• What are you working on? v19
    6,590 replies, posted
  • [QUOTE=Rayjingstorm;32155820]Sorry if it's late, but the same issue occured with King Arthur's Gold, it is just Desura installing with insufficient permissions. Go the the install directory for desura, then common, then properties for the game folder. Just give every user/usergroup full permissions and the game will run fine. Moving on, the game is awesome. Took me a few seconds to get a dialog saying I appeared to be dying a lot, and it asked if I wanted "aim assist". I said hell no and continued on dying every few seconds. I will probably buy the full version soon, thanks for releasing a demo though![/QUOTE] Aim assist master race :v: Honestly though, people seem to be finding it a lot harder than I expected. Maybe it's just because the main testers and I have played it for a while, but I think I need to add some more hints on how to move (did you know you can click to slow down?). About the permissions thing, does that need to be done by every user themselves?
  • [QUOTE=NovembrDobby;32156171] About the permissions thing, does that need to be done by every user themselves?[/QUOTE] It worked for me when I did it. A little too well, I might add. I played a bit of free mode in the demo, and I must say that it's just a really great fun game! It might just be a 5-minute-break game, but when I closed the game to post about it here, I found that 5 seconds later I had re-opened the game! I'm starting to think you've implemented some mind control devices into my RAM which is transferring brain wave data through wifi and speakers, you sly fox!
  • No screenshots yet, but I'm quite proud of myself for implementing a thing that loads levels into my level select screen 10 at a time. It makes me feel like a real programmer to do all this content loading and string manipulation instead of crazy game mechanic nonsense.
  • [QUOTE=NovembrDobby;32156171]Aim assist master race :v: Honestly though, people seem to be finding it a lot harder than I expected. Maybe it's just because the main testers and I have played it for a while, but I think I need to add some more hints on how to move (did you know you can click to slow down?). About the permissions thing, does that need to be done by every user themselves?[/QUOTE] Yeah, I knew from the get-go that you could slow yourself, and that mechanic definitly adds a lot to the gameplay. I think the hint you gave at the beginning to look at the keybinds was enough, and it was pretty self explainatory after that. If the user is too lazy to take a look at the controls and read the hints that you have already provided, then they deserve to struggle a bit. I may try aim assist at some point, but I really would rather spend the time just learning how to play the game as it is; the game is fun because it takes a bit of practice. You could make an "aim assist" that just plays the game for you, but it doesn't add anything to the game, it just removes the entire game aspect from it. A+ game, and I am interested enough in the other gamemodes to pay the modest price, you really have made a fun game here :v: [editline]6th September 2011[/editline] Purchased! [editline]6th September 2011[/editline] Wow, even on easy I barely scraped by level 6 (8/10 lives) But the game is crazy fun. The only "bug" I would point out so far is that there is noticable lag in the splitscreen mode. You probably already know this, but I thought I would let you know if you didn't. If you weren't already planning on it, a multiplayer gamemode that isn't same-pc or LAN would be nice in the final version :v:
  • [QUOTE=dajoh;32145658]Framebuffers are neat. [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugHoC7GD_y4[/media][/QUOTE] Lol that's a lot like parralex mapping in a way, when it's facing you it looks as if the AK is completely 3 dimensional, but then as the square is viewed from an angle the effect breaks down.
  • [QUOTE=Jawalt;32157662]Lol that's a lot like parralex mapping in a way, when it's facing you it looks as if the AK is completely 3 dimensional, but then as the square is viewed from an angle the effect breaks down.[/QUOTE] my bad accidentally rated you late; i meant to rate you dumb. edit: fixed
  • [QUOTE=Rayjingstorm;32156389]Wow, even on easy I barely scraped by level 6 (8/10 lives) But the game is crazy fun. The only "bug" I would point out so far is that there is noticable lag in the splitscreen mode. You probably already know this, but I thought I would let you know if you didn't. If you weren't already planning on it, a multiplayer gamemode that isn't same-pc or LAN would be nice in the final version :v:[/QUOTE] This is bizarre, I've never seen lag in MP and neither have the testers, but now the alpha's been made 'public' I have two cases of it. My PC is pretty old now but I can run it just fine :/ Also I just found out that switching from the demo to the alpha on Desura messes up almost [i]everything[/i] too (console errors, broken splitscreen), since the alpha uses the demo cfg. I tried a networked mode once, then realised: a) I know next to nothing about how network communication & protocols work b) my code is just not good enough for this kind of thing, and besides it'd really have to be designed from the beginning with networking in mind.
  • This counts as a screenshot: [code][owain:~] ./bigText.py my wallet's the one that says "bad mother fucker" on it █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █▀ ▀█▀ █ █▀▀ ██ ██ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ ▀ █ █ ▀ █ █ █ █ █ █▀█ █ █ █▀ █ ▀▀█ ▀ ▀ ▀ ▀▀▀ ▀ ▀ ▀▀▀ ▀▀▀ ▀▀ ▀ ▀▀▀ ▀█▀ █ █ █▀ ██ █ █ █▀ ▀█▀ █ █ █ ▀█▀ █▀▀ █ █ █ █▀▀ █ █▀█ █ █ █ ██ █ █ █ █▀█ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █▀ █ █ █ ▀█ █▀ █ █ █ █▀█ █ ▀▀█ █▀█ █ ▀▀█ ▀ ▀ ▀ ▀▀ ▀▀ ▀ ▀ ▀▀ ▀ ▀ ▀ ▀ ▀ ▀ ▀▀▀ ▀ ▀ ▀ ▀▀▀ █ █ ██ █ ██ █ █ ██ ▀█▀ █ █ █▀ ███ █▀ █ █ ██ █ █ █▀ ███ █ █ ▀ ▀ █ █ █ █ █ █ ██ ██ █ █ █ █▀█ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ ▀ ▀ █▀█ █▀█ █ █ █ ▀ █ █ █ █ █ █ █▀ █▀█ █▀ █ █ █ █▀█ █▀ █▀█ ▀▀ ▀ ▀ ▀▀ ▀ ▀ ▀▀ ▀ ▀ ▀ ▀▀ ▀ ▀▀ ▀ ▀▀ ▀▀ ▀ ▀ ▀▀ ▀ ▀▀ ██ █ █ ▀█▀ ▀█▀ █ █ ██ █ █ █ █ █ █ ▀█ █ █ ▀▀ ▀ ▀ ▀▀▀ ▀ [/code] Working on some python libs to make GIANT TEXT in linux terminals :v: with custom 'fonts' and all. totally useless, but word wraps's an interesting challenge: I've been trying to implement word/letter wrapping on it, so long words wrap multiple lines, long lines will wrap multiple lines too... obviously every character is 4 chars high, and since i'm not using ncurses or anything, I have to print out the characters in the right order, line-by-line... oh and it's 4:00am here so my brain is turning to mush. Trying to make pretty things in standard terminals using print/stdout etc.... it's hard maaan. I'm going to use it when I want to shout at people on Facebook and need a bigger font. Also fully aware this is shit compared to the rest of WAYWO
  • Question: I'm working on an iOS/Android "beat-your-time" 2D side-scroller type of game with full replay functionality. In the future, it will have highscore replay boards so that you can "play against" the world record for each level. The highscore replay boards will take considerable development time to implement and test, and I'm probably going to have to approve each replay manually to avoid cheating. Should I (a) polish and release the game as-is, then add the highscore replay boards as an update, or (b) add the highscore replay boards before polishing and releasing the game? x1 Agree for (a) x2 Disagree for (b)
  • [QUOTE=icantread49;32159284] x1 Agree for (a) x2 Disagree for (b)[/QUOTE] It really depends on how much other content is in the game. People need to be interested enough to update in the first place.
  • Wait, I meant 1x Disagree for (b), I dunno why I put 2x :v: I hope you guys didn't actually weight your votes based on that
  • [img]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/23280705/SharpSand.png[/img] It's like falling sand, but there's no collisions, only one particle type, and it's slow. But it's a start. (BTW there's blue in there for those of you who have your contrast turned down.)
  • [QUOTE=Jawalt;32157662]Lol that's a lot like parralex mapping in a way, when it's facing you it looks as if the AK is completely 3 dimensional, but then as the square is viewed from an angle the effect breaks down.[/QUOTE] How is this dumb, I point out that two things both give an illusion of depth when facing the screen but it degrades the farther it faces away. I was not comparing the method, or mathematics, purely the neat illusion it gives. Now I prepare for dumbs because "LOL U CARE BOUT RATINGS", you obviously care just as much as I do, because you're doing the rating.
  • [QUOTE=Jawalt;32160481]How is this dumb, I point out that two things both give an illusion of depth when facing the screen but it degrades the farther it faces away. I was not comparing the method, or mathematics, purely the neat illusion it gives. Now I prepare for dumbs because "LOL U CARE BOUT RATINGS", you obviously care just as much as I do, because you're doing the rating.[/QUOTE] Possibly because the AK is actually a 3D image being rendered to a Framebuffer object which is rendered to a 2D plane which is spinning? (Just hazarding a guess, seriously not trying to sound like a jerk :x)
  • [QUOTE=Jawalt;32160481]Now I prepare for dumbs because "LOL U CARE BOUT RATINGS", you obviously care just as much as I do, because you're doing the rating.[/QUOTE] Don't worry about it. The ratings can be useful but I try to ignore any dumbs I get. If there's a valid reason for someone to think my post is dumb they'll tell me why otherwise I won't give a fuck.
  • [QUOTE=Chandler;32160582]Possibly because the AK is actually a 3D image being rendered to a Framebuffer object which is rendered to a 2D plane which is spinning? (Just hazarding a guess, seriously not trying to sound like a jerk :x)[/QUOTE] Exactly. I know what a framebuffer is and I know how what was shown worked, but I was commenting on the trippy effect it gave similar to if you viewed a parallex mapped quad as it spun. [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZPsQtlHthQ[/media] Watch when he goes around the cube, the illusion of depth disappears, this is what I was commenting on.
  • [QUOTE=Jawalt;32160481]How is this dumb, I point out that two things both give an illusion of depth when facing the screen but it degrades the farther it faces away.[/QUOTE] Lol the dude in your avatar is red, but he's on a red background, and that makes him harder to see.
  • [QUOTE=Deco Da Man;32160693]Lol the dude in your avatar is red, but he's on a red background, and that makes him harder to see.[/QUOTE] This is the worst joke I've ever seen. I know you're trying to make a point but I won't even give you points for being funny. What you said was dumb and really had nothing to do with what I was saying, which was basically "woah this is trippy, and x does it too."
  • [QUOTE=Jawalt;32160692]Exactly. I know what a framebuffer is and I know how what was shown worked, but I was commenting on the trippy effect it gave similar to if you viewed a parallex mapped quad as it spun. [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZPsQtlHthQ[/media] Watch when he goes around the cube, the illusion of depth disappears, this is what I was commenting on.[/QUOTE] What's the advantage of that compared to actually putting the physical bricks on the wall? The only reason I can think of is you'd be able to copy the same texture over and over reducing polygons, but how would that work with lighting?
  • [QUOTE=TVC;32161449]What's the advantage of that compared to actually putting the physical bricks on the wall? The only reason I can think of is you'd be able to copy the same texture over and over reducing polygons, but how would that work with lighting?[/QUOTE] Exactly that, you can get nicely detailed walls without the polycount and resource intensity.
  • Anyone here worked on SFML(I know some of you have) I am trying to load a .png using Image First i tried using [code]char strExePath [MAX_PATH]; GetModuleFileName (NULL, strExePath, MAX_PATH); str::string CurrentDirectory; CurrentDirectory.assign(strExePath); [/code] then loadfromfile(CurrentDirectory + "\\Content\\WM.png"); Could not open file for some reason(Looked at the given path it looks fine) But when i just copied the path it worked just fine i even tried using this [code]char buffer[MAX_PATH];//always use MAX_PATH for filepaths GetModuleFileName(NULL,buffer,sizeof(buffer)); std::string CurrentDirectory; CurrentDirectory.assign(buffer); int i = CurrentDirectory.find_last_of('\\'); for(int in = i;in < MAX_PATH;in++) { buffer[in] = NULL; } CurrentDirectory.assign(buffer); [/code] didn't work either Anyone of you that can help me with this ?
  • [QUOTE=Orki;32161948]Anyone here worked on SFML(I know some of you have) I am trying to load a .png using Image First i tried using [code]char strExePath [MAX_PATH]; GetModuleFileName (NULL, strExePath, MAX_PATH); str::string CurrentDirectory; CurrentDirectory.assign(strExePath); [/code] then loadfromfile(CurrentDirectory + "\\Content\\WM.png"); Could not open file for some reason(Looked at the given path it looks fine) But when i just copied the path it worked just fine i even tried using this [code]char buffer[MAX_PATH];//always use MAX_PATH for filepaths GetModuleFileName(NULL,buffer,sizeof(buffer)); std::string CurrentDirectory; CurrentDirectory.assign(buffer); int i = CurrentDirectory.find_last_of('\\'); for(int in = i;in < MAX_PATH;in++) { buffer[in] = NULL; } CurrentDirectory.assign(buffer); [/code] didn't work either Anyone of you that can help me with this ?[/QUOTE] Why not just use a relative path for the image?
  • [QUOTE=thf;32162021]Why not just use a relative path for the image?[/QUOTE] I figured it out :) was just a simple mistake
  • [URL="http://dl.dropbox.com/u/35032740/Test.rar"]Could someone run this and tell me what it says in the title? [/URL] Requires OpenGL 2.0 and .NET 4
  • [QUOTE=Darwin226;32162911][URL="http://dl.dropbox.com/u/35032740/Test.rar"]Could someone run this and tell me what it says in the title? [/URL] Requires OpenGL 2.0 and .NET 4[/QUOTE] Around 16. Crashes when you exit.
  • [QUOTE=Darwin226;32162911][URL="http://dl.dropbox.com/u/35032740/Test.rar"]Could someone run this and tell me what it says in the title? [/URL] Requires OpenGL 2.0 and .NET 4[/QUOTE] Around 12. Crashes when you exit.
  • Hmmm... I wonder what I fucked up. SwapBuffers call is 95% of that time... [editline]7th September 2011[/editline] I thought it was my graphics card. Maybe it's an ATI issue. What graphics cards do you have?
  • [img]http://images.overvprojects.nl/CUsersOvervAppDataLocalTempRarEX00.082RenderTargets.exe-2011-09-07_15.14.04.png[/img] About 16.
  • Around 16. Crashes with a System.AccessViolationException saying it failed to write/read protected memory, AT OpenTK.Graphics.OpenGL.GL.DeletFrameBuffers(Int32 n, Int32& framebuffers) AT FireFlyGL.FrameBuffer.Finalize() [editline]7th September 2011[/editline] Also said it was using open gl 2.0, but supported version was 0 (on laptop with integrated)