• PC Building Thread V1ti
    5,000 replies, posted
[QUOTE=joshuadim;52812171]So I figure it's about time to start saving up for upgrades to my pc. [IMG]https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/270746808353947659/372047071965872130/unknown.png[/IMG] What is my best option for upgrading at the lowest possible cost? Do I go Ryzen or do I stay intel?[/QUOTE] Honestly, if you're looking to upgrade, upgrade the video card or get an SSD. Those are the upgrades that would really benefit you in the most noticeable way. Your processor will still handle anything you throw at it. [editline]23rd October 2017[/editline] [QUOTE=Atlascore;52812229]The 3570k is fully capable of running 1080p/1440p/4k @ 60 FPS so you're fine there unless you plan on upgrading to a high refresh rate monitor. As for your graphics card there's no point in upgrading unless you're moving up to 1440p or 4k, the 1070/1080/1080 Ti would all be extreme overkill for 1080p 60Hz and the 1060 is basically a sidegrade.[/QUOTE] I upgraded to the 1080 ti because I wanted a higher refresh rate. So I moved on to 1440p at 144hz, highly recommend.
[QUOTE=fishyfish777;52810746]Idk I find it fantastic on anything My W541 used to overheat on a fresh repaste with MX-4 but can now sustain full clock speed at max load, and my desktop now has a temp range of 22C-50C or so whereas it'd redline at this clock speed with conventional paste. Conventional paste also pumps out and gets worse over time whereas whatever liquid metal seems to keep its thermal properties pretty good.[/QUOTE] Liquid metal will ruin copper and aluminium. It's not worth the trouble for a few c difference over a good thermal paste.
[QUOTE=LAMB SAUCE;52813447]Liquid metal will ruin copper and aluminium. It's not worth the trouble for a few c difference over a good thermal paste.[/QUOTE] Yeah, that and you might need to replace your paste once sex every couple of years if you're getting bad thermals. It's really not an issue
[QUOTE=Sylvie;52813487]Yeah, that and you might need to replace your paste once sex every couple of years if you're getting bad thermals. It's really not an issue[/QUOTE] What kind of sex are you having?
[QUOTE=DChapsfield;52813600]What kind of sex are you having?[/QUOTE] None, hence every couple years Just in case
[QUOTE=LAMB SAUCE;52813447]Liquid metal will ruin copper and aluminium. It's not worth the trouble for a few c difference over a good thermal paste.[/QUOTE] Pretty much no high performance heatsink has an aluminum heat transfer face and all it does to copper is just discolor it I've had regular TIM pump out so bad that within a few days it went from 60-70C load to 100C load whereas the liquid metal has been holding up for a year now with 50C load, so I'll gladly take that compromise.
[QUOTE=fishyfish777;52813971]Pretty much no high performance heatsink has an aluminum heat transfer face and all it does to copper is just discolor it I've had regular TIM pump out so bad that within a few days it went from 60-70C load to 100C load whereas the liquid metal has been holding up for a year now with 50C load, so I'll gladly take that compromise.[/QUOTE] Seriously? Were you wiping your ass then putting it on the CPU? I have had noctuas thermal paste on my old PC that ran 6 hours a day for 8 years, took the CPU off a couple weeks ago and it was the exact same as when I put it on, thermals had not even changed from my perception either. Even regular TIM isn't that bad. Also a common misconception that copper Is just "stained", copper is actually degraded by the liquid metal, the stain you see is actually the liquid metal creating a new alloy with the copper. This new alloy with copper is not as good thermal conductor as pure copper is. Basically, your thermals will drop by a small margin, the same small margin normal people get over thermal paste. Additionally the liquid metal will make the copper brittle over time, so if you have vapour chamber copper pipe heat sink then that will affect you. There's a reason not many people use liquid metal on anything other than nickel
[QUOTE=LAMB SAUCE;52814037]Seriously? Were you wiping your ass then putting it on the CPU? I have had noctuas thermal paste on my old PC that ran 6 hours a day for 8 years, took the CPU off a couple weeks ago and it was the exact same as when I put it on, thermals had not even changed from my perception either. Even regular TIM isn't that bad. Also a common misconception that copper Is just "stained", copper is actually degraded by the liquid metal, the stain you see is actually the liquid metal creating a new alloy with the copper. This new alloy with copper is not as good thermal conductor as pure copper is. Basically, your thermals will drop by a small margin, the same small margin normal people get over thermal paste. Additionally the liquid metal will make the copper brittle over time, so if you have vapour chamber copper pipe heat sink then that will affect you. There's a reason not many people use liquid metal on anything other than nickel[/QUOTE] Who legitimately cares that their [I]heatsink[/I] becomes brittle over time? It's not like it's a moving part and the only vapor chambers / heat pipes I have ever seen fail are ones on [I]really,[/I] really old graphics cards that didn't use liquid metal anyway. I am aware that it does alloy and you can't exactly sand it away, but again, who cares? It's still metal and it still conducts heat better than any thermal paste. In real-life terms, it's literally just a stain. Conventional TIM works fine for CPUs with good thermal dissipation to the IHS (i.e. soldered) as well as lower powered PCs, but there's way too much fearmongering over liquid metal. It ain't gonna make your computer explode if you don't let it touch aluminum and it works great for what it is - and for bare die, heavily overclocked applications it's basically the only working option. (I do appreciate on laptops that it lowers fan speed a significant notch as well)
[QUOTE=fishyfish777;52814309]Who legitimately cares that their [I]heatsink[/I] becomes brittle over time? It's not like it's a moving part and the only vapor chambers / heat pipes I have ever seen fail are ones on [I]really,[/I] really old graphics cards that didn't use liquid metal anyway. I am aware that it does alloy and you can't exactly sand it away, but again, who cares? It's still metal and it still conducts heat better than any thermal paste. In real-life terms, it's literally just a stain. Conventional TIM works fine for CPUs with good thermal dissipation to the IHS (i.e. soldered) as well as lower powered PCs, but there's way too much fearmongering over liquid metal. It ain't gonna make your computer explode if you don't let it touch aluminum and it works great for what it is - and for bare die, heavily overclocked applications it's basically the only working option. (I do appreciate on laptops that it lowers fan speed a significant notch as well)[/QUOTE] It makes no sense whatsoever. Liquid metal under the ihs makes sense for a non soldered CPU. But on top between a heatsink and a CPU does not. Yes it being brittle matters, if you're taking it out and a vapour chamber pipe may crack etc. The negligible gain from liquid metal on top of the CPU will dwindle fast due to the alloy forming, as well as requiring more frequent reapplications. I mean, if you do it right and get not literal shit as paste, it is just far more logical.
[QUOTE=DChapsfield;52813600]What kind of sex are you having?[/QUOTE] Phone typo, but my dyslexia doesn't help because I read it before posting. Brain cannot words.
So I have some money and I want to upgrade my PC because investing in my future is a waste when you can't afford a fallout shelter. Basically, there's two games that I want to make look gorgeous, Civ 6 and Wolfenstein: the New Collosus. I'm posting my current computer specs as well as the reccommended specs for both games. I know as of poting W:tNC isnt out yet, but I'm fairly sure an educated guess can be made on what level of techno-beefiness is needed to make it shine. Current comp (though I've swapped to a bigger HDD since): [img]https://i.imgur.com/80WXC3c.png[/img] CIVVI rec-specs [img]https://i.imgur.com/UpDpWP3.png[/img] Wolfenstein rec-specs [img]https://i.imgur.com/SYEztUG.png[/img] On a related note, opening up my computer is going to be like an archeological dig with even more dust and grime, how best/safest to clean that gunk out when given the opportunity?
[QUOTE=Atlascore;52821744]Tbh all you need is a new video card and maybe another 8 gig stick of RAM. A 1080 would be a huge upgrade for you, you'll be set for years. [editline]25th October 2017[/editline] If you can find a cheap i7 6700 somewhere you could also throw that in there, it's not needed just nice to have.[/QUOTE] Looking into the 1080 I'm at a loss at what to actually buy. There's so many versions and manufacturers that I just don't even know how to read the names. I'm going to need an idiot's guide or just a link to the right product. The RAM is less of a problem in this way so I should be fine finding that on my own...?
If you only have a 1080p monitor I think you would be better off just getting a 1070 or the upcoming 1070ti Any reason you haven't upgraded to Windows 10? I put it off for ages but I think it's definitely worth it, if the telemetry bothers you there's a bunch of tools to disable it you can still get a free key as well
The 1070ti has very similar specs to the 1080 (100 less cuda cores, about 100mhz slower vram)for $100 less I don't think it makes sense to get a 1080 apart from the fact it's not out until the 2nd and you will have to wait for non reference designs
[QUOTE=waylander;52823165]If you only have a 1080p monitor I think you would be better off just getting a 1070 or the upcoming 1070ti Any reason you haven't upgraded to Windows 10? I put it off for ages but I think it's definitely worth it, if the telemetry bothers you there's a bunch of tools to disable it you can still get a free key as well[/QUOTE] I was just getting into PC gaming around the time the free auto-upgrade tomfoolery was going down and was scared off by all the complaining. If there's still a option to upgrade for free I'm thrifty enough to sign right up two years from back then. [editline]26th October 2017[/editline] [QUOTE=Atlascore;52823324]Here you go: [url]https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01GCAW1IA/[/url][/QUOTE] Thanks!
[url]https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/accessibility/windows10upgrade[/url] you dont have to actually use any assistive tools, if you want once you have updated you can copy the key and do a clean install
[QUOTE=waylander;52824862][url]https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/accessibility/windows10upgrade[/url] you dont have to actually use any assistive tools, if you want once you have updated you can copy the key and do a clean install[/QUOTE] I'm not quite sure I understand but this might be off-topic to continue here.
Sorry to interrupt your party but half the hardware that is suggested here comes with backdoor-a-plenty. Keep going, don't let me interrupt you..
[QUOTE=DiscoInferno;52824876]I'm not quite sure I understand but this might be off-topic to continue here.[/QUOTE] You literally just need to download the W10 upgrade tool and run it, nothing special required.
[QUOTE=Levelog;52825236]You literally just need to download the W10 upgrade tool and run it, nothing special required.[/QUOTE] And I keep my... personal files?
[QUOTE=DiscoInferno;52825254]And I keep my... personal files?[/QUOTE] it'll put them in a place called "windows.old"
speaking of windows.old ... after the Creators update, system created this folder, is there any reason for me not to delete it?
Wait over here the 1070 Ti is more expensive than the 1080 at the moment. Isn't it worse performing than the 1080? I mean it just launched so obviously prices are off but just wondering
[QUOTE=Joey1;52826376]speaking of windows.old ... after the Creators update, system created this folder, is there any reason for me not to delete it?[/QUOTE] You can't revert to the previous build if you delete it. If you have no intention of going back you can remove it, it's auto deleted after 30 or 60 days or something either way.
[QUOTE=Joey1;52826376]speaking of windows.old ... after the Creators update, system created this folder, is there any reason for me not to delete it?[/QUOTE] Not really, just make sure none of the files you want are there first [editline]27th October 2017[/editline] [QUOTE=Zotobom;52826428]Wait over here the 1070 Ti is more expensive than the 1080 at the moment. Isn't it worse performing than the 1080? I mean it just launched so obviously prices are off but just wondering[/QUOTE] I'm pretty sure they fixed that
4690k overclocked to stable 4.5 or ryzen 1700x? I am planning to do mass overhaul of my PC, planning to sell and rebuild everything except hard drives. Wondering if I should keep my CPU or should I go for newer ones? (Keeping current one - potentially gives me extra 300-400 Euro to spend on other parts like GPU or so). Got 970 as well but I want to get something better as I am struggling with getting above 55 fps in performance intensive games. The only reason I still havent played games like Witcher 3 is because I have 144 monitor and I can't enjoy the completely awesome experience when game runs like shit on my 970. So main question is: Will my 4690k @ 4.5 bottleneck modern GPU's?
[QUOTE=arleitiss;52826524] So main question is: Will my 4690k @ 4.5 bottleneck modern GPU's?[/QUOTE] No, not for gaming. keep the CPU.
Looking for semi cheap but not overly expensive screen, I'm fairly sure BenQ still top dog in that area? Any recommendations?
[QUOTE=taipan;52826942]No, not for gaming. keep the CPU.[/QUOTE] Yeah pretty much this. It'll be just fine. [editline]28th October 2017[/editline] [QUOTE=Sims_doc;52829543]Looking for semi cheap but not overly expensive screen, I'm fairly sure BenQ still top dog in that area? Any recommendations?[/QUOTE] [url]https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00VRCLHYS/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1509180578&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=Acer+XG270HU+omidpx&dpPl=1&dpID=410KLZo44oL&ref=plSrch[/url]
Ehhhh after an 8 Bay NAS or a 8 Bay NAS case+ITX mobo or w/e. I cant seem to source any decent ITX super micro boards here in the UK without them being stupid amounts of money and having a D series xeon. I've had to decommission my main storage server due to both heat and space issues, there is no way to really ventilate the area it is in. If it were smaller I could it elsewhere, hence etc. What do. (Drives in question are 4xX300 5TB HDDs and 2x2TB WD Reds)
Sorry, you need to Log In to post a reply to this thread.