• What are you working on? v65 - July 2016
    3,881 replies, posted
[QUOTE=Map in a box;51093733]Literally just firing off single rays, not rendering with it, too fancy for me.[/QUOTE] That's the point. It's the same algorithm except that you don't run it per pixel.
[QUOTE=Map in a box;51093733]Literally just firing off single rays, not rendering with it, too fancy for me.[/QUOTE] snip
Experiencing a weird weird error where if I fly in a few directions, this happens: [img]http://i.imgur.com/qBAsuX1.png[/img] The seams are fixed once I place/remove a block(forcing the mesh to regenerate) I can't for the life of me find out why its happening though. Debugged it top to bottom and still can't find out what is causing it. [QUOTE=Tamschi;51093826]That's the point. It's the same algorithm except that you don't run it per pixel.[/QUOTE] Why do you think I'm running it per pixel? Used [url]http://www.cse.yorku.ca/~amana/research/grid.pdf[/url] -- seems that it'd be much cheaper to do that then to render, hang the GPU waiting for a pixel response and then picking from that.
[QUOTE=Map in a box;51093976]Why do you think I'm running it per pixel? Used [url]http://www.cse.yorku.ca/~amana/research/grid.pdf[/url] -- seems that it'd be much cheaper to do that then to render, hang the GPU waiting for a pixel response and then picking from that.[/QUOTE] ...exactly? That's why I say you should look up ray marching. It's not a rendering technique by itself, just a more efficient ray trace for cube grid data. [editline]23rd September 2016[/editline] The paper you just linked is exactly what's commonly known as ray marching.
[QUOTE=Tamschi;51094026]...exactly? That's why I say you should look up ray marching. It's not a rendering technique by itself, just a more efficient ray trace for cube grid data. [editline]23rd September 2016[/editline] The paper you just linked is exactly what's commonly known as ray marching.[/QUOTE] I was confused, thought you meant like what treb was suggesting. Take that science!!
[QUOTE=Aathma;51093650]Every time I see voxels I think of this vid [video=youtube;2vnTtiLrV1w]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vnTtiLrV1w[/video][/QUOTE] 10 bytes per triangle wait what
[QUOTE=Torrunt;51093497]Just released another update for my game GIBZ today. Added some more content as well as some stuff people were asking for such as female playable characters. Did a lot of drawing for this update. [video=youtube;8oFkY-JENh0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oFkY-JENh0[/video][/QUOTE] Make your character's gender tied to your steamid [editline]23rd September 2016[/editline] Working on genetic algorithms in C. Supply a function in javascript through stdargs so that the program can find the optimum of any continuous function in some range
[QUOTE=paindoc;51094376]10 bytes per triangle wait what[/QUOTE] He uses color tables and IIRC calculates the UVs in the shader. [editline]23rd September 2016[/editline] Anyone have any good resources for simple AABB/voxel collisions?
[QUOTE=paindoc;51094376]10 bytes per triangle wait what[/QUOTE] There's really good documentation, so here's the render mode overview: [url]https://github.com/nothings/stb/blob/6e4154737c51c1298e35cc6fc387dd365cc32ac9/stb_voxel_render.h#L1245[/url] [editline]23rd September 2016[/editline] [QUOTE=Map in a box;51094661]Anyone have any good resources for simple AABB/voxel collisions?[/QUOTE] You can round the edges of the AABB to be larger (meaning that they point to the block they're in), then check against the inner cubes of the boundaries, so for example: [code]var x0 = floor(x); if (cubes[x0] && !cubes[x0+1]) x += restFrac(x); // Make sure it's really a boundary. restFrac gives 1 - the fractional part. else { var xMax = x + xWidth; var x1 = floor(xMax); if (cubes[x1] && !cubes[x1-1]) x -= frac(xMax); // Gives the fractional part. }[/code] It's not _perfectly_ symmetric, but it should be close enough. In dimensions higher than 1D you have to apply this tiled for each face, with a loop [code] for (var y_ = y0; y_ <= y1; y_++) for (var z_ = z0; z_ <= z1; z_++)[/code] for example. You should cache all the bounding values beforehand of course. That said, this code is only for plain grids and I'm just making it up here. [editline]edit[/editline] Fixed upper bound collision code.
I'm planning for each entity to have an AABB(mins/maxs of xyz) in local space(eg, 0,0,0 1,1,1). The thing is, plain AABB is easy but then you have the problem with when you move too fast you're able to move through blocks; thats what I'm trying to work around. [editline]24th September 2016[/editline] How terrible of an idea would it be, to calculate physics, have my world object generate a list of cubes within an AABB as a vector? [editline]24th September 2016[/editline] Either I'm overcomplicating this a ton or this is oddly difficult.
[QUOTE=Map in a box;51097526]I'm planning for each entity to have an AABB(mins/maxs of xyz) in local space(eg, 0,0,0 1,1,1). The thing is, plain AABB is easy but then you have the problem with when you move too fast you're able to move through blocks; thats what I'm trying to work around. [editline]24th September 2016[/editline] How terrible of an idea would it be, to calculate physics, have my world object generate a list of cubes within an AABB as a vector? [editline]24th September 2016[/editline] Either I'm overcomplicating this a ton or this is oddly difficult.[/QUOTE] Add substepping for fast moving objects, it's the easiest solution without having to do continuous collision detection which in comparison is a lot more complicated.
How to make a Voxel engine: Step 1) Render a cube [img]http://h12.imgup.net/step1c11a.png[/img] Nice. Step 2) Do that a lot [img]http://w05.imgup.net/step2804e.png[/img] [I]Perfect.[/I] My brain is not made for three dimensions.
I missed this forum, the web dev forum is so boring.
[QUOTE=reevezy67;51098461]I missed this forum, the web dev forum is so boring.[/QUOTE] After this sentence, Don't you ever dare to come back to the web dev section ... :cry:
[QUOTE=reevezy67;51098461]I missed this forum, the web dev forum is so boring.[/QUOTE] the webdev waywo guys rate me dumb :( at least you guys rate me programming king ironically.
[QUOTE=reevezy67;51098461]I missed this forum, the web dev forum is so boring.[/QUOTE] web dev is lame
Why is it lame? You can do 3D and shit on the web now too, I'm writing a realtime multiplayer card game. I've gotten past the annoying tools, Typescript helps.
So I made a [url=https://gist.github.com/Falcqn/1946136c87a3369f54328efdce29b394]tiny little library[/url] in Lua to make doing the stats and tests for dice n stuff for a tabletop game I'm making quicker and easier.
[QUOTE=FalconKrunch;51098177]Add substepping for fast moving objects, it's the easiest solution without having to do continuous collision detection which in comparison is a lot more complicated.[/QUOTE] Substepping is so unfuturistic~ Sweeping is also that much harder. I might end up going with simply stepping for sanity's sake.
[QUOTE=reevezy67;51098461]I missed this forum, the web dev forum is so boring.[/QUOTE] I like this thread because there's so much positivity. Not that I'm complaining about the constructive criticism in web dev, but posting something here is like "Wow! That's so awesome! You're awesome! You did a great job and should be super proud of yourself!" posting in web dev is like "cool. Your padding sucks, your fonts suck, your color scheme is shit, you're ugly and your mother dresses you funny"
[QUOTE=proboardslol;51099198]I like this thread because there's so much positivity. Not that I'm complaining about the constructive criticism in web dev, but posting something here is like "Wow! That's so awesome! You're awesome! You did a great job and should be super proud of yourself!" posting in web dev is like "cool. Your padding sucks, your fonts suck, your color scheme is shit, you're ugly and your mother dresses you funny"[/QUOTE] tacky post, try again [editline]24th September 2016[/editline] please use proper html in your posts next time
is there a reliable way to messure let's say "average time needed to render a frame" on android ? I use a real device but it outputs what ever it wants ... run 200 sprites per frame and get output A run 200 sprites per frame again get output B run 100 sprites per frame get output A ... A < B i am confused... probably the phone downclocks cpu and gpu cause it gets hot ...
[url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_WxkitgI9M]cra0kalo what the fuck are you doing[/url]
Hello! I'm new to this forum. And was told about it by a friend that I could show off work here and take ideas from other people. Well, thats exactly what I need. I started a 3d game engine last night called "Keplar Engine". It will be cross platform and is coded in C++, OpenGL / SDL. Its been a great project. I coded ~1500 lines last night. I was really in the zone. I got terrain working (you can load terrain from a heightmap, the engine will read the heightmap then generate the terrain, I got a vector3 library working, I got camera partially working, and I got skybox working.) So quite a lot done last night. Heres what it looks like atm [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/2jBhvoO.png[/IMG] Its a WIP, I'm going to texture the terrain later on. All suggestions of what I can do to this engine are welcome! I love coding! :) - 0xDEADBEEF Happy coding [highlight](User was permabanned for this post ("Alt of permabanned user: Verideth" - layla))[/highlight]
One of the best first posts I've seen on this forum - just one tip though, no need to sign your post - your username is already next to it. For one night of work that looks really impressive too - cool stuff!
[QUOTE=MattJeanes;51099530]One of the best first posts I've seen on this forum - just one tip though, no need to sign your post - your username is already next to it. For one night of work that looks really impressive too - cool stuff![/QUOTE] Thanks! I'll keep that in mind :)
[QUOTE=0xDEADBEEF;51099512]Hello! I'm new to this forum. And was told about it by a friend that I could show off work here and take ideas from other people. Well, thats exactly what I need. I started a 3d game engine last night called "Keplar Engine". It will be cross platform and is coded in C++, OpenGL / SDL. Its been a great project. I coded ~1500 lines last night. I was really in the zone. I got terrain working (you can load terrain from a heightmap, the engine will read the heightmap then generate the terrain, I got a vector3 library working, I got camera partially working, and I got skybox working.) So quite a lot done last night. Heres what it looks like atm Its a WIP, I'm going to texture the terrain later on. All suggestions of what I can do to this engine are welcome! I love coding! :) - 0xDEADBEEF Happy coding[/QUOTE] More 3D? Yes please [editline]24th September 2016[/editline] [QUOTE=Map in a box;51093976]Experiencing a weird weird error where if I fly in a few directions, this happens: [img]http://i.imgur.com/qBAsuX1.png[/img] [/quote] Well I fixed this problem by binding my VAO in a different order. Not sure why, might be an Intel issue, but it fixed it so not complaining
[QUOTE=MattJeanes;51099530]One of the best first posts I've seen on this forum - just one tip though, no need to sign your post - your username is already next to it. For one night of work that looks really impressive too - cool stuff![/QUOTE] its not his first post, its just yet another verideth alt
[QUOTE=reevezy67;51098975]Why is it lame? You can do 3D and shit on the web now too, I'm writing a realtime multiplayer card game. I've gotten past the annoying tools, Typescript helps.[/QUOTE] Typescript is sweet. [editline]24th September 2016[/editline] Our team just won at Slovenian Game Conference with game Floatlands. I feel sweet after a long time :smile:.
[QUOTE=0xDEADBEEF;51099546]Thanks! I'll keep that in mind :)[/QUOTE] Also, many people on FP are cynical assholes, so it's better to be passive and watch how the people here 'work' before posting in other parts of the forums. Very nice work with your engine tho. Is it based on any kind of graphics library or are you making it completely from scratch?
Sorry, you need to Log In to post a reply to this thread.