• [BuildLog] Pico360
    161 replies, posted
[QUOTE=MacTrekkie;26528042]Close. CPU and Graphics Multimedia Unit are integrated on the board(fun fact: The graphics unit is larger than the CPU by a factor of 3.). The RAM is standard DDR2 SO-DIMM, it's on the bottom of the motherboard. Poor image, but that socket there is where the RAM goes. [img_thumb]http://i.ytimg.com/vi/Rc2EnIkjfAA/0.jpg[/img_thumb] Take that into consideration. A single RAM stick from your desktop computer has more surface area than this motherboard. Also, thank you Xybjj, I didn't know what they were called. I'll see when the motherboard gets here whether or not it comes with some.[/QUOTE] Any update on whether it's going to run Windows or Linux?
Good luck on the build man, it's looking great so far. This should be an extremely interesting work log. I'll be waiting for more updates =D.
[QUOTE=GoDong-DK;26528262]Any update on whether it's going to run Windows or Linux?[/QUOTE] Not yet, need to get the board first. Unless the HDD installs first, in which case I will use my desktop as a surrogate installer for my various OS's. I'll probably cut it in half and put one in each partition. I'm thinking I'll start with Xubuntu and XP to start with, then switch XP with 7 and Xubuntu with... something else, not sure yet.
[QUOTE=MacTrekkie;26528478]Not yet, need to get the board first. Unless the HDD installs first, in which case I will use my desktop as a surrogate installer for my various OS's. I'll probably cut it in half and put one in each partition. I'm thinking I'll start with Xubuntu and XP to start with, then switch XP with 7 and Xubuntu with... something else, not sure yet.[/QUOTE] Fair enough.
Okay, sent in the orders for all the parts I am getting. Newegg parts shipped out fine, as presumably did the CD drive, but apparently about ten minutes before I placed my order from Logic Supply someone bought the last P820 motherboard. New ones are expected on Saturday, and the whole order will ship then. So I can start installing OS's since the HDD is from Newegg in a couple days, but actually trying to do something with the motherboard will have to wait till sometime next week.
[QUOTE=fusionpoo;26524552]good luck with this from everyone at disputed productions(me and crunic :)[/QUOTE] Ok, steal my name. [editline]9th December 2010[/editline] On topic: Very interest build log, never seen one like this before.
Are you sure that little onboard gpu can handle blu ray movies?
[QUOTE=QuikKill;26609593]Are you sure that little onboard gpu can handle blu ray movies?[/QUOTE] According to VIA videos it can, but without a BluRay drive the point is moot. Speaking of drives... My slimline disk drive has arrived :woop:! Also did my tiny USB wireless internet dongle. And now Logic Supply has no expected date for new P820's to arrive. I'm going to try to get them to remove it from my order so I can get all the other things I need from them and then order the board from another supplier.
Looks great makkie. I'm looking forward for more updates from you.
Oh my god, and I was going to build a ITX. I'm totally going to do this later.
:siren::woop::woop::woop::siren: Logic Supply just got back to me, they've removed the motherboard from my order and released it from backorder status. It should ship by the end of the day, get here by Wednesday or Thursday. Now I can order the motherboard itself from another supplier and it will get here maybe Thursday or Friday. :siren::woop::woop::woop::siren:
Stop spamming the :woop: emoticon
[QUOTE=B1N4RY!;26672263]Stop spamming the :woop: emoticon[/QUOTE] Sure, sure, go ahead and ruin the one good moment I've had in the past week :froggonk:
[QUOTE=B1N4RY!;26672263]Stop spamming the :woop: emoticon[/QUOTE] Harsh.
So... are you just going to glue to the inside of the Xbox 360 HD-DVD drive? Or find do you have some sort of contraption capable of mounting a pico mobo.
I ordered a hardware kit from the place that sells the mobo. It should have most of the screws I need. For the HDD I also ordered an HDD mounting bracket that I can mount to the case. I need more parts to get here before I can do any planning, though.
[QUOTE=MacTrekkie;26685655]I ordered a hardware kit from the place that sells the mobo. It should have most of the screws I need. For the HDD I also ordered an HDD mounting bracket that I can mount to the case. I need more parts to get here before I can do any planning, though.[/QUOTE] You suppose to do the planning BEFORE you buy the part
[QUOTE=B1N4RY!;26685763]You suppose to do the planning BEFORE you buy the part[/QUOTE] Regardless of how I assemble it I will need the parts I ordered. And I have a rough idea of how it will come together, it's not like I'm just gonna hot glue all the parts in and call it a day. I will probably glue standoffs to the bottom/top of the HDD mount bracket and put the motherboard on those, since it and the hard drive are the same size.
[QUOTE=B1N4RY!;26685763]You suppose to do the planning BEFORE you buy the part[/QUOTE] I find it easier to actually have the parts out infront of me when I plan.
So this is nice. I've been trying for the past three hours to install Xubuntu to my hard drive. First I tried a LiveCD and managed to fuck burning that up. Then I tried Wubi to install it and now it's just saying it cannot find the iso. What the hell? I'm giving it one more shot.
Just burn a new live cd.
Burn at the lowest speed possible and verify written data if the software you're using allows that.
PROGRESS! Got it to boot from a new CD I burned, now it won't recognize either of my hard drives and demands I connect to the internet. Since I have a wireless card, I don't know how I'm supposed to do the latter, and I don't know anything about the former.
[QUOTE=MacTrekkie;26704663]PROGRESS! Got it to boot from a new CD I burned, now it won't recognize either of my hard drives and demands I connect to the internet. Since I have a wireless card, I don't know how I'm supposed to do the latter, and I don't know anything about the former.[/QUOTE] Why don't you just put Windows XP MCE 05 on it.
[QUOTE=doonbugie2;26705828]Why don't you just put Windows XP MCE 05 on it.[/QUOTE] Because I want to use it as a nettop more than a media center. [editline]14th December 2010[/editline] And I don't like windows media center all that much.
[QUOTE=MacTrekkie;26705886]Because I want to use it as a nettop more than a media center. [editline]14th December 2010[/editline] And I don't like windows media center all that much.[/QUOTE] Ah, now I understand. I was not quite sure what you were doing with it in the first place. I hope Xubuntu works out for you.
Mac, sir, you inspire me. But hey, maybe I didn't read it well, but does it have WiFi? I saw a ITX with n one time, and making a tiny HTPC is a long-coming dream. :3:
[QUOTE=pedroion;26706002]Mac, sir, you inspire me. But hey, maybe I didn't read it well, but does it have WiFi? I saw a ITX with n one time, and making a tiny HTPC is a long-coming dream. :3:[/QUOTE] yes, I am using a USB dongle for WiFi.
can you put up some new pictures
Yes, pictures would be great.
Sorry, you need to Log In to post a reply to this thread.