• What are you working on? May 2012
    2,222 replies, posted
  • [QUOTE=Icedshot;35808465]Computer science at my school:[/QUOTE] I was waiting for an image to load for a good few seconds there.
  • [QUOTE=DrLuke;35808398]Computer Science at school: 5% programming, 95% this: [dicks][/QUOTE] Computer Science at school: 5% do something with Office, 95% play games on Facebook
  • [QUOTE=ahdge;35808450]Phone picture beats screenshot when you need to tell a story.[/QUOTE] Also I was too lazy to take a screenshot and paste it into paint and then save it onto my usb-drive
  • New version: [url]http://filesmelt.com/dl/Phyzicle3.apk[/url] [release]It should now work for all you guys that reported a black screen/crash/nothing happening![/release] For the guys with the screen corruption, I'll look into it. I believe it might just be your old device, though :v:
  • [QUOTE=DrLuke;35808511]Also I was too lazy to take a screenshot and paste it into paint and then save it onto my usb-drive[/QUOTE] Just want to point out that you copy and pasted a throbbing member [I]14 times.[/I]
  • Oh man, seeing this makes me happy :dance: [thumb]http://i.imgur.com/PxOyx.png[/thumb] Upgrading the map generator also allowed to have a maximum map size of 342x341, that's one wider that the last one! Though depending on the amount of wall pieces generated, this much can crash because the vertice list getting too big. Now just to figure out how to flip vertices 180 degrees around to make a roof.
  • [QUOTE=ahdge;35808739]Just want to point out that you copy and pasted a throbbing member [I]14 times.[/I][/QUOTE] Tiled background. [editline]3rd May 2012[/editline] [QUOTE=Funley;35808741]Oh man, seeing this makes me happy :dance: [thumb]http://i.imgur.com/PxOyx.png[/thumb] Now just to figure out how to flip vertices 180 degrees around to make a roof.[/QUOTE] I think you just need to set y/z (what ever is the up vector) to -y/-z
  • [QUOTE=Darwin226;35808762]I think you just need to set y/z (what ever is the up vector) to -y/-z[/QUOTE] -snip. fixed-
  • Got back to work on my 3d opencl renderer Objects are now asynchronously added during the runtime of the program - memory is allocated for the size of all the triangles currently in any object being rendered to the scene, this is all copied onto the graphics card, and then the current engine memory pointer is updated (mutex lock to prevent awful things from happening) to the new memory. The old memory can then be freed asynchronously as well, after this This essentially means that adding new objects to the scene won't cause any delay whatsoever to the running of the program (though may take several frames for the actual memory itself to be allocated, and the object to be drawn to the screen). Also, because the memory new memory has to be allocated while the old memory is still present, this means that you are wasting a load of memory while transferring the two. I can't think of a way around this though at the moment Currently though, I am very lazily getting around to implement a system to pass textures to the program. Unfortunately opencl is not a fan of being passed arrays of Image2ds, though perhaps i can pass a 3d texture that is actually the 2d textures on different layers - each layer being an object ID (or a variation of that). I'll get around to it at some point
  • [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/6bNAC.png[/IMG] Powered by GeeUI™ (Collaborative project with Ziks and Geel9)
  • [QUOTE=Chris220;35808279]Is stuff like this more often done with realtime beat detection, or are the timings hardcoded? I'd assume the latter because the demo only has to work well with that one song, and it cuts out the fact that beat detection is rarely perfect.[/QUOTE] yeah i'm not the hugest fan of beat detection/fft. i find manual timing provides more rewarding results, and it takes as much time as one would spend making analysis results usable.
  • [QUOTE=Funley;35808862]Well, i generate the vertices like this: [code]verticesList.Add(new VertexPositionNormalTexture(new Vector3(position.X, position.Y + 1, -position.Z), new Vector3(0, 1, 0), new Vector2((currentwall * 2) / imagesInTexture, 1))); verticesList.Add(new VertexPositionNormalTexture(new Vector3(position.X, position.Y + 1, -position.Z - 1), new Vector3(0, 1, 0), new Vector2((currentwall * 2) / imagesInTexture, 0))); verticesList.Add(new VertexPositionNormalTexture(new Vector3(position.X + 1, position.Y + 1, -position.Z), new Vector3(0, 1, 0), new Vector2((currentwall * 2 + 1) / imagesInTexture, 1))); verticesList.Add(new VertexPositionNormalTexture(new Vector3(position.X, position.Y + 1, -position.Z - 1), new Vector3(0, 1, 0), new Vector2((currentwall * 2) / imagesInTexture, 0))); verticesList.Add(new VertexPositionNormalTexture(new Vector3(position.X + 1, position.Y + 1, -position.Z - 1), new Vector3(0, 1, 0), new Vector2((currentwall * 2 + 1) / imagesInTexture, 0))); verticesList.Add(new VertexPositionNormalTexture(new Vector3(position.X + 1, position.Y + 1, -position.Z), new Vector3(0, 1, 0), new Vector2((currentwall * 2 + 1) / imagesInTexture, 1)));[/code] That generates one floor piece. How exactly can i change how each vertice is oriented?[/QUOTE] Instead of position.Y + 1, try -(position.Y + 1). If Z is up then do that to z.
  • [QUOTE=Icedshot;35808868]Got back to work on my 3d opencl renderer Objects are now asynchronously added during the runtime of the program - memory is allocated for the size of all the triangles currently in any object being rendered to the scene, this is all copied onto the graphics card, and then the current engine memory pointer is updated (mutex lock to prevent awful things from happening) to the new memory. The old memory can then be freed asynchronously as well, after this This essentially means that adding new objects to the scene won't cause any delay whatsoever to the running of the program (though may take several frames for the actual memory itself to be allocated, and the object to be drawn to the screen). Also, because the memory new memory has to be allocated while the old memory is still present, this means that you are wasting a load of memory while transferring the two. I can't think of a way around this though at the moment Currently though, I am very lazily getting around to implement a system to pass textures to the program. Unfortunately opencl is not a fan of being passed arrays of Image2ds, though perhaps i can pass a 3d texture that is actually the 2d textures on different layers - each layer being an object ID (or a variation of that). I'll get around to it at some point[/QUOTE] I'm jealous, I've had to pretty much halt my OpenCL work in order to deal with the end-of-course ramp-up in my other classes / final projects / procrastination because I was working on my photon mapper so much this quarter. Depending on how complex your scenes are (last time you showed it it looked like maybe a cube-room and a couple of spheres) you shouldn't have too much to worry about in scene allocation. If you aren't already just make sure you're storing the minimum amount of information necessary, like how a sphere only needs 4 floats to represent it completely. My scenes are currently ~200 bytes including my material definitions and I have the same number of primitives as you do, it shouldn't be terribly expensive.
  • beat detection is worthless in the first place there is no magical universal tuning for frequency averages that will detect beats on every single last song provided, so there's no point in it for using it for the reasons you'd expect (to do less work) the problem with beat detection is that to use it for anything useful, you'd need a set of algorithms that could detect beats across multiple different genres and play styles that's one problem, but you also have the general "how do you define what a beat is?" issue in the end, beat detection is best used in controlled, tuned cases. but if you're going to do that, you might as well just manually sync whatever your work is to whatever music you're using, because you'll end up actually doing more work tuning your beat detection for more than one song
  • [QUOTE=Funley;35808488]Computer Science at school: 5% do something with Office, 95% play games on Facebook[/QUOTE] Computer Science at school: 10% do something with Office 2003, 15% play mari0, 75% sit quietly while secretly planning how to place the cd in my backpack into the cd-tray and reboot using kon-boot with admin privileges so I can fix their antivirus software and set up user rights properly to prevent some asshole from removing my mari0 saves forcing me to beat it each Tuesday.
  • I ended up accidentally creating the most attractive project of the science fair had to take part in (the robot arm) and got myself a backache and a sore throat trying to explain what the thing did to kids and their parents. The arm wouldn't work 50% of the times, yet the kids were still incredibly amused when I switched to manual control and grabbed pieces of LEGO and let them go in their hands. The guys showing their projects in the stands next to mine came to me complaining that I were getting all the attention and I replied that I never asked for it and would gladly switch places :v: The kinds fucking about with the arm were incredibly unnerving though.
  • [QUOTE=amcfaggot;35809662]beat detection is worthless in the first place there is no magical universal tuning for frequency averages that will detect beats on every single last song provided, so there's no point in it for using it for the reasons you'd expect (to do less work) the problem with beat detection is that to use it for anything useful, you'd need a set of algorithms that could detect beats across multiple different genres and play styles that's one problem, but you also have the general "how do you define what a beat is?" issue in the end, beat detection is best used in controlled, tuned cases. but if you're going to do that, you might as well just manually sync whatever your work is to whatever music you're using, because you'll end up actually doing more work tuning your beat detection for more than one song[/QUOTE] Iunno Audiosurf seems to do it decently for pretty much everything although some songs have been recognized as waaaaay too high-tempo.
  • [QUOTE=esalaka;35809834]Iunno Audiosurf seems to do it decently for pretty much everything although some songs have been recognized as waaaaay too high-tempo.[/QUOTE] audiosurf is far from perceptually perfect by a long shot
  • [QUOTE=esalaka;35809834]Iunno Audiosurf seems to do it decently for pretty much everything[/QUOTE] placing a block in a random lane whenever there is an impulse in the spectrum is hardly decent.
  • Oh potato, this is starting to look like a dungeon crawler! Dont worry, the video has no audio. I need a new audio card anyways. The quality is shit, i need to get a better window resolution. [vid]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/43546107/3Dthing 2012-05-03 20-16-26-43.webmvp8.webm[/vid] [editline]3rd May 2012[/editline] Oh sweet pageking :dance: Man i have been dancing this whoole day. And i will continue to do so!
  • Converting the libRocet SFML1.6 renderer to SFML 2.0, got the rendering done but resizing and input isnt going as planned. [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/C5JCt.png[/IMG]
  • [QUOTE=synthiackup;35809881]placing a block in a random lane whenever there is an impulse in the spectrum is hardly decent.[/QUOTE] Audiosurf, massively popular music-based game == "placing a block in a random lane whenever there's an impulse" Yup, sounds like a fair and proper analysis
  • [QUOTE=synthiackup;35809881]placing a block in a random lane whenever there is an impulse in the spectrum is hardly decent.[/QUOTE] Was more thinking of the bumps in the road than the blocks
  • [QUOTE=esalaka;35810038]Was more thinking of the bumps in the road than the blocks[/QUOTE] spectral density
  • [QUOTE=icantread49;35810030]Audiosurf, massively popular music-based game == "placing a block in a random lane whenever there's an impulse" Yup, sounds like a fair and proper analysis[/QUOTE] But that's literally what it does. Have you played it?
  • The highlight of today was when a guy who's a quite important authority in the field of mathematics here in Italy (some of his articles are even in my maths schoolbook) came up to my stand and noticed that I was reading GEB, this book: [IMG]http://cache1.bookdepository.co.uk/assets/images/book/large/9780/4650/9780465026562.jpg[/IMG] and said "Wow, you're reading GEB? That's awesome, you have all of my admiration for that." :dance:
  • All done, BTW is imgur working yet? [IMG]http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/2042/201205031929171280x800s.png[/IMG]
  • Decided to make a gravity simulator thing so I made the moon and the earth and gave them proper distances, radii, masses and everything. Ran the simulation and there were two dots on the screen just sitting there. After checking my forces, distances and everything a couple of times it hit me. It takes 28 days for the moon to orbit the earth...
  • [QUOTE=icantread49;35810030]Audiosurf, massively popular music-based game == "placing a block in a random lane whenever there's an impulse" Yup, sounds like a fair and proper analysis[/QUOTE] "you're not a chef, you couldn't possibly know what tastes like excrement" argument