• Headphone Buying Megathread/Guide V4 - Come here for all your audio needs! (New Threads are not need
    4,875 replies, posted
I want a decent pair of headphones to use in the office and maybe on car journeys and shit, I'm probably gonna buy the [url=http://www.amazon.co.uk/Audio-Technica-ATH-M50X-Monitor-Professional-Headphones/dp/B00HVLUR86]Audio Technica ATH-M50x[/url]. I'm no audiophile, I just want decent sound for most genres, comfy, and doesn't leak sound. From what I've read these should fit that description but just thought I'd check here first and see if anyone had any input? Only other one I was sort of considering was the [url=http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-MDR-1A-Prestige-Overhead-Headphones/dp/B00N3WWG4U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1449618840&sr=8-1&keywords=sony+mdr-1a]Sony MDR-1A[/url], but they just seem more expensive and can't really be better reviewed than the M50x, also apparently the sony ones leak sound a bit. Anyone used either of these? Any advice? Thanks
[QUOTE=tom1029;49275345]I want a decent pair of headphones to use in the office and maybe on car journeys and shit, I'm probably gonna buy the [url=http://www.amazon.co.uk/Audio-Technica-ATH-M50X-Monitor-Professional-Headphones/dp/B00HVLUR86]Audio Technica ATH-M50x[/url]. I'm no audiophile, I just want decent sound for most genres, comfy, and doesn't leak sound. From what I've read these should fit that description but just thought I'd check here first and see if anyone had any input? Only other one I was sort of considering was the [url=http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-MDR-1A-Prestige-Overhead-Headphones/dp/B00N3WWG4U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1449618840&sr=8-1&keywords=sony+mdr-1a]Sony MDR-1A[/url], but they just seem more expensive and can't really be better reviewed than the M50x, also apparently the sony ones leak sound a bit. Anyone used either of these? Any advice? Thanks[/QUOTE] I don't have any experience with the Sony MDR-1A but here are my two cents on the M50's (same as M50x without the cable detachments). I've had the ATH-M50's for 3 years now, being the first proper headphones I got, and they're still going strong. I wanted something bass focused but still able to be well rounded for any type of music, which I feel they've been able to do for me. People have mentioned they clamp very hard when you first get them but that's easily fixed by stretching them for a period of time (quick search should be helpful). The pads are soft and comfortable when you first get them with good seal and minimal sound leak, but may get dry and harden over time leading to small cracks in the faux leather. Good thing they're so popular you can get replacement ones on ebay easily. Had mine for 3 years, yet to replace them once (I should really do that soon though). You get a small pouch to store them in which isn't ideal for protection on the go but they do the job if you're careful. Hard cases exists, but you have to buy these separate. Biggest annoyance for me is the awful 3 metre long cable which is a hassle to use on the go if situation arises, but that's been fixed with the coiled cable detachment you get with the M50x, (along with a straight cable you get in the box).
I feel like I'm the only one who prefers good studio monitors over headphones. I never get bleed from my mic which is awesome
[QUOTE=redBadger;49276367]I feel like I'm the only one who prefers good studio monitors over headphones. I never get bleed from my mic which is awesome[/QUOTE] It's usually an issue of whether or not you have conjoined walls with neighbors. I live in a townhouse and even though I have a 5.1 system, I barely use it ever because I don't want to disturb my neighbors. Plus, it's nice to have audio on the go. At least that's what I keep telling myself coming onto my 7th pair of head/earphones.
Pioneers SE-A1000 are a spectacular headphone, this cable is abysmal though, hopefully I'll get at it with a soldering iron at some point and rectify that problem.
[QUOTE=Cree8ive;49276256]I don't have any experience with the Sony MDR-1A but here are my two cents on the M50's (same as M50x without the cable detachments). I've had the ATH-M50's for 3 years now, being the first proper headphones I got, and they're still going strong. I wanted something bass focused but still able to be well rounded for any type of music, which I feel they've been able to do for me. People have mentioned they clamp very hard when you first get them but that's easily fixed by stretching them for a period of time (quick search should be helpful). The pads are soft and comfortable when you first get them with good seal and minimal sound leak, but may get dry and harden over time leading to small cracks in the faux leather. Good thing they're so popular you can get replacement ones on ebay easily. Had mine for 3 years, yet to replace them once (I should really do that soon though). You get a small pouch to store them in which isn't ideal for protection on the go but they do the job if you're careful. Hard cases exists, but you have to buy these separate. Biggest annoyance for me is the awful 3 metre long cable which is a hassle to use on the go if situation arises, but that's been fixed with the coiled cable detachment you get with the M50x, (along with a straight cable you get in the box).[/QUOTE] Awesome, they're coming tomorrow. Also tbh I like headphones that grip my head solidly. I hate the feeling that my headphones are on the verge of slipping off.
[QUOTE=Lone Wolf807;49266651]Got my O2/ODAC hooked up to my D2000's now. Sounds amazing, love these now. [t]http://imgkk.com/i/y5fd.jpg[/t][/QUOTE] Good to know you're enjoying them now!
Also my Sennheiser HD598SE arrived yesterday and wow they are great, I love them
[QUOTE=Havolis;49295706]Also my Sennheiser HD598SE arrived yesterday and wow they are great, I love them[/QUOTE] These DT990s are the most comfortable headphones I've ever worn.
So far I've been really liking my M50x, it works for music and good old audio mixing.
[QUOTE=garychencool;49296220]So far I've been really liking my M50x, it works for music and good old audio mixing.[/QUOTE] How's the cable management with the coiled attachment?
[QUOTE=Cree8ive;49298075]How's the cable management with the coiled attachment?[/QUOTE] I've only used it a few times but in general I use the 1.5m long cable for my music listening and keep the coiled cable in my backpack in case I need to plug it into an audio board. The coiled cable works, it doesn't get in the way or get awkwardly tangled, granted I barely stretch it to the max yet. Also I should keep the 1/4 to 3.5mm adapter that it comes with in my backpack, the current one doesn't have the twist lock so sometimes the 3.5mm part pops right off at the worst possible times.
[QUOTE=garychencool;49298525]I've only used it a few times but in general I use the 1.5m long cable for my music listening and keep the coiled cable in my backpack in case I need to plug it into an audio board. The coiled cable works, it doesn't get in the way or get awkwardly tangled, granted I barely stretch it to the max yet. Also I should keep the 1/4 to 3.5mm adapter that it comes with in my backpack, the current one doesn't have the twist lock so sometimes the 3.5mm part pops right off at the worst possible times.[/QUOTE] cool, i also got a m50x recently, so far it's the best headphone i purchased. I heard some people use some kind of amplification thingy, is that really needed for phone/pc?
[QUOTE=uitham;49301520]cool, i also got a m50x recently, so far it's the best headphone i purchased. I heard some people use some kind of amplification thingy, is that really needed for phone/pc?[/QUOTE] Needed? No, m50x is an easily driven phone that should work fine on just about anything you plug it in to. Preferred? Up to you really. Unless you carry around some high quality mp3s, flacs, etc with you on your phone or pc it might not be necessary to get some hardware for those phones.
just bought [url]http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ZGNX8XC/[/url] god damn how NICE are these VERY
I want some advice guys. I have always used earbuds but I have reached a point where they broke so fast that it's not worth it so I have decided to get a decent headphones for christmas along with a new iPod. If possible I'm looking for ones below 30$/30 euros. And also, do you know a good way to avoid earbuds goings dead so easily? I'm actuall using the ones that came with my phone and want them to resist as much as they can.
Right now I'm considering how it would be possible to use a Raspberry Pi or something similar as a central audio hub. I have some nice bluetooth speakers, what I was hoping to have was a system where the Pi is constantly connected to the speakers and has a large enough hard drive to have good music. It'll also be able to play music through spotify, youtube etc... either via apps or just webui. Now what I actually want to accomplish is to be able to make the Pi discoverable as a bluetooth device and if required route sound from all my devices through it. For when I use the speakers with my laptop for movies, or when a friend comes over and wants to play something they have without having to mess with anything. I wonder if this can easily be achieved?
[QUOTE=Seibitsu;49301917]I want some advice guys. I have always used earbuds but I have reached a point where they broke so fast that it's not worth it so I have decided to get a decent headphones for christmas along with a new iPod. If possible I'm looking for ones below 30$/30 euros. And also, do you know a good way to avoid earbuds goings dead so easily? I'm actuall using the ones that came with my phone and want them to resist as much as they can.[/QUOTE] if you want to go with ear buds still in the future [url]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QPHW63G[/url] you could try these ones I've had them for about a week now, have put good use into them however I can't say they're durable enough that they would last months and months just yet, after all I've only had them for one week, but they feel very sturdy and they sound excellent. I can easily see them lasting a long time. if it means anything, I've been using them cleaning a butchery, which is an extremely humid enviroment, and I've not had issues for the 20 or so hours I've put into them
[QUOTE=uitham;49301520]cool, i also got a m50x recently, so far it's the best headphone i purchased. I heard some people use some kind of amplification thingy, is that really needed for phone/pc?[/QUOTE] I don't have any amps or DACs for it at all, although I do plan on getting one at some point for at home listening. But usually I end up listening to the majority of the music off my phone.
[QUOTE=J!NX;49301971]if you want to go with ear buds still in the future [url]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QPHW63G[/url] you could try these ones I've had them for about a week now, have put good use into them however I can't say they're durable enough that they would last months and months just yet, after all I've only had them for one week, but they feel very sturdy and they sound excellent. I can easily see them lasting a long time. if it means anything, I've been using them cleaning a butchery, which is an extremely humid enviroment, and I've not had issues for the 20 or so hours I've put into them[/QUOTE] I don't know, I'm not sure if this is better than a Xiaomi Piston 3
[QUOTE=Havolis;49303030]I don't know, I'm not sure if this is better than a Xiaomi Piston 3[/QUOTE] but Wood is SEXY
[QUOTE=Seibitsu;49301917]I want some advice guys. I have always used earbuds but I have reached a point where they broke so fast that it's not worth it so I have decided to get a decent headphones for christmas along with a new iPod. If possible I'm looking for ones below 30$/30 euros. And also, do you know a good way to avoid earbuds goings dead so easily? I'm actuall using the ones that came with my phone and want them to resist as much as they can.[/QUOTE] Check out Head-Fi and their corrisponding DIY/Earbud threads. The new hot ticket is the VE Monk. Don't be put off by Aliexpress, Reputable Chinese earbuds are insane for what they cost. [editline]12th December 2015[/editline] I have a Tingo TG-38s, and they are amazing for ~$15. A little light on the bass, but the soundstage is great.
I'm gonna be in the market for another headset, is there anything better within the £20-30 range than these in terms of durability and audio quality?: [URL]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Microsoft-JUG-00014-LifeChat-LX-3000-Headset/dp/B000JSDOMO[/URL] Owned two pairs of them, unfortunately the second had an issue with the left/right ears swapping seemingly at random. I still use my old pair from about 4-5 years ago, literally held together with duct tape and wire and they're still just about fine bar the mic, which is why I needed them replaced in the first place. Anyway, they seem to have pretty good audio quality with decent bass compared to other cheap headsets; mic quality is great for general communication purposes and they can take quite a lot of punishment. Only major problem I have with them is that for at least a few months they're a bit too tight on my head and dig into my jaw just below the ears and it gets real fuckin uncomfortable after a while I'm no audiophile so the bar for audio quality (and spatialisation) a candidate would have to beat is these Willing to go up to £50, maybe £60 if it's [I]really[/I]​ worth the extra bars
[QUOTE=Havolis;49303030]I don't know, I'm not sure if this is better than a [B]Xiaomi Piston 3[/B][/QUOTE] I should go get one of these for mobile listening so I don't have to lug my M50x around all the time
[QUOTE=Morbo!!!;49304466]I'm gonna be in the market for another headset, is there anything better within the £20-30 range than these in terms of durability and audio quality?: [URL]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Microsoft-JUG-00014-LifeChat-LX-3000-Headset/dp/B000JSDOMO[/URL] Owned two pairs of them, unfortunately the second had an issue with the left/right ears swapping seemingly at random. I still use my old pair from about 4-5 years ago, literally held together with duct tape and wire and they're still just about fine bar the mic, which is why I needed them replaced in the first place. Anyway, they seem to have pretty good audio quality with decent bass compared to other cheap headsets; mic quality is great for general communication purposes and they can take quite a lot of punishment. Only major problem I have with them is that for at least a few months they're a bit too tight on my head and dig into my jaw just below the ears and it gets real fuckin uncomfortable after a while I'm no audiophile so the bar for audio quality (and spatialisation) a candidate would have to beat is these Willing to go up to £50, maybe £60 if it's [I]really[/I]​ worth the extra bars[/QUOTE] HyperX Cloud based off the Takstar pro 80 and is my go-to recommendation for a solid headset under $80/£60. [url]http://www.amazon.co.uk/HyperX-Cloud-Gaming-Headset-Mobile/dp/B00JJNQG98[/url]
For anyone who is about to buy the Xiaomi Piston 3, watch out for fakes. You can get a real one from Penon Audio.
[QUOTE=J!NX;49301867]just bought [URL]http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ZGNX8XC/[/URL] god damn how NICE are these VERY[/QUOTE] [QUOTE=J!NX;49301971]if you want to go with ear buds still in the future [URL]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QPHW63G[/URL] you could try these ones I've had them for about a week now, have put good use into them however I can't say they're durable enough that they would last months and months just yet, after all I've only had them for one week, but they feel very sturdy and they sound excellent. I can easily see them lasting a long time. if it means anything, I've been using them cleaning a butchery, which is an extremely humid enviroment, and I've not had issues for the 20 or so hours I've put into them[/QUOTE] oh boy i guess this is personal preference but damn if these aren't some of the ugliest headphones i've ever seen
It's not ~premium~ without [I]real[/I] wood and chrome (ed plastic).
Philips Fidelio X2's are on sale right now for $200USD if you've been on the edge. I would have bought one myself but my friend talked me out of it! (Decided to save up money for a new headphone amp.. Gustard H10) For quick specs, they're open cans with 30 ohms impedance and can be run easily on mobile devices and have been compared to HD600's on multiple occasions. [url]http://www.amazon.com/Philips-X2-27-Fidelio-Headphones/dp/B00O2Y2MZG[/url] Tyll's innerfidelity review: [url]http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/boss-philips-fidelio-x2#6imYX2bBioc63t1o.97[/url] EDIT: Whelp jk I just bought a pair, will give impressions after wednesday <3
X2's are more than worth it at 200 dollars. I actually paid more for them than I did my HD600's and I still think they were worth the price.
Sorry, you need to Log In to post a reply to this thread.