• CIPWTTKT&GC V45 - Intel APUs ruined everything
    5,750 replies, posted
[QUOTE=Brt5470;53166120]Thanks for clearing that up. Maybe I'll just do an X for home here, and move to a higher end model when I move. [editline]28th February 2018[/editline] Ok, if it's still only $100 bucks then I guess it'll be the lite. X makes me think it's higher end which confused me for a long time.[/QUOTE] The X has a better CPU so it can do openvpn and QoS stuff better, heres the comparison page: [url]https://www.ubnt.com/edgemax/comparison/[/url] Also never use Ubiquiti 24V PoE injectors, they are garbag and spew RFI. I can wipe out the DECT phones at work by plugging those PoE injectors in.
[QUOTE=Cakebatyr;53166135]The X has a better CPU so it can do openvpn and QoS stuff better, heres the comparison page: [url]https://www.ubnt.com/edgemax/comparison/[/url] Also never use Ubiquiti 24V PoE injectors, they are garbag and spew RFI. I can wipe out the DECT phones at work by plugging those PoE injectors in.[/QUOTE] The CPU is running at a higher frequency, however the device is inferior in every other regards, most importantly hw offload and routing speed. The Lite can actually do full gigabit routing, the ER-X can't.
😵
If price is an issue, the Mikrotik hEX (RB750Gr3) will do gigabit routing and 400 Mbps IPSEC VPN for $60. They also just announced the hAP ac², which has similar routing and slightly better VPN performance, but also dual band 2x2 WiFi for $70. They both have switch chips for line speed between LAN ports.
[url]https://dl.ubnt.com/Tolly212128UbiquitiEdgeRouterLitePricePerformanceVsMikroTik.pdf[/url] I don't believe the hEX has better performance than this Routerboard model. Considering it has a switch chip, it can't provide gigabit routing either.
[QUOTE=SEKCobra;53166549][url]https://dl.ubnt.com/Tolly212128UbiquitiEdgeRouterLitePricePerformanceVsMikroTik.pdf[/url] I don't believe the hEX has better performance than this Routerboard model. Considering it has a switch chip, it can't provide gigabit routing either.[/QUOTE] With the hEX, there's 2Gbps between the SoC and the switch chip, so it can take in 1Gbps on the "WAN" port and then the switched ports have another 1Gbps, so gigabit would be possible. The tests from that comparison were run before Mikrotik introduced fast path / fast track in 2015, which really helped out performance on older routers. For example, on the fairly popular (But older) RB2011 series, the max routing benchmark without fasttrack would be 358Mbps at 100% CPU usage, when fasttrack is enabled the benchmark would jump to 890Mbps with 86% CPU. According to the benchmarks provided by Mikrotik, the hEX will do 1035 Kpps at 529.9 Mbps with 64B packets and 162.4 Kpps at 1972.2 Mbps with 1518B packets, which is pretty close to that ERL for less money. They also have the RB3011 which is around $160 and is faster than the ERL, but of course more money.
Well like I mentioned maybe I'll just go with the basic X for this house and pick out something nicer for when I move.
Is running my GPU at 80C 24/7 going to reduce the lifespan noticably? I'm straight up running furmark to avoid freezing to death right now ([url=https://xkcd.com/1172/]obligatory[/url]), but I [i]really[/i] don't want my GPU to crap out. I can probably get that down to 60C by fixing my case fans, but I think I need to order a new fan controller + CPU fan. I don't want to shut it down right now to look into it properly :v:. [editline]28th February 2018[/editline] Ultimately I really need to yell at my fucking landlord because I'm pretty sure 10C room temperature isn't legally considered liveable, but this gets me to 16C which is mostly fine, just a bit cold on the hands.
You're going to kill your fans before the card, IMO. Also you'd probably dump more heat into your room with better cooling as more heat is leaving the chip and being vented. After all, it's all about heat energy, not temperature. A 80c single core CPU doesn't heat your room more than an 18core CPU under liquid cooling at 50c.
[QUOTE=Tobba;53167683]Is running my GPU at 80C 24/7 going to reduce the lifespan noticably? I'm straight up running furmark to avoid freezing to death right now ([url=https://xkcd.com/1172/]obligatory[/url]), but I [i]really[/i] don't want my GPU to crap out right now. I can probably get that down to 60C by fixing my case fans, but I think I need to order a new fan controller + CPU fan. I don't want to shut it down right now to look into it properly :v:. [editline]28th February 2018[/editline] Ultimately I really need to yell at my fucking landlord because I'm pretty sure 10C room temperature isn't legally considered liveable, but this gets me to 16C which is mostly fine, just a bit cold on the hands.[/QUOTE] Why not run a miner instead of furmark? Should be the same sort of heat generated, and you'd maybe make a few bucks back. I can sympathize because my heat was also out for an entire month during the winter (shitty home warranty company, not shitty landlord directly), and I seriously considered mining as a heat source. Fortunately for me it never got cold enough outdoors for it to come to that. - thanks, global warming!
Only if it's throttling, which it might be. Otherwise it's dumping off the same thermal energy regardless, but some fans would probably help circulate the air. [editline]28th February 2018[/editline] I considered running a miner but it still feels dirty to do when someone else is paying for the power, even if they're assholes.
[QUOTE=Tobba;53167826]I considered running a miner but it still feels dirty to do when someone else is paying for the power, even if they're assholes.[/QUOTE] The cost to them is the same whether you're running a miner, Furmark, or however many copies of ZDoom it takes to max out whatever your video card is. Might as well make some fake money off of it.
Of course, but it still somehow feels dirty to run a miner somehow, even if it doesn't actually make a difference to them. Realtalk though, I never knew just how badly the cold fucks with your head, turns out it's pretty damn dangerous. I've been waking up when it's 14-16C indoors (~-12C outside) and then getting slowly chilled to 10-12C, which apparently just makes you feel like shit without a discernable cause. Last night I didn't feel cold even though my fingertips were numb and I couldn't walk straight; took like ~30 minutes for that to click. Should probably see a doctor but I think I got away with only first degree frostbite / frostnip on my fingers (i.e superficial).
yes hi if you're getting frostbite on your hands the solution isn't run a miner or furmark it is call your tenant protection agency/local equivalent of county attorney general's office/others
[QUOTE=LordCrypto;53167980]yes hi if you're getting frostbite on your hands the solution isn't run a miner or furmark it is call your tenant protection agency/local equivalent of county attorney general's office/others[/QUOTE] I'm mitigating it first for obvious reasons, but yeah I'm not exactly fucking happy about that. Also not sure if it actually counts as frostbite without literal freezing being involved. Didn't really realize how bad it got until just now though.
So I was working on some migration scripts from an old, crusty, slow-as-balls badly-coded hacky PHP custom solution to a new, clean, fast, polished but-still-fucking-PHP custom solution, and I found an "interesting" issue in the former. "Interesting", in this case, means a brief "holy shit are we losing five grand a month because of a stupid design defect?" panic. It turns out, no, we aren't bleeding money because whoever built this thing had no idea how databases work, but only because our entire pricing system is a clusterfuck, to the point that I was able to ask four sources what the prices are and got [I]five[/I] different answers. Yeah. Tomorrow is also going to be "interesting".
[QUOTE=gman003-main;53168523]So I was working on some migration scripts from an old, crusty, slow-as-balls badly-coded hacky PHP custom solution to a new, clean, fast, polished but-still-fucking-PHP custom solution, and I found an "interesting" issue in the former. "Interesting", in this case, means a brief "holy shit are we losing five grand a month because of a stupid design defect?" panic. It turns out, no, we aren't bleeding money because whoever built this thing had no idea how databases work, but only because our entire pricing system is a clusterfuck, to the point that I was able to ask four sources what the prices are and got [I]five[/I] different answers. Yeah. Tomorrow is also going to be "interesting".[/QUOTE] Pricing is a fucking pain in the ass and I hate it with a passion. Only thing that's worse is payroll because half of it was a shit outsourced thing. Code and DB structure are both not following our style guide so for someone new to it finding shit is annoying as fuck. Things that should've been queries are stored as results of pre calced sums that need to be updated manually if something changes. Also use transactions for fuck sake, updating the db in a loop and returning on error is not ok, especially in something as gmportant as payroll. Moral of the story: keep that shit in house for the sanity of your developers.
I'm just surprised that, as completely fucked as the code side of it is, the business side managed to be even [I]less[/I] on the ball. May as well explain things if I'm going this deep. So we do a lot of shipping, enough to have a special deal with FedEx. Seriously, the FedEx rep buys our whole company lunch like once a month. Pricing consists of several parts, including shipping charges from clients. Our sales guys have the ability to set special pricing on each client. The idiot who built the old system just slapped a JSON field into the clients table (and also the users table, for some reason?) that contains the full pricing list. Not just what is non-default - every thing we have a price for. Guess what? Prices change. FedEx rates change about once a year. But all those customers that got entered five years ago? Unless someone on the sales team went in and manually updated their prices, they're still getting charged what they were back then. Yet somehow, that's still better than the business side. 1) The sales guys just use an undated price sheet printout when giving out quotes. It seems to be at least two years old. 2) The low-level manager thinks the FedEx prices got raised since then but couldn't find the current numbers 3) We dug into the top-level manager's office (she was gone for the day by this point) and according to the meter-high stack of FedEx invoices, we're actually getting charged by weight and not the fixed rate we were supposedly quoted 4) The most common values in the database contradict all of the above, and that's what we're actually billing our customers Long story short, there's a reason we are currently in month 26 of a three-month project.
I forget, which is the least shit, LibreOffice or OpenOffice? I just need to create some spreadsheets so a simple free program would be useful. If anyone has better suggestions than those two, I'd be happy to hear it.
Libre. Libre is made by the original OpenOffice devs IIRC That said, I stick to either Google Docs or Office these days.
[QUOTE=Tobba;53167948]Of course, but it still somehow feels dirty to run a miner somehow, even if it doesn't actually make a difference to them. Realtalk though, I never knew just how badly the cold fucks with your head, turns out it's pretty damn dangerous. I've been waking up when it's 14-16C indoors (~-12C outside) and then getting slowly chilled to 10-12C, which apparently just makes you feel like shit without a discernable cause. Last night I didn't feel cold even though my fingertips were numb and I couldn't walk straight; took like ~30 minutes for that to click. Should probably see a doctor but I think I got away with only first degree frostbite / frostnip on my fingers (i.e superficial).[/QUOTE] Do you not have a bedsheet? While it certainly isn't a temperature an inhabited place should ever reach, those temps are no problem to sleep in with a proper bedsheet. [editline]1st March 2018[/editline] Also sleeping bags are a thing.
[QUOTE=SuperDuperScoot;53168796]I forget, which is the least shit, LibreOffice or OpenOffice? I just need to create some spreadsheets so a simple free program would be useful. If anyone has better suggestions than those two, I'd be happy to hear it.[/QUOTE] OpenOffice.org is dead Apache OpenOffice is meh LibreOffice is pretty active.
[QUOTE=Tobba;53167683]Is running my GPU at 80C 24/7 going to reduce the lifespan noticably? I'm straight up running furmark to avoid freezing to death right now ([url=https://xkcd.com/1172/]obligatory[/url]), but I [i]really[/i] don't want my GPU to crap out. I can probably get that down to 60C by fixing my case fans, but I think I need to order a new fan controller + CPU fan. I don't want to shut it down right now to look into it properly :v:. [editline]28th February 2018[/editline] Ultimately I really need to yell at my fucking landlord because I'm pretty sure 10C room temperature isn't legally considered liveable, but this gets me to 16C which is mostly fine, just a bit cold on the hands.[/QUOTE] Unironically I'm doing the same shit but with pubg's main menu, if you alt tab it maxes your gpu usage. Our boiler broke 3 days ago so we've got absolutely no heating in this house, luckily getting it replaced this weekend but damn I've never seen my system idle at these temps before, its impressive and concerning. :v: Also to give an idea, its currently -7 outside with a fuckload of snow.
We finally got a proper winter after a few years of having the muddy not-so-cold ones. Nights are around -20C, a bit out of the city and people are getting -25C, some even more. Stepping out from the house can be a 50 degree difference. Not that i'm complaining, the days are sunny and beautiful.
I don't get how ANZ are this fucking shit. We have two (or more) clients using them for banking, both want to import credit card transactions to the ledger. First one has had it going for a while, ANZ allows them to download a CSV with all the info we need (including full card numbers) just like the other half dozen banks people requested support for. Second one wanted to get it set up, after going back to ANZ multiple times apparently the best they can get is the last 4 digits and only in excel files. Extra processing to generate, extra processing to parse, extra processing to find the card. Why.
-snip-
Ok ordered the ER-X. So I plug my current router (just in AP mode) into Eth0, 1, or 2. Then plug our Modem into another one... and that's it? Now I'm wondering if I could get a separate switch.
[QUOTE=Brt5470;53169837]Ok ordered the ER-X. So I plug my current router (just in AP mode) into Eth0, 1, or 2. Then plug our Modem into another one... and that's it? Now I'm wondering if I could get a separate switch.[/QUOTE] Its whichever interface you configure as your WAN interface.
[QUOTE=Brt5470;53169837]Ok ordered the ER-X. So I plug my current router (just in AP mode) into Eth0, 1, or 2. Then plug our Modem into another one... and that's it? Now I'm wondering if I could get a separate switch.[/QUOTE] Conveniently the Edgerouter lite at work kicked the bucket today, most likely the internal USB storage corrupted itself somehow because I can't even get it to fix itself with a hard reset. Luckily these things are cheap enough that I have a spare at home.
But you guys are generally liking the ERX now? It's been a minute since I used one, preordered one when they were announced and it was a shitshow but that's par for ubnt firmware 1.
Sorry, you need to Log In to post a reply to this thread.