• [BuildLog] Pico360
    161 replies, posted
I will get you pics as soon as my father gets home. Unfortunately all our digital cameras are either broken or take CompactFlash cards, which we do not have a reader for. Dad has an iPhone 4, which can take good pictures and get them to my computer as well. :siren:MOTHERBOARD HAS ARRIVED:siren: Unfortunately, my motherboard did NOT come with the I/O card board thingy it was supposed to. If the I/O module I ordered from Logic Supply doesn't fit it, then I have to send the mobo back to E-ITX and get a new one. The logic supply shipment should be here in a couple hours. [editline]15th December 2010[/editline] So the Serener I/O module from Logic Supply is [b]not[/b] compatible with the P820 motherboard. It might be possible to jump the wires over, but I would rather get a replacement from E-ITX instead, so I have e-mailed them. besides that one bit, I have everything I need to fire it up.
I fail. The I/O card thingy that it is supposed to come with is the USB/VGA/HDMI/Ethernet port assembly on the card. Which it does have. Now that I have read the owners manual, I know which pins are the power switch pins and can jump them with ease. As soon as I find a VGA cable (Live in an all Mac house and you'll understand why it's so hard to find one), I can fire it up and start installing Xubuntu on it. [editline]15th December 2010[/editline] Also, this should make Odellus happy. Apparently the 60w AC/DC adapter it comes with is made by Seasonic.
[QUOTE=MacTrekkie;26721476]I fail. The I/O card thingy that it is supposed to come with is the USB/VGA/HDMI/Ethernet port assembly on the card. Which it does have. Now that I have read the owners manual, I know which pins are the power switch pins and can jump them with ease. As soon as I find a VGA cable (Live in an all Mac house and you'll understand why it's so hard to find one), I can fire it up and start installing Xubuntu on it. [editline]15th December 2010[/editline] Also, this should make Odellus happy. Apparently the 60w AC/DC adapter it comes with is made by [B]Seasonic.[/B][/QUOTE] :iia: Thats great, you have 60w of reliable power.
Well it runs. Now I have figured out how I can adapt the pin headers to something I can use with the Serener I/O module. But I need some help. I have been trying hard to find a single pin male to single pin female pin header thing. I need to translate the wiring on this motherboard to the I/O module manually, and I would rather not have to use a 1mm soldering iron. Like the headers that some case front panels have. You would not [b]believe[/b] how much of a pain it is to find any headers besides USB with a 2mm pitch. Far easier to work with what I have. So if anyone can find me single pin header cables, I would [I][B][U]GREATLY [/U][/B][/I]appreciate it. Either that or the front panel unit from a VIA Artigo 1100.
I don't know what witchcraft it is what you talk about, but I hope everything ends ok. I'm really interested in this project :shobon:
[QUOTE=pedroion;26726339]I don't know what witchcraft it is what you talk about, but I hope everything ends ok. I'm really interested in this project :shobon:[/QUOTE] Well it's simple. A lot of front panels on cases use connectors that only connect to one pin on the motherboard at a time in case your motherboard has a wierd pin arrangement. I need a bunch of those so I can connect the pin headers on my motherboard to the I/O daughterboard I got. I have the pin-out wiring for both the mobo and the dabo, now I just need some of the pin header thingies so I can wire it pin by pin to the daughter board. [editline]15th December 2010[/editline] AHA! It lives, running Windows 7(same copy as my desktop)! Seems fairly snappy, but neither the VIA drivers for anything nor the drivers for the USB wireless dongle installed for it, so I couldn't connect to the internet to get correct drivers. I'm taking it to school tomorrow. They have a copy of XP I can use as well as lots of ethernet cables hooked up to switches for student laptops, so I should be able to get all the drivers I need. I can also probably bum a VGA cable off of them, too :buddy:
Posting from my mean lean pico machine :smugdog:
come on man pictures, especially since you're done now
[QUOTE=Jaehead;26740467]come on man pictures, especially since you're done now[/QUOTE] Up in five minutes [editline]16th December 2010[/editline] iPHONE WOO! [img]http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/3821/photopk.jpg[/img] Yes, that is a quarter. A FUCKING QUARTER! [img]http://img63.imageshack.us/img63/9710/photo2yr.jpg[/img] Motherboard in top right, HDD snug in its mount bottom right, DVD drive on the left with its *shudder* [i]ribbon cable[/i] :barf: [img]http://img406.imageshack.us/img406/6091/photo1ka.jpg[/img] Whole ensamble compared to a standard desktop keyboard. :pcgaming: [editline]16th December 2010[/editline] :smugdog:
so when are you planning on actually putting this into the DVD drive
[QUOTE=Jaehead;26741385]so when are you planning on actually putting this into the DVD drive[/QUOTE] Once I get some pin header thingies so I can get front panel audio and power button and LED.
Thanks for the pictures. I'm totally going to build one of those.
Awesome idea.
So I got a monitor worthy of such a penultimate computer. Found it in the garage, couple years old. It's a Dell UltraSharp something, I think it's 24" 1920x1200. Tried playing Half Life on it, it got most of the way through the opening sequence at ~10fps then crashed. About to try Judge Dredd: Dredd versus Death on it, might go better. I think it may be torture for the poor Chrome9, though, to run anything at this resolution.
[QUOTE=MacTrekkie;26745417]So I got a monitor worthy of such a penultimate computer. Found it in the garage, couple years old. It's a Dell UltraSharp something, I think it's 24" 1920x1200. Tried playing Half Life on it, it got most of the way through the opening sequence at ~10fps then crashed. About to try Judge Dredd: Dredd versus Death on it, might go better. I think it may be torture for the poor Chrome9, though, to run anything at this resolution.[/QUOTE] Why in the fuck do you have a 24" UltraSharp sitting in your garage, unused?
[QUOTE=Odellus;26745452]Why in the fuck do you have a 24" UltraSharp sitting in your garage, unused?[/QUOTE] A very good question indeed. But I think it would be best just to accept this particular gift and not question it.
[QUOTE=MacTrekkie;26745512]A very good question indeed. But I think it would be best just to accept this particular gift and not question it.[/QUOTE] :wtc: If I had a UltraSharp 24" monitor I'd put it to use instantly.
[QUOTE=doonbugie2;26745743]:wtc: If I had a UltraSharp 24" monitor I'd put it to use instantly.[/QUOTE] Don't worry, I am. My previous primary monitor was a Samsung Syncmaster 720, 19" 1280x1024. I am going to use this one as my primary now and put the Samsung to secondary so I have [b]tons[/b] more space to model. Plus it allows me to watch modeling lessons without alt+tabbing.
[QUOTE=MacTrekkie;26745801]Don't worry, I am. My previous primary monitor was a Samsung Syncmaster 720, 19" 1280x1024. I am going to use this one as my primary now and put the Samsung to secondary so I have [b]tons[/b] more space to model. Plus it allows me to watch modeling lessons without alt+tabbing.[/QUOTE] Great news, I'm jealous. I hate this stupid 1440x900 dual monitor setup.
I never heard of UltraSharp 24" monitors. What's special about them? :ohdear:
whats the point of making something this dumb.
[QUOTE=doonbugie2;26745846]Great news, I'm jealous. I hate this stupid 1440x900 dual monitor setup.[/QUOTE] Don't be hatin' on multiple 1440x900 screens.
[QUOTE=Axiom :D;26746110]whats the point of making something this dumb.[/QUOTE] That's a really sad attempt at trolling. You should be ashamed of yourself.
[QUOTE=MacTrekkie;26746144]That's a really sad attempt at trolling. You should be ashamed of yourself.[/QUOTE] Zzzz...zz..... ^ My first reaction aswell. I liked it better when he was banned.
[QUOTE=pedroion;26746082]I never heard of UltraSharp 24" monitors. What's special about them? :ohdear:[/QUOTE] Dell Ultrasharps are widely considered one of the best monitors available.
[QUOTE=pedroion;26746082]I never heard of UltraSharp 24" monitors. What's special about them? :ohdear:[/QUOTE] I love how you sit there and rate my posts dumb when you don't even know what one of the greatest line of monitors ever created are.
I just played through two long rounds of Killing Floor on this thing :smithicide:
[QUOTE=MacTrekkie;26746649]I just played through two long rounds of Killing Floor on this thing :smithicide:[/QUOTE] :wtc: Get to a hospital, tell the doctor how bad the framerates were.
so how powerful is this say, compared to a non-ion, atom netbook?
[QUOTE=Jaehead;26746690]so how powerful is this say, compared to a non-ion, atom netbook?[/QUOTE] According to benchmarks this processor is ~35% more powerful than a same clocked single core atom, and almost exactly the same as a same clock dual core atom. But the graphics let it down a LOT. Apparently VIA is close to a major update to their graphics chipsets that may actually be able to play Source games on ultra-low settings.
Sorry, you need to Log In to post a reply to this thread.