• CIPWTTKT&GC V43 - WHERE IS MY THINKPAD?
    5,002 replies, posted
[QUOTE=Protocol7;52403411]How old is the SSD? I thought older SSDs had some compatibility issues with more modern systems. Though the Sandy Bridge chipset might be old enough to be fine.[/QUOTE] It's like 3 months old. It's a Samsung 850 Evo. Also I was mistaken about one of these new computers. It's actually an i5 650! I don't really think there will be a problem. I'm mostly mildly worried about any incompatibility issues from the old AMD hardware and the newer Intel stuff on a driver level.
I'm really fed up with the creators update at this point. There's been so many times lately that the answer to some new feature or menu being laughably broken or straight missing features has been "manually navigate to the old control panel items"
[QUOTE=Levelog;52403564]I'm really fed up with the creators update at this point. There's been so many times lately that the answer to some new feature or menu being laughably broken or straight missing features has been "manually navigate to the old control panel items"[/QUOTE] It's an unfortunate mindset in W10 right now. The Settings menu is pretty lacking so you're forced into looking at the old control panel, and I can't help but think that MS is slow to bring Settings up to date because "well people can still use control panel anyways"
[QUOTE=Brt5470;52403590]It's an unfortunate mindset in W10 right now. The Settings menu is pretty lacking so you're forced into looking at the old control panel, and I can't help but think that MS is slow to bring Settings up to date because "well people can still use control panel anyways"[/QUOTE] Yeah, it's really all on MS. Don't push some half baked bullshit as the forced default and hide away actual functional menus.
I bought a new shaver today (cheap cordless one from LIDL) to replace my old shaver (cheap corded one from a random online shop) because the bathroom only has one mains plug and you'd need an extension cord to fix your face in front of the mirror. The old corded one had a power supply that puts out a few volts, enough to drive the motor. The new cordless one has a charge port on it, and you can use the device while it's charging. But it's a direct mains input. Two prong, from the wall, straight to the shaver. 230VAC. In the bathroom. The instruction booklet is full of "do not use when wet", but I think we all know that 99% of people aren't smart enough to follow instructions. I wonder how that's legal.
I've had a Braun for like 8 years, still works great
[QUOTE=nikomo;52403655]I bought a new shaver today (cheap cordless one from LIDL) to replace my old shaver (cheap corded one from a random online shop) because the bathroom only has one mains plug and you'd need an extension cord to fix your face in front of the mirror. The old corded one had a power supply that puts out a few volts, enough to drive the motor. The new cordless one has a charge port on it, and you can use the device while it's charging. But it's a direct mains input. Two prong, from the wall, straight to the shaver. 230VAC. In the bathroom. The instruction booklet is full of "do not use when wet", but I think we all know that 99% of people aren't smart enough to follow instructions. I wonder how that's legal.[/QUOTE] It's double insulated and probably intrinsically safe anyway.
i just swear by a dorco pace razor a cartridge lasts like 3 weeks
I'm a sucker and I bought Gilette blades D:
[QUOTE=SEKCobra;52403809]I'm a sucker and I bought Gilette blades D:[/QUOTE] I switched to these after dealing with a shitty electric razor for 2 years and haven't had any razor burn since.
I only use it to shave my neck, soooo
[QUOTE=SEKCobra;52403809]I'm a sucker and I bought Gilette blades D:[/QUOTE] And this is suppose to be bad because...?
Shaving? But if I shave, my beard will never surpass Stallman's!
[QUOTE=B!N4RY;52404204]And this is suppose to be bad because...?[/QUOTE] [URL="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Razor_and_blades_model"]Expensive.[/URL]
[QUOTE=gman003-main;52404222]Shaving? But if I shave, my beard will never surpass Stallman's![/QUOTE] That's... really kinda gross.
[QUOTE=wingless;52404239]That's... really kinda gross.[/QUOTE] I actually do keep it shaped up with an electric trimmer. But that wasn't as funny.
recommend laptop for university computer science, upper limit of cost probably $2500, minimum screen size 15", should last me 4–5 years but complete futureproofing not necessary thinking some sort of Dell XPS 15 but there's also the new Razer Blade Stealth (overpriced if I had to guess), Lenovo Legion Y520, [url=https://www.massdrop.com/buy/msi-gt73vr-17-3-120hz-titan-017-gaming-laptop?1=1&utm_placement=3&referer=HFJHY9&mode=guest_open&utm_campaign=Automated%20Daily%20Promotional%202017-06-23&utm_source=SparkPost&utm_medium=email&utm_term=Daily%20Promotional&utm_content=1498215023676.165653375933254502344123]this thing with 16 hrs left on Massdrop[/url] or any other things you may recommend
if it's just for computer science you'd literally be fine with a $125 Thinkpad :v: If you wanna spend the money anyway tho the Dell XPS 15 is a pretty superb laptop.
I'm a casual shaver, like when shit start to be a nuisance I skip the beard maintenance and just cut the entire thing and let it grow back.
Don't get a gaming laptop, they have shit battery life, they're way heavier than non-gaming laptops, and the chance that you're actually going to be gaming on the go is pretty low. Plus, if you get a laptop with Thunderbolt 3 (e.g. the XPS 15, though the XPS 15's is half speed), you can get an external GPU if you want. [editline].[/editline] automerge machine broke Past all that I will mention I really like MacOS for my computer science work (I'm running Hackintosh on a Thinkpad X220) so maybe a used MacBook Pro wouldn't be a bad idea either.
[QUOTE=Cronos Dage;52404302]recommend laptop for university computer science, upper limit of cost probably $2500, minimum screen size 15", should last me 4–5 years but complete futureproofing not necessary thinking some sort of Dell XPS 15 but there's also the new Razer Blade Stealth (overpriced if I had to guess), Lenovo Legion Y520, [url=https://www.massdrop.com/buy/msi-gt73vr-17-3-120hz-titan-017-gaming-laptop?1=1&utm_placement=3&referer=HFJHY9&mode=guest_open&utm_campaign=Automated%20Daily%20Promotional%202017-06-23&utm_source=SparkPost&utm_medium=email&utm_term=Daily%20Promotional&utm_content=1498215023676.165653375933254502344123]this thing with 16 hrs left on Massdrop[/url] or any other things you may recommend[/QUOTE] Everyone will probs disagree but I don't think you can go wrong with a MacBook Pro (with Windows on Bootcamp). I'm still using my 2010 MBP and it does the job quite well tbh.
[QUOTE=Dorkslayz;52404345]Everyone will probs disagree but I don't think you can go wrong with a MacBook Pro (with Windows on Bootcamp). I'm still using my 2010 MBP and it does the job quite well tbh.[/QUOTE] No I agree actually I really enjoy macOS because it provides me with almost all the benefits of Linux (mainly a proper development environment and tools, especially once you install Mac Homebrew), alongside most of the benefits of Windows (industry standard software like Autodesk stuff) without the need to reboot.
macOS is great for CS, super relevant because you'll probably be using a unix-like OS depending on what you do tho look at their curriculum. at my uni you have to use visual studio for the first intro to C++ class that we have and that requires windows
[QUOTE=SEKCobra;52403809]I'm a sucker and I bought Gilette blades D:[/QUOTE] Benefits of being blonde. I just use my Wahl hair trimmer I'd normally use for a haircut on my beard and people think I shaved.
Plus it'll easily last you 5+ years and still be relevant
[QUOTE=Dr. Evilcop;52404354]No I agree actually I really enjoy macOS because it provides me with almost all the benefits of Linux (mainly a proper development environment and tools, especially once you install Mac Homebrew), alongside most of the benefits of Windows (industry standard software like Autodesk stuff) without the need to reboot.[/QUOTE] I have a dozen 2010–2012 Macs but they would probably be too sluggish for this sort of thing [QUOTE=Dorkslayz;52404366]Plus it'll easily last you 5+ years and still be relevant[/QUOTE] I don't think I've ever owned a Mac that felt relevant after five years except for a G4, unless we're talking its use as a word processor for university note-taking, webdev, and basic command line stuff [QUOTE=Dr. Evilcop;52404342]Don't get a gaming laptop, they have shit battery life, they're way heavier than non-gaming laptops[/QUOTE] yeah that's what I thought. I'll definitely get the one XPS 15 9550 or 9560 models and see if it has that $20 fingerprint scanner add-in for Windows Hello, then add Arch for fun and decide if macOS is still worth its beautiful interface (daily driver is mid 2010 iMac on Sierra :pudge:) [editline]26th June 2017[/editline] 4k touchscreen laptops are a meme right
[QUOTE=Cronos Dage;52404302]recommend laptop for university computer science, upper limit of cost probably $2500, minimum screen size 15", should last me 4–5 years but complete futureproofing not necessary thinking some sort of Dell XPS 15 but there's also the new Razer Blade Stealth (overpriced if I had to guess), Lenovo Legion Y520, [url=https://www.massdrop.com/buy/msi-gt73vr-17-3-120hz-titan-017-gaming-laptop?1=1&utm_placement=3&referer=HFJHY9&mode=guest_open&utm_campaign=Automated%20Daily%20Promotional%202017-06-23&utm_source=SparkPost&utm_medium=email&utm_term=Daily%20Promotional&utm_content=1498215023676.165653375933254502344123]this thing with 16 hrs left on Massdrop[/url] or any other things you may recommend[/QUOTE] If 'for university' means taking it places a lot, i would definitely stay away from the anything above 15inch. The Lenovo Legion Y520 is pushing it ... the Dell XPS 15 might get away with the 15'6 inch screen, because at least that has super tiny edges.
surface book windows subsystem for linux, visual studio, touchscreen and pen what more could you want
4k touchscreens are definitely a meme Also just looked on eBay and new late 2016 MacBook Pros will actually go for $1,500 buy it now which isn't too bad a price tbh.
[QUOTE=Cronos Dage;52404444]I don't think I've ever owned a Mac that felt relevant after five years except for a G4, unless we're talking its use as a word processor for university note-taking, webdev, and basic command line stuff[/QUOTE] Essentially isn't that what you want it for though?
Sorry, you need to Log In to post a reply to this thread.