• Web Dev Questions That Don't Need Their Own Thread v4
    5,001 replies, posted
I want to say this is web development related but it doesn't have a section it perfectly fits in, sorry if I post it in the wrong section :3 Anyway... Me and my friend recently purchased a dedicated server for use with game server hosting for our community but also to mess around with web hosting a bit. I have installed mysql on the server but no matter what I try I can not enable remote connections, I have bind-ip set to *, the user set to allow connections from all ip's (%) and I have checked 29 times that the ports are opened on the firewall and that tcp is enabled in the config. One more thing I would like to add is that we are using windows server 2012 r2 and also the odbc driver doesn't install but from what I can tell that driver is just for connecting windows's built in database management (I think) Sorry if I sound dumb, I am relatively new to this sort of thing so its a learning experience for me [editline]1st July 2014[/editline] Oh just want to add, I get an error 110 when trying to connect
[QUOTE=ZombieWizzard;45258211]I want to say this is web development related but it doesn't have a section it perfectly fits in, sorry if I post it in the wrong section :3 Anyway... Me and my friend recently purchased a dedicated server for use with game server hosting for our community but also to mess around with web hosting a bit. I have installed mysql on the server but no matter what I try I can not enable remote connections, I have bind-ip set to *, the user set to allow connections from all ip's (%) and I have checked 29 times that the ports are opened on the firewall and that tcp is enabled in the config. One more thing I would like to add is that we are using windows server 2012 r2 and also the odbc driver doesn't install but from what I can tell that driver is just for connecting windows's built in database management (I think) Sorry if I sound dumb, I am relatively new to this sort of thing so its a learning experience for me [editline]1st July 2014[/editline] Oh just want to add, I get an error 110 when trying to connect[/QUOTE] [url]http://stackoverflow.com/questions/15576521/cant-connect-to-mysql-server-on-ipaddress-110[/url]
[url]http://stackoverflow.com/questions/24508420/facebook-api-delaying-rest-of-page[/url] If anyone could help with this then I will love them
using Telerik RadlistView in c#, can't get my insertitemtemplate to show for some reason [url]http://stackoverflow.com/questions/24515317/telerik-radlistview-not-displaying-insertitemtemplate[/url]
Rant with a bit of self-added drama incoming, feel free to skip it. The above user's problem is probably more important than mine anyways. Around a year or so I started with my first serious project in PHP, a file sharing web dedicated to skins of a game. Well, as serious as you can expect from some programming n00b that made his own HTML tags instead of divs. Seriously, some of that code was scary. Anyways. It was quite a learning experience, and while it's far from bug-less, I'd say it can stand on its own. (Right now, it's at the point that I get debug emails, and I get a rush of happiness when it doesn't point out anything wrong.) Time travel to a few days ago, when a more important person at that game makes another filesharing web dedicated the same thing. Differences? It's open-source, uses Laravel, an official URL, and he can just pin it on the official forums, so he gets more uploads and more feedback on three days than me on a year. (Admittedly, I gave mine publicity in way less populated forums. It still got to result number 1 in Google, though.) Now, before I started anything, the game's author told me that an official one could be made at any moment (and this one sounds like that), so I knew this ocasion would happen, sooner or later. I didn't see it like this before, though. So, the question that doesn't deserve its own thread is, should I keep going with mine, even though it might get overshadowed, with all the work spent on it being missed? Or should I just join the other guy and say fuck all to mine, leaving it on life support until the VPS expires? It might look like I'm blowing it out of proportion; I probably am. It's just that I've gotten attached to it, being my first contribution and all that cheesy stuff.
If you can offer a better service, sure.
What's a good reliable to too expensive website host? Looking to host my portfolio on a wordpress platform or should I just go for go daddy
I use [url=http://www.lithiumhosting.com/]Lithium Hosting[/url] for my portfolio
I'm not sure if this is the proper section to post this, but I'll ask anyways. I'm trying to install some apps for Google Chrome and every time, a window pops up and says "An Error Has Occured" and below it reads "NETWORK_FAILED." It did this last night so I thought Google was just having some bad server issues. Still doing it this morning though. Is this still a problem on Google's end? Or is there something I can change to make this work?
[QUOTE=Sylerr;45316365]What's a good reliable to too expensive website host? Looking to host my portfolio on a wordpress platform or should I just go for go daddy[/QUOTE] [URL="http://www.deroyalservers.com/"]DoRoyal[/URL] has really nice support and mad cheap. I used to use Lithium, they however disappointed me in the end. (I don't use DoRoyal, but they gave me 4 months free hosting because they were unsure about something and wanted to make up for it, so that's a plus :v:)
[QUOTE=Sylerr;45316365]What's a good reliable to too expensive website host? Looking to host my portfolio on a wordpress platform or should I just go for go daddy[/QUOTE] GitHub and Heroku are free. [editline]7th July 2014[/editline] Can't use GitHub for Wordpress, but Heroku works with it.
[QUOTE=supersnail11;45321902]GitHub and Heroku are free. [editline]7th July 2014[/editline] Can't use GitHub for Wordpress, but Heroku works with it.[/QUOTE] Openshift.com is also great.
Is Rails for Zombies still a good place to learn RoR? Any other places you would recommend?
Quick question about database design. Say for example I'm storing expenditures for a budgeting site, would it be better to: A.) Have a single table with all expenditures for all users, then search for corresponding entries where the owner's ID is the same as the logged in user B.) Have a separate table for each user. Ex, user1_expenditures, user2_expenditures, etc. Basically would a table like example A be slower to query if there were a lot of entries in it for multiple users because it has to go through all entries? Or does it query them in a more efficient way that wouldn't be slow?
[QUOTE=Cep.;45346992]Quick question about database design. Say for example I'm storing expenditures for a budgeting site, would it be better to: A.) Have a single table with all expenditures for all users, then search for corresponding entries where the owner's ID is the same as the logged in user B.) Have a separate table for each user. Ex, user1_expenditures, user2_expenditures, etc. Basically would a table like example A be slower to query if there were a lot of entries in it for multiple users because it has to go through all entries? Or does it query them in a more efficient way that wouldn't be slow?[/QUOTE] Definately not one table per user. On a side note, good eCommerce software?
I'm trying to learn Angular.js Where can i find good and free tutorials?
[QUOTE=Cep.;45346992]Quick question about database design. Say for example I'm storing expenditures for a budgeting site, would it be better to: A.) Have a single table with all expenditures for all users, then search for corresponding entries where the owner's ID is the same as the logged in user B.) Have a separate table for each user. Ex, user1_expenditures, user2_expenditures, etc. Basically would a table like example A be slower to query if there were a lot of entries in it for multiple users because it has to go through all entries? Or does it query them in a more efficient way that wouldn't be slow?[/QUOTE] If im understanding it right, you would want to have a table for users, one for expenditures and maybe a third one to link a user with an expenditure
[QUOTE=tisseman890;45347247]I'm trying to learn Angular.js Where can i find good and free tutorials?[/QUOTE] [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/KJ3Fi6C.png[/IMG]
[QUOTE=Cep.;45346992]Quick question about database design. Say for example I'm storing expenditures for a budgeting site, would it be better to: A.) Have a single table with all expenditures for all users, then search for corresponding entries where the owner's ID is the same as the logged in user B.) Have a separate table for each user. Ex, user1_expenditures, user2_expenditures, etc. Basically would a table like example A be slower to query if there were a lot of entries in it for multiple users because it has to go through all entries? Or does it query them in a more efficient way that wouldn't be slow?[/QUOTE] users table (user_id, name, email) expenditures table (id, user_id, description, amount) So for a single user's expenditures [code]SELECT description, amount FROM expenditures WHERE user_id = 34[/code] For all users' expenditures [code] SELECT users.name, expenditures.description, expenditures.amount FROM expenditures LEFT JOIN users ON expenditures.user_id = users.user_id[/code] [editline]10th July 2014[/editline] [QUOTE=Richy19;45347366]If im understanding it right, you would want to have a table for users, one for expenditures and maybe a third one to link a user with an expenditure[/QUOTE] A link table would only be necessary if one expenditure can have multiple users.
Has anyone had any problems with this error? ERR_CONTENT_LENGTH_MISMATCH I cannot seem to find a solution anywhere.
[QUOTE=smithy285;45348152]Has anyone had any problems with this error? ERR_CONTENT_LENGTH_MISMATCH I cannot seem to find a solution anywhere.[/QUOTE] It means your server isn't configured right and it's sending a content length that doesn't match the content. Try giving the server user read permission on the website files and see if that works.
[QUOTE=Richy19;45347366]If im understanding it right, you would want to have a table for users, one for expenditures and maybe a third one to link a user with an expenditure[/QUOTE] Just for the sake of being thorough.. The third table is ONLY needed if users can have multiple expenditures AND an expenditure can belong to multiple users.
[QUOTE=KmartSqrl;45348766]Just for the sake of being thorough.. The third table is ONLY needed if users can have multiple expenditures AND an expenditure can belong to multiple users.[/QUOTE] My bad, forgot that only applies to a Many-to-Many relationship
[QUOTE=Richy19;45348884]My bad, forgot that only applies to a Many-to-Many relationship[/QUOTE] Thought you might have known already haha. I just wanted to make sure anyone else reading through would know that bit too :)
I could use some help with text areas. So basically I need to track if someone accessed a page and pass that to a text area which is hosted on a separate page, but I want to handle it server-side so the client doesn't actually have to visit the log page which holds the text area for it to update. For example: Client-A accesses Webpage A which is separate from the textarea. Data is immediately sent to Webpage B and updates the textarea. Is there any way to do this? Or does a client have to visit the page for it to update? [editline]Edit: [/editline] If not, would it be possible to use a quick header(logs.php?datagoeshere&destination=index.php) and check if there's $_GET data, and if there is, use another header to the page the user was originally going to?
[QUOTE=WitheredGryphon;45351593]I could use some help with text areas. So basically I need to track if someone accessed a page and pass that to a text area which is hosted on a separate page, but I want to handle it server-side so the client doesn't actually have to visit the log page which holds the text area for it to update. For example: Client-A accesses Webpage A which is separate from the textarea. Data is immediately sent to Webpage B and updates the textarea. Is there any way to do this? Or does a client have to visit the page for it to update?[/QUOTE] Node.JS and websockets would be the best way to do this.
[QUOTE=TrinityX;45351969]Node.JS and websockets would be the best way to do this.[/QUOTE] Thanks, I'll look into it. Haven't really worked with Node.JS so hopefully it won't be too hard to incorporate.
[QUOTE=WitheredGryphon;45352036]Thanks, I'll look into it. Haven't really worked with Node.JS so hopefully it won't be too hard to incorporate.[/QUOTE] If you're running nginx it's really easy to incorporate. vhost: [CODE]location /socket.io { proxy_set_header Upgrade $http_upgrade; proxy_set_header Connection "upgrade"; proxy_set_header X-Forwarded-For $proxy_add_x_forwarded_for; proxy_set_header Host $host; proxy_http_version 1.1; proxy_pass http://localhost:3000/socket.io; }[/CODE] Replace [B][url]http://localhost:3000[/url][/B] with the local address to the node.js daemon (http:// included).
Any recommendations on a backend framework to learn for a personal project? I want to avoid PHP it at all possible. I know a little bit of Python, so I'm tempted to try Django - but are there any other worthwhile alternatives?
Flask is pretty good if the project isn't very big.
Sorry, you need to Log In to post a reply to this thread.