• Turn your 6950 to a full fledged 6970 with a Bios mod
    209 replies, posted
[QUOTE=JohnEdwards;27009692]0/10 I am more than certain it voids any warranty, and is not recommended. By that logic Overclocking should be non existent, because you can make a i5-750 act like a i5-760 by a simple oc..[/QUOTE] Sandybridges will change that :smug:
[QUOTE=thrawn2787;27009890]Sandybridges will change that :smug:[/QUOTE] okay, change i5's to DDR3 1333mhz and 1600mhz
[QUOTE=meppers;27004483][img_thumb]http://www.ubergizmo.com/photos/2010/9/intel-processor-upgrade-card.jpg[/img_thumb][/QUOTE] Soon you will see people having to download processor upgrades illegally to be able to use the full power of their purchase.
[QUOTE=Cypher100;27010156]Soon you will see people having to download processor upgrades illegally to be able to use the full power of their purchase.[/QUOTE] Intel is a joke, [url]http://retailupgrades.intel.com[/url]
These may be the same PCB and have the same components, but they are speed binned and most will not get a performance difference
Is there something like this for 5770?
no
[QUOTE=Satane;27011458]Most processors of same generation are the same chip these days. IMO it's fine as it is. Everyone can get what they need for the right price.[/QUOTE] AMD is known for binning. It's actually a great system, the company recycles. For example, budget users get Athlon II X3's when in reality it is the same exact chip as a higher end cpu just with some of its features disabled because of them being defective.
[QUOTE=doonbugie2;27010876]Intel is a joke, [url]http://retailupgrades.intel.com[/url][/QUOTE] I'm trying really hard to not be such a dick when posting but you are making it very difficult for me.
Odellus, let the hate flow through you [img]http://www.buzzflash.com/analysis/04/09/images/02emperor350.jpg[/img]
[QUOTE=Odellus;27011859]I'm trying really hard to not be such a dick when posting but you are making it very difficult for me.[/QUOTE] So, you support "download more preformance"?
[QUOTE=doonbugie2;27012049]So, you support "download more preformance"?[/QUOTE] No, I've just been observing your posts and you're very biased. You post false information constantly and give bad advice in almost every thread you post in. I guess that's H&S' standard now though, so carry on.
[QUOTE=doonbugie2;27011587]AMD is known for binning. It's actually a great system, the company recycles. For example, budget users get Athlon II X3's when in reality it is the same exact chip as a higher end cpu just with some of its features disabled because of them being defective.[/QUOTE] No joke, I bought a Phenom II X2 555BE. The 2 other cores were fine, I unlocked them with my ASUS motherboard, they've been working fine for what, 6 months now? Or maybe 5.
[QUOTE=Odellus;27012087]No, I've just been observing your posts and you're very biased.[/QUOTE] I'm a human being, unfortunatly humans are bias. [editline]27th December 2010[/editline] [QUOTE=nikomo;27012139]No joke, I bought a Phenom II X2 555BE. The 2 other cores were fine, I unlocked them with my ASUS motherboard, they've been working fine for what, 6 months now? Or maybe 5.[/QUOTE] Yeah, the 555's are known for it. Its partly why I like AMD cpu's lol. Congratulations on the stable unlock.
[QUOTE=doonbugie2;27012140]I'm a human being, unfortunatly humans are bias.[/QUOTE] Well, at least he admits it I guess.
[QUOTE=Odellus;27012087]No, I've just been observing your posts and you're very biased. You post false information constantly and give bad advice in almost every thread you post in. I guess that's H&S' standard now though, so carry on.[/QUOTE] False information? Explain.
Let's stay on topic, we have private messages for these sorts of things.
Here we go again. [quote] I'm trying really hard to not be such a dick when posting but you are making it very difficult for me.[/quote]You don't [I]have [/I]to reply. And you can see the bias in his icon. Big deal. Ignore him. Off topic: Odellus do you prefer coke or pepsi?
[QUOTE=Dr Nick;27002674]Better buy them soon though, AMD's likely to fix this very quickly.[/QUOTE] Since when was BIOS unlocking fixable? Also chances are you are unlocking shaders that didn't pass testing and are faulty.
[QUOTE=EBS-Gamer;27004438]Good, I can still run blackops maxed as my 8800GT could.. but I can max BC2 at 1680x1050 with steady framerate no lag[/QUOTE] Sweet, thanks for the info.
I have a feeling that this will be fixed very very soon
[QUOTE=Nsybouts;27018450]I have a feeling that this will be fixed very very soon[/QUOTE] How exactly do you fix a already flashed bios.
[QUOTE=doonbugie2;27019041]How exactly do you fix a already flashed bios.[/QUOTE] I'm guessing it will be like when the old PNY GTX 465's could be flashed to a 470, they eventually came out of the factory unable to do that anymore. The people who get it now though are home free.
After reading about this today, I bit the bullet and went out to NCIX and purchased an XFX 6950 strictly for this. I can confirm to everyone that flashing to a 6970 works flawlessly without any problems at all (well for me, at least). After flashing I ran Furmark at +20% power to test for stability, and it topped out at around 75C with around 50% fan speed. I haven't tested gaming yet, but I'm pretty it will run under 70. I haven't even tried overclocking it yet. This is great, I get 6970 performance for 6950 price. It did replace my 5870, which is still a good card, but I couldn't resist. Oh, plus it's my birthday, so this is like a birthday present, ontop of my 50-200mm lens I got for my camera from my Dad. [QUOTE=doonbugie2;27019041]How exactly do you fix a already flashed bios.[/QUOTE] The chips used in the 6950 and 6970 are the exact same core. The only difference is that the bios limits the shaders and texture units software wise. Unlike the 6850, which is impossible to bios flash to a 6870 because the cores are laser cut on the die at the factory, the 6950 did not go through this process at all. Instead, it's just a "soft" cut, which just reduces the shaders/core clock/texture units on a software level. So what he was saying is that AMD might laser cut the chips in the future once they realize this.
[QUOTE=Dark-Energy;27019304]After reading about this today, I bit the bullet and went out to NCIX and purchased an XFX 6950 strictly for this. I can confirm to everyone that flashing to a 6970 works flawlessly without any problems at all (well for me, at least). After flashing I ran Furmark at +20% power to test for stability, and it topped out at around 75C with around 50% fan speed. I haven't tested gaming yet, but I'm pretty it will run under 70. I haven't even tried overclocking it yet. This is great, I get 6970 performance for 6950 price. It did replace my 5870, which is still a good card, but I couldn't resist. Oh, plus it's my birthday, so this is like a birthday present, ontop of my 50-200mm lens I got for my camera from my Dad. The chips used in the 6950 and 6970 are the exact same core. The only difference is that the bios limits the shaders and texture units software wise. Unlike the 6850, which is impossible to bios flash to a 6870 because the cores are laser cut on the die at the factory, the 6950 did not go through this process at all. Instead, it's just a "soft" cut, which just reduces the shaders/core clock/texture units on a software level. So what he was saying is that AMD might laser cut the chips in the future once they realize this.[/QUOTE] Ah.
[quote]plus it's my birthday[/quote] Happy birthday. [quote] purchased an [B]XFX [/B]6950[/quote] How are XFX when it comes to their "double lifetime warranties?" I'll probably order a 6950 as soon as I get a newegg card from my sister in the next couple of days and I can't decided on which one to get. Last time I got HIS, it's not that I don't like my 4870, but I feel like the warranty is probably worth the extra $10. I could be wrong though if their customer support is a pain to deal with.
[QUOTE=thrawn2787;27019347]Happy birthday. How are XFX when it comes to their "double lifetime warranties?" I'll probably order a 6950 as soon as I get a newegg card from my sister in the next couple of days and I can't decided on which one to get. Last time I got HIS, it's not that I don't like my 4870, but I feel like the warranty is probably worth the extra $10. I could be wrong though if their customer support is a pain to deal with.[/QUOTE] Thanks. I skimmed over it quickly when I opened the box and it says you get a 2 year warranty but you get lifetime if you register the card on their website, so I think that's fair enough. If you want lifetime, you just gotta sign up, that's all. You can also transfer warranties from person to person when you sell the cards according to what I read. It also said you can mount custom coolers on the card without voiding the warranty but only in North America (there's void stickers on the back mount plate but that only matters outside Canada and US thankfully) [editline]27th December 2010[/editline] Oh, here's before and after results from the flashing. Before [quote] P4370 GPU: 4575 [/quote] Flashed to 6970 [quote] P5179 GPU: 5129 [/quote]
Should I buy a 6950 and mod it to a 6970 or should I keep my GTX 480 (overclocked with +100mhz Core clock and +200mhz shader clock)?
[QUOTE=B1N4RY!;27021692]Should I buy a 6950 and mod it to a 6970 or should I keep my GTX 480 (overclocked with +100mhz Core clock and +200mhz shader clock)?[/QUOTE] If you already have the 480 I don't see why you need to get another GPU when that should run most anything no trouble at all.
[QUOTE=B1N4RY!;27021692]Should I buy a 6950 and mod it to a 6970 or should I keep my GTX 480 (overclocked with +100mhz Core clock and +200mhz shader clock)?[/QUOTE] There's really no reason to. And Odellus, welcome back, keep yourself on the mat now..
Sorry, you need to Log In to post a reply to this thread.