• ATI 5800 or 6800 series? Or an Nvidea 0_o
    35 replies, posted
So, I've decided to buy a new graphics card. Not really sure why I'm buying one if I'm honest... I just want one, I've a GT 240 currently and along with my i5 clocked to 3740 it plods through anything I care to play. But, I feel like having some spare power to play around with, not have to settle with playing the odd game I do play on medium settings ;). ATI 5800 - I would save £50-100 on the purchase, always a win, Would run anything I care to run really. ATI 6800 More Power I consider then decent considering the value for performance. Nvidea GT480 I know nothing about cake Also, if this isn't long enough for some nub to post tl;dr on I'll type some usless crap here: My GPU History: So, I was a big ATI fanboy back in school (ATI9800pro, Let's face it. It was a monster card, everyone had them. Every geek had a ATI 9800pro, then we all had the Nvidea 8800 :)), then ditched them after I bought the first DX10 card they released, grabbed myself a Nvidea 8800 then a GTX240 then a GT240 (My old PC had some serious heating issues). So, I k fancy a change as my last 3 cards have been Nvidea. But if you can convince me to stick with Nvidea for another card then I'll bite the bullet.
nvidia if you have the cash, the 6800 if you don't. o_O
I did some research prior to upgrading my video card... the HD 6850 performs similarly to the GTX460, but the GTX460 was more expensive (the 768MB version has less transistors or something too) AMD is great for the price but nVidia is good, I've had more driver problems with nVidia than AMD though so keep that in mind
5870s man
Oh and the HD 6800s are midrange budget cards whereas the HD 5800s are top of the line AMD DX10 cards fuck automerge
Try getting a 6800. o_O
[QUOTE=Protocol7;29027904]I did some research prior to upgrading my video card... the HD 6850 performs similarly to the GTX460, but the GTX460 was more expensive (the 768MB version has less transistors or something too) AMD is great for the price but nVidia is good, I've had more driver problems with nVidia than AMD though so keep that in mind[/QUOTE] So AMD GPU's are following the CPU approach? Cheap and awesome, just not as awesome as the competition ;). I do like AMD when building a budget system. If I do go AMD I can't see the 6800 series being worth the extra price jump from the 5800. [QUOTE=Wootman;29027928]Try getting a 6800. o_O[/QUOTE] 6800 refers to the series, as in 6870, 68xx etc etc etc.
Get the 6870 then
[QUOTE=Protocol7;29027920]Oh and the HD 6800s are midrange budget cards whereas the HD 5800s are top of the line AMD DX10 cards fuck automerge[/QUOTE] 5800s are DX11. Just sayin...
[QUOTE=Protocol7;29027920]Oh and the HD 6800s are midrange budget cards whereas the HD 5800s are top of the line AMD DX10 cards fuck automerge[/QUOTE]Umm, It's DX11 actually. Also, what's your budget? Ohh shit, ninja'd :ninja:
[QUOTE=ClaBrendon;29028164]Umm, It's DX11 actually. Also, what's your budget? Ohh shit, ninja'd :ninja:[/QUOTE] I'm not sure. I've got enough money to buy any card I wish really. Been on a bit of a saving spree past 3 months. This month I seemed to have flipped and bought my dream desk along with a new 37 LED LCD TV :) (only 390 btw <3). I guess 3 HDMI ports would be handy, or 2 DVI and 1 HDMI I guess. 2 DVI for dual 25" monitors and a HDMI for the TV incase I need to use it as a media PC for anything. Although the TV works with DNLA devices so I don't really need to hook it directly into the pc. To end the bored rambling: I'm thinking £150 ish? £110 would be perfect, £150 is livable. <£200 for an amazing deal though, something like this [url]http://www.crescentelectronics.co.uk/xfx-radeon-hd-6950-graphics-adapter-radeon-hd-6950-13162hd695acnfc4fa4.html?source=aw&awc=2661_1301347611_c40bae46e15afd37f736bdac6ca7001e&source=aw&awc=2661_1302144741_f2a7e53164e13f56d8571d7e553ea46c[/url] but where they actually have stock in ;). I'm afraid I've spent the past 3-4 years so skint I'm not used to having so many choices and recently I can afford the choice. I'm not a very decisive person I guess. [editline]7th April 2011[/editline] AUTO MERGE POWERS! [url]http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004BDNS9W/ref=nosim/?tag=hotukdeals-21[/url] Just found this on offer, looks like a damn decent price for the spec. Any comments on this card?
[QUOTE=Pantho;29028415][url]http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004BDNS9W/ref=nosim/?tag=hotukdeals-21[/url] Just found this on offer, looks like a damn decent price for the spec. Any comments on this card?[/QUOTE]Umm, not to get it. Looks so cheap. I would a GTX 560Ti over a 6870. Then a 6950 over the 560. [url]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Asus-GeForce-560TI-DirectCUII-Graphics/dp/B004K8R8DA/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1302145959&sr=1-1[/url]
I have a 5870 and I can still run anything on the highest settings so at this point in time you can't go wrong with it
Get two non reference 6790s (MSI has good shit here) and overclock the hell out of them. You will surpass 6970 performance at sub 6950 price if your psu can handle it.
[QUOTE=Meller Yeller;29029842]I have a 5870 and I can still run anything on the highest settings so at this point in time you can't go wrong with it[/QUOTE] Hell, I have a 5850 and I can run everything on high (BC2/Shogun 2). Before this ATI I had a NVIDIA 8800GTS 640MB, before that a ATI X800 256MB, before that a GeForce 440MX 64MB I sort of swap between then each time I've noticed. The drives for NVIDIA are far more stable but the ATI cards have more power for dollar. There is also CUDA on NVIDIA, but openCL on both.
[QUOTE=Meller Yeller;29029842]I have a 5870 and I can still run anything on the highest settings so at this point in time you can't go wrong with it[/QUOTE] The 5870 and the 6870 is very similar in performance, but the 6870 draw less power.
[QUOTE=GoDong-DK;29035627]The 5870 and the 6870 is very similar in performance, but the 6870 draw less power.[/QUOTE] ATI's naming schemes confuse the hell out of me. I'm never sure which is supposed to be better than which and when and by how much. At least nVidia keeps it simple: A GTX 560 is better than a GTX 460, while a GTX 570 is better than a 560 and so on. Very easy, series then model. I have no idea exactly how ATI's cards are arranged.
[QUOTE=MacTrekkie;29035996]ATI's naming schemes confuse the hell out of me. I'm never sure which is supposed to be better than which and when and by how much. At least nVidia keeps it simple: A GTX 560 is better than a GTX 460, while a GTX 570 is better than a 560 and so on. Very easy, series then model. I have no idea exactly how ATI's cards are arranged.[/QUOTE] I don't see your logic.. A GT8400 (does it come before or after?) is the same a 9400, just different? And the 220 GT(?) is about the same too? And what's with the 9800 having both GT, GTS, GTX and GSO, or whatever, as prefixes? There's no logic in that line. They've changed it a little bit, just like AMD did now. In my opinion, it still pretty plain.
[QUOTE=MacTrekkie;29035996]ATI's naming schemes confuse the hell out of me. I'm never sure which is supposed to be better than which and when and by how much. At least nVidia keeps it simple: A GTX 560 is better than a GTX 460, while a GTX 570 is better than a 560 and so on. Very easy, series then model. I have no idea exactly how ATI's cards are arranged.[/QUOTE] They are in the middle of a naming scheme change, stop being a fanboy about everything you like, god damn
[QUOTE=Oicani Gonzales;29036472]They are in the middle of a naming scheme change, stop being a fanboy about everything you like, god damn[/QUOTE] MacTrekkie's not really much of a fanboy - I've seen much worse. He just likes his Mac, and here he just said that he didn't find AMD's naming scheme logical.
[QUOTE=GoDong-DK;29036458]I don't see your logic.. A GT8400 (does it come before or after?) is the same a 9400, just different? And the 220 GT(?) is about the same too? And what's with the 9800 having both GT, GTS, GTX and GSO, or whatever, as prefixes? There's no logic in that line. They've changed it a little bit, just like AMD did now. In my opinion, it still pretty plain.[/QUOTE] True, the 8xxx/9xxx series was a little derpy with naming. And the current GT series is also. GT 430 is worse performing than a GT 220? I guess i just had a derp moment. In unrelated news this marks the 24th hour of me being awake in a stretch.
[QUOTE=Wootman;29027999]Get the 6870 then[/QUOTE] Have it and it's great, BC2 everything full and never notice any FPS drop. Jizz everywhere.
[QUOTE=Ubercharged;29036597]Jizz everywhere.[/QUOTE] If your graphics card is spewing jizz I wouldn't recommend it to be honest...
I used to have problems with ATI Drivers back in the day so have always really been an Nvidia user, but recently the Nvidia drivers have been getting worse and the ATI cards were very cheap for what reviews showed as comparable performance, so I changed my GTX260 for an ATI 5870 when they came out. The ATI drivers are slightly better than they used to be, but are still about comparable with Nvidia's current drivers. While the 5870 is a powerful card, if you take in to account the minimum / average performances it does suffer - There are noticeable slowdowns and stutters, it kind of made me think that it was a bit of a waste of money which is not how my last Nvidia upgrade made me feel. So much so that my next card will be most likely be an Nvidia card even though it is likely to be more expensive.
[QUOTE=yngndrw;29036815]I used to have problems with ATI Drivers back in the day so have always really been an Nvidia user, but recently the Nvidia drivers have been getting worse and the ATI cards were very cheap for what reviews showed as comparable performance, so I changed my GTX260 for an ATI 5870 when they came out. The ATI drivers are slightly better than they used to be, but are still about comparable with Nvidia's current drivers. While the 5870 is a powerful card, if you take in to account the minimum / average performances it does suffer - There are noticeable slowdowns and stutters, it kind of made me think that it was a bit of a waste of money which is not how my last Nvidia upgrade made me feel. So much so that my next card will be most likely be an Nvidia card even though it is likely to be more expensive.[/QUOTE] The 11.4 preview drivers seem to be extremely stable from what I've heard. I'm running them right now and I got some performance increases as well.
[QUOTE=Dark-Energy;29037142]The 11.4 preview drivers seem to be extremely stable from what I've heard. I'm running them right now and I got some performance increases as well.[/QUOTE] I have a 5870. Great card and all but sadly. AMD drivers [b]HATE[/b] multi monitor setups. Had to roll back unless I wanted my second screen to flicker like hell when I am scrolling a website on the other screen.
The flickering issues is just the card doesn't go into high 2D clocks when running more than one monitor which is needed...I've had one issue with that when running my other monitor...some drivers have this problem others don't but some people suggested enabling or disabling overdrive which can sometimes fix it, though with me I found it only occurred when I overclocked in overdrive
My card is factory overclocked, but either way I have never had a problem with screen flickering.
I'm going to need a new Gfx card too if graphics keep getting better, just look at Unreal Engine. This video was with 3 GTX 580s [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQdbMWOFguY&feature=related[/media]
[QUOTE=XxLiquidxX;29046085]I'm going to need a new Gfx card too if graphics keep getting better, just look at Unreal Engine. This video was with 3 GTX 580s [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQdbMWOFguY&feature=related[/media][/QUOTE] What game is that? Or is it just a demo? Cause I know I saw an Epic Games logo in there somewhere.
Sorry, you need to Log In to post a reply to this thread.