opera.
To say it sucks without watching it is fucking stupid at least I have something to base my opinion on The movies were cool, I've seen Nemesis and some one with some crazy space egg which fucks with people's shit
I watched the first season of Enterprise, I didn't really like it but that's because it didn't seem like it really happened before the other series. And Nemesis was awesome. The scene where Data Supermans from the Enterprise to what's his face's ship was the best part of the movie.
Man I can't remember, but I know that I enjoyed it [editline]16th October 2010[/editline] If the original star trek was to be on TV, I'd watch it It was just like some CSI episode that I watched They killed some dude with a fucked up face, and one of the dudes on the ship was blamed for it. Also I think somebody wanted to start a school or something It was just really boring for me, but I haven't 100% made up my mind yet
I'll end up watching enterprise, but I still don't have extremely high hopes for it. But before i watch enterprise im gonna watch ds9 [editline]16th October 2010[/editline] [QUOTE=Onyx3173;25435840]I watched the first season of Enterprise, I didn't really like it but that's because it didn't seem like it really happened before the other series. And Nemesis was awesome. The scene where Data Supermans from the Enterprise to what's his face's ship was the best part of the movie.[/QUOTE] i hated that part, cause that's when I knew [sp]data was going to die[/sp] [editline]16th October 2010[/editline] I for the most part enjoyed nemesis though, it wasn't all that bad.
TOS is very dated but if you give it a chance it grows on you extremely quickly. While the general atmosphere is very cheesy, you have to remember it's a low budget SCI-FI show from the SIXTIES and while it may look like (frankly) crap these days, it set a number of records in special effects at the time. The thing about TOS is that the aesthetic doesn't really matter at all because it's all about brilliant characterization and quality storytelling. Its legacy is what it is because it's so wonderfully and timelessly presented. I challenge anyone to pick five random episodes of TOS and not be somewhat attached to at least one character after watching them. Basically, you have to remember that the show is almost fifty years old and you can learn to look past its smelly, dated outer rind. And of course TNG is awesome one of the greatest shows ever made etc. etc. no need to sing its praises anymore [editline]16th October 2010[/editline] I mean watch this scene from The Original Series and tell me it doesn't charm you at least a little bit [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6408JrvFNWc[/media]
Sorry, you need to Log In to post a reply to this thread.