• Friend's PC does not power on
    10 replies, posted
Trying my best to help a friend with this one. I've run out of obvious ideas. Please note that I don't have physical access to the PC so I'm going to be basically transcribing stuff. Sorry, but I really want some extra heads working on this one. Motherboard in question is an MSI Z87-G41 PC MATE and I think that's the main part that could be having issues here. PSU is a CX600, RAM is some generic DDR3. What happened: -My friend tried filling all the RAM slots in her motherboard. I can ask what the RAM was but I doubt it matters much. The new kits she added were of a different model entirely from the ones already installed. -At some point, she may have whacked a screwdriver on the motherboard surface, near the CPU socket. It's difficult to tell whether or not this could have broken a trace on the board. We can't get a good picture of it. -Past this point, the PC receives no power. No LED, no PSU fan spin, no PSU power. What we've tried: -Jumping motherboard PWR header. No response. -Jumping pins 4 and 5 on 24-pin ATX power. Resulted in PSU fan spin and case fan spin, but the case fans are connected directly to the PSU via molex adapter. This was also tried with the ATX CPU power connected to the motherboard. Same result. ...Hopefully that's not damaging or anything. I'm assuming it's not, but as some of you know, I'm not very knowledgeable about PC power. -Tried resetting CMOS as a long shot. Nothing. -Tried unplugging and replugging every single component in a way that would be expected to power on. Nothing. -Reseating RAM, as well as ALL other components. Nothing. At this point I'm out of ideas and could use some more expertise. I really don't want it to be a broken trace. thanks in advance
Sounds like it's either the power supply, or as you said, motherboard that's dead. A dead motherboard will generally still turn everything on, while failing the POST. Still seems more likely that it's the motherboard considering it's the part she's worked the closest to and may have even damaged with the screwdriver, though
Could the PSU really be dead? It does have fan spin if jumped so I feel like it's not... But we can't really test if it's actually delivering any power.
Could the PSU really be dead? If it's not urgent, and a tight budget, what you could do is try getting a hold on a PSU tester. They're not braindead expensive, they're probably not super-professional-grade either, but if you chip in another three bucks, you could have it within 2-3 weeks. Or if you have a multimeter, try jabbin' probes in, and start checking if you're getting the correct voltage readouts? http://www.smpspowersupply.com/connector_atx_pinout.GIF
a dead board can show no signs of life if something on it shorts the 5vsb standby rail on your PSU. try measuring the standby pin on the 24 pin while it’s disconnected and with it connected to the board if it is showing much less than 5v when plugged in then the board is bad. Use the picture above for reference.
How are you supposed to use a multimeter on the 24 pin while it's plugged into the board?
You can stab the pins from the side they're pushed in from. It sounds like the PSU. If you have an extra one, try it. Failing that, it could likely be a MB/CPU issue. that's the three most likely suspects. The CPU is probably a 5% chance, MB 30% and 65% PSU. The draw current of starting the computer can overload the PSU and force it to fail starting. Also, are the motherboard standoffs installed?
Did you try just checking it disconnected from the MB first?
I'd definitely assume motherboard failure or PSU failure first, but with that said - I have had a CPU fail on me (an i5-3570K) with the exact same symptoms you're describing (so basically, nothing responds). It was only after ordering both a new PSU and motherboard and testing it that it occurred to me. That CPU was bought used, but it had been working fine for 6-8 months or so before giving up. Anyway, probably rare, but don't rule it out - get her to check the CPU out in a different mobo if possible (maybe she has a friend nearby with a compatible mobo?).
Sorry, you need to Log In to post a reply to this thread.