• Windows 8 Megathread
    4,354 replies, posted
[QUOTE=Brock Obama;34295095]I rarely use disc media anymore. I prefer to hack DVD ISO images into my U3 drive's CD-Rom emulator. It's like MagicDisc, but hardware emulation instead of software. That way I can have my Windows 7 disc on me always, and since it's in the emulator portion of the drive, it can't be automatically erased.[/QUOTE] Well, this caught my attention. Is this program U3 only or could most anyone get this emu?
[QUOTE=Scientwist;34297133]Well, this caught my attention. Is this program U3 only or could most anyone get this emu?[/QUOTE] It must be a U3 device, mostly only memorex and Sandisk devices.
I removed U3 from by flash drive. I found it to be annoying and awful.
[QUOTE=Panda X;34306862]I removed U3 from by flash drive. I found it to be annoying and awful.[/QUOTE] I'm not talking about that horrible software bundled on the drive, I'm talking about using U3 Customizer to replace their 6MB ISO image on the drive with one of my own. In my case, I have the Windows 7 ISO "mounted" on the U3 partition. It's even bootable. Taken from the Wiki: [release]U3 disk mounting: hardware emulation A U3 flash drive presents itself to the host system as a USB hub with a CD drive and standard USB mass storage device attached. [B]This configuration causes Windows disk management to show two drives:[/B] -A read-only ISO 9660 volume on an emulated CD-ROM drive with an autorun configuration to execute the U3 LaunchPad, and; -A standard flash drive (FAT formatted) that includes a hidden "SYSTEM" folder with installed applications. U3 compliant applications can be (optionally) preloaded by manufacturers.[/release]
[url]http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/372319/microsoft-to-tweak-windows-8-start-screen[/url]
[QUOTE=Tennisball;34308992][url]http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/372319/microsoft-to-tweak-windows-8-start-screen[/url][/QUOTE] Their R&D team has deep enough pockets, why not.
[QUOTE=Tennisball;34308992][url]http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/372319/microsoft-to-tweak-windows-8-start-screen[/url][/QUOTE] Really good news in my opinion. 'nother blog post too [url]http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2012/01/20/engineering-windows-8-for-mobility.aspx[/url]
i read a thing on my phone about the windows store(on the windows dev blog or whatever) and it said it would include approved desktop apps progress
Where was this at because on the dev blog they stated desktop apps wouldn't be supported.
[url]http://blogs.msdn.com/b/windowsstore/archive/2012/01/20/designing-the-windows-store-user-experience.aspx?[/url] [quote]Desktop apps that pass our Desktop App Certification can also have app listing pages. These will be discoverable in the Store via searching and browsing, and will include a link to the app developer’s website so that customers can purchase the app there.[/quote] you aren't really getting it from the app store though so i guess it's pretty useless heh
So do we have any idea when we're going to get the app store yet?
[QUOTE=bluesky;34320209]So do we have any idea when we're going to get the app store yet?[/QUOTE] It will be in the beta, if I remember correctly.
[QUOTE=bluesky;34320209]So do we have any idea when we're going to get the app store yet?[/QUOTE] February.
The Store will be launched with a small selection of pre-chosen apps at the same time that Windows 8 Beta is released to the public in late (Probably quarter 4) of February, 2012. About at the same time, pre-existing users running Windows 8 Developer Preview, such as myself, will have to make the jump from Developer Preview over to Beta, before the Developer Preview expires in the first 2 weeks of March, 2012. If it does expire though, not to worry, it wont lock you out, it will only restart your computer every now and then, which will give you more than enough time to back up your data before doing the migration, and I even think there is a function that will allow you to automatically migrate your files from Developer Preview over to Beta.
So I installed Windows 8. And it seems pretty good. The only issue I'm having is i can't boot back into my Windows 7 partition. I used GRUB before i installed Windows 8. But now Windows 7 has just disappeared from the list. I think I might need to re-add it to the GRUB list. (And no I didn't overwrite Windows 7, I installed it on another hard drive, I think that's what the problem is).
[QUOTE=Mr.Syn;34330694]So I installed Windows 8. And it seems pretty good. The only issue I'm having is i can't boot back into my Windows 7 partition. I used GRUB before i installed Windows 8. But now Windows 7 has just disappeared from the list. I think I might need to re-add it to the GRUB list.[/quote] If you prefer to keep using grub, just edit the 'menu.lst' using linux or windows (If applicable). If you don't care for grub, go and use EasyBCD to rebuild the bootloader and add Windows 7 and Windows 8 as two entries to boot from, selecting the harrddrives that they reside on, respectively.
I'll try it tomorrow, for now I'll get to know Windows 8. I'm already loving it after 20 minutes! :v:
is it true that Windows 8 will be able to emulate xbox 360 games?
[QUOTE=redBadger;34332186]is it true that Windows 8 will be able to emulate xbox 360 games?[/QUOTE] Theres been no official statement from Microsoft... Yet... Though i highly doubt there will be one.
The answer is no.
[QUOTE=Panda X;34332452]The answer is no.[/QUOTE] I think that if you sign in to Live with your Live ID in Windows, you should be entitled to fair play of your purchased (and supported) Xbox games on the PC (as long as there is a PC version supporting Live). Just like if you buy a steam game that supports Windows +Mac, you get to play on both platforms.
[QUOTE=Brock Obama;34338265]I think that if you sign in to Live with your Live ID in Windows, you should be entitled to fair play of your purchased (and supported) Xbox games on the PC (as long as there is a PC version supporting Live). Just like if you buy a steam game that supports Windows +Mac, you get to play on both platforms.[/QUOTE] you have literally no reason to feel entitled to play the PC version of a game just because you bought the 360 version
[QUOTE=Brock Obama;34338265]I think that if you sign in to Live with your Live ID in Windows, you should be entitled to fair play of your purchased (and supported) Xbox games on the PC (as long as there is a PC version supporting Live). Just like if you buy a steam game that supports Windows +Mac, you get to play on both platforms.[/QUOTE] games for windows live could actually gain a huge market share if they did this...
Why would you want that shit gaining market share?
[QUOTE=Forumaster;34347150]Why would you want that shit gaining market share?[/QUOTE] I hate to agree with fanboyism but honestly, I've heard nothing but bad comments from everyone who has tried the service, and I don't know a single game that matters that uses it, so I haven't had to chance to hate it by myself (or be pleasantly surprised)
Grand Theft Auto 4, Batman Arkham City/Asylum.
[QUOTE=Panda X;34348311]Grand Theft Auto 4, Batman Arkham City/Asylum.[/QUOTE] And BioShock and Red Faction Guerilla. I've had nothing but trouble using it.
Dead Rising 2
Fallout 3. [editline]22nd January 2012[/editline] I've honestly never had any trouble using the Games For Windows LIVE service, but I still prefer all my achievements and crap to be in one place. Although if I knew I could get free Xbox 360 versions of DiRT 3, Fable III, Fallout 3, GTA IV, Quantom of Solace, and Section 8: Prejudice...I still wouldn't buy an Xbox :v:
[QUOTE=Forumaster;34349510]And BioShock and Red Faction Guerilla. I've had nothing but trouble using it.[/QUOTE] Odd, because I have zero issues. Just type in your credentials and license key, and your ready to go. On several different computers even.
Sorry, you need to Log In to post a reply to this thread.