• Ivy Bridge Coming April 8th 2012 Apprently
    327 replies, posted
Well I will be waiting instead of upgrading now. Besides, I need to study for classes ha. Will be looking to get a 3570k or 3770k depending on budget and needs then. New boards too. Sweet. [url]http://lenzfire.com/2012/01/ivy-bridge-will-be-released-officially-on-april-8-2012-2012/[/url] [quote]Intel’s next generation processor, code named as Ivy Bridge is expected to release by April 8 2012. Ivy Bridge is made with 22nm technology and 3D Tri-Gate transistors, integrated with DirectX11 and LGA 1155 support.[/quote] [img]http://lenzfire.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/ivy1.jpg[/img] [img]http://lenzfire.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/80a-630x213.jpg[/img] Sorry if double post, I didn't see a similar thread. If so, call me blind.
I think I'll swap mine for a 3770k probably since it's the same socket and all.
cant wait, I'll finally be able to get past this shitty AMD athlon x2 by april.
I'm definitely going to get the 3570K, been waiting for a year.
Christ, the price jump from the 3770 to the 3770k is quite something considering that all you get from it is 0.1GHz base clock and unlocked multipliers. Looks suspiciously like they're taking advantage of their market dominance
[QUOTE=leach139;34048501]Christ, the price jump from the 3770 to the 3770k is quite something considering that all you get from it is 0.1GHz base clock and unlocked multipliers. Looks suspiciously like they're taking advantage of their market dominance[/QUOTE] but i ned more gherz for best fps in counterstrike!!!! :)
[QUOTE=leach139;34048501]Christ, the price jump from the 3770 to the 3770k is quite something considering that all you get from it is 0.1GHz base clock and unlocked multipliers. Looks suspiciously like they're taking advantage of their market dominance[/QUOTE] I like to consider the cost difference over the life of the product. it's like a 35-40 dollar difference. spread over many months or years. It's like a tacobell taco per month.
I want to see the benchmarks first before I become excited.
Still only 4 physical cores? Come on intel release some 8-6 core modules like amd has, my vm's need it
[QUOTE=JohnFisher89;34048867]Still only 4 physical cores? Come on intel release some 8-6 core modules like amd has, my vm's need it[/QUOTE] The 4+ cores is for Xeon and the E series. If you want 6-8 cores go Xeon based on SB-E or IB-E
[QUOTE=Brt5470;34049453]The 4+ cores is for Xeon and the E series. If you want 6-8 cores go Xeon based on SB-E or IB-E[/QUOTE] Not cost effective, I can get a 16 core CPU from amd at the price of a 6 core with a Xeon. Oh well, stickin with amd for a bit longer
[QUOTE=JohnFisher89;34050145]Not cost effective, I can get a 16 core CPU from amd at the price of a 6 core with a Xeon. Oh well, stickin with amd for a bit longer[/QUOTE] Point is, they have them, I didn't realize you were concerned about cost. The current line up are already very fast for the majority of their user base. If you need more cores, they are available, just not in the mainstream line up. Not defending lack of cores as I'd love an octocore IV-E for like 400bucks.
Lots of the cores in AMD products are only half-cores or something. They will share resources and are more like hyperthreads than actual cores.
[QUOTE=Brt5470;34050204]Point is, they have them, I didn't realize you were concerned about cost. The current line up are already very fast for the majority of their user base. If you need more cores, they are available, just in the mainstream line up. Not defending lack of cores as I'd love an octocore IV-E for like 400bucks.[/QUOTE] Yeah this would be for my dev clusters, my production shit is mostly 80/20 amd/intel, and those come from dell at a better price [editline]4th January 2012[/editline] [QUOTE=BrainDeath;34050251]Lots of the cores in AMD products are only half-cores or something. They will share resources and are more like hyperthreads than actual cores.[/QUOTE] Bulldozers run at 1FPU per 2 cores thus only 4 cores can be addressed at any single time, while it is better to have a physical core process data then a HT the FPU bottlenecks it
Still holding strong on my QX6850
Was going to get a sandy i5 but I think I'll wait a few months
the best $200~ cpu doesn't really look all that much better than my 2500k i mean its like a whopping 100 mhz better [editline]4th January 2012[/editline] oh fuck i forgot about the 3d transistors and the 22nm thing fuck i want the new chip
[QUOTE=meppers;34054710]the best $200~ cpu doesn't really look all that much better than my 2500k i mean its like a whopping 100 mhz better [editline]4th January 2012[/editline] oh fuck i forgot about the 3d transistors and the 22nm thing fuck i want the new chip[/QUOTE] Thats what I was saying at first too, especially since current i5 and i7 prices will drop which would made me think "Why even get the new ivy bridge?" Till I saw the 3d transistors and 22nm architecture.
Going from a 65nm Q6600 to a 22nm will be mind blowing.
Can't wait to upgrade from my Phenom 9600 2.3GHz I'm going to start saving and go all out It might sound excessive but I'm thinking a i7 3770-K, 24 gb RAM, and a motherboard should only run me ~$650
[QUOTE=Zerokateo;34055314]Thats what I was saying at first too, especially since current i5 and i7 prices will drop which would made me think "Why even get the new ivy bridge?" Till I saw the 3d transistors and 22nm architecture.[/QUOTE] Rumors said Intel could have made the chips alot more aggressive on it's base clocks, but Intel decided not to ( since it most of its chips pull away from AMD's latest ) and just rather focus on power efficiency and new technologies. [editline]4th January 2012[/editline] [QUOTE=ClaBrendon;34055470]Going from a 65nm Q6600 to a 22nm will be mind blowing.[/QUOTE] Going from a 65nm to a 32nm processor is already mind blowing enough. I can't imagine what the 3D tri-gate transistors will be like though, hell, if the numbers are as good as the shrink to 28NM for GPU's I can't imagine what it'll be like on CPU's
I'm amazed just how fast processors are getting even better.
Glad they didn't change sockets.
[QUOTE=The First 11'er;34056599]Glad they didn't change sockets.[/QUOTE] This, I just hope now that they will add support for Ivy Bridge in the popular P8Z68 motherboard series
What kind of change does 22nm and 3D transistors actually do, assuming the GHz stays the same between this and a standard 65nm chip today?
Lower power consumption/heat dissipation and faster performance
less power consumed = less heat = more overclock gigahurtz
This comes out the day after my birthday, what a fantastic coincidence.
Awesome. Totally not upset that I just got a 2600k. Yup, nope. Not upset at all.
Damn 22nm... That's only ~200 silicon atoms wide.
Sorry, you need to Log In to post a reply to this thread.