• Fujitsu Amilo Pi 3650 - e-GPU/upgrade?
    9 replies, posted
This doesn't quite qualify for "PC building" so I am posting it here. If the mods see an issue with that they are more than welcome to move it. As you might have deduced from the title I have a [b]Fujitsu Amilo Pi 3650[/b], which isn't quite living up to my standards. Now, I do know it's unorthodox to want to upgrade a laptop instead of buying a tower. But I just don't have the funds for something like that. What I am looking for is some advice on how to upgrade the GPU. I am aware that the CPU isn't upgrade-able as it's glued on etc. I have been "looking in to" [b]e-GPU's[/b] but I have no idea where to start, and I am not sure if it is possible to replace my current GPU. [b]Fujitsu Amilo Pi 3650 specs: OS: MS Windows 7 64-bit CPU: Intel Mobile Core 2 Duo T6600 @ 2.20GHz RAM: 4.0GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 398MHz Motherboard: FUJITSU EF7A (U2E1) Graphics (GPU): NVIDIA GeForce GT 240M Hard drive: 488GB Fujitsu MJA2500BH G2 SATA[/b] [b]TL;DR[/b] I am a fucking moron who bought a laptop instead of a tower a few years ago and want to upgrade the GPU.
Not really worth it. An eGPU will require you to have: A PSU, GPU, Monitor and whatever else you need to hook it up to the laptop. At that point you're just a motherboard, CPU, HDD and case away from a PC. edit: and RAM
[QUOTE=Shadaez;35796630]Not really worth it. An eGPU will require you to have: A PSU, GPU, Monitor and whatever else you need to hook it up to the laptop. At that point you're just a motherboard, CPU, HDD and case away from a PC.[/QUOTE] As I said I am aware of how "unorthodox" this is. I would save more money like this though. Even if I build a new computer from scratch picking every component myself, i'd save money either upgrading the current GPU or getting an e-GPU. Even if what I save isn't a lot, it's something. I am on a tight budget here. (Don't think I am discarding you advice, it is helpful but not what I am looking for.)
And what's the budget?
[QUOTE=Shadaez;35796806]And what's the budget?[/QUOTE] Sounds silly, but I can't pay too little. At the time I am practically broke when it comes to computer components. I might be able to buy the components (GPU, CPU and PSU) one at a time, with a month between. As that's when I get paid. Basically (ignorant as it sounds) I need general advice on what I can do with as little as possible. And using my current laptop as base for that.
[QUOTE=huyu;35796548]What I am looking for is some advice on how to upgrade the GPU. I am aware that the CPU isn't upgrade-able as it's glued on etc.[/QUOTE] Lmao, "glued on"? Most laptop CPUs are in sockets. Yours specifically would be a Socket P, which is upgradeable. Your laptop has an Intel PM45 chipset and can support up to a T9900 dual core (3.06 GHz x 2): [url]http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-T9900-SLGEE-PGA-Express-Worldwide-Intel-Core-2-Duo-3-06G-T9800-T9600-/280869610923?pt=CPUs&hash=item41652225ab[/url] or a Q9100 (2.26 GHz x 4) [url]http://www.ebay.com/itm/INTEL-CORE-QUAD-Q9100-2-26GHZ-12M-QAVK-ES-MOBILE-CPU-processor-laptop-monkey-/130680900113?pt=CPUs&hash=item1e6d304a11[/url]
[QUOTE=bohb;35801789]Lmao, "glued on"? Most laptop CPUs are in sockets. Yours specifically would be a Socket P, which is upgradeable. Your laptop has an Intel PM45 chipset and can support up to a T9900 dual core (3.06 GHz x 2): [url]http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-T9900-SLGEE-PGA-Express-Worldwide-Intel-Core-2-Duo-3-06G-T9800-T9600-/280869610923?pt=CPUs&hash=item41652225ab[/url] or a Q9100 (2.26 GHz x 4) [url]http://www.ebay.com/itm/INTEL-CORE-QUAD-Q9100-2-26GHZ-12M-QAVK-ES-MOBILE-CPU-processor-laptop-monkey-/130680900113?pt=CPUs&hash=item1e6d304a11[/url][/QUOTE] This is great news, I've been told that it's probably either glued on or soldered in a manner which makes removal hell. Do you have anything on the GPU?
Some laptops do have the CPU soldered on the motherboard, usually on a BGA package. Laptops with socketed CPUs generally either have the CPU located on the bottom of the laptop and hidden by a door, or under the keyboard. Most laptops generally have soldered in GPUs that can't be upgraded, so you're likely stuck. Very few high end laptops have mini-PCIe slots and have the GPU on a proprietary card, but finding a better version that's compatible with the laptop in question is nearly impossible, assuming it can tolerate the extra heat output.
[QUOTE=bohb;35804628]Some laptops do have the CPU soldered on the motherboard, usually on a BGA package. Laptops with socketed CPUs generally either have the CPU located on the bottom of the laptop and hidden by a door, or under the keyboard. Most laptops generally have soldered in GPUs that can't be upgraded, so you're likely stuck. Very few high end laptops have mini-PCIe slots and have the GPU on a proprietary card, but finding a better version that's compatible with the laptop in question is nearly impossible, assuming it can tolerate the extra heat output.[/QUOTE] Well I do have a mini-PCIe slot atleast. But I am unsure of whether the GPU is on a proprietary card or not.(Unless it is as I suspect and me having a PCIe slot means the GPU IS on a proprietary card.)
That "proprietary" card is called MXM actually.
Sorry, you need to Log In to post a reply to this thread.