• Windows 8
    8,715 replies, posted
[QUOTE=Protocol7;38107481]Pokki? I think it's retarded. It does everything Metro does, but it does it... smaller. But still takes up a good portion of your screen. More than your standard start menu.[/QUOTE] So, it does everything Metro does, but doesn't force you to go into fullscreen mode every time you want something, but just uses a decent amount of your screen space? How exactly is that retarded?
I don't get what people are talking about when "compatibility issues" come up while talking about Windows 8. Everything I have installed has worked fine.
[QUOTE=Daniel M;38123280]I don't get what people are talking about when "compatibility issues" come up while talking about Windows 8. Everything I have installed has worked fine.[/QUOTE] Other people use different software than you do. I have come across several incompatibilities, especially in business software, AV's and firewalls. wich means, I can't use windows8 for anything work-related.
all the stuff that had compatibility issues didn't work because the installer was checking the os version and not allowing anything that's not xp/vista/7.
[QUOTE=Daniel M;38123280]I don't get what people are talking about when "compatibility issues" come up while talking about Windows 8. Everything I have installed has worked fine.[/QUOTE] Still having having some driver problems, was worse in older releases of Windows 8 but oh well. Oh well running a dual boot on my laptop with Windows 7 and 8 installed to virtual hard disks. [T]https://dl.dropbox.com/u/4237780/vdisk.png[/T] Time to install 2008 and 2012 on it,
What are the goods and bad about windows 8? I've seen a lot of people dislike it and [i]want[/i] it to fail, what do you guys think others think windows 8 is so bad?
[QUOTE=andololol;38125980]What are the goods and bad about windows 8? I've seen a lot of people dislike it and [i]want[/i] it to fail, what do you guys think others think windows 8 is so bad?[/QUOTE] People don't like change. Really though, most (if not all) people I've talked to who have actually tried Windows 8, liked it.
[QUOTE=andololol;38125980]What are the goods and bad about windows 8? I've seen a lot of people dislike it and [i]want[/i] it to fail, what do you guys think others think windows 8 is so bad?[/QUOTE] They don't like that it have changed. It's not the change itself they hate, but more that it's not what is used to be. They just need to try it properly. I just introduced it to my gf, and she was amazed on the new Metro screen and how everything is just smooth, crisp and user friendly. I was generally amazed how she could easily learn how the interface worked and navigate around without trouble :v:
[QUOTE=andololol;38125980]What are the goods and bad about windows 8? I've seen a lot of people dislike it and [i]want[/i] it to fail, what do you guys think others think windows 8 is so bad?[/QUOTE] Bad: Metro Good: everything else
When getting Windows 8 from the windows store you can get a downloadable version for like 40$.
[QUOTE=ShaunOfTheLive;38126112]Bad: Metro Good: everything else[/QUOTE] Metro is fine, its just not integrated properly.
People say they can't find files as easily, this is how you look for your files: Step 1: Press [IMG]http://ncare.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/windows_key.jpg[/IMG] Step 2: type in the name of your file, I don't know about hidden files though. [editline]21st October 2012[/editline] Well here's how to find hidden files: [url]http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/show-hidden-files-in-windows-8/[/url]
Wait, so have the actual Windows 8 been released yet? Haven't followed this at all.
[QUOTE=Confuzzed Otto;38128745]Wait, so have the actual Windows 8 been released yet? Haven't followed this at all.[/QUOTE] No, it comes out the 26th
[QUOTE=TDocter;38123275]So, it does everything Metro does, but doesn't force you to go into fullscreen mode every time you want something, but just uses a decent amount of your screen space? How exactly is that retarded?[/QUOTE] Oh right, I guess you're really that engrossed on whatever is on your screen under the start menu that you're focusing on that instead of the start menu. I had no idea.
[QUOTE=ManningQB18;38128770]No, it comes out the 26th[/QUOTE] Oh okay. Then I'll be gone for a lnoger while.
I'd just like to point out that there's supposedly a Metro file browser on the market that is very decent. Might be useful to you guys with tablets, it's one of the things that I really can't understand Microsoft didn't include out of the box.
[QUOTE=GoDong-DK;38128971]it's one of the things that I really can't understand Microsoft didn't include out of the box.[/QUOTE] Because MS wants Metro to have the same philosophy as Android and iOS, where all of your files are indexed and accessed through the apps you're going to use them in, and not through a file browser.
Is there anywhere in the UK offering preorders for the system builder version? I've never actually owned Windows before so I can't get the upgrade.
[QUOTE=GoDong-DK;38128971]I'd just like to point out that there's supposedly a Metro file browser on the market that is very decent. Might be useful to you guys with tablets, it's one of the things that I really can't understand Microsoft didn't include out of the box.[/QUOTE] You can browse the filesystem via search, or an app that has it included, I can't imagine why you'd need one as stand-alone in the Metro environment. There isn't one in iOS and I have no idea whether or not one comes in stock android out of the box.
[QUOTE=Panda X;38130287]You can browse the filesystem via search, or an app that has it included, I can't imagine why you'd need one as stand-alone in the Metro environment. There isn't one in iOS and I have no idea whether or not one comes in stock android out of the box.[/QUOTE] Android stock doesn't come with a file browser. It's possible for an OEM to include one but I don't think they generally do.
[QUOTE=Lazor;38130424]Android stock doesn't come with a file browser. It's possible for an OEM to include one but I don't think they generally do.[/QUOTE] Older versions of TouchWiz usually came with "My Files", but it sucks in comparison to ES or Astro.
[QUOTE=ShaunOfTheLive;38130592]Older versions of TouchWiz usually came with "My Files", but it sucks in comparison to ES or Astro.[/QUOTE] All versions of touchwiz come with my files.
Is there any way to make tiles smaller? When I add more I get scrollbar which I hate.
I'm actually glad they're really trying to get rid of the start menu. For the average user, even the start menu was a bit too technical for the average person and this is coming from someone that works in IT. People want it like how it works on a smart phone, open up a dedicated screen that only shows application launch buttons and to be able to click on it.
I wish the start menu was more typography than tiles personally [editline]22nd October 2012[/editline] The typography part of the Metro UI is sexy
why windows 8 is windows 8 [url]http://www.reddit.com/r/windows8/comments/11uhjl/half_size_snapping/?sort=confidence[/url]
Windows 7 actually seems kinda old when you compare it to W8, in my opinion.
[QUOTE=Warship;38135102]Windows 7 actually seems kinda old when you compare it to W8, in my opinion.[/QUOTE] I hated the default skin on W7 anyway, silly gummy everything and rounded corners everywhere, and dat start orb, it was horrific.
Windows 8 sucks and i hope it fails and burns in hell. The failure of win 8 just might make Microsoft to respect more their desktop users.
Sorry, you need to Log In to post a reply to this thread.