• ATI 4850HD shadow glitch/jitter
    10 replies, posted
When playing some games with dynamic shadows on my rig with a 4850, some parts of the shadows won't render at a distance, while the ones that do show up have a horrible quality. Basically, the high-quality dynamic shadows show up at a very limited distance which is makes the game look horribly ugly. Here are my specs: ATI Radeon 4850HD 512MB Intel Pentium 2 E5300 2.60GHz Windows XP SP3 2GB GDDR2 RAM DirectX 9c updated to the latest version. CCC updated to the latest version. Here are some examples, taken in STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl, on DX9 render on max settings. Here's the "broken" shadow. [img]http://b.imagehost.org/0853/ss_luka_12-24-10_19-44-26_l01_escape.jpg[/img] And here's how it's supposed to look like. [img]http://d.imagehost.org/0139/ss_luka_12-24-10_19-44-31_l01_escape.jpg[/img] I saw the same problems in all the other STALKERs, The Saboteur, Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising, and in Dead Rising 2. So, what is causing it, and are there any solutions to this problem?
I think it's some form of mip-mappign, but then with lightnign calculations. No idea how to disable that though.
I managed to fix it by increasing the shadow draw distance and forcing the mip mapping via ATI Tray Tools and the in-game console. I'm not sure how well it'll be in the other games...
That's how it's supposed to look it's for performance on the game's side.
They're supposed to look like that.
Well, people are saying it's supposed to look like that, but try disabling AI in CCC.
The thing is, it didn't worked like that until two months ago. Not that I should care anymore, everything works like a charm now.
How did it change exactly? It's hard to see all the details with that horrible compression.
[QUOTE=BmB;26987975]How did it change exactly? It's hard to see all the details with that horrible compression.[/QUOTE] Well, it happen over night. Before then the shadows looked like the second one at all distances, but after that they didn't load unless near player, and those that did loaded at a distance(and I'm not talking about much, maybe 6 or so meters in-game) have absolutley horrible quality.
Nothing is wrong with your card, it's just the way the game renders the shadows. It's called cascaded shadow maps if you're interested. The thing is that a single shadow map from a directional light source like sun can only cover a limited area, so to increase that area you'd either need to stretch the shadow map (making it look pixelated), or increase its resolution (requires more memory and processing power). The idea behind cascaded shadow maps is that things that are further away look smaller, so they can be rendered in lower detail. That way, you can use multiple shadow maps to cover your field of view, the ones that are further away can be stretched more to cover a larger area without looking too bad. Basically something like this: [img]http://www.shrani.si/f/3o/13G/1GwHdhJF/csm.png[/img] The only way you can make it look better is to look through configuration files for your games and see if there are options for changing the resolution of shadow maps or if you can change the distances to which shadow maps draw.
[QUOTE=croguy;26993714]Well, it happen over night. Before then the shadows looked like the second one at all distances, but after that they didn't load unless near player, and those that did loaded at a distance(and I'm not talking about much, maybe 6 or so meters in-game) have absolutley horrible quality.[/QUOTE] Are textures in general more grainy?
Sorry, you need to Log In to post a reply to this thread.