• VERY First Build - Around $1500
    63 replies, posted
[B]WARNING I'M "COMPUTER-PART" ILLITERATE [/B] Alright, what I have planned is to have my old gaming ($600~ mid 08 build) rig passed down to my family as a home computer, and build myself a brand new, modern and powerfull computer. Only problem is that i'm "computer-part" illiterate and have no idea what I should get or avoid getting. The only thing I [B]KNOW[/B] is what case I want, and even then I don't know if there's things to look for in cases. [B]In the U.S.A[/B] [B]Things i'll do with it:[/B] -Playing very high end games (bf3, to a very very shitty extent, arma 2 on very high, i can't think of anymore high end games) -Playing anything below that very good (im getting 30-45 fps average on newer source games with medium-low settings) [B]Things i'll reuse:[/B] -Mouse -Keyboard -Moniter, Native 1440x900 (its got a big ol line of white pixles down the left middle but i dont mind) -Headphones and microphone -OS Really really sorry if this is a burden to everyone, but I've looked around at tutorials and i understand the putting together part, but I have no idea what parts I want, and I don't want to throw in a list since I don't really know what I want and i'll look like a 12 year old. But I will try (promise not to laugh) [IMG]http://puu.sh/vTsK[/IMG] (left out the psu because fucked if I know what volts i'll need) [B]ONCE AGAIN IM VERY COMPUTER-PART ILLITERATE SO PLEASE DON'T RAPE ME [/B] [B][SUB]EDIT:[/SUB][/B] This graphics card seems overly expensive, should i replace it with a 570 or something else?
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/xVAko.png[/IMG] Better. I was even able to fit an SSD in there.
If you have a $1500 budget, why are you going with AMD? Intel Ivy Bridge CPUs are fathoms faster. Also, that hard drive is shit, get a REAL Samsung drive, not a rebranded Seagate drive.
Thank you for not shouting in my ear. I had a real shitty feeling coming in here hardly knowing anything. [editline]20th May 2012[/editline] [QUOTE=bohb;36035966]If you have a $1500 budget, why are you going with AMD? Intel Ivy Bridge CPUs are fathoms faster. Also, that hard drive is shit, get a REAL Samsung drive, not a rebranded Seagate drive.[/QUOTE] I'm not hip on the computer part cool club, so I literally have near no idea what kind of parts would suit me. The only reason I even made the list is because I not only felt like its pretty much tradition in this forum to do that, but also to give you an extremely vague idea on what I "want". Again, sorry if i look like a huge dumbass.
[QUOTE=radiomonster;36035972]I'm not hip on the computer part cool club, so I literally have near no idea what kind of parts would suit me. The only reason I even made the list is because I not only felt like its pretty much tradition in this forum to do that, but also to give you an extremely vague idea on what I "want". Again, sorry if i look like a huge dumbass.[/QUOTE] It's okay. I'm pretty sure that's the whole idea of this subforum, so don't be afraid to ask any questions.
[QUOTE=radiomonster;36035972]I'm not hip on the computer part cool club, so I literally have near no idea what kind of parts would suit me. The only reason I even made the list is because I not only felt like its pretty much tradition in this forum to do that, but also to give you an extremely vague idea on what I "want". Again, sorry if i look like a huge dumbass.[/QUOTE] You aren't a dumbass. A dumbass would be someone who tries to saw off parts of computer components to make them fit together, or use 2" wood screws to secure a hard drive in a drive bay (both of which I've seen first hand.) You just need to read up more on computer parts to make a more informed decision. Go to review and benchmarking sites to compare things you might think are good.
The Antec 900 is a bit old. Doesn't matter so much as cases are just a matter of personal taste, but keep that in mind.
When I looked for a case, I looked for something known to be good at ventilating. after seeing reviews. Too bad they all looked terrible or had 2 huge ass fans right on the front to make it look extra ugly, compared to the one I have, that somehow make the fans look neat on it. Suggest a good case for me, if you could. [editline]21st May 2012[/editline] Also, any difference between all the 670's newegg has to offer? All of them seem out of stock expect one, is it bad to go for it or do i stick with the EVGA when it become available? [editline]21st May 2012[/editline] And regarding the SSD, I didn't plan on having an SSD drive since they drive the price right up the ass, but could I have 2 harddrives, one SSD, the other HDD, and have windows boot from the SSD, as a way to boot faster or something?
I love my Corsair 500R, the 400R has the same chasiss build and is cheaper. I went from an Antec 900 to a 500R and my system has been running 5-10C cooler. Corsair makes wonderful cases and I would suggest one of the Carbide or Graphite Series cases. [url]http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811139008[/url] [url]http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811139010[/url] [editline]21st May 2012[/editline] Here is a full build, I got the Corsair Vengance Ram because it would match the case/mobo/gpu and wouldn't stick out like red. You don't need an SSD right now but I like to use SSDs as my game drives, and SSD prices will drop within the coming year to below $1 per GB, but thats up to you. [img]http://i.imgur.com/u9eq0.png[/img] I'll post a public wishlist in a minute. [editline]21st May 2012[/editline] Use the SSD as the boot drive and put a couple of games like BF3 and Arma2 on it. And SSD prices will be going down so you could wait to get one but its still within budget. [editline]21st May 2012[/editline] Also it seems Newegg is out of stock on EVGA 680s and 670s. I like to stick with EVGA cause they have also provided me with the best customer support and have some of the best warranties around. [editline]21st May 2012[/editline] This is the only available 670 (PNY is always overpriced for the same exact thing). [url]http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127675[/url] But MSI is a good brand too, I would go with it.
[img]http://puu.sh/w1G5[/img] WIP build list, tell me what you think I got windows 7 on there because i actually have a 32 bit disc right here, and since i have 8 gigs of ram, i'll use 64 to take full advantage.
Why do you have an external Hard Drive on there? Get the Samsung Spinpoint F3, its $20 cheaper. And get an aftermarket Heatsink like the Hyper 212, and some thermal paste. Since you are getting the unlocked version of the 3570, might as well overclock it (in arma2 it will make a big difference). I would also recommend an SSD, but if you want to go under your budget you can do with out.
Since I'm handing down my computer, i'll give them a nice clean harddrive, and we keep alot of important things like childhood images on there, so i'd like to give them a external harddrive to keep those in. Also I have no idea how to use thermal paste, I do understand the heatsink, just put it RIGHT over the processor, right?
[QUOTE=radiomonster;36045212]Since I'm handing down my computer, i'll give them a nice clean harddrive, and we keep alot of important things like childhood images on there, so i'd like to give them a external harddrive to keep those in. Also I have no idea how to use thermal paste, I do understand the heatsink, just put it RIGHT over the processor, right?[/QUOTE] Clean your cpu head with rubbing alcohol and a clean cloth. Then apply a rice grain seize dab of thermal paste on it. Put the heatsink on it and move it around a bit until the paste is spread evenly. (if you cannot spread it evenly apply some more). Thats about it.
[img]http://puu.sh/w38c[/img] How's it lookin?
Looks good man, I'd order it before the MSI 670s go out of stock. And don't be afraid to ask questions during the build.
All I have to say is find a way to work a full 1080p monitor into your budget with how good your parts are, 1440x900 isn't going to show everything in all of its beautiful high setting glory
I was aiming for below budget, and a new moniter would cut right through the $1500 mark. Thanks for the help and again not shouting in my ear, If I ever have PSU connecting/HDD connecting problems, where should I look to other then obviously my manual?
Do you mean connecting everything to the motherboard?
Yea, uh, that too Also just now the EVGA became available, how long do these stay in stock for?
Usually not long, EVGA is known for top notch customer service and warranties. If you need help during the build just post back in the thread and we can get you going
alright, i plan on ordering up this beast in about a month. is it ok to bump this in about a month with a livestream so i can get fast and reliable help from you guys? also, my computer has a nice little slot right on the front with 2 usb ports and headphone and mic ports. if my case doesnt have this, how easy is it to add? [img]http://i.imgur.com/uuNFO.jpg[/img]
Your case has the headphone and mic ports, and I believe it has USB 3.0 slots on the front that can work with USB 2.0. Someone correct me if I am wrong. [img]http://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd413/josh980/case.jpg[/img]
[QUOTE=josh980;36062097]Your case has the headphone and mic ports, and I believe it has USB 3.0 slots on the front that can work with USB 2.0. Someone correct me if I am wrong. [img]http://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd413/josh980/case.jpg[/img][/QUOTE] USB3 is backwards compatible, but the motherboard headers aren't. If you want front panel USB3 ports, you need a USB3 header on the motherboard.
I'm not quite understanding what you're saying, but if i'm understanding it correctly, my motherboard doesn't support usb3 so i need some sort of wonky device to get those ports working, right?
Your card have 1 front usb 3.0
what
Hey Radio, I would suggest getting an Asus mothboard instead. Get the P8Z77-V, no need for the pro or the fancy versions. Asus's BIOSes and software utilities will save you tons of time. As far as the USB3.0 header goes, the Asrock board you have selected has the front panel header, so does the Asus. That being said, if somehow magically you don't get a board with front panel USB headers, Corsair includes a dongle to convert the USB header connector from the chassis, into a standard USB2.0 header. :)
Alright, I switched out mobos, and it seems 670 prices shot up about 20 dollars. Fuck. Ive heard things about overclocking a 670 to be better then a 680, if I want to do this, will I need extra precautions to stop a fire.
[QUOTE=radiomonster;36108877]Alright, I switched out mobos, and it seems 670 prices shot up about 20 dollars. Fuck. Ive heard things about overclocking a 670 to be better then a 680, if I want to do this, will I need extra precautions to stop a fire.[/QUOTE] No, just watch the temps at all times and as soon as your GPU starts to crash from overclocking too high shut off your computer, also asus GPU tweak is recommended.
[QUOTE=radiomonster;36061814]alright, i plan on ordering up this beast in about a month. [/QUOTE] Ok see you here for a new build in a month then, since alot would have changed pricewise.
Sorry, you need to Log In to post a reply to this thread.