• What are you working on? v7
    7,420 replies, posted
  • [QUOTE=swift and shift;37494197]that site is incredibly slow [editline]1st September 2012[/editline] at first i was going to blame it on my tethered connection, but even facepunch is significantly faster...[/QUOTE] Hm, we've got a dedicated box in Amsterdam which is lightning fast to the UK and EU (where most of our clients are based) so it shouldn't be that slow. [QUOTE=zerotwelve;37494308]I know this is off topic but I've never understood pay weekly stores "buy this xbox 360 for double the price over 2 years instead of waiting until you actually have the cash and getting it cheaper"[/QUOTE] If you're a student or young working adult and you buy a place, it might come unfurnished or part-furnished, leaving you with the option of grabbing a bank loan, or using a service like ours which makes it less tempting to blow the entire loan amount and leaving you to pay an affordable amount weekly.
  • [QUOTE=zerotwelve;37494308]I know this is off topic but I've never understood pay weekly stores "buy this xbox 360 for double the price over 2 years instead of waiting until you actually have the cash and getting it cheaper"[/QUOTE] Some people can't afford to pay the full amount all at once.
  • [QUOTE=Jelly;37494349]Some people can't afford to pay the full amount all at once.[/QUOTE] But surely waiting until you do have the money (considering things like Xboxes are really non-essential items) and buying it is a better idea? You spend less in the long run. Sorry if I sound ignorant or anything but I genuinely don't understand it :v: [editline]1st September 2012[/editline] I mean, if you didn't have the money for an oven or a washing machine or something like that then sure paying monthly/weekly would be sensible because those are appliances that you need. But a Nintendo Wii?
  • Yeah, when you have bills already going out weekly/monthly and don't have enough overdraft to outright buy stuff, I guess adding to the bills with an additional few pounds is a more desirable option and makes it easier to start saving money rather than depleting your savings balance immediately.
  • its called Credit. you obtain a credit card and then you can buy anything up to your credit range. My bank lets me use $1000 and goes up abit each month depending on my credit, if I paid my credit card bills, exc. My bill each month is %20 of what I owe or $40 a month, whichever is smaller. Bought a computer, paid it off in 5 months, no extra cost.
  • I can understand it for stuff you need but can't afford. A refrigeration or a bed. But getting an console or a smartphone is just stupid.
  • If you use this service it means you don't have the money to buy the product. It's better to save up 5 months and then buy it for 500 instead of paying weekly and ending up spending 700 over 7 months. You didn't had the money in the first place and you are just making things more expensive.
  • [QUOTE=Miljaker;37495075]If you use this service it means you don't have the money to buy the product. It's better to save up 5 months and then buy it for 500 instead of paying weekly and ending up spending 700 over 7 months. You didn't had the money in the first place and you are just making things more expensive.[/QUOTE] The point of this thread isn't to critique the purpose of a website
  • I like how this thread has gone from Apple peripherals to credit cards and finance. Where's all the web dev gone? D:
  • This kind of doubles as an off topic thread for the web dev section when no one posts anything interesting they're working on. I don't think it's a bad thing. I'll post a redesign I'm working on once I'm on my laptop again.
  • Jagex is working on making RuneScape in html5 apparently [IMG]http://www.zybez.net/img/news/newenginehtml5rsfullsize.jpg[/IMG] java left, html5 right actually im reading further into it and this post makes me feel like an idiot.
  • ITT: Mostly 18 year olds and younger who've never have a real job and don't understand how finances in the real world work. Housing, utilities, and food all cost money. Those of us who are older than two decades are sitting here loling at your misunderstanding of the world.
  • So, my company said they've had a good experience with me and want me to sign a new contract to collaborate with them during school which starts in two weeks. I'd be working from home for something like 12-14 hours a week with a laptop they give me. They currently pay me 4.16 € an hour which is pretty low but pretty much "standard wage" here in Italy. I was planning to ask for at least twice as that, or more, in order to sign with them. What do you think?
  • [QUOTE=TerabyteS_;37501296]So, my company said they've had a good experience with me and want me to sign a new contract to collaborate with them during school which starts in two weeks. I'd be working from home for something like 12-14 hours a week with a laptop they give me. They currently pay me 4.16 € an hour which is pretty low but pretty much "standard wage" here in Italy. I was planning to ask for at least twice as that, or more, in order to sign with them. What do you think?[/QUOTE] Go for it. You've got some pretty kickin' designs so i dont see why not.
  • Well, I don't work as a designer there, I'm a developer. Their design offices are in the US.
  • [QUOTE=Miljaker;37495075]If you use this service it means you don't have the money to buy the product. It's better to save up 5 months and then buy it for 500 instead of paying weekly and ending up spending 700 over 7 months. You didn't had the money in the first place and you are just making things more expensive.[/QUOTE] What if you are staying far from your hometown and don't want to increase the weight of movable assets at your current temporary residence ? It makes sense to rent things then.
  • [QUOTE=TerabyteS_;37501296]So, my company said they've had a good experience with me and want me to sign a new contract to collaborate with them during school which starts in two weeks. I'd be working from home for something like 12-14 hours a week with a laptop they give me. They currently pay me 4.16 € an hour which is pretty low but pretty much "standard wage" here in Italy. I was planning to ask for at least twice as that, or more, in order to sign with them. What do you think?[/QUOTE] Sounds good, but isn't Italy poor as fuck at the moment? Might explain the minimum wage for a dev position... Any chance of a set price per project? Might make things better for you.
  • Speaking of jobs.. Tbh I've never really considered working for anyone else career wise since about the age of 12, and I don't think I ever will. Even if I was a debilitated tramp I'd still have some kind of venture going on. It'd really make me cringe working for a web development firm and getting paid a set wage for completing full designs, only to see the company was pulling in tens of thousands per project. If you guys have any cool ideas for stuff that need investment, I'd probably be interested in grabbing a small share and possibly contributing design/ development work.. I'm pretty new to VC so the amount I could offer would be fairly low and it'll be really select, but nevertheless feel free to PM me and we can work something out.
  • You see SCop, working in a web dev company assures that you DO get a wage. Working as a free lancer does not guarantees that you will be paid, sure, you can earn much more, however, what if you don't get lucky that month and find no work? You're pretty much fucked. And this also applies for, let's called them start-ups, as in, first of all you must have some capital beforehand, because you will not earn money for at least some time. And another problem - if your idea fails, you're also pretty much fucked. And that's why I think a set-wage job is important. Really, once you have such a job, I believe you should start thinking about your own ideas as side projects and when they're mature enough, leave your current work and dedicate yourself to the project.
  • [QUOTE=Crhem van der B;37505581]You see SCop, working in a web dev company assures that you DO get a wage. Working as a free lancer does not guarantees that you will be paid, sure, you can earn much more, however, what if you don't get lucky that month and find no work? You're pretty much fucked. And this also applies for, let's called them start-ups, as in, first of all you must have some capital beforehand, because you will not earn money for at least some time. And another problem - if your idea fails, you're also pretty much fucked. And that's why I think a set-wage job is important. Really, once you have such a job, I believe you should start thinking about your own ideas as side projects and when they're mature enough, leave your current work and dedicate yourself to the project.[/QUOTE] The thing about doing your own startups is that they're fun as hell and they'll also let you do what you [I]want[/I] to do, which is important.
  • [QUOTE=Crhem van der B;37505581]You see SCop, working in a web dev company assures that you DO get a wage. Working as a free lancer does not guarantees that you will be paid, sure, you can earn much more, however, what if you don't get lucky that month and find no work? You're pretty much fucked. And this also applies for, let's called them start-ups, as in, first of all you must have some capital beforehand, because you will not earn money for at least some time. And another problem - if your idea fails, you're also pretty much fucked. And that's why I think a set-wage job is important. Really, once you have such a job, I believe you should start thinking about your own ideas as side projects and when they're mature enough, leave your current work and dedicate yourself to the project.[/QUOTE] I see too many people undersell and undermarket themselves as freelancers. I know of a few freelance graphic designers, and their personal approaches by observing how they work. One barely gets jobs and seems to spend all his time on Facebook going on about how he doesn't work for free.. even making beautiful images explaining how little he makes and how much he should be making. He uploads all his work onto Facebook and has no real way for people to contact him, aside from facebook. His 'target market' seems to be small independent shops and bands, and people who want tattoos. All of these avenues have very little in the way of capital with which to pay him, so he shouldn't be expecting much more than 100 pounds per design, nor should he be pissed off when people ask him if he'll work for free. Another spends time making a sharp, crisp, awesome corporate logo, and names his company after his own name (pretty simple right? Barely any creativity required for that but it works). He draws some select pieces of work that are of interest to his target market (cars designs) and puts them up on a nice portfolio website with a simple and clean theme. He goes straight to every car and car design firm he can find, along with any companies tied to car design in some way, via email, to offer his services and price, and sends them a link to his portfolio. Within a day or two he lands a big contract and gets tens of thousands of pounds worth of work very quickly, which pays the bills for several months. Another, who has been established for several years, offers his design services to companies like BMW and Audi to name a few.. He's somehow got away with charging them ridiculous amounts of money per concept he displays to them, and even if things aren't ever used, he still lands like the region of eight thousand pounds per iteration of design (half-weekly presentations or whatever) for some of his work. Of course he had to get to this stage first, which meant he did work for smaller companies and made less than he does now at some point in the past. You have to remember that some huge companies probably hire ten different freelancers for the same job and just pick from the best one. When you've got millions coming in the door every day, having £100k to blow per week on some design projects is petty cash. So yeah that's it. The 'trick' as a freelancer (can be applied to business as well, really) is to create work similar to what a customer already has, which will appeal to them. Stuff that matches their brand focus, if you will, and then contact them. Don't sit back waiting for jobs to come to you, or you'll end up behind a till at McDonald's, wondering why you aren't getting the recognition you deserve. As for start-ups, it's a whole new ball game. If you can do stuff yourself the cost can be pretty minimal. Hosting for £5 a month and domains for £5 a pop (yearly). Where the ideas come from? Who knows. Experience as much as you can every day (even outside of the internet, although this is not essential) until inspiration strikes I suppose.
  • [QUOTE=Crhem van der B;37505581]You see SCop, working in a web dev company assures that you DO get a wage. Working as a free lancer does not guarantees that you will be paid, sure, you can earn much more, however, what if you don't get lucky that month and find no work? You're pretty much fucked.[/QUOTE] If you're running your business right (and yes, as a freelancer you are 100% an entrepreneur and business person, not just a developer or designer, which a lot of people seem to not realize) you don't rely on luck to find projects.
  • I never perceived working as a freelancer my business. I did it (and will do, probably) because I wanted to gain experience in the field and at the same time earn some money. If you see yourself as a business then I do not think you can call yourself a freelancer.
  • [quote]free·lance/ˈfrēˌlans/ Adjective: Working for different companies at different times rather than being permanently employed by one company.[/quote] [quote]busi·ness/ˈbiznis/ Noun: A person's regular occupation, profession, or trade. An activity that someone is engaged in.[/quote] The two aren't mutually exclusive.
  • [thumb]http://i.imgur.com/noFHj.png[/thumb] Finished the blog redesign :) (live@ [URL="http://blog.rndm.de/"]http://blog.rndm.de/[/URL]) If you got any problems feel free to tell me.
  • Windows 8 Buttons: [url]http://jsfiddle.net/usa_/h5m8a/2/[/url] I just had to have them.
  • [QUOTE=usa;37513936]Windows 8 Buttons: [url]http://jsfiddle.net/usa_/h5m8a/2/[/url] I just had to have them.[/QUOTE] Sexy, get some Segoe UI as the default font. Fall back to Open Sans if the user isn't on a windows machine.
  • [QUOTE=Amiga OS;37514029]Sexy, get some Segoe UI as the default font. Fall back to Open Sans if the user isn't on a windows machine.[/QUOTE] Im going to use them on my new site along with some even more sexy transforms similar to: [url]http://lab.hakim.se/meny/[/url]