• Mapping Question Megathread v4
    7,148 replies, posted
Default Animation cardboardtheory
Quick question: How do i build AI pathways for CSGO In hammer i have tried placing nodes with links and then tried editing them using map_edit, but nothing ever displays, like the commands don't work, also bots seem to ignore the already placed nodes.
Is there a way to pause a scrolling texture? I have a scrolling texture that I need to be able to freeze (pause) and then resume again through I/O. Is this possible?
[QUOTE=Matt2468rv;44331591]Is there a way to pause a scrolling texture? I have a scrolling texture that I need to be able to freeze (pause) and then resume again through I/O. Is this possible?[/QUOTE] [url]https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Material_modify_control[/url]
[QUOTE=seba079;44331798][URL]https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Material_modify_control[/URL][/QUOTE] So how exactly could I use this to pause and resume a scrolling texture? Can it pause the scrolling proxy? It looks like it's only used to modify shaders... Could an animated (not scrolling) texture somehow be stopped and then resume from the frame it was paused on? This would be an alternative way of going about it.
[QUOTE=Gibbatron;44331429]Quick question: How do i build AI pathways for CSGO In hammer i have tried placing nodes with links and then tried editing them using map_edit, but nothing ever displays, like the commands don't work, also bots seem to ignore the already placed nodes.[/QUOTE] [URL="https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Navigation_Meshes"]Navigation Meshes[/URL]
Hi all. So I remember doing some mapping about a year or two ago and when you made a displacement with a grass texture it would automatically add these little detail sprites (grass) ingame. Is that now broken or something? I can't seem to get it working.
[QUOTE=Matt2468rv;44332097]So how exactly could I use this to pause and resume a scrolling texture? Can it pause the scrolling proxy? It looks like it's only used to modify shaders... Could an animated (not scrolling) texture somehow be stopped and then resume from the frame it was paused on? This would be an alternative way of going about it.[/QUOTE] Well the way it *should* work is you create a variable, for example $variablescrollrate, and under the TextureScroll proxy you'd set texturescrollrate to $variablescrollrate; then the material_modify_control, with the appropriate keyvalues set as necessary, would receive SetMaterialVar inputs and the texture would react to the inputs. However, after playing around with this for an hour or so, I couldn't get it to work. Might have to do with me using the TF2 engine, or maybe I'm doing something wrong - either way, it doesn't work for me. As for your problem, you can just take the easy way out and create two brushes, one with a static material and one with a scrolling material, then disable one and enable the other. [editline]24th March 2014[/editline] I'll keep working on it, maybe try it in HL2. I'll let you guys know how it goes.
Dumb question, but how do I make a func_door_rotating open towards the player and close away from him? Like a kitchen cabinet where you don't shove the drawer through your kitchen and all. Except this is a large cabinet where the player can walk inside.
[QUOTE=MillySoose;44334799]Dumb question, but how do I make a func_door_rotating open towards the player and close away from him? Like a kitchen cabinet where you don't shove the drawer through your kitchen and all. Except this is a large cabinet where the player can walk inside.[/QUOTE] There's a field in the entity properties which allows you to choose whether the door will open inward or outward. Is that what you're after? I think there might also be a flag which prevents the door from being opened the wrong way from the closed side.
[QUOTE=MillySoose;44334799]Dumb question, but how do I make a func_door_rotating open towards the player and close away from him? Like a kitchen cabinet where you don't shove the drawer through your kitchen and all. Except this is a large cabinet where the player can walk inside.[/QUOTE] There's a flag called "One Way" check mark that and then test in game if it's opening the wrong direction go ahead and check mark the "Reverse Direction" as well. Edit: Well gee I'm top of the page this time around I guess. Here take these really old screen grabs from very early testing of a new game mode and maps that will never see the light of day since I can't show anything recent yet. [t]http://i.imgur.com/jjERTE8.png[/t] [t]http://i.imgur.com/yLaCoSo.png[/t] Credit goes to Earkham for that last one.
[QUOTE=seba079;44334271]Well the way it *should* work is you create a variable, for example $variablescrollrate, and under the TextureScroll proxy you'd set texturescrollrate to $variablescrollrate; then the material_modify_control, with the appropriate keyvalues set as necessary, would receive SetMaterialVar inputs and the texture would react to the inputs. However, after playing around with this for an hour or so, I couldn't get it to work. Might have to do with me using the TF2 engine, or maybe I'm doing something wrong - either way, it doesn't work for me. As for your problem, you can just take the easy way out and create two brushes, one with a static material and one with a scrolling material, then disable one and enable the other. [editline]24th March 2014[/editline] I'll keep working on it, maybe try it in HL2. I'll let you guys know how it goes.[/QUOTE] Thanks for playing around with this! The problem with enabling and disabling a scrolling and static brush is that it needs to start animating again right where it left off, and the "jump" when the scrolling texture is disabled would be highly noticeable. I tried to get this effect working by using a bunch of func_tracktrains spawning one after the other, but it's buggy. Sometimes there are gaps between the pieces and sometimes it works correctly. It's inconsistent, which is why I'm looking for another way to accomplish this.
[QUOTE=Graviton;44332349]Hi all. So I remember doing some mapping about a year or two ago and when you made a displacement with a grass texture it would automatically add these little detail sprites (grass) ingame. Is that now broken or something? I can't seem to get it working.[/QUOTE] This still works for me, but I always use the one grass texture. What engine are you mapping in? I'll find out which texture it is when I'm back home
[QUOTE=selfdestruk1;44336588]This still works for me, but I always use the one grass texture. What engine are you mapping in? I'll find out which texture it is when I'm back home[/QUOTE] Hey there - thanks for the reply. I had a little look into it. I'm building my map in MP SDK2013 and copying over to Double Action: Boogaloo. When the map loads it spams the console with an error message about how it couldn't find the detail sprite, so I think I either need to pakrat it or shove it into boogaloo's files. I'm stuck with another problem now. Anyone know why my glass cubemaps are doing this? [img_thumb]http://i.imgur.com/LtP6IQ0.jpg[/img_thumb] when everything else is fine? [img_thumb]http://i.imgur.com/axKtXcQ.jpg[/img_thumb] Probably worth mentioning that when I buildcubemaps (using the instructions on this page [url]http://forums.doubleactiongame.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=636[/url]), I get an error in the console stating that some cubemaps could not be removed, even though I'm using -nocubemaps to compile. I read that this can be caused by having two env_cubemaps in the exact same place, but there's no such instance on my map. These don't seem to be present in the BSP either, as I tried deleting them manually with pakrat. I'm using glass/glasswindowbreak070a. Would appreciate any help.
Remove the -nocubemaps?
[QUOTE=onebit;44338167]Remove the -nocubemaps?[/QUOTE] Did a fast compile without -nocubemap and still got the console error. See pic. Seems no cubemaps at all were generated for some reason. [img_thumb]http://i.imgur.com/bFb6upK.jpg[/img_thumb]
Make sure your Steam folder isn't Read Only. [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/X7zXKcJ.png[/IMG]
[QUOTE=Mesiter;44292960]so without any notice hammer started acting up. it worked fine yesterday, but when i opened hammer a few moments ago and started moving things in the viewports it went haywire. The viewports flicker and seem to alternate between the other viewports enabled, making it impossible to map. need a fix asap[/QUOTE] I fixed it, switched to integrated graphics for hammer. Stupid nvidia, fucking up everything with their drivers just so I can play CoD in 3D with "in-depth laser sight". They should quit this cargo cult programming, rolling in more useless shit in every new driver.
There's probably an easy way to fix this but I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong here I'm trying to edit the lights.rad file to change the lighting intensity of one of the fluorescent light textures. I'm mapping for Half Life 2: Episode 2, and I went into the directory, edited lights.rad and made the intensity 25 (original was 400 or something). When I compiled the map, there was no difference in the brightness. I tried completely removing the entry for that texture, but it's still emitting light. Where is the correct lights.rad I'm supposed to be editing?
When I try to use the clipping tool on some objects it doesn't seperate them, instead it just draws a line where I did the cut (I did press enter) see top left [url]http://i.imgur.com/tE8iC6C.png[/url]
[QUOTE=MillySoose;44344793]When I try to use the clipping tool on some objects it doesn't seperate them, instead it just draws a line where I did the cut (I did press enter) see top left [url]http://i.imgur.com/tE8iC6C.png[/url][/QUOTE] you split the brush, draw your cutting line, and hit the clip tool button until the piece you want to keep is highlighted white, then hit enter
[QUOTE=Guy123;44344169]There's probably an easy way to fix this but I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong here I'm trying to edit the lights.rad file to change the lighting intensity of one of the fluorescent light textures. I'm mapping for Half Life 2: Episode 2, and I went into the directory, edited lights.rad and made the intensity 25 (original was 400 or something). When I compiled the map, there was no difference in the brightness. I tried completely removing the entry for that texture, but it's still emitting light. Where is the correct lights.rad I'm supposed to be editing?[/QUOTE] And you are using [code]-lights <filename>.rad[/code] on compile in the command line?
Can you shift an object by a smaller-than-grid size to avoid clipping? I've seen some objects placed slightly outside the grid to do that when they raise / lower. I think I need to edit the vmf, but I'm not sure which values to change. This is what dimensions look like in the vmf. "plane" "(158 141 196) (158 181 196) (158 181 244)" Maybe someone could explain each of the sets of values?
[QUOTE=MillySoose;44346400]Can you shift an object by a smaller-than-grid size to avoid clipping? I've seen some objects placed slightly outside the grid to do that when they raise / lower. I think I need to edit the vmf, but I'm not sure which values to change. This is what dimensions look like in the vmf. "plane" "(158 141 196) (158 181 196) (158 181 244)" Maybe someone could explain each of the sets of values?[/QUOTE] you're talking about moving something without hammer grid constraints? Hold alt while moving it around and it will move freely. However make sure not to do this with world geometry.
[QUOTE=wazanator;44345797]And you are using [code]-lights <filename>.rad[/code] on compile in the command line?[/QUOTE] Yeah, unless I'm doing something wrong it doesn't appear to be working.
Try placing the .rad file in the SDK Base folder.
The question's been probably asked a thousand times over, but... How do I get rid of that error message when compiling, "The command failed. Windows reported the error: "The system cannot find the file specified.""? I'm trying to convert CSGO maps to Garry's Mod, and I've been succesful if it wasn't for that damn error that prevents me from converting some maps. It seems to be perfectly random though, sometimes it doesn't appear when working on a map after an update, sometimes it works after removing some entities, sometimes the compilation method makes it work, sometimes changing the name of the map fixes it, and sometimes the error appears after tweaking a few things on the map. It's extremely frustrating, does anyone have any solutions? I've googled the problem, but found nothing consistent. Maybe an alternate program for compiling?
Alright, I am trying to convert some DDS Textures to VTF, and some of them have alpha. Is there a way to do that in Paint.NET?
I have a trigger that initiates a server wide countdown when a player enters it. The problem is, say there are 3 people in the server it triggers the trigger 3 times, making the countdown repeat itself 3 times. Is there any way to make it so once one player triggers the trigger, it is desiabled for all other players in the server?
[QUOTE=Graviton;44337947] Words about really bright reflections on glass cubemaps.[/QUOTE] Still stuck on this problem. All the glass on my map is reflecting a really bright horrible light. I've tried rebuilding cubemaps in various different ways. Think I might try another glass material since everything else has working cubemaps - does anyone have any suggestions?
Sorry, you need to Log In to post a reply to this thread.