• Radeon R9 380 Crash on Certain Games
    15 replies, posted
Since July, most games will crash at random intervals for me. What will happen is that the screen will either freeze or go black and the game will crash. In my event viewer I'll get an error stating that the application has been blocked from accessing graphics hardware. What's confusing is that certain games will crash and certain games wont, showing no consistency. Keep in mind also, I used to not have any problems with these games, so I'm thinking some update fucked it. List of known games that crash: PUBG DOOM Rainbow Six Seige Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Counter Strike: Global Offensive Witcher 3: Wild Hunt List of known games that work fine: TF2 GTA V Overwatch Wolfenstein: The Old Blood Garry's Mod Magicka 1 + 2 Quake Champions Things I've done in attempt to fix it: Uninstall and Reinstall Drivers with DDU TDR Delay Removing overclocks and/or changing clock settings Experimented with and changed Radeon Crimson settings Running games as an administrator and/or compatibility mode Reinstalling Direct X Updating Windows Making sure the GPU isn't overheating System specs: Windows 10 Home 64-Bit AMD FX-6300 @ 3.5 GHZ 8 GB of RAM AMD Radeon R9 380 If anybody could possibly help I'd greatly appreciate it, I've spent countless hours trying to fix this and it's starting to drive me crazy to the point of hopelessness.
Could be a power supply failure, especially considering that it seems to happen on heavier games. What power supply do you use? How long have you been using it for?
[QUOTE=daigennki;52904780]Could be a power supply failure, especially considering that it seems to happen on heavier games. What power supply do you use? How long have you been using it for?[/QUOTE] Corsair CX500M, I've had it for about three years.
[QUOTE=Ghille;52904863]Corsair CX500M, I've had it for about three years.[/QUOTE] From what I can tell, it has 3 year warranty, and it is the only cause I can think of, given what you have already tried. Perhaps it is time for a replacement. Before money is spent though, do you remember the exact date of purchase? Might still be just barely under warranty.
[QUOTE=daigennki;52905505]From what I can tell, it has 3 year warranty, and it is the only cause I can think of, given what you have already tried. Perhaps it is time for a replacement. Before money is spent though, do you remember the exact date of purchase? Might still be just barely under warranty.[/QUOTE] I can't go digging right now but I'm pretty sure I'd have passed the warranty about three months ago. Thanks for your help though.
[QUOTE=daigennki;52904780]Could be a power supply failure, especially considering that it seems to happen on heavier games. What power supply do you use? How long have you been using it for?[/QUOTE] Unless he limits his framerate it should consume roughly the same amount of power regardless of title, though. GTA V is also harder to run than, for instance, CSGO, so the symptoms don't really make sense for a power supply issue IMO. It could still be that, though. OP, download MSI Afterburner and lower the GPU core clock by 100MHz, see if that does anything.
[QUOTE=Rixxz2;52908228]Unless he limits his framerate it should consume roughly the same amount of power regardless of title, though. GTA V is also harder to run than, for instance, CSGO, so the symptoms don't really make sense for a power supply issue IMO. It could still be that, though. OP, download MSI Afterburner and lower the GPU core clock by 100MHz, see if that does anything.[/QUOTE] Actually, yeah, now that you mention it, could also be a video card hardware issue. OP, try that. Maybe also keep an eye after its temperatures using something like HWMonitor while playing games, could be getting unusually hot. Power supply was the first thing that came to mind since those tend to die quicker than any other part, but I guess not always.
[QUOTE=Rixxz2;52908228]Unless he limits his framerate it should consume roughly the same amount of power regardless of title, though. GTA V is also harder to run than, for instance, CSGO, so the symptoms don't really make sense for a power supply issue IMO. It could still be that, though. OP, download MSI Afterburner and lower the GPU core clock by 100MHz, see if that does anything.[/QUOTE] I actually can't lower my core clock anymore from what it is. I haven't actually messed with overclocking before so is there a setting I need to enable?
[QUOTE=Ghille;52909868]I actually can't lower my core clock anymore from what it is. I haven't actually messed with overclocking before so is there a setting I need to enable?[/QUOTE] That's odd, should work out of the box. Uninstall Afterburner and try AMD Overdrive, instead
[QUOTE=Rixxz2;52914097]That's odd, should work out of the box. Uninstall Afterburner and try AMD Overdrive, instead[/QUOTE] My GPU clock settings wouldn't even show up in Overdrive, however I did find this. [img]https://i.imgur.com/Kpryag2.png[/img] I don't really know much about these kind of things but this doesn't seem normal.
[QUOTE=Ghille;52915594]My GPU clock settings wouldn't even show up in Overdrive, however I did find this. [img]https://i.imgur.com/Kpryag2.png[/img] I don't really know much about these kind of things but this doesn't seem normal.[/QUOTE] Okay, that is weird. Could be a video card failure after all. Just to make sure, did you try what I suggested earlier? Monitor temperatures while playing the games that crashed?
[QUOTE=daigennki;52916153]Okay, that is weird. Could be a video card failure after all. Just to make sure, did you try what I suggested earlier? Monitor temperatures while playing the games that crashed?[/QUOTE] While playing PUBG, my temperature peaked to 76 Celsius when the crash occurred.
[QUOTE=Ghille;52916957]While playing PUBG, my temperature peaked to 76 Celsius when the crash occurred.[/QUOTE] 76c is a normal load temperature, as long as it stays below 90-ish it's nothing to worry about
[QUOTE=Rixxz2;52916982]76c is a normal load temperature, as long as it stays below 90-ish it's nothing to worry about[/QUOTE] So I assume it might just be a hardware failure then?
[QUOTE=Ghille;52916990]So I assume it might just be a hardware failure then?[/QUOTE] Yes, and actually probably the video card, considering the error that occurred. Also, if it were the power supply then other components might be affected and cause blue screens, which apparently have not occurred. How is the warranty on the video card?
[QUOTE=daigennki;52918991]Yes, and actually probably the video card, considering the error that occurred. Also, if it were the power supply then other components might be affected and cause blue screens, which apparently have not occurred. How is the warranty on the video card?[/QUOTE] Luckily it's three years and I got the card in 2016 so I should be good. Thanks for all your help guys.
Sorry, you need to Log In to post a reply to this thread.