• Windows 8 Megathread
    4,354 replies, posted
[url]http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/31/windows-8-desktop-interface-kills-aero-for-metro-gets-with-the/[/url] Aaaaa, noooo! It's horrific! [editline]31st October 2011[/editline] Oh good, it's just the basic interface. [editline]31st October 2011[/editline] [IMG]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/b3/Amiga_Workbench_1_0.png[/IMG] Windows 8, welcome to 1985, meet the Commodore Amiga.
[QUOTE=Fatal-Error;33054579][url]http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/31/windows-8-desktop-interface-kills-aero-for-metro-gets-with-the/[/url] Aaaaa, noooo! It's horrific! [editline]31st October 2011[/editline] Oh good, it's just the basic interface. [editline]31st October 2011[/editline] [IMG]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/b3/Amiga_Workbench_1_0.png[/IMG] Windows 8, welcome to 1985, meet the Commodore Amiga.[/QUOTE] That moron who made that thread probably hasn't even used the Dev Preview or even followed Windows 8. Great article for a "tech-enthusiast". [b]HEY GUIZ MS KILLS AERO READ MY POST OLOL[/b]
I know what Metro is, and that is not it. The window controls are mis-aligned. And it's going to look awful displaying conventional non-metro apps. [editline]31st October 2011[/editline] Oh, and I know how bad Engadget are, they are a joke of a tech blog.
[IMG]http://blogs.msdn.com/cfs-filesystemfile.ashx/__key/communityserver-blogs-components-weblogfiles/00-00-01-29-43-metablogapi/3568.Windows_2D00_7_2D00_CPU_2D00_Usage_2D00_History_5F00_3E37E697.png[/IMG] Windows 7 has Metro too, right Engadget?
Thats a bad photoshop.
[QUOTE=Fatal-Error;33054754]Thats a bad photoshop.[/QUOTE] can you tell from the pixels?
[QUOTE=daijitsu;33054792]can you tell from the pixels?[/QUOTE] No, the top part of the window is using the "metro" UI. while the borders on the side retain the same shine effect seen in windows 7 and vista. [editline]31st October 2011[/editline] All while the contents of the window are using the old basic style UI.
[QUOTE=Fatal-Error;33054817]No, the top part of the window is using the "metro" UI. while the borders on the side retain the same shine effect seen in windows 7 and vista. [editline]31st October 2011[/editline] All while the contents of the window are using the old basic style UI.[/QUOTE] Why would Microsoft photoshop that? It's from Windows Server 8.
A mockup perhaps? a bad one.
[QUOTE=Fatal-Error;33055050]A mockup perhaps? a bad one.[/QUOTE] It was like that in older builds. And you can still run taskmgr.exe
[QUOTE=Fatal-Error;33023123]I really think the iPod would have had its ass handed to it by the Zune if it was marketed correctly.[/QUOTE] the zune didn't deserve to win. no gapless playback? no thanks.
How did I miss this thread? Hey guys, Windows 8 representing.
[QUOTE=Lazor;33059297]the zune didn't deserve to win. no gapless playback? no thanks.[/QUOTE] Am I the only one who really doesn't care about that feature?
[QUOTE=gparent;33061465]Am I the only one who really doesn't care about that feature?[/QUOTE] Depends on what kind of music you listen to. Gapped Pink Floyd would be awful.
Wow, Meddle without gapless playback... :suicide:
[QUOTE=Panda X;33061534]Depends on what kind of music you listen to. Gapped Pink Floyd would be awful.[/QUOTE] I remember when my dad introduced me to Pink Floyd. It was [I]beautiful[/I].
[QUOTE=gparent;33061465]Am I the only one who really doesn't care about that feature?[/QUOTE]Its a nice feature, but isn't make or break for me. I still make cassettes of albums I think need gapless, since my car lacks a CD player.
To solve the gapless issue, I used tools created to stitch audio tracks together. I stitched several albums into a single-track album. Worked very nicely.
I hope you already realize how inconvient that is when things like gapless playback already exist..
[QUOTE=Blackizzle;33063337]I hope you already realize how inconvient that is when things like gapless playback already exist..[/QUOTE] Couldn't afford an iPod at the time. The zune was free. Now, I don't know about you, but I've never been one to look a gift horse in the mouth. Especially when it's giving me something I didn't have.
[QUOTE=woolio1;33063821]Couldn't afford an iPod at the time. The zune was free. Now, I don't know about you, but I've never been one to look a gift horse in the mouth. Especially when it's giving me something I didn't have.[/QUOTE] How did you get a free Zune?
[QUOTE=rakkie20;33067434]How did you get a free Zune?[/QUOTE] Christmas.
I would love a Zune HD. They are just so sleek.
Not entirely relevant to 8 but interesting still: [url]http://www.neowin.net/news/what-happened-to-microsofts-courier-tablet[/url]
[QUOTE=Lazor;33059297]the zune didn't deserve to win. no gapless playback? no thanks.[/QUOTE] The Zune / whatever it's called media player on WP7 has gapless playback, so I guess they learnt that lesson
[QUOTE]Allard decided that the Courier was going to use a modified version of Microsoft's Windows operating system. That may have been part of its downfall as the Windows division, lead by Steven Sinofsky, was working on Windows 8 at the same time. Sinofsky and his team had their own vision for a touch screen interface for tablets. Another problem with the Courier is that Allard didn't see the tablet as a replacement for a desktop or notebook PC but rather a complement to those products.[/QUOTE] Great, so we lost quite possibly one of the most amazing conceptual devices ever, one designed specifically as a device that complimented traditional desktop computers, for an Operating System that shoe-horns two very different user case scenarios into one product. Seriously, I would have loved a Courier for jotting notes and sketching designs on the go. It would have been amazing and complimented my workflow unbelievably well. Take my very specific example of web developer/designer. On my way to work on the train, I would have been able to use the Courier to sketch out layouts and brainstorm the parameters for a design. I'd get to the office and then use a desktop and Photoshop to actually create the designs, and once the designs were finalized, Sublime Text to code it. No matter how hard I or Microsoft try, the majority of my work (and anyone who uses computers in their field) will always be done at my desktop, and I certainly don't see that changing. It's a different story for consumers and handheld devices, but the Courier was more of a business device anyway. It just pains me to read that apparently Windows 8 is one of the main reasons for Microsoft canning the Courier; [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFQWc79TYcU"]This looks like an insanely productive device[/url]; [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlpftPSuXe4"]seriously[/url]. [b]It wasn't some newspaper consumption device ala the iPad, and it wasn't trying to replicate functionality best left to a desktop[/b] (Word Processing, Excel, Powerpoint, Photoshop.. None of this is practical to do on the go and is certainly better with a keyboard + mouse), it was genuinely a 'third device' that could have co-existed alongside desktops easily. [editline].[/editline] [i](I realize I've been making a number of disgruntled posts in this thread. I genuinely like Microsoft, I just feel disappointed by some of their baffling decisions :\ )[/i]
snip
Damn no new info yet, c'mon MS :v:
We need the beta, pronto! This Dev Preview is killing me. >_< And downgrading back to Win 7 SP1 would be a bitch-tit and a half. :/
So having previously used only the 7955 build, I've decided to give the dev preview a try and holy shit, I don't think I will be switching from Win 7 anytime soon. It is painful to use it on a desktop,simply because of the lack of a proper start menu and the hideous tablet metro elements popping up everywhere, how are you supposed to use it efficiently? Is there a way to enable the old start menu and get rid of all this tablet bullshit altogether? I want to use the latest and greatest OS, but if Win8 is going to be made with [B]only[/B] tablets in mind then I'll have to pass on it. I will be getting a tablet in the near future, but I want my desktop to act like a desktop, without all the giant ugly buttons everywhere
Sorry, you need to Log In to post a reply to this thread.