The Mappers' Encyclopedia / Section Rules / Question Megathread (Read Before Posting)
2,794 replies, posted
[url=http://www.facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=519418]The Mappers' Encyclopedia[/url]
Last Updated: Thursday, April 22, 2010
[quote]1. This rule list is not total, the excuse 'it wasn't on the rules list' isn't applicable. This is not a democracy.
2. Respect each other. Don't call each other names.
3. Don't reply to a thread just to say it's shit.
4. Don't troll. Don't reply to a thread about The Simpsons to say that Family Guy is better.
5. If someone does something wrong, report them. Flaming or attacking them will get you banned.
6. Don't reply to threads that are made with the intent of the user getting banned (ban me threads)
7. Nudity is fine. If you want to post pictures of an erect penis or penetration of any kind do not [img] tag it.
8. Don't post child porn.
9. Purposely breaking any of these rules with an alt account will get all your accounts permabanned.
10. Use descriptive thread titles. Things like 'Help' or 'Something I saw..' aren't descriptive.
11. Do not link, hint or talk about warez. Discussing games that you have pirated is fine - but we don't need to know that you pirated it, or where you pirated it from. Anyone that asks for links to pirated games will be banned.
12. Do not make parody threads.
13. If you're posting a link to a news story say why and/or state your opinion. Do not just post links.
14. Do not copy and paste new threads from a website.
15. Do not post things like 'I smell a ban' or 'this is against the rules' or 'wrong forum'.
16. Spell properly. This isn't GameFaqs.
17. Do not reply to threads just to reply. Replying with things like 'uh.. ya' or 'what' will get you banned.
18. If you're replying to a thread asking for help, HELP OR DO NOT POST.
19. Advertising your website is fine as long as it's relevant.
20. Don't steal stuff and claim it as yours. Don't use this rule as an excuse to bitch if you're not credited for your work. They need to claim that they made it.
21. Read the thread before replying. If you reply to a thread based on thread title you will get banned.
22. Don't make new threads to announce your birthday. No-one cares.
23. Don't make threads to get us to make up your mind about something ie 'Should I get a PS3 or XBox360?'. Make up your own mind. Don't use this rule as an excuse to flame people for making a thread to ask opinions ie 'What is the best MP3 player?'
24. Posting Image Macros will get you banned. It isn't clever. Just use words.
25. Replying with hilarious meme's like 'Stick it in her pooper' will get you banned.
26. Replying to threads like you were the guy they were talking about in the first post isn't funny.
27. Making obvious threads to earn ratings will get you banned.
28. DO NOT ACCESS THE FORUMS VIA A PROXY. If you're viewing the site through a proxy and you have the same IP as someone using that proxy to spam you will also get permabanned. I don't care if your school blocks the forums.
29. Don't make threads about how unfair your school is.
30. Don't make threads about religion, unless it's in a religion forum.
31. Don't make threads about dreams, unless it's in a dreams forum.
32. Don't make threads asking if your computer can run a game.
33. This is not an obituary forum. Don't post threads about how your relative/friend/cat died.
34. Blindly defend Facepunch, even when you know you're wrong.[/quote]
[quote=garry]This forum is for general discussion of mapping. It is for people that know what they're doing and people that don't know what they're doing. You should expect a mixture of both and you should be rude to neither.
1. [B]Don't add [RELEASE] or [BETA RELEASE] [/B] or any otehr tags to the name of your thread. It's fucking annoying. I'm going to enable post icons for that - in the mean time don't do it.
2. [B]Don't be negative towards people's work[/B]. They're not doing this to impress you - they're giving to the community. Instead of sitting on your throne of superiority help them and tell them where they're going wrong. You will get banned if you flame people's work without giving a damn good reason.[/quote]
3. Don't post decompiled or edited versions of other maps without explicit permission from the maker of the original map. Otherwise, don't post other people's maps and claim they're yours. If you post someone else's map give them credit.
[quote=garry]4. [B]Don't RATE maps using the 4/10 crap[/B]. It's stupid. Use the rate thread stuff on the top left of the thread and reply with words like "I like it".
5. Map releases go in the release section. You may post once in the general mapping section to alert people that you've posted your map in the release section.
6. [B]Don't request a map that is in the maplist[/B]. Your thread will be deleted, and you will be banned.[/quote]
7. [quote=Hezzy]Don't just post threads to say work has started on a map, post the thread when you've actually got something to show us.[/quote]
Don't spam for a release date. The map will be done [B]when it's done[/B].
When giving negative criticism, it should be constructive.
As far as concerned, any Source map may be released here; Garry's Mod can utilize maps from most Source games.
When possible, check compile logs with [url=http://www.interlopers.net/index.php?page=errors]Interlopers.net's Compile Log Checker[/url] before asking about problems. If posting a compile log, use [noparse][code]...[/code][/noparse] tags.
Feel free to use this thread as a question megathread.
I have an output that extinguish a fire, but it wont. is there other ways to do it?
Just a question about section rule 4; where is that feature?
I am working on a square racetrack with banked roads, but it won't compile. Even though it is a small map PortalFlow takes hours to get past 1, and the error checker finds nothing. :frown:
I would have somebody look at the vmf...as long as the map isn't stolen.
have you func_detailed
[QUOTE=HiddenMyst;16000146]Just a question about section rule 4; where is that feature?[/QUOTE]
Back in the days, the rating feature was still here.
There are plugins that do the same.
How do I turn a brush to have a set health? (So it can be destroyed)
[QUOTE=PyromanDan;16005015]How do I turn a brush to have a set health? (So it can be destroyed)[/QUOTE]
Make it a func_breakable, you can choose the amount of health there.
How do I get L4D content again? *___*
Buy l4d :ughh:
I own L4D, I wanna know how to get the content into HL2 -.-
HL2 can't handle new engine formating by default.
Well it can. Google around for getting L4D Models into GMod. There's a bat you can run that fixes up all the models.
I have made some props out of prop_physics edited nothing but their world models, in-game they are not appearing. Why? (Mapping for ep2 by the way.)
Some models can't be used as some prop types. Check the compile log for errors.
Why was my list of sounscapes taken from the mapper's encyclopedia? :(
Moved to the VDC: [url=http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/List_of_EP2_Soundscapes]List of EP2 Soundscapes[/url]
[QUOTE=Terrenteller;16024221]Some models can't be used as some prop types. Check the compile log for errors.[/QUOTE]
I tried making a combine APC, should I make it dynamic or...?
[QUOTE=Terrenteller;16024966]Moved to the VDC: [url=http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/List_of_EP2_Soundscapes]List of EP2 Soundscapes[/url][/QUOTE]
Thankyou very much.
Quick question; To make a lake/ocean, do I have to make the entire brush water or just the top face?
Edited: thanks. :smile:
Just the top face.
how do I make a admin only door for gmod in hammer
You need a Lua script.
Am I able to change the brightness of a texture? Example, making dirt a lot brighter to look like sand.
how do i fix this error? hashvec: point outside valid range
All of your map must fit within the boundaries of the grid drawn on the 2d views.
Does anyone know how to properly make a fucking arch?
The block tool can be configured to make arches. When selected, change the solid type from the drop-down menu, by default on right side of the window.
[code]Static prop models/props_windows/window_urban_sash_48_88.mdl outside the map (-696.00, -2888.00, 474.00)
Static prop models/props_windows/window_urban_sash_48_88.mdl outside the map (-696.00, -2888.00, 283.00)[/code]
The objects may be inside a brush.
[code]Error! prop_static using model "models/props_misc/mirror-1.mdl", which must be used on a dynamic entity (i.e. prop_physics). Deleted.
Error loading studio model "models/props_misc/mirror-1.mdl"![/code]
Some models can't be used as some prop types.
I mean, proper arches. not the ones where it starts big at first then goes retardedly small.
I need a nice, clean proper 90 degree turn. I wish to use it as a subway curved wall. BUT I CAN'T! :crying:
Sorry, you need to Log In to post a reply to this thread.