• High-end Dust 514 load-out to cost about 24 cents, but don't die
    80 replies, posted
[url]http://www.shacknews.com/article/74352/high-end-dust-514-load-out-to-cost-about-24[/url]
Well, this is gonna be interesting. Can't wait to see how this model plays out, looks like CCP is handling microtransactions differently.
[QUOTE=tepholman;35622493]The dirty console peasants down in the mud doing the dirty work for the glorious PC master race capsuleer gods roaming the cosmos in vast, shiny spaceships. Just as it should be. :v:[/QUOTE] Can't wait
It's a pity this isn't on PC. It's nice to see EVE spreading though.
It's just like eve itself. because of this exact reason, this wont appeal to 12 year olds. Hopefully it'll attract more mature guys who actually use tactics and value their character's life. You train that character, give him weapons and materials, etc. Just like a real soldier, you don't want him to die in 10 seconds.
It's part of Eve, if it wasn't like that we'd have a problem
For pennies? So now we have nanotransactions :v: Neat concept though
This seems like a very good model for games that want players to seriously invest value in the well being of their characters.
24 cents a life? Even for a dedicated gamer, 100 deaths means basically $25. I've died that much in a single sitting of TF2. If it's 24 cents per 100 then that's a bit more reasonable
[QUOTE=FalconKrunch;36331778]Can't wait[/QUOTE] And then the dirty console peasants fire a giant fuck-off laser that instapops a dreadnought :tinfoil:
[QUOTE=TheTalon;36333976]24 cents a life? Even for a dedicated gamer, 100 deaths means basically $25. I've died that much in a single sitting of TF2. If it's 24 cents per 100 then that's a bit more reasonable[/QUOTE] No, 24 cents per 100 deaths is dirt cheap and a steal. I'd imagine those 100 lives would last about 2-3 hours or more so long as you're not directly running into enemy fire. But I'd imagine 20 dollars per 100 would be a bit more reasonable.
This is for the best gear right? You don't have to buy this stuff.
Yeah it's not 24 cents per life, it's a single loadout of the best microtransaction gear is 24 cents, but you buy it in bulk. And from what I've heard from the beta, the purchased gear isn't mechanically better, just easier to use/fit. Beyond viable to play free
[QUOTE=DarkMonkey;36334175]Yeah it's not 24 cents per life, it's a single loadout of the best microtransaction gear is 24 cents, but you buy it in bulk. [/QUOTE] And every time you die you lose 1 copy of that loadout (which is 24 cents) So effectively you do have to pay 24 cents per life for the good stuff
You can buy regular yet great weapons with regular isk too, which is earned in game.
So it's basically like buying any weapon/armor in a F2P MMO, except instead of some durability stat, they just give you a bunch and you lose one each life. The difference seems pretty negligible honestly.
So will this trait spread to say buyable weapons? Like lets say I spend 1000 credits or whatever EVE universe uses for moneys on a gun, and I promptly step outside my base and die for some lame reason, would I lose the gun I spent my money on? If thats the case that could kill the game for me...
[QUOTE=TheTalon;36333976]24 cents a life? Even for a dedicated gamer, 100 deaths means basically $25. I've died that much in a single sitting of TF2. If it's 24 cents per 100 then that's a bit more reasonable[/QUOTE] this isn't TF2
I really like the die-and-lose-your-shit concept. It makes players less gung-ho and more cautious about how to approach a situation.
[QUOTE=legolover122;36335214]So will this trait spread to say buyable weapons? Like lets say I spend 1000 credits or whatever EVE universe uses for moneys on a gun, and I promptly step outside my base and die for some lame reason, would I lose the gun I spent my money on? If thats the case that could kill the game for me...[/QUOTE] Yes, you would lose the gun forever.
[QUOTE=_Kent_;36335421]Yes, you would lose the gun forever.[/QUOTE] They better make getting money easy as fuck in the game then.
I could understand this model on the PC but I have a terrible feeling console players will turn this game into a camping trip simulator. "I don't want to lose all my shit, better just sit in this corner." Meanwhile nothing gets done for the EVE players, they get pissed and stop pushing funds for 514 operations, fewer online matches, playerbase dwindles.
"Cool, cant wait to see this." PS3-Exclusive "Fuck"
[QUOTE=TheTalon;36333976]24 cents a life? Even for a dedicated gamer, 100 deaths means basically $25. I've died that much in a single sitting of TF2. If it's 24 cents per 100 then that's a bit more reasonable[/QUOTE] I think the difference is that with TF2 all you lose is a few seconds of play. You die and have to wait for the respawn timer and then you can go off and do things again, where as in Dust, if you die you lose everything on that character. At least according to the article.
I feel the need to point out that, in the name of ensuring the micro transactions weren't game breaking, they fit the devs out in the best equipment, and brought in some "pro" FPS player who used the rookie stuff. The pros won. [editline]15th June 2012[/editline] [QUOTE=cccritical;36336000]I could understand this model on the PC but I have a terrible feeling console players will turn this game into a camping trip simulator. "I don't want to lose all my shit, better just sit in this corner." Meanwhile nothing gets done for the EVE players, they get pissed and stop pushing funds for 514 operations, fewer online matches, playerbase dwindles.[/QUOTE] The games are totally independant. Which is to say that, while they can interact, if EVE were to die before Dust, Dust could carry on, and vice-versa.
[QUOTE=TheTalon;36333976]24 cents a life? Even for a dedicated gamer, 100 deaths means basically $25. I've died that much in a single sitting of TF2. If it's 24 cents per 100 then that's a bit more reasonable[/QUOTE] However, that is only the case if you choose to pay for your loadouts with real money. Given that in EVE it is possible for a player to pay for their [I]subscription[/I] with only in game earnings, it is almost certain that DUST players can earn sufficient ISK to buy these suits without needing to blow 25 dollars on 100 of them. In addition, it's 24 cents for one of the most high end suits possible. Given the huge price differences between tech 1 ships and tech 2 ships in EVE (a tech 2 variant on a 300,000 ISK frigate can go for tens of millions) I doubt normal suits will be anywhere near that much.
I'd much rather just pay for the game than have these microtransactions.
It's a shame Microsoft were fucking faggots about gamertags so we don't get this.
It's likely that the corporations you're with will be spending the money on this equipment if you're with a big enough corp anyway.
[QUOTE=Noss;36338242]It's likely that the corporations you're with will be spending the money on this equipment if you're with a big enough corp anyway.[/QUOTE] True dis, planets are worth enough that paying a couple hundred million to pay for all your merc's equipment is a decent investment.
Sorry, you need to Log In to post a reply to this thread.