• The "Quick Questions that does not Deserve a Thread"...Thread. V3
    9,659 replies, posted
Thinking about getting a GTS 450 + a small PSU for an external gpu enclosure, only problem is i don't know where to buy an enclosure... For my work/school laptop, can't directly modify it due to a contract i needed to sign to get it.
[QUOTE=Hiruty;36324796]Thinking about getting a GTS 450 + a small PSU for an external gpu enclosure, only problem is i don't know where to buy an enclosure... For my work/school laptop, can't directly modify it due to a contract i needed to sign to get it.[/QUOTE] Wait for midrange Kepler. Is there any way to remove the clock from the Windows 7 taskbar but keep the date?
Some serious shit is happening: I don't know why, but ONLY facepunch.com works, any other websites (google, moddb, youtube, imgur etc) doesn't even ping. I can browse this site without any problem but other hosts are somehow blocked or I don't know, but I didn't change any settings, it just happened and I can't solve it. Other programs can't reach the internet too. Can you help me please?
Check \Windows\System32\drivers\etc\host
It is completely clean (only comments). Whatever it was, I cleaned up my startup config and the problem went away. Windows is so mighty sometimes.
Weighing up my options here, do i double up my HD6950 or get a single GTX670?
[img]http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u101/JOVH/ff90f2e9-52c0-473d-88e4-0df09017f321.jpg[/img] Laptop was dropped and is now showing this funky trip whenever you open up the start menu, any ideas?
If I have a case fan that's broken (power cables), can it cause problems to everything else (freezes, strange errors) when plugged in, or will the fan itself just act bad until it dies?
[QUOTE=Sgt Pringles;36337735][img]http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u101/JOVH/ff90f2e9-52c0-473d-88e4-0df09017f321.jpg[/img] Laptop was dropped and is now showing this funky trip whenever you open up the start menu, any ideas?[/QUOTE] Is this only when you pop open the start menu, and works fine otherwise?
[QUOTE=Trekintosh;36338120]Is this only when you pop open the start menu, and works fine otherwise?[/QUOTE] The artifacts doesn't show when its displaying just the desktop, only goes crazy when you open the start menu, I'm wondering if something on the mobo was damaged or if the hard drive took a hit when it fell, as it did cartwheel a few meters on its bounce off the floor.
Sounds like the graphics chip is cracked.
[QUOTE=Sgt Pringles;36338476]The artifacts doesn't show when its displaying just the desktop, only goes crazy when you open the start menu, I'm wondering if something on the mobo was damaged or if the hard drive took a hit when it fell, as it did cartwheel a few meters on its bounce off the floor.[/QUOTE] Could you try running something intensive on it, a game of some sort? That should be most telling.
[img]http://puu.sh/B8jA[/img] Any good guys? (HDDs would come out my old system, so no need to buy as well as optical drives)
[QUOTE=MadBomber;36341910][img]http://puu.sh/B8jA[/img] Any good guys? (HDDs would come out my old system, so no need to buy as well as optical drives)[/QUOTE] [del]what gpu are you using?[/del] nevermind I'm blind. maybe a stronger PSU so you can SLI later?
I need a laptop for college and these are the ones my school is offering, is it worth picking one of these up? Or can someone recommend me a better one. Prices are in USD. HP Probook 6560b - $909 15.6 Inch Display with Webcam Intel Core i5-2520M Processor Windows 7 64bit 4GB Memory 250GB 7200RPM hdd HP EliteBook 8760w - $1,654 17.3 inch display i7-2630QM Windows 7 64bit 8GB memory 500GB 7200rpm hdd AMD FirePro M5950 HP Folio 13 - $999 13.3 Inch Display Intel Core i5-2467M Windows 7 64bit 4GB Memory 128GB SSD Intel HDD Graphics 3000
I'd take the Folio 13 personally, since it's an SSD and only 13.3'' screen. Travelling to college and back would be easy with that. That being said, the Probook is the best value. The EliteBook you should only really consider if you're using the FirePro, which you probably won't be unless you're doing animation or other render intensive courses.
[QUOTE=SataniX;36343012]I'd take the Folio 13 personally, since it's an SSD and only 13.3'' screen. Travelling to college and back would be easy with that. That being said, the Probook is the best value. The EliteBook you should only really consider if you're using the FirePro, which you probably won't be unless you're doing animation or other render intensive courses.[/QUOTE] I'm living on campus so size isn't an issue. I can't stand small laptops.
Anyone know of some other good voip programs besides Skype?
[QUOTE=kaine123;36343152]Anyone know of some other good voip programs besides Skype?[/QUOTE] Mumble
[t]http://puu.sh/BfhW[/t] What case is this?
Whats a good, easy virtual machine (or whatever they're called), I'm thinking of switching one of my old laptops to Linux (taking coding classes in the fall, and I want something to mess with), any recommendations?
So, I had to reinstall flash player, and everytime I do, I get this error. [IMG]https://dl-web.dropbox.com/get/Untitled.png?w=49e178d0[/IMG]
Could anyone give me a quick guide on how to tell the power of graphics cards? My college sucks to much to actually teach.
[QUOTE=DiscoInferno;36351179]Could anyone give me a quick guide on how to tell the power of graphics cards? My college sucks to much to actually teach.[/QUOTE] Reviews, essentially. That being said you can estimate based on the card. AMD cards have 4 figure numbers, e.g. 6870. The first, the 6, is the generation. Then you have the class. Then finally, the power. Essentially, the higher the better - 6970 > 6870 > 6850. However, the generation isn't that simple as a low-end card from a newer generation may not beat a top card from the previous generation - for example, a 6970 will still beat a 7750. It's the same with Nvidia, really, except with only 3 numbers, e.g. 670 6 is the generation, then the 70 is the power. 680 > 670, etc, and the same applies with generations.
[QUOTE=SataniX;36351399]Reviews, essentially. That being said you can estimate based on the card. AMD cards have 4 figure numbers, e.g. 6870. The first, the 6, is the generation. Then you have the class. Then finally, the power. Essentially, the higher the better - 6970 > 6870 > 6850. However, the generation isn't that simple as a low-end card from a newer generation may not beat a top card from the previous generation - for example, a 6970 will still beat a 7750. It's the same with Nvidia, really, except with only 3 numbers, e.g. 670 6 is the generation, then the 70 is the power. 680 > 670, etc, and the same applies with generations.[/QUOTE] So AMD 4250 isn't good at all?
[QUOTE=DiscoInferno;36351426]So AMD 4250 isn't good at all?[/QUOTE] Not even close man
[QUOTE=AugustBurnsRed;36351765]Not even close man[/QUOTE] No Dragon Age: Origins on a laptop for me then :(
[QUOTE=DiscoInferno;36351872]No Dragon Age: Origins on a laptop for me then :([/QUOTE] Nope :( You should be able to run torchlight and torchlight II (pre order II on steam! it comes with the first one for $20) They're both diablo clones but are still awesome in their own ways, and TLII is better than D3 IMO, the beta was super fun
Is there some kind of program that will let me use an irc client (preferably just my mIRC client) inside games? Sometimes I just want to play a game like mount and blade while still being able to see irc without having to alt-tab out...
use your phone
Sorry, you need to Log In to post a reply to this thread.