• CIPWTTKT&GC v0x13 (v19): Ivy Bridge Edition
    10,002 replies, posted
I feel like me and the handyman guy here are the only ones who know computer hardware. My IT supervisor knows networks, but I think I remember him mentioning that his i7 920 at home is the fastest chip you can buy. So......
[QUOTE=smace;35989786]Hardware prices are insane here too. Look: [thumb]http://i.imgur.com/SlEe7.png[/thumb] [editline]17th May 2012[/editline] [/QUOTE] smace pls [img]http://puu.sh/vdZJ[/img]
[del]Does anyone know how a fucking PS3 works? Trying to stream music from my music folder on my desktop and for some reason when I hit all music, I apparently expect it to just show music from the My Music folder. Nope. It's showing certain sounds from fucking [I]HL2.[/I] WHY!? There is NONE of that shit in the My Music folder. Thanks to iTunes, my music is all in separate folders according to album, artist, etc. so I can't find any other way to play ALL of them without all of those other unnecessary sounds playing. Help me. I am extremely fucking confused.[/del] [B]Edit: NVM, apparently I forgot the existence of my network transfer folder and there was shit in there for some reason.[/B]
So, I have decided that unless I get a higher paying job (like that will happen before I hit 16) Its just not possible to buy a 670 along with anything else I want at the moment. Second 6850 it is!
Apperantly, you can't buy Skyrim in Estonia from Steam.
Holy shit. NASA takes their shit seriously. I go to download some of their shit from the NAS site, while I get some of their benchmarks (NASA Benchmarks, fuck yeah). I have to sign a fucking NDA to download some of this shit.
[QUOTE=SuperDuperScoot;35991845][del]Does anyone know how a fucking PS3 works? Trying to stream music from my music folder on my desktop and for some reason when I hit all music, I apparently expect it to just show music from the My Music folder. Nope. It's showing certain sounds from fucking [I]HL2.[/I] WHY!? There is NONE of that shit in the My Music folder. Thanks to iTunes, my music is all in separate folders according to album, artist, etc. so I can't find any other way to play ALL of them without all of those other unnecessary sounds playing. Help me. I am extremely fucking confused.[/del] [B]Edit: NVM, apparently I forgot the existence of my network transfer folder and there was shit in there for some reason.[/B][/QUOTE] I'd also recommend [url=http://www.ps3mediaserver.org/][b]PS3 Media Sever[/b][/url] for streaming audio and video over a network from your PC to your PS3. Lot's of settings for bandwith, bitrate, et cetera and it's one of the best things to have.
[QUOTE=TonyTheBean;35991968]So, I have decided that unless I get a higher paying job (like that will happen before I hit 16) Its just not possible to buy a 670 along with anything else I want at the moment. Second 6850 it is![/QUOTE] You're better off getting a 7850, its only $249 and runs better then the 6950
[QUOTE=smace;35992044]You're better off getting a 7850, its only $249 and runs better then the 6950[/QUOTE] Why would he buy a 7850 when it'd be throttled down to his 6850 by crossfire? Reading comprehension.
Wait. Would a 7850 be better than 2 6850's?
[QUOTE=TonyTheBean;35992068]Wait. Would a 7850 be better than 2 6850's?[/QUOTE] No. Crossfired 6850's offer approximately double the FPS of a single 7850.
[QUOTE=wingless;35992034]Holy shit. NASA takes their shit seriously. I go to download some of their shit from the NAS site, while I get some of their benchmarks (NASA Benchmarks, fuck yeah). I have to sign a fucking NDA to download some of this shit.[/QUOTE] I don't suppose the NDA allows you to say what you downloaded or why ?
I think I might get a 7850. Its better than a 6850 (?) and it gives me more room to upgrade since my motherboard can only hold 2 graphics cards. [editline]17th May 2012[/editline] And 2 7850's are better than 2 6850's right?
We have a bunch of old ATA drives and I'd like to some how use them in my server since my work has no need for them. Can I some how get a IDE backplate like in the Norco chassis I was getting? No need for hotswap I suppose, I can boot down and take them out since IDE hates hotswap. Basically, I want to use all these old drives until they die. Can I buy SATA logic boards for them and just swap them?
[QUOTE=TonyTheBean;35992115]I think I might get a 7850. Its better than a 6850 (?) and it gives me more room to upgrade since my motherboard can only hold 2 graphics cards. [editline]17th May 2012[/editline] And 2 7850's are better than 2 6850's right?[/QUOTE] Do you already have a 6850? Get another one, crossfire it, wait a generation. If you buy a 7850 to replace a 6850, you'll be having the same "Should I crossfire a second 7850 or buy an 8850" conversation in a years time.
[QUOTE=ijyt;35992136]Do you already have a 6850? Get another one, crossfire it, wait a generation. If you buy a 7850 to replace a 6850, you'll be having the same "Should I crossfire a second 7850 or buy an 8850" conversation in a years time.[/QUOTE] Okay, well I guess I'll do that. What will that run BF3 at with an AMD Phenom II X4 965?
7850 will perform almost aswell as a crossfire 6850 while using less power and has DX11.1
[QUOTE=TonyTheBean;35992151]Okay, well I guess I'll do that. What will that run BF3 at with an AMD Phenom II X4 965?[/QUOTE] I can run BF3 on High with respectable FPS with a single 5850 and a Q9450 at 1080p, so you should be pushing Ultra without much issue. [QUOTE=smace;35992158]6850 Crossfire won't beat 7850. It also uses less power and performs near 570.[/QUOTE] Please stop posting, you only spread misdirection.
[QUOTE=ijyt;35992181]I can run BF3 on High with respectable FPS with a single 5850 and a Q9450 at 1080p, so you should be pushing Ultra without much issue. Please stop posting, you only spread misdirection.[/QUOTE] I don't understand, they perform about the same and 7850 would be future proof while using less power and Crossfire support in many games is lacking. Single GPU is almost always more compatible then dual or quad GPU solutions. 7850 also has more overclocking headroom and has 2GB of ram which will do well in a year or two then he can Crossfire another 7850.
[QUOTE=ijyt;35992181]I can run BF3 on High with respectable FPS with a single 5850 and a Q9450 at 1080p, so you should be pushing Ultra without much issue. [/QUOTE] Ok sweet, at the moment I run the game at medium at 1080p and I only get about 30-40 fps. Now, I heard that BF3 has screen tearing when your using crossfire/sli. What exactly is screen tearing?
[QUOTE=BreenIsALie;35992096]I don't suppose the NDA allows you to say what you downloaded or why ?[/QUOTE] Never signed it. Lazy. It was just for some neat simulation stuff (Wind Tunnels :D) [editline]18th May 2012[/editline] [QUOTE=smace;35992192]I don't understand, they perform about the same and 7850 would be [b]future proof[/b] while using less power.[/QUOTE] Ok no, stop right here. There is no such thing. Future proof is absolute bullshit. Nothing will ever be future proof, it has never happened and will not happen.
[QUOTE=TonyTheBean;35992206]Ok sweet, at the moment I run the game at medium at 1080p and I only get about 30-40 fps. Now, I heard that BF3 has screen tearing when your using crossfire/sli. What exactly is screen tearing?[/QUOTE] Screen tearing, in a simple explanation, is when your monitor's refresh rate can't keep up with your FPS. Enabling VSync in options fixes that by limiting your maximum FPS to be in-sync with your monitors refresh rate.
[QUOTE=TonyTheBean;35992206]Ok sweet, at the moment I run the game at medium at 1080p and I only get about 30-40 fps. Now, I heard that BF3 has screen tearing when your using crossfire/sli. What exactly is screen tearing?[/QUOTE] Oooh don't forget micro-stuttering!
[QUOTE=TonyTheBean;35992206]Ok sweet, at the moment I run the game at medium at 1080p and I only get about 30-40 fps. Now, I heard that BF3 has screen tearing when your using crossfire/sli. [b]What exactly is screen tearing?[/b][/QUOTE] [img]http://cdn.overclock.net/0/08/0820e580_vbattach106180.jpeg[/img] This is an extreme case but shows it off pretty well, Vsync is what gets rid of this (most of the time) [editline]18th May 2012[/editline] [QUOTE=smace;35992242]Oooh don't forget micro-stuttering![/QUOTE] Believe it or not, some people don't care about Micro-stutter. Some people can't help but notice it and hate it and some people just ignore it.
[QUOTE=wingless;35992245][img]http://cdn.overclock.net/0/08/0820e580_vbattach106180.jpeg[/img] This is an extreme case but shows it off pretty well, Vsync is what gets rid of this (most of the time)[/QUOTE] Ah, that explains 2 questions. I see that shit all the time while watching TV through my capture card or editing videos.
[QUOTE=smace;35992192]I don't understand, they perform about the same and 7850 would be future proof while using less power and Crossfire support in many games is lacking. Single GPU is almost always more compatible then dual or quad GPU solutions. 7850 also has more overclocking headroom and has 2GB of ram which will do well in a year or two then he can Crossfire another 7850.[/QUOTE] Via [url]http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/302[/url] and [url]http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/549[/url] [img]http://u.cubeupload.com/ijyt/shutup.png[/img] Further more, a single 7850 offers what, 10fps gain in Crysis Warhead over a single 6850. And in a year or two, he'll be wanting to upgrade to a better card, so why spend more money on an insignificant upgrade when he can spend less money on a better upgrade in regards to his current set up, while tiding him over well enough for the 7xx and 8xxx series?
Seriously Single-GPU setup is almost always better then a multi-GPU setup in terms of compatibility with games. You're better off doing a 7850 single, then Crossfire down the line since 7000's scale better in Crossfire then the 6000's. Plus the 2GB of VRAM will be nice down the line. [editline]17th May 2012[/editline] [QUOTE=ijyt;35992276]Via [url]http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/302[/url] and [url]http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/549[/url] [img]http://u.cubeupload.com/ijyt/shutup.png[/img] Further more, a single 7850 offers what, 10fps gain in Crysis Warhead over a single 6850. And in a year or two, he'll be wanting to upgrade to a better card, so why spend more money on an insignificant upgrade when he can spend less money on a better upgrade in regards to his current set up, while tiding him over well enough for the 7xx and 8xxx series?[/QUOTE] Future proofing, more VRAM and better Crossfire scaling for down the line. I'm thinking he might aswell go with the 7850 as it uses a ton less power then a crossfire setup would while performing about the same and supporting DX11.1 and doing Tessellation better. [editline]17th May 2012[/editline] [QUOTE=wingless;35992245][img]http://cdn.overclock.net/0/08/0820e580_vbattach106180.jpeg[/img] This is an extreme case but shows it off pretty well, Vsync is what gets rid of this (most of the time) [editline]18th May 2012[/editline] Believe it or not, some people don't care about Micro-stutter. Some people can't help but notice it and hate it and some [B]people just ignore it[/B].[/QUOTE] I find it so annoying.. when you're aiming in battle or something then your mouse stutters back getting you shot or something.
[QUOTE=smace;35992278]Seriously Single-GPU setup is almost always better then a multi-GPU setup in terms of compatibility with games. You're better off doing a 7850 single, then Crossfire down the line since 7000's scale better in Crossfire then the 6000's. Plus the 2GB of VRAM will be nice down the line.[/QUOTE] If you are so adamant that multi-GPU is so "incompatible" then why do you keep saying he can get another 7850 "down the line". A 6850 now is over $100 cheaper than a 7850. Crossfire 6850 is superior to single 6850. "Down the line" is irrelevant when there'll be faster cards than the 7850 out. Stop wasting my time.
[QUOTE=smace;35992278]all the dumb stuff you said[/QUOTE]snip [highlight](User was banned for this post ("Reaction video spam" - Orkel))[/highlight]
[QUOTE=ijyt;35992324]If you are so adamant that multi-GPU is so "incompatible" then why do you keep saying he can get another 7850 "down the line". A 6850 now is over $100 cheaper than a 7850. Crossfire 6850 is superior to single 6850. "Down the line" is irrelevant when there'll be faster cards than the 7850 out. Stop wasting my time.[/QUOTE] A single GPU will always scale correctly. A multiGPU system won't always. But newer generations of cards have progressively better support and scaling. So a 7850 is the best choice. Because when you can go for crossfire 7850;s they will work better together than 6850's.
Sorry, you need to Log In to post a reply to this thread.