• Windows 8 Megathread
    4,354 replies, posted
[QUOTE=Olas;34465773]You should make a thread if you haven't already. I'd like to see your progress.[/QUOTE] As soon as it's finished, by the way, the panel looks and works great, too bad it's recognized as a mouse device instead of a touch device, but I can fix it with Vistamultitouch [img]http://s4.noelshack.com/uploads/images/14272552272033_img_20120130_184849.jpg[/img] (Shitty cell phone picture)
[QUOTE=Sam Za Nemesis;34466163]As soon as it's finished, by the way, the panel looks and works great, too bad it's recognized as a mouse device instead of a touch device, but I can fix it with Vistamultitouch [img]http://s4.noelshack.com/uploads/images/14272552272033_img_20120130_184849.jpg[/img] (Shitty cell phone picture)[/QUOTE] That's resistive as well, isn't it? So you can use a stylus or whatever?
Are you going to solder the USB cable directly onto the motherboard and remove one of the ports on the back?
Yes and Yes
New blog post about file management improvements they did from the feedback: [url]http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2012/01/30/acting-on-file-management-feedback.aspx[/url]
[QUOTE=The Baconator;34467946]New blog post about file management improvements they did from the feedback: [url]http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2012/01/30/acting-on-file-management-feedback.aspx[/url][/QUOTE] This shit's finally fixed! [url]http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-files/windows-explorer-expands-folders-inappropriately/50a81b05-da98-4d55-821d-55ffbbd0e998[/url]
[QUOTE=Panda X;34468376]This shit's finally fixed! [url]http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-files/windows-explorer-expands-folders-inappropriately/50a81b05-da98-4d55-821d-55ffbbd0e998[/url][/QUOTE] Oh god yes, this has been such a hinderance, I'm glad it's finally been addressed. :)
I have a problem. Multitouchvista doesn't work with my touch panel, does anyone know an alternative to "simulate" a native touch device? It kinda sucks to have your touch panel being recognized as a mouse
[QUOTE=Sam Za Nemesis;34470748]I have a problem. Multitouchvista doesn't work with my touch panel, does anyone know an alternative to "simulate" a native touch device? It kinda sucks to have your touch panel being recognized as a mouse[/QUOTE] Perhaps you need to install some multi-touch drivers for the panel? I don't really know, I've never used a multitouch device. :<
It's a resistive single touch screen, however it is damn accurate, What I really need is a way to smoothly scroll through Metro menus by just swiping like a "real" touch device does, It kinda gives me Windows Mobile blues trying to scroll using the scrollbar with a touchscreen device p.s. this on screen keyboard is the best I have seen yet
[QUOTE=Sam Za Nemesis;34470809]It's a resistive single touch screen, however it is damn accurate, What I really need is a way to smoothly scroll through Metro menus by just swiping like a "real" touch device does, It kinda gives me Windows Mobile blues trying to scroll using the scrollbar with a touchscreen device p.s. this on screen keyboard is the best I have seen yet[/QUOTE] Is there any options in the driver that came with the touchscreen? I know that for Promethean boards you have the option to toggle between pen and mouse modes. I don't know if the same goes for that touchscreen. And yes, the on-screen keyboard is amazing. I love it.
Well, I really hate to be [I]that guy[/I], but when are we to expect the Beta? We [I]ar[/I]e in the last days of January, and it's rumored for a February release, but I don't have any details yet. :/
You answered yourself: "February" [editline]31st January 2012[/editline] Do we have a descriptor like early or late?
Late. [editline]30th January 2012[/editline] I'm disappointed that I won't be able to take advantage of the entire touchscreen aspect of W8, but I can't wait for all the smaller improvements I've seen in the Desktop oriented part of W8.
[QUOTE=Jimmy422;34471324]Is there any options in the driver that came with the touchscreen? I know that for Promethean boards you have the option to toggle between pen and mouse modes. I don't know if the same goes for that touchscreen. And yes, the on-screen keyboard is amazing. I love it.[/QUOTE] Nope, it does not, however I believe they may release a future update with proper W8 support, or even Microsoft decides to give swipe support for mouses considering how awkward it is to use a horizontal scrollbar At least Chrome and Opera both have touch swiping extensions [editline]31st January 2012[/editline] [img]http://s4.noelshack.com/uploads/images/16467110704242_dsc01411asdd.jpg[/img]
[QUOTE=Zedicus Mann;34473234]You answered yourself: "February" [editline]31st January 2012[/editline] Do we have a descriptor like early or late?[/QUOTE] I meant I need a release date, like the specific [I]da[/I]y in February, bro.
February Lateth, 2012 Microsoft doesn't give dates on betas/rcs. They just come when they're ready. Only one person at MS has said late February and even then it could still come out before late February or early March.
Confirmed Beta Release Date: Sometime in the future
Looks really clean, hope it will work as well as it looks.
[QUOTE=Nawl;34477912]Looks really clean, hope it will work as well as it looks.[/QUOTE] I just wish Microsoft would allow updates from DP to beta, beta to RC, and RC to RTM. Sucks that we have to reinstall from scratch each time. I love that Linux can do it.
[QUOTE=Nawl;34477912]Looks really clean, hope it will work as well as it looks.[/QUOTE] Its so colourful. Its like using a DOS era setup.exe!
[QUOTE=Brock Obama;34478074]I just wish Microsoft would allow updates from DP to beta, beta to RC, and RC to RTM. Sucks that we have to reinstall from scratch each time. I love that Linux can do it.[/QUOTE] Linux does it because they can get away with their users not expecting support for beta releases, given how their users are typically a bit more technical. They also don't have a sense of entitlement after having bought a product like Windows users do. On the other hand, Microsoft would have to deal with hordes of drooling retards who installed the beta/RC (or got it installed on their computer by techies) and then upgraded instead of installing from scratch, which means they'd have decline to support everything that goes wrong in those unsupported, fucked up installs (and explain angry customers why they do so). It also leads to bad PR for MS because you get still get to hear about those problems even though they may have nothing to do with the OS itself. In the end it's best not to support the beta -> RC -> release upgrade path, and for MS it's best to block it outright. They could let it be unblocked by technical users, but then I bet you'd still have to deal with people who know they shouldn't get support but who will lie to technical support because they think their issue isn't related to the install... As you can see, it's a clusterfuck. I get to deal with it often and you really don't want to support developer builds ever even if it pisses off a minority of techies.
[QUOTE=gparent;34478409]Linux does it because they can get away with their users not expecting support for beta releases, given how their users are typically a bit more technical. They also don't have a sense of entitlement after having bought a product like Windows users do. On the other hand, Microsoft would have to deal with hordes of drooling retards who installed the beta/RC (or got it installed on their computer by techies) and then upgraded instead of installing from scratch, which means they'd have decline to support everything that goes wrong in those unsupported, fucked up installs (and explain angry customers why they do so). It also leads to bad PR for MS because you get still get to hear about those problems even though they may have nothing to do with the OS itself. In the end it's best not to support the beta -> RC -> release upgrade path, and for MS it's best to block it outright. They could let it be unblocked by technical users, but then I bet you'd still have to deal with people who know they shouldn't get support but who will lie to technical support because they think their issue isn't related to the install... As you can see, it's a clusterfuck. I get to deal with it often and you really don't want to support developer builds ever even if it pisses off a minority of techies.[/QUOTE] I can understand that aspect of it, but even if they didn't support RC to RTM, beta to RC would be nice. They don't have to offer customer support on those for shit, since it's not retail/final. I don't expect it, I always turn to the community sites for help, and Google failing that. But you're right, upgrading from any pre-release version to retail/RTM would be a nightmare in customer support.
[QUOTE=The Baconator;34467946]New blog post about file management improvements they did from the feedback: [url]http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2012/01/30/acting-on-file-management-feedback.aspx[/url][/QUOTE] I'm glad to see that MS is also thinking about the desktop and power users
[QUOTE=Brock Obama;34479061]I can understand that aspect of it, but even if they didn't support RC to RTM, beta to RC would be nice. They don't have to offer customer support on those for shit, since it's not retail/final. I don't expect it, I always turn to the community sites for help, and Google failing that. But you're right, upgrading from any pre-release version to retail/RTM would be a nightmare in customer support.[/QUOTE] They'd end up wasting time on making sure it worked properly.
[QUOTE=Panda X;34483207]They'd end up wasting time on making sure it worked properly.[/QUOTE] And no average joe is gonna ever being upgrading from Beta or RC.
I bet this could get annoying: [url]http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ie/archive/2012/01/31/web-sites-and-a-plug-in-free-web.aspx[/url] [editline]31st January 2012[/editline] For those who'll use metro IE10.
This is a step in the right direction for Microsoft. Flash, when coupled with Internet Explorer, can pose a serious risk to the security of the system. It's also a step toward less proprietary codec and backend software, and a more open web. I'm a bit concerned, though. If Apple does the same (And they're planning to), we could very well end up in a world where we have no plug-ins, but everything requires them. What then?
[QUOTE=woolio1;34487173]This is a step in the right direction for Microsoft. Flash, when coupled with Internet Explorer, can pose a serious risk to the security of the system. It's also a step toward less proprietary codec and backend software, and a more open web. I'm a bit concerned, though. If Apple does the same (And they're planning to), we could very well end up in a world where we have no plug-ins, but everything requires them. What then?[/QUOTE] With the current developments in HTML 5, WebM players and the likes, we could easily see a complete drop of Flash use for video content, the HTML 5 players allow for styling of the player, which is like, the only real reason Flash is used, and can support a wide variety of codecs, so compression isn't a problem either. With CSS being fleshed out more in CSS3, we can do away with Flash and images for styling, and with JavaScript becoming more central to development, Flash can fuck right off for menu systems (it should never have been used like that anyway). We could easily have a plugin free web, most of the content we browse on a day to day basis shouldn't have needed a plugin in the first place. It's just web based games and Java applications that would suffer from this mostly.
[QUOTE=hexpunK;34487284]With the current developments in HTML 5, WebM players and the likes, we could easily see a complete drop of Flash use for video content, the HTML 5 players allow for styling of the player, which is like, the only real reason Flash is used, and can support a wide variety of codecs, so compression isn't a problem either. With CSS being fleshed out more in CSS3, we can do away with Flash and images for styling, and with JavaScript becoming more central to development, Flash can fuck right off for menu systems (it should never have been used like that anyway). We could easily have a plugin free web, most of the content we browse on a day to day basis shouldn't have needed a plugin in the first place. It's just web based games and Java applications that would suffer from this mostly.[/QUOTE] So it'll kill off all the crappy free web-based MMOs? I'm strangely okay with this.
Sorry, you need to Log In to post a reply to this thread.