• What Are You Working On August 2012
    2,271 replies, posted
  • I worked on the collision-system. Now I can push things sideways against each other. (Not really smooth, but it works!) [vid]http://videos.monky-town.de/Game2.webm[/vid] Oh! And I don't hang in the air anymore. I can now just walk off. :v:
  • I finally made some videos of stuff I've been working on. [video=youtube;MyRk-8Z6o1M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyRk-8Z6o1M[/video] [video=youtube;cUM-BgbDb1o]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUM-BgbDb1o[/video]
  • Spent today making classes for various functions such as skybox, textures, shaders etc. Before it was kind of messy to be honest. I've also fixed my camera so that it is now possible to look directly up and down fluently and also move perfectly fluent. It's also possible to strafe now.
  • [QUOTE=Capsup;37277734]Spent today making classes for various functions such as skybox, textures, shaders etc. Before it was kind of messy to be honest. I've also fixed my camera so that it is now possible to look directly up and down fluently and also move perfectly fluent. It's also possible to strafe now.[/QUOTE] What in? (OGL, OTK, DX, SDX...)
  • I'm making a dictionary library for C (just for fun) and I got a problem: theres no compile error, he executes normal. If you see in the picture, the first key will return with the value, but the 2nd, 3rd, 4th.... does not return as I want, it returns a "not a number". And also, when I want to destroy the dictionary (struct), he does not show that the dictionary is empty. Maybe the problem is with memory allocation for string, I dunno. Look the prompt. (I wrote "Abacato", sorry, it's "avocado") [img]http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/9141/ajudaj.jpg[/img] This is my code [code] typedef struct dictionary { char *key; double value; struct dictionary *next; } DICTIONARY; typedef DICTIONARY* DICT; /* Pointer for struct DICTIONARY */ void dictInit(DICT *elem) /* Initialize the Dictionary */ { *elem = NULL; } void destroyDict(DICT *elem) /* Destroy all elements from dictionary */ { DICTIONARY *temp = *elem; if (*elem == NULL); return; /* No elements */ *elem = (*elem)->next; free(temp); destroyDict(&(*elem)->next); } void insertElement(DICT *elem, char *keyInput, double valueInput) /* Insert a new element to the dictionary */ { if (*elem == NULL) { *elem = (DICT) malloc(sizeof(DICTIONARY)); if (*elem == NULL) { fprintf(stderr, "Error: could not insert allocate a new element to dictionary"); return; } (*elem)->key = (char *) malloc(strlen(keyInput)+1); strcpy((*elem)->key, keyInput); (*elem)->value = valueInput; (*elem)->next = NULL; } else insertElement(&(*elem)->next, keyInput, valueInput); } void showDict(DICT elem) /* Show the elements of dictionary one by one */ { if (elem == NULL) return; /* No elements */ printf("\"%s\": %.4f\n", elem->key, elem->value); showDict(elem->next); /* Show the next dictionary element */ } double showKeyVal(DICT elem, char *keyInput) /* Show the value from the specific key */ { if (elem == NULL) return; /* No elements */ if (strcmp(elem->key, keyInput) == 0) return elem->value; showKeyVal(elem->next, keyInput); } int isDictEmpty(DICT elem) { return (elem == NULL); } [/code] Thanks for help. And sorry for post here, but no one saw my question :)
  • [QUOTE=3deep5u;37278612]utterly flawless puzzle design[/QUOTE] Oh hey synthiac. Yeah I didn't pay much attention to the puzzle design, I was just showing off the (buggy) mechanic.
  • [QUOTE=Larikang;37202462]It is so on. Seriously, though, I'm interested to see where you take the idea. I guess I'm still building the basic engine. The finished product I'm aiming for is quite a long way away.[/QUOTE] Hah, well, I kind of abandoned that project about 1 year ago.
  • so I've been working on this game in javascript and html5 in my free time recently, it's based on the old game Missile Command. it isn't at all done, and I still need to have a start button and a scoreboard and the function of actually dying. [url]http://qwook.github.com/meteorsmash/[/url] not looking for feedback yet, just showing you guys what I have done.
  • [QUOTE=Staneh;37278778]Hah, well, I kind of abandoned that project about 1 year ago.[/QUOTE] GOOD.
  • [QUOTE=Hentie;37279144]so I've been working on this game in javascript and html5 in my free time recently, it's based on the old game Missile Command. it isn't at all done, and I still need to have a start button and a scoreboard and the function of actually dying. [url]http://qwook.github.com/meteorsmash/[/url] not looking for feedback yet, just showing you guys what I have done.[/QUOTE] I found it strangely addictive.
  • [QUOTE=swift and shift;37268412]ahahahaha [code]assembly[/code] declaring myself the winner of this pissing contest[/QUOTE] NOT SO FAST. You forgot the one thing that can beat you. Compile time computation B) I'm about to make you my friend. [cpp] #include <cstdlib> #include <cstdint> #include <cstdio> constexpr auto sum(uint64_t n) -> uint64_t { return n != 0 ? n + sum(n - 1) : n; } auto main () -> int { printf("%llu\n", sum(100000000)); } [/cpp] [code] % /usr/local/bin/clang++ -o suck-it-down john-romero.cpp -std=c++11 -stdlib=libc++ -fno-exceptions -fno-rtti -O4 % time ./suck-it-down 5000000050000000 ./suck-it-down 0.00s user 0.00s system 46% cpu 0.006 total [/code] And in case you were thinking "oh hey, that's cheating, how long did it take clang to compile it" [code] % time /usr/local/bin/clang++ -o suck-it-down john-romero.cpp -std=c++11 -stdlib=libc++ -fno-rtti /usr/local/bin/clang++ -o suck-it-down john-romero.cpp -std=c++11 -stdlib=libc++ -fno-rtti 0.04s user 0.03s system 74% cpu 0.093 total [/code] [code] ; ModuleID = 'john-romero.cpp' target datalayout = "e-p:64:64:64-i1:8:8-i8:8:8-i16:16:16-i32:32:32-i64:64:64-f32:32:32-f64:64:64-v64:64:64-v128:128:128-a0:0:64-s0:64:64-f80:128:128-n8:16:32:64-S128" target triple = "x86_64-apple-macosx10.7.0" @.str = private unnamed_addr constant [6 x i8] c"%llu\0A\00", align 1 define i32 @main() nounwind uwtable ssp { entry: %call1 = tail call i32 (i8*, ...)* @printf(i8* getelementptr inbounds ([6 x i8]* @.str, i64 0, i64 0), i64 5000000050000000) nounwind ret i32 0 } declare i32 @printf(i8* nocapture, ...) nounwind [/code] Blow it up. B) [editline]16th August 2012[/editline] I should note, if you compile it without optimizations, it will segfault on run. womp womp :(
  • After several days of texturing a simple cube not working, I finally figured out that SOIL is outdated for OpenGL texture loading. [I]Fuck[/I]. At least I can still use the image loading functions because I really don't feel like implementing raw libpng. And it works, now on to more useful things.
  • I have a question, someone posted a link for a site where programmers can hire designers and viceversa or help eachother out, i have been looking but can't seem to find it. ex. i am looking for a pixel artist to do some work and i want to pay for it. Anyone got a site that fits that description or is similar could you post it for me?
  • [QUOTE=Orki;37281887]I have a question, someone posted a link for a site where programmers can hire designers and viceversa or help eachother out, i have been looking but can't seem to find it. ex. i am looking for a pixel artist to do some work and i want to pay for it. Anyone got a site that fits that description or is similar could you post it for me?[/QUOTE] Try requesting here: [url]http://facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=1204549[/url] Maybe you find someone. :D
  • [QUOTE=monky2k6;37281953]Try requesting here: [url]http://facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=1204549[/url] Maybe you find someone. :D[/QUOTE] That works more like a good will thread i really want to be able to contact someone who's work i like and pay them for the art. I know this site exists because i visited it maybe a year ago just can't remember anything that identifies it.
  • [QUOTE=Chandler;37280296]NOT SO FAST. You forgot the one thing that can beat you. Compile time computation B) I'm about to make you my friend. [cpp] #include <cstdlib> #include <cstdint> #include <cstdio> constexpr auto sum(uint64_t n) -> uint64_t { return n != 0 ? n + sum(n - 1) : n; } auto main () -> int { printf("%llu\n", sum(100000000)); } [/cpp] [code] % /usr/local/bin/clang++ -o suck-it-down john-romero.cpp -std=c++11 -stdlib=libc++ -fno-exceptions -fno-rtti -O4 % time ./suck-it-down 5000000050000000 ./suck-it-down 0.00s user 0.00s system 46% cpu 0.006 total [/code] And in case you were thinking "oh hey, that's cheating, how long did it take clang to compile it" [code] % time /usr/local/bin/clang++ -o suck-it-down john-romero.cpp -std=c++11 -stdlib=libc++ -fno-rtti /usr/local/bin/clang++ -o suck-it-down john-romero.cpp -std=c++11 -stdlib=libc++ -fno-rtti 0.04s user 0.03s system 74% cpu 0.093 total [/code] [code] ; ModuleID = 'john-romero.cpp' target datalayout = "e-p:64:64:64-i1:8:8-i8:8:8-i16:16:16-i32:32:32-i64:64:64-f32:32:32-f64:64:64-v64:64:64-v128:128:128-a0:0:64-s0:64:64-f80:128:128-n8:16:32:64-S128" target triple = "x86_64-apple-macosx10.7.0" @.str = private unnamed_addr constant [6 x i8] c"%llu\0A\00", align 1 define i32 @main() nounwind uwtable ssp { entry: %call1 = tail call i32 (i8*, ...)* @printf(i8* getelementptr inbounds ([6 x i8]* @.str, i64 0, i64 0), i64 5000000050000000) nounwind ret i32 0 } declare i32 @printf(i8* nocapture, ...) nounwind [/code] Blow it up. B) [editline]16th August 2012[/editline] I should note, if you compile it without optimizations, it will segfault on run. womp womp :([/QUOTE] Why are you declaring your functions like that? It looks horrible, more characters to type and is harder to read. [editline]17th August 2012[/editline] Here is some eye bleach people: [cpp]constexpr uint64_t sum(uint64_t n) { return n != 0 ? n + sum(n - 1) : n; } int main() { printf("%llu\n", sum(100000000)); return 0; }[/cpp]
  • [QUOTE=COBRAa;37282284]Why are you declaring your functions like that? It looks horrible, more characters to type and is harder to read. [editline]17th August 2012[/editline] Here is some eye bleach people: [cpp]constexpr uint64_t sum(uint64_t n) { return n != 0 ? n + sum(n - 1) : n; } int main() { printf("%llu\n", sum(100000000)); return 0; }[/cpp][/QUOTE] doing the new C++ function syntax allows you to see the entire parameter list and return type all next to each other, with the name on the left (instead of mixed in between the functions actual type signature) It's a style I picked up from OCaml, F#, and python where the same style of syntax is (mostly) used. (i.e., def sum (parameters:types) -> return-type, or let x (n:int) : unit = blah;;) It also makes getting the type signature of a function super easy with a regex. The more you know. It's a personal preference, nothing more, and you'll just have to deal with it.
  • [QUOTE=Orki;37282053]That works more like a good will thread i really want to be able to contact someone who's work i like and pay them for the art. I know this site exists because i visited it maybe a year ago just can't remember anything that identifies it.[/QUOTE] If you're really serious and have the budget to back you up, I'd recommend [URL="http://www.nitrome.com/"]nitrome[/URL]. They're really pixel-perfect. :v:
  • [QUOTE=voodooattack;37282385]If you're really serious and have the budget to back you up, I'd recommend [URL="http://www.nitrome.com/"]nitrome[/URL]. They're really pixel-perfect. :v:[/QUOTE] I recognize that page and they don't sell art? Does not really matter because i do not have that kind of budget i am really looking for freelancers.
  • [QUOTE=Orki;37282436]I recognize that page and they don't sell art? Does not really matter because i do not have that kind of budget i am really looking for freelancers.[/QUOTE] You have to contact them via their business email on the contact page. But yeah, it'd probably be very expensive.
  • [url=http://www.polycount.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=39]Polycount?[/url]
  • [QUOTE=Richy19;37277875]What in? (OGL, OTK, DX, SDX...)[/QUOTE] Well, I was kind of referring to my earlier project that I posted in here, the OpenGL app. So it's in c++ with OpenGL. This project: [img_thumb]http://i.imgur.com/RzWPk.jpg[/img_thumb] But it's kind of hard to post a screenshot about backend stuff. :v:
  • [QUOTE=COBRAa;37282284]Why are you declaring your functions like that? It looks horrible, more characters to type and is harder to read. [editline]17th August 2012[/editline] Here is some eye bleach people: [cpp]constexpr uint64_t sum(uint64_t n) { return n != 0 ? n + sum(n - 1) : n; } int main() { printf("%llu\n", sum(100000000)); return 0; }[/cpp][/QUOTE] why are you declaring your functions like that? it looks horrible, it's really hard to ack/grep for and it's harder to read [editline]hi[/editline] here is some sanity people: [cpp] constexpr uint64_t sum(uint64_t n) { return n != 0 ? n + sum(n - 1) : n; } int main() { printf("%llu\n", sum(100000000)); return 0; } [/cpp]
  • [QUOTE=Capsup;37283475]Well, I was kind of referring to my earlier project that I posted in here, the OpenGL app. So it's in c++ with OpenGL. This project: [img_thumb]http://i.imgur.com/RzWPk.jpg[/img_thumb] But it's kind of hard to post a screenshot about backend stuff. :v:[/QUOTE] I had this thought now and also when I first saw this image; The clouds look unnatural compared to the ground. It looks as if the sky is sort of slanted down, as if the image of the clouds have been taken with a camera that was tilted upwards. I guess another way to put it would be to say that the farthest clouds are too low. Just me?
  • I have a feeling that that is due to the material used, not the actual skybox.
  • I can also do random generated terrain :v: [img]http://i.imgur.com/CT2vI.png[/img] I just remebered that I am not even going to use terrain in my game.
  • I can't believe Slick doesn't support Tiled object layers. &#3232;_&#3232; I'm this close to just hardcoding everything. [b]I CAN'T TURN BOXES INTO PROGRAMS :([/b]
  • [QUOTE=icantread49;37278201]A little buggy but you get the idea..[/QUOTE] See you at gamescom next year!