• Windows 8 Megathread
    4,354 replies, posted
I don't understand why the start button still has a black background. It looks absolutely disgusting and you'd think they fixed it by now. I don't know who is thinking "Hey, this looks good. Let's leave it this way."
[QUOTE=Jimmy422;34200552]I don't understand why the start button still has a black background. It looks absolutely disgusting and you'd think they fixed it by now. I don't know who is thinking "Hey, this looks good. Let's leave it this way."[/QUOTE] Microsoft in a nutshell.
The beta should reflect what the final product will look like, but things may still change with the RC, so who knows. We might get stuck with that butt-ugly Start button, or it might get Aero. It's too early to tell, I think.
[QUOTE=Jimmy422;34200552]I don't understand why the start button still has a black background. It looks absolutely disgusting and you'd think they fixed it by now. I don't know who is thinking "Hey, this looks good. Let's leave it this way."[/QUOTE] It'll be fixed in Windows 9, like Aero was fixed in 7.
[QUOTE=hexpunK;34207338]It'll be fixed in Windows 9, like Aero was fixed in 7.[/QUOTE] At first it made me laugh, until I realized how true it was. :v:
[QUOTE=Panda X;34196140]Don't get a Windows 8 ARM tablet then.[/QUOTE] I wish there was just ONE tablet that would let me customize it how I want. Whats wrong with letting me buy a tablet and then letting me install android on it, and then if I don't like it, easily re install Windows? Just like on a laptop. [editline]14th January 2012[/editline] [QUOTE=woolio1;34196975]Besides, is there even a Touch-friendly Linux with an ARM port? I can't think of one.[/QUOTE] Uhhh... A.. Android? [editline]14th January 2012[/editline] [QUOTE=Brock Obama;34200352]I for one, would like the full-blown OS available, with all the features a laptop provides. Running Photoshop on a tablet would be heaven. :3 Of course it would need an x64 processor, and 4GB of RAM to be useful.[/QUOTE] But tablets like this already exist. They may not have a good cpu or tons of ram, but they do exist. Problem is no one buys them.
[QUOTE=DeadKiller987;34207731]But tablets like this already exist. They may not have a good cpu or tons of ram, but they do exist. Problem is no one buys them.[/QUOTE] I would, but they never have any to purchase. I've never seen x86 tablets on the market. And by "on the market", I mean in local and chain stores, like BestBuy, Apple, Fred Meyer, Walmart, etc. ARM processors are just not powerful enough to do anything I need them to.
[QUOTE=DeadKiller987;34207731]I wish there was just ONE tablet that would let me customize it how I want. Whats wrong with letting me buy a tablet and then letting me install android on it, and then if I don't like it, easily re install Windows? Just like on a laptop. [editline]14th January 2012[/editline] Uhhh... A.. Android? [editline]14th January 2012[/editline] But tablets like this already exist. They may not have a good cpu or tons of ram, but they do exist. Problem is no one buys them.[/QUOTE] Get an Android tablet or an x86 tablet.
[QUOTE=woolio1;34196975]Besides, is there even a Touch-friendly Linux with an ARM port? I can't think of one.[/QUOTE] Android, HP webOS, Angstrom, Ubuntu
[QUOTE=Panda X;34207917]Get an Android tablet or an x86 tablet.[/QUOTE] I can't find x86 tablets for sale that don't come with gimmicks like a dockable keyboard.
[QUOTE=Brock Obama;34208098]I can't find x86 tablets for sale that don't come with gimmicks like a dockable keyboard.[/QUOTE] Hardly a gimmick, a dockable keyboard actually has a purpose. To dock your device to something better suited for lengthy work rather than using a touch screen to type your essay like a fool.
Or...you could type your essay on a laptop?
What if you don't have a laptop. Or you used your tablet as an all-purpose device saving you money from buying a tablet AND a laptop.
[QUOTE=Panda X;34208999]What if you don't have a laptop. Or you used your tablet as an all-purpose device saving you money from buying a tablet AND a laptop.[/QUOTE] I guess I'd get a laptop first. Actually that is kind of what I did, except instead of a tablet I got a Samsung Galaxy Player. I guess I don't really see tablets as some kind of productivity tool though.
[QUOTE=Zedicus Mann;34209097]I guess I'd get a laptop first. Actually that is kind of what I did, except instead of a tablet I got a Samsung Galaxy Player. I guess I don't really see tablets as some kind of productivity tool though.[/QUOTE] Me either. Tablets are just expensive toys for adults.
[QUOTE=Panda X;34207917]Get an Android tablet[/QUOTE] Most android tablets are still locked. You need to root them to be able to flash other android images to them. And even then installing some other os is hard. [QUOTE=Panda X;34207917]or an x86 tablet.[/QUOTE] Why can't there be a customizable ARM tablet? It's a good architecture, why do companies lock it up so much.
[QUOTE=DeadKiller987;34213778]Most android tablets are still locked. You need to root them to be able to flash other android images to them. And even then installing some other os is hard. Why can't there be a customizable ARM tablet? It's a good architecture, why do companies lock it up so much.[/QUOTE] Care more about profits than anything else.
[QUOTE=Panda X;34213844]Care more about profits than anything else.[/QUOTE] Ironic because devices which get modified sell more.
I hope Windows Backup gets fixed in 8. Apparently, if you lock your computer and you're backing up to an external drive, the backup fails with an "Access Denied" message. However, if you let the computer lock itself, it backs up just fine. Just how does something like this fuck up?
[QUOTE=Forumaster;34216984]I hope Windows Backup gets fixed in 8. Apparently, if you lock your computer and you're backing up to an external drive, the backup fails with an "Access Denied" message. However, if you let the computer lock itself, it backs up just fine. Just how does something like this fuck up?[/QUOTE] I use [b][url=http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=redo]Redo: Backup & Restore[/url][/b] for all my backup needs. Ironically, it's a Linux distro that runs from a bootable USB. :)
[QUOTE=Brock Obama;34217536]I use [b][url=http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=redo]Redo: Backup & Restore[/url][/b] for all my backup needs. Ironically, it's a Linux distro that runs from a bootable USB. :)[/QUOTE] Best way to backup things, since it can modify folders and files you can't normally change during the RTE. Smart.
[QUOTE=hexpunK;34207338]It'll be fixed in Windows 9, like Aero was fixed in 7.[/QUOTE] In my opinion Aero was a lot more consistent in Vista. In 7 there's an occasional blue/green gradient leftover from Vista, along with some really ugly blue/light blue gradients slapped over their old counterparts (I'm looking at YOU, Welcome Center). [IMG]http://i42.tinypic.com/14loe8n.png[/IMG]
Who actually uses the Welcome Center?
[QUOTE=Zedicus Mann;34226906]Who actually uses the Welcome Center?[/QUOTE] Old people? No idea really.
I use it long enough to uncheck the "Show at Startup" box. Well, that and since there's a shortcut to UAC I use that to turn that shit off. UAC annoys the living piss out of me.
[QUOTE=Forumaster;34227222]I use it long enough to uncheck the "Show at Startup" box. Well, that and since there's a shortcut to UAC I use that to turn that shit off. UAC annoys the living piss out of me.[/QUOTE] I thought they turned off the automatic Welcome Center in Windows 7. I've never had it showing at startup.
[QUOTE=Forumaster;34227222]I use it long enough to uncheck the "Show at Startup" box. Well, that and since there's a shortcut to UAC I use that to turn that shit off. UAC annoys the living piss out of me.[/QUOTE] I always clicked on the user picture in the start menu and changed it from there.
Nostalgia nayone? [img]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/39/Welcome_to_Netscape.gif[/img] [img]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/78/Netscape_throbber_2.gif[/img]
[QUOTE=Canary;34214186]Ironic because devices which get modified sell more.[/QUOTE] Microsoft doesn't have a good track record with getting stuff right, right away.
Why do I have a strong feeling that Windows 8 for ARM will flop considering recent news
Sorry, you need to Log In to post a reply to this thread.